"Celebration" OFFICIAL TRACKLIST!

cosmic_system

It's lame, but: Please don't use the Immaculate Collection mixes for the Celebration compilation, especially Like a Prayer!!!!!!

:bow:

"Like A Prayer" is the main issue. I'm not happy about any of them being there, but "Express Yourself" is similar to the video version and the others at least somewhat resemble the album versions.

To have a remix of LAP and then the album version of "Hollywood" (instead of the Stuart Price remix) is retarded.

:rotfl:

How much overtime is it? I think they made a mistake with the LP version of Holiday, that seems very strange

With all possible space between tracks removed it's still right at 1 minute over. There's either a mistake in the tracklist or they've "fake-edited" something.

I live off the album/single version of Like a Prayer.

the bass, the guitar, the organ, the drums, all the instruments equal perfection.

CD 1:

01) Hung Up - LP Version

02) Music - LP Version

03) Vogue - Immaculate Collection Version

04) 4 Minutes - LP Edit

05) Holiday - LP Version

06) Like A Virgin - Immaculate Collection Version

07) Into The Groove - LP Version

08) Everybody - LP Edit

09) Like A Prayer - Immaculate Collection Version

10) Ray Of Light - LP Version

11) Sorry - LP Edit

12) Express Yourself - Immaculate Collection Version

13) Open Your Heart - Immaculate Collection Version

14) Borderline - Immaculate Collection Version

15) Secret - LP Edit

16) Erotica - LP Edit

17) Justify My Love - LP Version

18) Celebrate

CD 2:

01) Dress You Up - LP Edit

02) Material Girl - LP Version

03) La Isla Bonita - LP Version

04) Papa Don't Preach - LP Version

05) Lucky Star - LP Edit

06) Burning Up - LP Version

07) Crazy For You - Immaculate Collection Version

08) Who's That Girl - LP Version

09) Frozen - LP Version

10) Miles Away - LP Edit

11) Take A Bow - LP Version

12) Beautiful Stranger - LP Version

13) Hollywood - LP Version

14) Die Another Day - LP Version

15) Don't Tell Me - LP Edit

16) Live To Tell - LP Version

17) Cherish - Immaculate Collection Version

I'm officially disappointed!!! I thought for sure they were going to do this compilation right. I was hoping for remastered versions with minute embellishments added to give the songs a little extra punch. I guess I can go ahead a burn a copy of CD1 to listen to while I wait for the CD to be released. *sad*

Immaculate Collection versions should be reserved for that album.

Whenever I hear LAP on the radio, it's always the original, never the TIC version.

Makes it all the sillier that they're again using it here.

While a lot of casual fans won't notice/care what versions are used, it's not true for all of them. Most glaringly obvious in the case of.. LAP. They should have took note of the many complaints about the TIC mixes from the reviews at Amazon.

TIC does work very well as an album in its own right and flows well, outside of that context these mixes will feel strange.

DAD was always intended to be on AL. In a radio interview to promote the single, she was asked specifically whether it would appear on her next album (which she said she was recording at the time) and she confirmed that it would. It was recorded during the AL sessions and was the first track announced for the album (nearly a full six months before the album was released), so even though it came out much earlier than the album, it definitely wasn't "tacked on", since you can't "tack on" something that was always intended to be there :)

Ah. I see. Thought cause it was soundtrack-related it wasn't necessarily meant for the album.

At the time I was annoyed DAD was on the album, I don't like when she repeats things. I wanted it to be all new material! :chuckle:

American Life is still considered the lead-off single though, right?

Ah. I see. Thought cause it was soundtrack-related it wasn't necessarily meant for the album.

At the time I was annoyed DAD was on the album, I don't like when she repeats things. I wanted it to be all new material! :chuckle:

American Life is still considered the lead-off single though, right?

I guess it depends how one looks at it. But I don't recall DAD having mentioned it was a single for the FORTHCOMING album like "Live To Tell" was for True Blue. Then again, "DAD" was released far more in advance to the release of AL than "LIVE TO TELL" to True Blue.

Also, I just think of DAD's inclusion as a marketing ploy to get people to buy the album which included a top ten hit already.

Guest jamesshot

I would be really really REALLY pissed off if they used that shit IC edit of Like A Prayer. That would be a decision beyond .

