Celebration (album) reviews

debord

How do they justify converting the All Music review of 4.5/5 stars to a score of 70/100??? Confessions was given 3.5/5 and they converted that to 70/100, too, so I'd say they've made a mistake. This would affect the album's overall score (obviously). It should end up in the "Universally Praised" category.

Guest bluejean

its interesting because this sentiment is obviously not alone, especially with the 80's having its FULL ON renaissance.

but, when we get to the reviews of the last couple of albums, they beg and plead for the avant garde madonna. where has she gone? the woman who pulls in the new producers?

and isnt ray of light her opus among those nothing music snobs> its certainly not mine.

its what its always been. whatever shes not at the moment, they wish for the other.

as far as im concerned, theyre right. its always been about the 80's but she still maintained influence, success and great songs during the 90's unlike five year old finger fucker jackson whos probably on their pedestal right now. but from music on, she was fantastic. that, my friends is a fact.

sorry ray of lighters.

American Life better than Ray Of Light? You must be joking.

The reason I love Madonna is not because of the 80's at all. It is because of the 80's, 90's and the 00's.

Madonna, Virgin, True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray Of Light, Music, Confessions and Hard Candy are ALL brilliant albums. Does Madonna have fans that prefer the 80's? It's hard to imagine. She's the most consistent pop star of all time. It's about the whole lot for me.

The reason I love Madonna is not because of the 80's at all. It is because of the 80's, 90's and the 00's.

Madonna, Virgin, True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray Of Light, Music, Confessions and Hard Candy are ALL brilliant albums. Does Madonna have fans that prefer the 80's? It's hard to imagine. She's the most consistent pop star of all time. It's about the whole lot for me.

I think she has had one masterpiece in each decade:

LAP - 80s

ROL - 90s

COADF - 00s

I think that´s oine of the biggest differences between madonna and the other big names from the 80´s: I still could be a madonna fan without her work on the eighties, but I need their 80s work to be a fan of george, prince, michael...

How do they justify converting the All Music review of 4.5/5 stars to a score of 70/100??? Confessions was given 3.5/5 and they converted that to 70/100, too, so I'd say they've made a mistake. This would affect the album's overall score (obviously). It should end up in the "Universally Praised" category.

They have corrected the error. Now it has a score of 86, comfortably into "universal acclaim", as it deserves. :thumbsup:

More of an observation than a review from popjustice

madonnahits2cda.jpg

Here's part of an album display in HMV in which two different editions of Madonna's 'Celebration' hits collection are on sale at the same price - £12.99. The one on the left is the 2CD edition, while the one on the right condenses it all down to one disc.

So you buy the one on the left, right? MAYBE NOT. Some people would happily opt for the shorter but more 'pure' (and quite conspicuously 80s-flavoured) Madonna greatest hits. They would, in fact, probably pay a pound more for the convenience of not having to skip past 'Don't Tell Me', and they might, for example, see the final four tracks of CD1 as being 'a con', because they don't like them so why should they pay for them? Let's not forget value for money. You might think it's better value to get two CDs full of music, instead of just one. WRONG. If you don't like 12 of the 36 tracks in the 2CD edition you're wasting £4.32 of the £12.99, whereas if you like 16 of the 18 tracks in the 1CD edition you're only wasting £1.44 - that's a £2.88 saving which, in these difficult economic times, is not to be sniffed at.

It would be interesting to know how many copies of the 1CD version HMV have managed to shift - we bet they've sold a few, even when the 2CD edition is right there next to it. And do you know what? For a lot of people the one on the right might actually be the best choice. If you can look at a tracklisting and say 'I LOVE EVERY SONG ON THIS CD', isn't it better than looking at a tracklisting and going 'there's a lot of filler on here'?

I read that Popjustice thing. Given the amount of utter drivel that is promoted on that website, and the fact that the forum is basically a Girls Aloud/Britney forum, I found it a bit rich to dismiss the marvellous 'Don't Tell Me' and claim that anyone could see the double as containing 'a lot of filler'.

I read that Popjustice thing. Given the amount of utter drivel that is promoted on that website, and the fact that the forum is basically a Girls Aloud/Britney forum, I found it a bit rich to dismiss the marvellous 'Don't Tell Me' and claim that anyone could see the double as containing 'a lot of filler'.

