Anyone still think "Celebration" could become a hit?

Etips

yes, as others say, it is a global hit already. However, it's just not been released in the key markets of the US and UK. Given her track record in the US and sound of the song, I don't expect it to do much there. As for the UK, it's the one market I'm just not sure how it will do. Sometimes I think it will be a surefire NO.1 and then sometimes I think it will limp into the top ten and fall away quickly. I've not heard it on Radio 1 since its first play.

Right, I should have said it won't be a hit in the US. We're too busy over hear listening to some of the most untalented artists the world has ever heard. I'm still a fan and there are millions here in the US that are still fans but today's youth see Madonna as ancient.

She does have tons of fans here (which is why she can sell out stadiums with no problem) but most of these people only care about her older hits. Pop radio plays to young teen and tween girls. They dont give a shit about Madonna, so Pop radio doesnt give a shit about playing her. Madonna's fanbase for the most part probably listens to AC and Hot AC which is why her older hits are played constantly from Dont Tell on down on these stations. People in their mid 20s and older are probably the core base listening to these stations. But yet again these people for the most part probably dont give a shit about her new stuff either.

I think 4 Min was Madonna's last hurrah at US radio. Im not saying she wont have another fluke here or there at some point (who knows what Lil Waynes name being attached to a song will do. :wacko::wacko::wacko: ) but for the most part the party is over.

Celebration was DOA. When I heard the snippet I figured it wouldn't do particularly well but I didn't think it would bomb THIS hard. I thought it might limp into the top 40 since it was the 1st single from a new project but dang. This is in the same ballpark as I WANT YOU. lol And this time no one can even blame the flop on ageist radio because it isnt selling either. Maybe REVOLVER can pick up the slack & do something but CELEBRATION is done.

Guest SuperBriGuy

She does have tons of fans here (which is why she can sell out stadiums with no problem) but most of these people only care about her older hits. Pop radio plays to young teen and tween girls. They dont give a shit about Madonna, so Pop radio doesnt give a shit about playing her. Madonna's fanbase for the most part probably listens to AC and Hot AC which is why her older hits are played constantly from Dont Tell on down on these stations. People in their mid 20s and older are probably the core base listening to these stations. But yet again these people for the most part probably dont give a shit about her new stuff either.

I think 4 Min was Madonna's last hurrah at US radio. Im not saying she wont have another fluke here or there at some point (who knows what Lil Waynes name being attached to a song will do. :wacko::wacko::wacko: ) but for the most part the party is over.

Agreed about 4 Minutes being Madonna's final stand. After this I think she'll focus more on getting creative with her music again...after all, she really doesn't have radio in the U.S. to worry about if they're not receptive to her, but the fact that the rest of the world still eagerly awaits everything M does (for the most part) will ensure that she continues to record. And of course the lady will tour, as it's her trump card...

Maybe Celebration was meant for Europe and Revolver's for the US.

Presumably that was the strategy all along, since they had an actual plan in the UK and let it build up, rather than an instant release to capitalise on interest and stifle illegal downloads.

Doing dated trance music was a terrible idea in any case. The album version sounds like a remix. Shame cause as a song, it had such potential and like they said is really "classic Madonna", just with bad production and a horrible backing track.

Celebration was DOA. When I heard the snippet I figured it wouldn't do particularly well but I didn't think it would bomb THIS hard. I thought it might limp into the top 40 since it was the 1st single from a new project but dang. This is in the same ballpark as I WANT YOU. lol And this time no one can even blame the flop on ageist radio because it isnt selling either. Maybe REVOLVER can pick up the slack & do something but CELEBRATION is done.

True.

Guest Danny86
And this time no one can even blame the flop on ageist radio because it isnt selling either.

That's a bit of flawed logic, I don't see why would it sell without any exposure. Sales are very connected to airplay, you know the UKers will blame it on Radio 1 not putting it to A-list instantly when "Celebration" fails to become a 3-4 week #1 ("the new Hung Up", as it got labeled).

That's a bit of flawed logic, I don't see why would it sell without any exposure. Sales are very connected to airplay, you know the UKers will blame it on Radio 1 not putting it to A-list instantly when "Celebration" fails to become a 3-4 week #1 ("the new Hung Up", as it got labeled).

I think some people were expecting a "Hung Up" type of scenario; where the song gets poor airplay, but it (being the lead single from a new project) generates enough buzz for sales to still be healthy. I knew radio wouldn't touch "Celebration," but I figured Madonna fans would take to iTunes in drones to catipult it to a decent chart position, in spite of it.

The song has grown on me a lot. It still reminds me of DJ Sammy but it's got a great little party vibe. It might do well in Europe but it'll go nowhere here in the States (except maybe on the dance charts). Revolver will do very well here I predict.

Right, I should have said it won't be a hit in the US. We're too busy over hear listening to some of the most untalented artists the world has ever heard. I'm still a fan and there are millions here in the US that are still fans but today's youth see Madonna as ancient.

Yeah, you really should have ! I'm surprised about how US-centered this forum can be sometimes !

It's already a hit in many countries over the world...and not only in Europe !

Edited by From France

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Notice how people keep saying "it'll be a hit, you watch!" and time keeps going by and nothing keeps happening :lmao:. This song being a hit is truly going to be a MIRACLE event.

Guest travelinstillness

at least in the US, videos mean nothing for a song to make in on the mainstream (HOT 100) charts. She could do a video on Mars and it wouldn't help a song. Videos are irreleveant. If a song doesn't catch on with the listening public then it doesn't have a chance on the H100.