*OFFICIAL* "Celebration" CD and DVD Tracklisings

HolidayGuy

Chart numbers don't always prove everything..Lucky Star is hardly some obscure Madonna song..

Through the years LS has gotten plenty of exposure as a 'Madonna classic' beyond its initial chart run ..

sidenote: as a kid the LS performance on the VT was my fave :wow:

Chart numbers don't always prove everything..Lucky Star is hardly some obscure Madonna song..

Through the years LS has gotten plenty of exposure as a 'Madonna classic' beyond its initial chart run ..

"Borderline" charted lower in the US and it's better and the enduring classic

In terms of chart placements though, the big shocka on that one disc is the stonewalling of "Take a Bow" and "Crazy For You". It's [almost - apart from Frozen] a no ballad zone and strictly a celebration.

I think overall they have got this right. This really could've been A LOT worse!! LOL. In fact I wasn't expecting much. The only thing I can say I'm just a little disappointed about is that there is no Oh Father or Bad Girl on the DVD just because it would seem absolutely PERFECT if those two were on. No biggie though as they are both available on other compilations.

The CD tracklisting is great. I have no problems with Miles Away or Hollywood being on in place of other hits, being on this album is probably going to be more exposure than either of these songs got when they were released as singles...lol. Both are decent latter day Madonna singles too that represent something besides her "all dance" songs that have been a big part of her single releases the past 5 or 6 years. Had Miles Away been treated the way it should've been as a single release from both Warner and Madonna it would be a bigger hit, it really is a very accessible, easy to digest, made for the radio ballad. I hate when fans act like the quality of the song is the reason for it's lack of success when clearly that wasn't the issue with that single.

Well said, Kurt! Also, in the UK and many European countries, Miles Away and Hollywood were decent sized airplay hits, so that has to be taken into consideration, too. Having said that, it's still a little disappointing that AL doesn't appear. It came up on my iPod last night (on shuffle) and it actually sounded great! What other song does she have in her catalogue that sounds anything like it?

I'm not buying the CD. I'll buy the DVD even with that tracklisting (Should have been 50 videos not 47) & no special features.

Guest bluejean

Good for casual fans to grab for the holidays. Btw, I don't think I have ever seen any Madonna CDs in the bargain bins.

Oh my apologies but I do live in Australia, where I once picked up GHV2 for $4.95 (the cheapest you can get a CD in this country)

Guest bluejean

I feel bad for American Life. Snubbed on the CD and DVD. The Director's Cut definitely deserved to be there. I think it's a milestone in her career.

The video, yes. The song, nah. I like it but it's not memorable to non fans.

"Borderline" charted lower in the US and it's better and the enduring classic

In terms of chart placements though, the big shocka on that one disc is the stonewalling of "Take a Bow" and "Crazy For You". It's [almost - apart from Frozen] a no ballad zone and strictly a celebration.

Yeah, that's the one and ONLY thing that has ever annoyed me about Madonna, is this more recent shunning of her ballads and acting like everything has to be "uptempo," energetic, and celebratory. Because, damn, that woman has made some of the best slow songs in pop history.

Yeah, that's the one and ONLY thing that has ever annoyed me about Madonna, is this more recent shunning of her ballads and acting like everything has to be "uptempo," energetic, and celebratory. Because, damn, that woman has made some of the best slow songs in pop history.

quite the opposite of the take-me-seriously-for-Evita years.

I don't understand why mid-tempos and ballads can't be celebrated, or considered cause for celebration. I think the 'big' production of "You'll See," and the conspicious power house vocals she displays on it, is every bit as exciting as "Music" or "Hung Up." Unfortunately, so many of her fans want her music to be endlessly hyper-tempo'd, and like to discount those middle 90s sing-song years. And I think that attitude has gotten back to Madonna, herself, to point where she over-compensates after doing something that wasn't so danceable. Personally I've always like button-down, serious, ballad-y Madonna equally as much as I do her upbeat side.

Guest dicktracy

Yeah, Lucky Star doesn't make any sense for the single disc (except perhaps in the US). Should've been Borderline. I think it may have been a tactic to ensure people buy the double disc. :chuckle:

Nah, Madonna makes more money from Lucky Star + she and the producer Reggie Lucas didn't really see eye to eye...

No doubt there's more than one tactic to make the two-CD affair look even more attractive. But, it's nice to have the single disc available, too.

Thigns have worked out pretty well thus far (CD and DVD)- too much to hope that the inside art will be great, as well, with great write-up, design, etc.?