She's not going to leave out two of her iconic songs like Into the Groove and Crazy For You. And it needs to be comprehensive so that it essentially touches on every album from her career. And I would have to guess it would be 18 tracks just like each of the 2-disc version CDs. I'd see it like this:

1. Holiday

2. Like A Virgin

3. Material Girl

4. Crazy For You

5. Into The Groove

6. Papa Don't Preach

7. La Isla Bonita

8. Like A Prayer

9. Express Yourself

10. Vogue

11. Erotica

12. Take A Bow

13. Ray of Light

14. Music

15. Die Another Day

16. Hung Up

17. 4 Minutes

18. Celebration

That sounds about right for a 1 disc version. And I like the idea of a song from each album, but I'd replace DAD with either Don't Tell Me or Secret.

Guest Danny86

I'm not a fan of that version of LAP either, but for the casuals (and Madonna), LAP is considered as a dance track now, the original version is too slow. Blame the 'Madhouse' cover and Madonna herself for that, for turning it into the "non-sitting down song". There was no chance for the original to be revisited for a release like this.

:bad:

What versions I'd use :wacko:

CD 1:

01) Hung Up - LP Version - I don't see what's so bad with the edit of this? :confused: I can hear where they made the cuts, but it's not that bad I don't think

02) Music - LP Version

03) Vogue - Immaculate Collection Version - Too long! The single mix for this is really good. Either use that or the album version from I'm Breathless

04) 4 Minutes - LP Edit - This is considered awful isn't it and one of the worst edits, not like it's a long song to begin with or anything

05) Holiday - LP Version - Preferably they would do a new version of this a la TheRain1981's 7" Promo Mix with full intro :thumbsup:

06) Like A Virgin - Immaculate Collection Version

07) Into The Groove - LP Version

08) Everybody - LP Edit

09) Like A Prayer - Immaculate Collection Version - Either the album version with fade or the 7" mix, with or without fade

10) Ray Of Light - LP Version - Yes! Needs to be the album version. That radio edit on GHV2 is butchered and I never recall hearing it on the radio

11) Sorry - LP Edit - Mattress's version is best

12) Express Yourself - Immaculate Collection Version - Single or album version

13) Open Your Heart - Immaculate Collection Version

14) Borderline - Immaculate Collection Version

15) Secret - LP Edit

16) Erotica - LP Edit

17) Justify My Love - LP Version - Or the edit (without the Q sound)

18) Celebrate

CD 2:

01) Dress You Up - LP Edit - This seems to be the one new edit here and why? Not like it was long. Bet they just pressed the fade button a la Angel edit

02) Material Girl - LP Version - It seems very arbitary what ones are TIC mixes and what aren't

03) La Isla Bonita - LP Version - Though this benefits from the lovely outro

04) Papa Don't Preach - LP Version

05) Lucky Star - LP Edit

06) Burning Up - LP Version

07) Crazy For You - Immaculate Collection Version

09) Frozen - LP Version - No! The radio edit is better. Unnecessary to have 6 minute songs here.

10) Miles Away - LP Edit - Is this cause (yet again) it's another song that segues into the next track

11) Take A Bow - LP Version - What's wrong with the edit?

12) Beautiful Stranger - LP Version - The edit is better and one reason to get GHV2

14) Die Another Day - LP Version - Edit

15) Don't Tell Me - LP Edit - Having listened to this again recently, it's rather sloppily done. But I think I'd still choose it over the album version for here.

16) Live To Tell - LP Version - Another long song. Should be the edit, which is shorter than the album version and the TIC mix.

17) Cherish - Immaculate Collection Version - Sadly Cherish poses the biggest problem, the edit is pretty poor and the video mix is best

18) Revolver - I wonder how long this song will be

Blame the 'Madhouse' cover and Madonna herself for that, for turning it into the "non-sitting down song". There was no chance for the original to be revisited for a release like this.

She should have remixed "Dress You Up" as well to be like the DEFINITIVE version

Whoopiedoo and Cosmic System, I love you guys, but you guys were being a tad nasty to Neut - cool it. Neither of you have ever done anything wrong before, don't become troublemakers because I don't wanna have to lay down the law on you guys like Judge Judy.

