Madonna's performance on Haiti telethon!

cosmic_system

Guest jamesshot

Listening to our Alternative Rock station( 94.5 the Buzz) on the way to work this morning, the DJ's both said Madonna gave a good performance. The main DJ is Rod Ryan. His show is also broadcast to other cities besides Houston.

I agree, this was her best vocal performance of LAP imo. She was fantastic. I didn't give any notice to her hair or cheeks either. It's all about her singing to me.

Exactly. And even if she sounded like shit, it's the fact she lent her name and gave her time to help raise money. It's so easy to sit behind a computer screen and critique and criticize her, but nothing said to try to smear this woman's appearance means nothing because she took time out to do something worthy and charitable.

That bitter ignorant moron Bob Lefsetz at it again :electropop:

nymag.com

Was Madonna Lip-synching During the ‘Hope for Haiti’ Telethon?

1/25/10 at 4:00 PM

Impossible to say for sure! However, lovably irascible music-industry curmudgeon Bob Lefsetz is at the forefront of the speculation that Her Madgesty wasn't singing live during the star-studded telethon on Friday night (unlike her "4 Minutes" boytoy, Mr. Justin Timberlake). His evidence? "You can’t clap against a turned-on microphone like that without some kind of extra noise." Well, even though we don't have the same sort of experience with live mikes that someone like Barry the Roadie does, we have noticed on more than one (possibly drunken) karaoke adventure that hand-clapping while singing creates all sorts of weird audio feedback, and no such audio clues exist in the following clip. Granted, we are guessing that the telethon had access to better mikes than we do in East Village dive bars, but still, we have not been able to come to a definitive conclusion as to whether her vocals were indeed sung live. So why don't you, the loyal Vulture reader, take a gander and let us know what you think?

--------------

lefsetz.com

The Telethon

Was Madonna Prerecorded?

"From: Albert Gibson

Re: Madonna Telethon Fraud

Previously recorded. You can’t clap against a turned-on microphone like that without some kind of extra noise. What a fraud."

Wow, that’s what I love about the Internet. I was watching the big screen remarking to myself how well Madonna was singing, because she can’t sing, she can belt huskily, she’s learned how to do that, but all her defenders say she’s learned how to sing and I thought she finally had but after getting this guy’s e-mail I pulled up the video and damn if he isn’t right.

He’s certainly right re the microphone.

But watching on a computer, it’s obvious she isn’t live.

Right now, this is the only YouTube video, but what do you think?

:doh:

I mean, how many hundreds of times has Madonna performed this time -- with a handheld microphone and clapping along? I'm sure she's got good equipment and has probably perfected (with practice) a way to strike her hand and minimize microphone feedback. She does rehearse a lot -- notoriously. And you can kind of hear the volume level go in and out as she holds the microphone a little closer or a little farther away from her mouth.

And that still doesn't really even touch the whole 'forgetting to come back in at the right time' -- where her vocals were absent until she came back in on "mystery..." (Yes, she was caught up in the song, and on most other arrangements of the song, she'd go for another couple measures before coming back in. This was an extremely trim version of the song.)

Guest bluejean

The suggestion Madonna was miming is completely ridiculous :lmao:

When she was clapping she was hitting the palms of her hands together which weren't touching the mic. And afew times her hands do hit the mic and you can hear it make a sound.

FFS, it is obviously sang live. She sounded good, not great. It wasn't perfect but she gave a great overall performance. If it was pre recorded then there would have been no mistakes.

Plus, you can hear her hand claps on the microphone.

I also love that the biggest complaints are her hair being blond and her outfit being black. :lmao: Her fans are ridiculous. It's like they just can't let go and enjoy something for what it is. Regardless of how good you think she looked, she performed with that Madonna energy that kept her career and dreams alive for 30 years. I'm guessing that if Madonna wore a rainbow and had brunette hair it would suddenly become a LEGENDARY performance. :rotfl: Me and my best friend (only person I know who loves Madonna like I do) watched this together again on Sunday. It's so great to perform along with the choir leaders dance. It's like Vogueing and shouting silently. P.S BLACK IS THE BEST TONE THAT EVER EXISTED! Black, black, BLACK! Love it.