Why dont you post your lovely Madonna essays there anymore?

madonnahits2cda.jpg

Here's part of an album display in HMV in which two different editions of Madonna's 'Celebration' hits collection are on sale at the same price - £12.99. The one on the left is the 2CD edition, while the one on the right condenses it all down to one disc.

So you buy the one on the left, right? MAYBE NOT. Some people would happily opt for the shorter but more 'pure' (and quite conspicuously 80s-flavoured) Madonna greatest hits. They would, in fact, probably pay a pound more for the convenience of not having to skip past 'Don't Tell Me', and they might, for example, see the final four tracks of CD1 as being 'a con', because they don't like them so why should they pay for them? Let's not forget value for money. You might think it's better value to get two CDs full of music, instead of just one. WRONG. If you don't like 12 of the 36 tracks in the 2CD edition you're wasting £4.32 of the £12.99, whereas if you like 16 of the 18 tracks in the 1CD edition you're only wasting £1.44 - that's a £2.88 saving which, in these difficult economic times, is not to be sniffed at.

It would be interesting to know how many copies of the 1CD version HMV have managed to shift - we bet they've sold a few, even when the 2CD edition is right there next to it. And do you know what? For a lot of people the one on the right might actually be the best choice. If you can look at a tracklisting and say 'I LOVE EVERY SONG ON THIS CD', isn't it better than looking at a tracklisting and going 'there's a lot of filler on here'?

:megamanson:

Yet another reason to despise those hateful cunts

^ That so isn't even logical. Even if you don't want all the songs on the CD (one or two disc versions), you're still "wasting" the same amount of money. Breaking it down into a "per-track" price is pointless because it's a CD not iTunes. You can't pick your tracks a la carte. You either pay 12.99 pounds and get one disc, or you pay 12.99 pounds and get two discs. Just because you might not like every track on the two disc version, EVERYTHING on the one-disc is on the two-disc. If that weren't the case, I could maybe entertain an argument. Or, if they really liked the artwork of the one-disc, I could give what they are saying a fair hearing (as, again, this is a tangible, physical product, not mp3s existing in the cyber realms -- so the artwork is part of a physical package to evaluate carefully).

I know this is like preaching to the choir, but seriously, how dumb can you be?! I bought both versions, but -- if they were both the same price and I could only pick one, I'd obviously go for the two. It *IS* a no-brainer.

Madonna's new collection "celebrates" 25 years of hits

Katherine Greenspon

Issue date: 10/7/09 Section: Scene

The Material Girl has done it again. On Sept. 29, Madonna released a greatest hits album on Warner Bros. Records that can be purchased as a two-disc deluxe set or an 18-song single disc. Every song on the new album has been remastered and handpicked by Madonna and her fans.

Madonna's "Celebration" is a compilation of her achievements over her successful and extraordinary musical career. Hits including "Vogue," "Ray of Light," "4 Minutes" and the world-renowned "Like a Virgin" will be available on both the two-disc set and the single disk album. Madonna also adds a new extended version of "Frozen" from her 1998 "Ray of Light" album.Â

This newest CD showcases her progression with her sound and musical elements that has kept her success and popularity going for so long. Madonna is known for her eclectic style, youthful approach and edgy music videos that have helped make her the music icon she is today. Madonna's devotion and passion towards her music and the lyrics she uses expresses her uniqueness and displays new style that has been adapted by many other artists such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Kylie Minogue.

Madonna adds two new songs to the collection of past hits: "Revolver" featuring rap royalty Lil' Wayne and "Celebration," which was co-produced by Madonna and Paul Oakenfold. Both songs have an electronic sound and display Madonna's new instrumental elements that make her music so appealing to many different audiences.

Previously released songs like "4 Minutes," featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland, prove that Madonna can be versatile and experiment with different elements that grant her such longevity in the music industry. Her look is timeless and so is her music. "Celebration" exemplifies Madonna's style and she has managed to hold a strong spot in the young music world today.