Neutrocks however, you are no angel yourself. In fact you are on way thinner ice than Whoopie and Cosmic. I've gotten about a million complaints about you since you started posting here, and out of laziness and indifference I never did anything about it (because before now I really just found you slightly annoying, but not really a troublemaker). But more and more your behavior is starting to become disruptive and outright bizarre to tell you the truth. Everybody understood the first time you expressed skepticism about... whatever it was you were pissed about. The tracklist. Fine. WE GOT IT. The fact that you had to smugly poke and provoke anyone and everyone who decided to express dissastisfaction (or satisfaction even) about the tracklist and its nooks and crannies is RIDICULOUS. This is the last time I'm coming in here to see what you've been up to. I don't wanna have to babysit a thread I don't give a fuck about. Either you clean up your act or I will happily clean it up for you. Thanks.

LOL. If these are really the true mixes used for this collection then :lmao: Seriously, what were they thinking? Looks like someone picked the mixes to be used randomly out of a hat. :dazed:

My main issue is with the 7" single versions not being included for some of the most obvious songs. Some of you mention that many people grew up with 'The Immaculate Collection' versions and wouldn't notice the difference or really care. Very true. Yet, at the same time, many people grew up with the 7" versions ... either on the radio or on their original 7" singles in their own music collections. I really think that it was a missed opportunity here to not include the 7" single versions for the majority, if not all, of these songs ... except in the cases of extreme butchering.

Remember that some of these 7" versions have never made it to CD -- or, if they have, they are on out of print or very hard to find promo releases. How much longer must we wait to get the 7" versions of "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself" on CD in remastered sound? Or what about the 7" remixes of "La Isla Bonita" and "Open Your Heart"? (Might as well add "True Blue" 7" remix to the list as well). Here we are 20+ years later, and nothing.

Ideally, here's what I would have included:

CD 1:

01) Hung Up - LP Version (or "Radio Version" if necessary)

02) Music - LP Version

03) Vogue - Single Version

04) 4 Minutes - LP Version (or "Radio Edit" if necessary)

05) Holiday - 7" Promo Edit (fixed, of course)

06) Like A Virgin - LP Version

07) Into The Groove - Original Single Version

08) Everybody - 7" Edit

09) Like A Prayer - 7" Version No Fade

10) Ray Of Light - LP Version

11) Sorry - U.S. Radio Version or LP Edit

12) Express Yourself - 7" Remix

13) Open Your Heart - 7" Remix

14) Borderline - 7" Remix

15) Secret - LP Edit

16) Erotica - LP Edit

17) Justify My Love - LP Edit (without the Q-Sound)

18) Celebrate

CD 2:

01) Dress You Up - LP Version

02) Material Girl - LP Version

03) La Isla Bonita - 7" Remix

04) Papa Don't Preach - LP Edit

05) Lucky Star - LP Edit (fixed, of course)

06) Burning Up - Original LP Version

07) Crazy For You - Original Single Version

09) Frozen - LP Edit

10) Miles Away - Radio Edit

11) Take A Bow - LP Edit

12) Beautiful Stranger - William Orbit Radio Edit

14) Die Another Day - LP Version (or "Radio Edit")

15) Don't Tell Me - LP Edit

16) Live To Tell - LP Edit

17) Cherish - 7" Version (although I prefer the Video Version ... save that for the DVD)

18) Revolver

Everyone has an opinion on the mixes. More or less, that's what I would have included. I didn't bother adding up the total playing time on each disc, so certain edits may have to be used over their LP versions anyway.

Guest JOE1979

The tracks are not arranged in a listenable fashion, and the mixes are just random. Look at it chronologically...

Everybody (LP Edit) - presumably the 7" single edit making its CD debut

Burning Up (LP Version) - from Madonna

Holiday (LP Version) - from Madonna

Borderline (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Lucky Star (LP Edit) - presumably the 7" single edit making its CD debut

Like A Virgin (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Material Girl (LP Version) - from Like A Virgin

Crazy For You (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection, 1991 UK single release

Into The Groove (Single Version) - 1985 single release

Dress You Up (LP Edit) ?? No existing single edit, perhaps a typo?