Now some of the Youtube commentators are suggesting that "parts" of it were lipsynched (e.g. the word "Life" in the opening line!). This is so ridiculous! As others have said, you can clearly hear banging in certain sections when she's clapping her hands, so obviously sometimes her left hand hit the microphone, other times it didn't. Idiots.

Guest groovyguy

BBC: Madonna provided one of the few upbeat moments from New York with her choir-backed performance of Like A Prayer.

Hartford Courant: But it was hard to miss when Madonna fronted a choir to sing a full throated "Like a Prayer," ... Madonna actually sounded great singing "Like a Prayer" in front of a big choir (but she looked a little like Adriana De Cerva from "The Sopranos").

Los Angeles Times: Mary J. Blige, Justin Timberlake, Madonna and Wyclef Jean are among those who bring real artistic achievement to the earthquake relief fundraiser ... Madonna also offered a prayer -- her own "Like a Prayer," perfectly appropriate for the occasion, considering the famous video for the song, which had her embracing an actor depicting the Caribbean saint Martin de Porres.

The Detroit News: Highlights included Madonna singing "Like a Prayer" while backed by a full choir.

Orlando Sentinel: Madonna staged her own revival, backed by a rousing choir, on "Like a Prayer."

NY Times: Madonna performed "Like a Prayer" — unsteadily, it should be said — even though its lyrics, about submitting to a higher power, have very little to do with struggle, or tragedy, or uplift. For 20 years, that song has been the symbol of one of the most tumultuous and controversial periods in Madonna's life. But for five minutes tonight, it was pure, put in service of something bigger than the singer. Of the artists who chose to perform their own songs as opposed to covers — it was about an even split — Madonna was among the more indulgent.

FOX: Madonna sang a moving version of "Like a Prayer."

MTV: Madonna: "Like a Prayer" -- Initially, the controversy surrounding the video for "Like a Prayer" overshadowed this stirring song, which was the lead single and title track from the singer's fourth album. Pepsi courted the Material Girl as a spokesperson and used "Like a Prayer" in a huge campaign before the world saw the imagery from the video, which included stigmata and hints of an interracial love scene with St. Martin de Porres. Madonna's "Hope for Haiti Now" performance was filled with respect. Backed by a choir, the iconic singer belted out a hushed rendition of "Like a Prayer." And the song's chorus — "When you call my name, it's like a little prayer, I'm down on my knees, I wanna take you there" — was as inspirational as ever.

Canoe: Other musical standouts: Madonna's uplifting version of Like a Prayer, featuring a youth choir.

MTV: 9:21 Backed by a small army of backup singers, Madonna performs a soaring, boisterous version of "Like a Prayer." We can't help but clap along.

thumbs.gif

Guest groovyguy

MTV

Jan 22 2010 10:03 PM EST

Madonna Brings Classic 'Like A Prayer' To 'Hope For Haiti Now' Telethon

Singer performs the hit 1989 single backed by a choir.

Backed by a choir, Madonna performed her 1989 single "Like a Prayer" at the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon on Friday (January 22). She performed in the telethon's New York studio, as did Bruce Springsteen, Shakira and Sting.

The arrangement of "Like a Prayer" took its cues from the original version's instructions to "let the choir sing," with the only non-vocal instrumentation provided by a guitarist and a keyboard player. It was a shining performance, with the choir serving as a perfect counterpoint to Madonna's vocals.

Last week, Madonna endorsed the relief efforts of the charity organization Partners in Health, donating $250,000 toward their work with victims of the Haitian earthquake. Partners in Health works to bring modern medical care to the world's poorest communities and it has had a presence in Haiti for 20 years.

"My prayers are with the people of Haiti," she said in a statement on her Web site. "I can't imagine the terrible pain and suffering they are experiencing. Sadly the depths of the tragedy are just becoming known and the need for our support grows more urgent with every passing moment.

"I urge all of my friends and fans around the world to join me collectively to match my contribution or give in any way you can," she continued. "We must act now."

Amazing and yes, a shining performance!

Also, the fact that she was wearing leather gloves would soften any clapping sound.

Some people just refuse to accept that Madonna has a good voice no matter what.

www.huffingtonpost.com

LOS ANGELES — More than 80 million people tuned in for last week's all-star "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon.

The Nielsen Co. said Monday that an estimated 83 million people saw at least a brief part of the fundraiser carried Friday on 33 TV networks. The audience watching the two-hour event at any given time averaged 24 million viewers.