Radio received "Celebration" on Aug. 3 and it has been played everywhere: from local radio stations to the biggest clubs across the nation. Dance club remixes of "Celebration" are already being made and heading to the clubs where people half Madonna's age are enjoying her buoyant and upbeat works. Madonna incorporates her old flavor with new and youthful contributors like Paul Oakenfold who has made a name for himself as one of the most recognized producers and DJs in the industry.Â

Madonna is one of the highest earning female pop stars in the world. With sold-out concerts and theatrical performances, it is no wonder why she is crowned as the world's favorite material girl. The "Celebration" album is already on iTunes and store shelves, but the deluxe video edition is also causing some commotion with its 38 tracks and 30 music videos. Madonna is highlighting all of her work on this album and every song that earned an award and recognition are being noticed.

Madonna has repeatedly reinvented herself through a chain of visual and musical personas that has held the attention of both her original audience and new disciples. With this new CD it captures every turning point in Madonna's musical career to date.

This album will not disappoint. "Celebration" is an accomplished album and with Grammy award winning, Billboard dominating and hit smashing songs this album truly tops any of its kind. Â

American Life is nowhere near as great as Ray of Light...AL is her worst, that's for sure, one that I don't listen to anymore.

Since when are hits compilations included on Metacritic?

Here is the All Music review. System's moving too slow to go through the last couple of pages to see if it ewas posted.

by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Madonna's run at the top of the charts lasted so long, longer than almost any other star, it's almost impossible to squeeze all the hits onto one collection. And so it is that Celebration, a double-disc, 36-track set that also has a companion single-disc condensation, misses a few songs, hits as gorgeous as "Rain" and as goofily camp as "Hanky Panky," but truth be told, they're not greatly missed on this parade of pop genius that's hampered only slightly by its non-chronological order. Out of order, it does emphasize Madonna's consistency, and the bigger problem with the collection is that it mixes up album mixes, single edits, Q-Sound mixes pulled from The Immaculate Collection, and a couple of stray odd edits and mixes. This is a mess, but not quite enough to dilute what is one of the greatest bodies of work in modern pop — even in this mixed-up confusion, these singles are a joy to hear.

Since when are hits compilations included on Metacritic?

Here is the All Music review. System's moving too slow to go through the last couple of pages to see if it ewas posted.

Madonna's run at the top of the charts lasted so long, longer than almost any other star, it's almost impossible to squeeze all the hits onto one collection. And so it is that Celebration, a double-disc, 36-track set that also has a companion single-disc condensation, misses a few songs, hits as gorgeous as "Rain" and as goofily camp as "Hanky Panky," but truth be told, they're not greatly missed on this parade of pop genius that's hampered only slightly by its non-chronological order. Out of order, it does emphasize Madonna's consistency, and the bigger problem with the collection is that it mixes up album mixes, single edits, Q-Sound mixes pulled from The Immaculate Collection, and a couple of stray odd edits and mixes. This is a mess, but not quite enough to dilute what is one of the greatest bodies of work in modern pop — even in this mixed-up confusion, these singles are a joy to hear.

I always love the back-handed complements although less about Madonna and more about the actual putting together of the compilation, AMG makes very good points:

1 - Madonna's run at the top of the charts lasted so long, longer than almost any other star

2 - misses a few songs, hits as gorgeous as "Rain" and as goofily camp as "Hanky Panky,"

3 - it does emphasize Madonna's consistency

4 - one of the greatest bodies of work in modern pop

5 - these singles are a joy to hear - MY FAVORITE!

:lmao::clap:

I knew he would say that.

HolidayGuy, there was another AMG review that was up before that, that I posted earlier.

I've saw them edit/change reviews before from what was written initially. That same writer once wrote a long review of Britney's In The Zone which specifically criticised the vocals of Me Against The Music along the lines of "neither were the greatest singers, but this sounds horrible", but he changed it.

madonnahits2cda.jpg

I pointed this out last week after a visit but I think it's a pricing error by some lazy staff member. HMV elsewhere has the single CD at £10.99.

So, calm down lambs, it's probably just a pricing gun error and not some consipiracy theory to bring the music industry to its knees.

madonnahits2cda.jpg

Obvious pricing mistake, but regardless there is no way what is on the single disc are the exact Madonna hits people want to hear.

Seriously man, don't know if you scanned that yourself or you found that online but you are INCREDIBLE.

I was ransacking the magazine section at Tesco's earlier today but they only stocked Q, NME and UNCUT. :thumbsup: