HITS: Madonna will sell 65-70k in her debut week

thebigham

I am sure Madonna could do something about that. She is a very powerful person.

Like what?

It's Madonna's music and Warner's product to sell. What is the point of WB if she even has to worry about getting her CDs into stores and on New Release racks? And then they make most of the profit off the CDs anyway? It's easy to say she's lazy and a visit to Oprah will shift a million copies but the reality is Warner just doesn't want to put money and effort behind someone that is now gone, who sued them just a few years ago.

since the general punlic has no idea the Celebration is even out, the letterman appearance and the KISS fm call-in will help spread the word. BUT anyone looking for HITS to up the prediction tomorrow will be sadly upset. Out of the few million people who will tune into letterman and the 6 million or so KISS listeners I would only imagine that a few thousand (if even that many) will actually go out and buy the album. Revolver may benefit the best out of this promo, because I'm sure Ryan will mention it tomorrow, which may make the audience tuning in to check it out on I-tunes.

BTW- Revolver sounds fine on the computer via itunes, but it sounds utterly atrocious in the car.

Letterman had been topping The Tonight Show lately (outside of last week, when he was in reruns), so it may be more than a few million. ;)

Few GH albums- especially in recent times- peak at #1, so I don't know hopw the album would do that, regardless of promo. Albums by Elvis and The Beatles did for reasons that do not need discussion. Garth Brooks' Ultimate Hits did around 250K a couple years back (double CD that came with a DVD of all his videos and was priced at $11.98 at Wal-Mart), but even that did not enter at #1.

HITS updates its forecasts on Friday. I'm expecting it to stay in the 60K-70K tange. I will be satisfied with a top 10 placement.

Letterman had been topping The Tonight Show lately (outside of last week, when he was in reruns), so it may be more than a few million. ;)

Few GH albums- especially in recent times- peak at #1, so I don't know hopw the album would do that, regardless of promo. Albums by Elvis and The Beatles did for reasons that do not need discussion. Garth Brooks' Ultimate Hits did around 250K a couple years back (double CD that came with a DVD of all his videos and was priced at $11.98 at Wal-Mart), but even that did not enter at #1.

HITS updates its forecasts on Friday. I'm expecting it to stay in the 60K-70K tange. I will be satisfied with a top 10 placement.

i WILL ONLY BE HAPPY WIT A HUNDRED!

bY THE WAY..DO WE ALSO GET THE NUMBERS FOR THE DVD?DOES BILLBOARD ALSO PUBLISHES THEM?TY.

Guest jamesshot

Mariah promoted, and look at her numbers. Far from spectacular.

Radio isn't interested in Madonna, the kids aren't interested in Madonna....so I don't know what kind of promo you expected her to do. An Oprah appearance might have given it a boost, bu all the radio call ins, and performances of a song no one is interested in, would have been a waste of time.

You can't compare Mariah's latest to Madonna's in terms of promotion. One is a new CD with a mediocre hit soon after another new CD with a mediocre hit. The other is a comprehensive collection of huge hits from the biggest selling female artist of all time. You have no idea how much Mariah's promo helped her. Her numbers could have been truly abysmal if she didn't do what she did.

Madonna's GH is NOT geared towards "kids" or teens. It is geared towards ALL the fans who have ever loved Madonna and her music. If ANYTHING she does will sell in today's market, it is a THIS comprehensive GH.

i'M JUST WONDERING, COZ IT SEEMS EVERY MUSICIAN THAT HAVE ALBUMS ON SALE NOW HAVE GUESTED ON OPRAH,(MARIAH, BARBRA, JAY Z AND ETC.) AND MADONNA, FOR HER PART, IS NOT AT ALL..

You can't compare Mariah's latest to Madonna's in terms of promotion. One is a new CD with a mediocre hit soon after another new CD with a mediocre hit. The other is a comprehensive collection of huge hits from the biggest selling female artist of all time. You have no idea how much Mariah's promo helped her. Her numbers could have been truly abysmal if she didn't do what she did.

Madonna's GH is NOT geared towards "kids" or teens. It is geared towards ALL the fans who have ever loved Madonna and her music. If ANYTHING she does will sell in today's market, it is a THIS comprehensive GH.

After xmas Celebration will probably have sold more. A Madonna hits CD in time will sell itself. And keep in mind she's had GHs collections before, one just a few years ago. People aren't really foaming at the mouth for a Madonna hits CD at this time.

davejr, if you need therapy in regards to the underwhelming sales of Celebration in the first week, I can direct ya to the proper resources.

thank you for your concern.I really need to...Maybe I should change my name to chartfreak?

It is Madonna's fault she is only going to sell 60-70k. Not much promo equals not much sales.

What about those fans who refused to buy her GH?

And now everyone wonder why she did so bad. :doh:

Guest jamesshot

What about those fans who refused to buy her GH?

And now everyone wonder why she did so bad. :doh:

Like me, they will change their minds. It is far too tempting. I saw the official track list and I just couldn't resist. All those great songs on 2 CDs? Irresistable.

Most of the casual/lapsed fans I have talked to intend on buying this. These people haven't bought a Madonna CD since ROL if even then. But most didn't even know about it until I told them.