Nah, Madonna makes more money from Lucky Star + she and the producer Reggie Lucas didn't really see eye to eye...

Ah, of course. Reggie is everything. :( At least she FINALLY revived Borderline on S&S.

Maybe next she'll do a guitar version of Angel. As ridiculous as a rock version of Borderline sounded and I hated the idea, I forgot about Drop Nineteens cover of Angel.

You'll See and the songs that surrounded that era (bar I Want You) are pretty corny to be fair though. I cringe when I hear a lot of those 90s adult contemporary ballads. Celine Dion lite.

Oh they're not that corny. Her ballads always had an air of class than her contemporaries could muster.

I also love the ballads equally to the disco hits. I think many do, given the success of Something To Forget (that's it's new name cause of Pud).

But I'm not that bothered they're left off (though Miles Away and Hollywood rankle a bit). You could say that "Miles Away" is her balladic concession, just to make the 00s have as many songs as the 90s.

I like how balanced it is, cause in truth she did have a kind of wilderness era in the 90s and the 00s was her back on top post-ROL.

Notice on the DVD:

16 videos from the 80s

16 videos from the 90s

15 videos from the 00s

Look at the blurb on Amazon

Product Description

2009 Remastered 2 CD set. Madonna, the undisputed Queen of Pop has racked up a record-smashing 62 UK Top Ten hits, 13 UK No.1 singles as well as 11 UK No.1 albums. On the 21st September, she releases the ultimate Madonna album 'Celebration', a career spanning best of that will invite the world to celebrate a mind blowing career. The tracklisting was put together by Madonna herself and includes 2 brand new tracks, the club smash 'Celebration' and 'Revolver' as well as old classics like 'Into The Groove', 'Holiday' and 'Crazy For You' and dance floor fillers like 'Music' and 'Ray Of Light'. Madonna, a multi Grammy award winning singer, writer and producer has had more UK number 1's than any other female artist and is the most successful female solo artist ever. Everyone has their Madonna memories. This is a must have album for every household, one that's guaranteed to have Grandmothers, mothers and daughters all dancing and singing along together. This is a legendary career that deserves to be celebrated and there's no reason why we shouldn't do that while the Queen is still alive!

What's that last bit all about? Seems a bit morbid. Looks like a Jacko reference.

Guest Danny86

It does make sense to have "Lucky Star" as the song she wrote herself when the 3 LAV singles she didn't are all used. Kinda explains why "Crazy For You" is also out...

But what's the beef with Reggie Lucas? She didn't thank him, Stephen Bray or Jellybean in Hall of Fame speech... :(

But what's the beef with Reggie Lucas? She didn't thank him, Stephen Bray or Jellybean in Hall of Fame speech... :(

Awful. Bray was the most important songwriter in her career! Tied with Pat Leonard - but Bray is more important since he was there from the very beginning.

Bingo.

We all know she crosses people out completely who use her for £££ and that's what Bray did. He completely burnt his bridges with her. Idiot!

Can you imagine if he had contributed to Hard Candy? It would have been fabulous.

Bingo.

We all know she crosses people out completely who use her for £££ and that's what Bray did. He completely burnt his bridges with her. Idiot!

Can you imagine if he had contributed to Hard Candy? It would have been fabulous.

I wonder what pushed him to do it though? It seems like such an odd thing to do, considering their personal and working relationship; I mean it's not like he was Otto, he had a hand in some of the best pop songs ever. I am glad he did it though, I LOVE Pre-Madonna.

I'm always surprised that the a fair few of her producers (bar maybe Stuart) have really taken full advantage of working with Madonna; what are Shep, Stephen, Mark Kamins, Jellybean, even Pat up to these days.

I feel bad for American Life. Snubbed on the CD and DVD. The Director's Cut definitely deserved to be there. I think it's a milestone in her career.

I think it's a millstone in her career. Madonna has very wisely dropped it for the time being - both American and UK soldiers are dying at an horrendous rate in Afghanistan and to bung that on either offering would be a PR nightmare and miss the point of the collection.

It's about celebrating her successes and enjoying her music and not out to make controversy at this point. It would unnecessarily overshadow other work if the journalists jumped on it.

Yah- no shocker that she didn't mention Bray in her HOF speech. Lucas, though, she could have, as well as Jellybean. But, she has her bitchy moments, we know.

Is anyone going to get the single CD, too, or just the double? Unless the single had different packaging or something, it's not really purposeful (like the single-CD edition of Evita).