Live To Tell (LP Version) - from True Blue, also from Something To Remember

Papa Don't Preach (LP Version) - from True Blue

Open Your Heart (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

La Isla Bonita (LP Version) - from True Blue

Who's That Girl (LP Version) - from the Who's That Girl soundtrack

Like A Prayer (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Express Yourself (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Cherish (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Vogue (1990) (Q-Sound Mix) - from The Immaculate Collection

Justify My Love (LP Version) - from The Immaculate Collection, not mixed in Q Sound

Erotica (LP Edit) - 7" single edit, also from GHV2

Secret (LP Edit) - 7" single edit, also from GHV2

Take A Bow (LP Version) - from Bedtime Stories, also from Something To Remember

Frozen (LP Version) - from Ray Of Light

Ray Of Light (LP Version) - from Ray Of Light

Beautiful Stranger (LP Version) - from The Spy Who Shagged Me soundtrack

Music (LP Version) - from Music

Don't Tell Me (LP Edit) - promo and international single version

Die Another Day (LP Version) - from American Life

Hollywood (LP Version) - from American Life, hopefully the promo version that fades up at the beginning to mask the transition from "American Life"

Hung Up (LP Version) - hopefully the "unblended" album version from the promotional single

Sorry (LP Edit) - single version

4 Minutes (LP Edit) - 7" and promotional single version

Miles Away (LP Edit) - single version

Celebrate - new recording

Revolver - new recording

...no rhyme or reason for an album version here, an Immaculate Collection Q Sound remix there, then a proper single edit. It's like a novice threw together whichever versions they happened to have downloaded and burned them. This is not how you celebrate the back catalog of an icon nor how you present songs that "changed the world".

I was perhaps the most excited about this release. I have barely shut up about it since... 2006, lol. I was with them with the artwork, the selected songs and I was trying to turn a blind eye to the poor job done with sequencing. I don't care if Madonna herself did it, it's ridiculous.

The mixes are a deal breaker for me. And you thought the GHV2 backlash was bad? Just wait. I really can not believe how poorly this has been handled.

I feel exactly the same way! I was so excited about this! I was thinking up possible tracklistings for fun, telling all my friends, etc. Now that I hear that they are using some Immaculate Collection versions of songs, my enthusiastic for this project is practically nonexistant!

I think that the TIC versions are included in Celebration, because WARNES plan to relaese a remaster of her full LAP album? That would make sense in terms of how much $$$ they can milk from Madonna after she leaves.

I would love a REMASTER of the LAP album and am sure that we will get in the future since we already have the first three albums.

On a funny note, there are already Celebration torrents floating around, check this one out:

"Definitive tracklist of Madonna's new greatest hits collection. This file includes remastered rare and single mixes. While awaiting for the official release on Sept 21st 2009, last track "Revolver" - yet unreleased - has been substituted with a rare alternate vocal version of smash hit "The Power of Goodbye". Enjoy

CD1 (18 tracks)

Hung up – Music – Vogue – 4 Minutes – Holiday – Like a Virgin – Into the Groove – Everybody – Like a Prayer – Ray of Light – Sorry – Express Yourself – Open your Heart – Borderline – Secret – Erotica – Justify my Love – Celebration

CD2 (18 tracks)

Dress you up – Material Girl – La isla Bonita – Papa don’t Preach – Lucky Star – Burning up – Crazy for you – Who’s that Girl – Frozen – Miles Away – Take a Bow – Beautiful Stranger – Hollywood – Die Another Day – Don’t Tell me – Live to Tell – Cherish – The Power of Goodbye"

:D at Power of Goodbye

Whoopiedoo and Cosmic System, I love you guys, but you guys were being a tad nasty to Neut - cool it. Neither of you have ever done anything wrong before, don't become troublemakers because I don't wanna have to lay down the law on you guys like Judge Judy.

Neutrocks however, you are no angel yourself. In fact you are on way thinner ice than Whoopie and Cosmic. I've gotten about a million complaints about you since you started posting here, and out of laziness and indifference I never did anything about it (because before now I really just found you slightly annoying, but not really a troublemaker). But more and more your behavior is starting to become disruptive and outright bizarre to tell you the truth. Everybody understood the first time you expressed skepticism about... whatever it was you were pissed about. The tracklist. Fine. WE GOT IT. The fact that you had to smugly poke and provoke anyone and everyone who decided to express dissastisfaction (or satisfaction even) about the tracklist and its nooks and crannies is RIDICULOUS. This is the last time I'm coming in here to see what you've been up to. I don't wanna have to babysit a thread I don't give a fuck about. Either you clean up your act or I will happily clean it up for you. Thanks.