What do you mean fans who "refused" to buy the CD?

More like fans who... have all the songs already!

Are you aware that all the songs are remastered? There are some hiccups but some fans have proved it was blown out of proportion.

Like me, they will change their minds. It is far too tempting. I saw the official track list and I just couldn't resist. All those great songs on 2 CDs? Irresistable.

Most of the casual/lapsed fans I have talked to intend on buying this. These people haven't bought a Madonna CD since ROL if even then. But most didn't even know about it until I told them.

Although I have started the Not-Buying-DVD thread (Mainly to spoof Kramm), but I'd placed an order for all 3 format (1CD/2CD/2DVD) from Japan as well as Taiwan.

Yes, I couldn't resist either.

Guest Bad Robot

Are you aware that all the songs are remastered? There are some hiccups but some fans have proved it was blown out of proportion.

To me that's like saying they changed the punctuation in the lyrics...

Madonna looks radiantly happy, she's with a hot man, she's stinking rich, she's got gorgeous children...what's there to be unhappy about?

As somebody previously said, what's Madonna got left to prove, she's done it all career wise!

I doubt she gives a fuck if she's outsold by "Pariah"!

Some people on this forum need to get a life, honestly! :lmao:

And the U.S is the only country where Mariah can sell CDs, she's pretty much anonymous elsewhere.

I hate those predictions. It's because of this her lambs would now buy even more copies and Mimi would pull something last minute. I wont be surprised if Mimi ends up #1.

Looks like it is going to sell less in the USA than the UK, after all. Mariah's numbers are disappointing.

oh yeah... she last opened with 460K right? oh no for her...

Madonna looks radiantly happy, she's with a hot man, she's stinking rich, she's got gorgeous children...what's there to be unhappy about?

As somebody previously said, what's Madonna got left to prove, she's done it all career wise!

I doubt she gives a fuck if she's outsold by "Pariah"!

Some people on this forum need to get a life, honestly! :lmao:

And the U.S is the only country where Mariah can sell CDs, she's pretty much anonymous elsewhere.

AGREED :wacko::thumbsup:

This is exactly why I was saying in another thread that Madonna needs to do some MAJOR promotion! I know she appeared on Letterman last night,but it's not enough.She should be all over the talk shows this week....'Ellen','Oprah','Good Morning America','Tyra',etc.Gone are the days when she can release something and it sells millions instantly.Artists have to get out and there and WORK,if they want a successful album.If Madonna did a week of TV appearances and interviews,it would ensure that 'Celebration' does reasonably well.If she doesn't start promoting this thing,it'll be forgotten in two weeks.

An appearance on 'Oprah' this week would have really helped sales.

Guest gloriesbarcelona

Mmm, not that good then.

She needs to promote the damn thing during it's first couple of weeks or it will be forgotten within a month, sales will go downhill after that...

To tell you the truth although I am a big Madge fan I'll probably pass on buying her latest GH because I already have all those song in other cds and I've downloaded her 3 new ones. I'm pretty certain many other people feel this way.

What I am really happy about however is that Mariblah Cow's low numbers mean that the countdown to the end of her career is here! A mere 17 months ago she had a first week sales of 463000 but ended up selling just a little over 1.2m. Even if it hits #1 this time(God forbid!) I doubt it will make it to 0.8m! Despite strong radio support(payola?) her records sell less and less; "Touch My Body" had unbelievable airplay numbers yet it was the worse-selling #1 of 2008; "Obsessed" is selling really mediocre despite its heavy airplay; she has lost a staggering 4.8m buyers between TEOM and E=MC2! She is 40 now and is clearly no Madonna to re-invent herself or Streisand to maintain respect. She is becoming somebody of little importance! I say good riddance!

Mmm, not that good then.

She needs to promote the damn thing during it's first couple of weeks or it will be forgotten within a month, sales will go downhill after that...

I agree,she needs to step up the promotion.Many people don't even know about this project.Hopefully,the Letterman appearance is the beginning of a big media blitz to promote the album.

Guest Danny86

You're still acting like promo would make it sell MILLIONS more. It wouldn't. Even with the promo you're all wishing for, it would not even sell 1/10th of The Immaculate Collection and it would be below 1 million in hard sales, so it would still be called a flop anyway and the profit would be minimal. Once again, I'm not getting why would it concern fans that people are not buying Madonna CDs in 2009 when the biggest album of the year will sell as much as ROL did 10 years ago. The album sales era is over and Madonna doesn't have to bend over backwards to sell a couple of more CDs to prove she's still relevant.

Like I said, her own record label will be happy if she sells above 100k with her next studio album in its first week and they will focus on getting another massive tour. Honestly, isn't it easier to accept that instead of going over and over again how "lazy" Madonna is for not selling 300k CDs more?

Danny,I understand what you're saying and I agree with some of it.Still, we can't deny that 60-70k is a huge disappointment.The media (and non-fans) will jump on this and declare that Madonna is "over".It gives them alot of ammunition.

I really truly believe that,with a slew of TV appearances on Oprah and other shows this week,she could have easily sold more than 100k in her first week...possibly around 150k.