HITS: Madonna will sell 65-70k in her debut week

thebigham

was that estimate from HDaily or Billboard? If indeed thats the kind of lead Paramore have, it wont even be "that" close - as much as it was looking like days ago. wow.

TIL TUESDAY

Hi Gary,

I have a question about double CDs, and how they count towards sales.

Madonna's career-spanning greatest hits collection "Celebration" is out Tuesday. The same day, Mariah Carey releases one full-length CD, "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" (and a digital version with extra remixes). How will sales count for the albums; does each count as one sale, according to Nielsen SoundScan?

Also, will the DVD sales of Madonna's video collection count towards Billboard's video sales charts?

Thank you,

Bryan Sanchez

Denver, Colorado

Hi Bryan,

Sept. 29 is certainly shaping up as a Super Tuesday, with Madonna and Mariah releasing new albums, as are Paramore, Miranda Lambert, AFI, Mario, Selena Gomez & the Scene, Breaking Benjamin, Lynyrd Skynyrd and, in another coincidence, Barbra Streisand.

You are correct: sales of Madonna's album will count as one to Nielsen SoundScan and Billboard. As Billboard 200 chart manager Keith Caulfield notes, "any sale in SoundScan has always counted as just one sale towards Billboard charts, no matter how many pieces are inside a package. Be it a box of 20 CDs or a double-vinyl album, it is still just one sale."

According to a Warner Bros. press release, the songs on "Celebration" "have all been remastered and selected by Madonna and her fans. They cover the expanse of the Material Girl's extraordinary career of hits, including 'Everybody,' 'Express Yourself,' 'Vogue' and '4 Minutes.'

"'Celebration' will be available in a two-CD set as well as a single CD. There will also be a 'Celebration' DVD released simultaneously which includes the video visionary's best videos including several that have never before been available on DVD."

A Warner Bros. spokesperson says that the "Celebration" DVD will not be sold as a stand-alone product. Thus, it will not be eligible to chart on any of Billboard's video charts. Similar to Sugarland's recent "LIVE on the Inside" CD/DVD, for example, because the DVD is sold only as part of the package including the CD, it will be eligible to chart on Billboard's album, not video, chart.

I got confused by this...Can anyone really confirm that the DVD sales will count as part of the ALBUM sales?

Really? Then feel free to provide a counter argument that proves otherwise.

Internet snark is what's ridiculous...and lazy.

I agree 100% with what you said about the Mariah obsession on here. Did it come across differently? It was unintentional if it did.

A Warner Bros. spokesperson says that the "Celebration" DVD will not be sold as a stand-alone product. Thus, it will not be eligible to chart on any of Billboard's video charts. Similar to Sugarland's recent "LIVE on the Inside" CD/DVD, for example, because the DVD is sold only as part of the package including the CD, it will be eligible to chart on Billboard's album, not video, chart.

I got confused by this...Can anyone really confirm that the DVD sales will count as part of the ALBUM sales?

This doesn't make any sense at all, because the DVD *is* available separately in the US.

This doesn't make any sense at all, because the DVD *is* available separately in the US.

EXACTLY..WHERE IN THE WORLD DID THE WRITER OF THIS RESPONSE GOT HIS INFO.

I'M LOOKING AT WALMART.COM, AND CELEBRATION DVD IS NOW #4 AND THE 2CD IS #9 AT BESTSELLERS LIST.

That is crazy sounding. I hope the DVD does indeed chart separately -- although, so few have been in the stores, it may be difficult for it to chart! (Or, maybe that chart isn't so busy in general, so it will top it easily... I don't really know.)

I'm curious about the 1 CD and the 2 CD -- do sales of those two separate formats get combined for her chart figure? (Sorry if that's a ridiculously basic question.)

Guest missy bi_tch

That is crazy sounding. I hope the DVD does indeed chart separately -- although, so few have been in the stores, it may be difficult for it to chart! (Or, maybe that chart isn't so busy in general, so it will top it easily... I don't really know.)

I'm curious about the 1 CD and the 2 CD -- do sales of those two separate formats get combined for her chart figure? (Sorry if that's a ridiculously basic question.)

They will chart separately much like Radiohead since Billboard treats them as separate releases with different tracklistings, think Evita.

Guest missy bi_tch

1CD and 2CD sales are combined and I think we won't even know which one sold what separately.

Nope.

Evita charted separately, first as a 2CD at #2 and then the single CD charted at #196 or sthg.

In 2008, Radiohead's greatest hits from Capitol charted separately too and I wrote in to Billboard to ask why they charted in two positions. The reply was that instead of being an expanded version of the single CD with a few more tracks or remixed tracks, the 2-Cd version had a diferent tracklisting and most than just add-ons.

Guest Danny86

I know about Evita, but this is charting together. Last year Celine's GH had a similar 1CD and 2CD like Madonna's and they were combined.

If they were charting separately, the Billboard item about the first day sales would have mentioned the 65k is only one edition, but did it?

Do you think Madonna's appearance on Saturday Night Live will help sales of "Celebration'? Her skit with Lady GaGa will have people talking but, will it translate into sales?

I checked again at WALMART ONLINE STORE..and THE CELEBRATION DVD is NUMBER 2 now at TOP CDS and 2CD AT 11..IS WALMART HAVE A BIG EFFECT ON SALES?

Guest missy bi_tch

I know about Evita, but this is charting together. Last year Celine's GH had a similar 1CD and 2CD like Madonna's and they were combined.

If they were charting separately, the Billboard item about the first day sales would have mentioned the 65k is only one edition, but did it?

Then, why did Radiohead chart separately?

The 1cd and 2cd will chart together on the Billboard 200 like Celine Dion did last year.

Who knows about Radiohead? Billboard probably changed their policy since then.

I was at Best Buy last night. The 2cd is now priced at $22.99. It's not going to sell now.

The single-dsic Evita was released 8-9 months after the double album in the USA (probably with different catalog number), so, it charted separately. I don't know how catalog numbers work- do the two Celebrations have different catalog numbers? And what of deluxe editions of albums released later on?

Whatever the cases for the above, sales will be merged for single-disc and double-disc editions of Celebration.

The single-dsic Evita was released 8-9 months after the double album in the USA (probably with different catalog number), so, it charted separately. I don't know how catalog numbers work- do the two Celebrations have different catalog numbers? And what of deluxe editions of albums released later on?

Whatever the cases for the above, sales will be merged for single-disc and double-disc editions of Celebration.

The Evita products had different album titles - one being Music from the Motion Picture, the other Selections from the Motion Picture -