Sorry, but I've never been vulgar and disrespectful. Next time pm when you have a valid complaint about me, because other than sticking to my guns about certain topics, I've never been rude or nasty to people. Other than that, I will assume you're just playing favorites here. Surprise Surprise. If you have a follow up, please just pm me. I would agree it needn't to go any further here. Thanks!!

By the way, Whoopie and me are cool now. ;)

Guest JOE1979

Well said!! I've always enjoyed TIC mixes as well. And being a die hard fan, I have all the other mixes if I want to listen to them. I'm just fascinated at the outrage over this though. I don't know many artists who re-work their songs (other than remastering) for a GH's set. And I would think the real differences will be noticed simply by die hard fans than any casual one buying this.

Another thing that I find fascinating is that if she re-worked these songs, what makes fans think they will like them anymore, especially those who didn't like what they did with TIC??

I see what you are saying, but I think you may be underestimating just how many of her fans detest the Immaculate Collection versions of the songs. I have been a huge Madonna fan since practically day 1 and I can not stand to listen to The Immaculate Collection because of those horrible versions! I was not expecting new mixes of the songs for this collection, but I was hoping for the proper single versions of all of the songs as most fans were, from what I've seen online. I think that a large majority of people buying this new collection will be die hard fans and it seems that alot of us are going to be disappointed!

Sorry, but I've never been vulgar and disrespectful. Next time pm when you have a valid complaint about me, because other than sticking to my guns about certain topics, I've never been rude or nasty to people. Other than that, I will assume you're just playing favorites here. Surprise Surprise. If you have a follow up, please just pm me. I would agree it needn't to go any further here. Thanks!!

By the way, Whoopie and me are cool now. ;)

Oh being rude/nasty has zero to do with why you're a problem here. I can't make it any clearer for you. And the playing favorites comment is nonsense. I suggest you drop the innocent act and own up to the fact that you badger and irritate people. And no, I will not discuss anything with you via PM. When there's a problem I'm happy to finish it here. You PM'd me last time when I brought up your name publically because you had a problem with the way it was used. I am not your babysitter. Be an adult and we won't have a problem. Good day.

I see what you are saying, but I think you may be underestimating just how many of her fans detest the Immaculate Collection versions of the songs. I have been a huge Madonna fan since practically day 1 and I can not stand to listen to The Immaculate Collection because of those horrible versions! I was not expecting new mixes of the songs for this collection, but I was hoping for the proper single versions of all of the songs as most fans were, from what I've seen online. I think that a large majority of people buying this new collection will be die hard fans and it seems that alot of us are going to be disappointed!

Or we could say, you are "over" estimating how much fans detest it. Either way, it's just subjective in the end. But I do understand your aversion to it being you do not like the mixes. I have no issue with that.

As for being "disappointed", I personally find it silly since nothing has been officially confirmed. And even so, it's clear some fans will never be happy. It's impossible to please all fans. Some songs will be left off while other songs that don't seem like they belong will be among it. And in this age, the GH's is pretty obsolete since we can pretty much assemble our own hits CD. ;)

Guest JOE1979

Oh, but how is it different than just adding the LP versions? How is that any less lazy then?

What an odd argument to make when you can easily assemble your favorite versions yourself these days?? To me, a GREATEST HITS is pretty much an obsolete format since the digital age and the fact we can burn our own CD's now.

I think HG made a good point... the majority of them are LP cuts or their edits. Also, the majority of TIC versions aren't drastically different from the originally apart to the ones he mentioned.

I agree with you about making our own compilations, but the only problem is that it is very difficult to obtain most of the single versions of Madonna's hits. For example, how would I get my hands on the single versions of Causing A Commotion or Keep It Together? I know that these songs aren't on the compilation, but I've been dying to get my hands on those...lol.

Oh being rude/nasty has zero to do with why you're a problem here. I can't make it any clearer for you. And the playing favorites comment is nonsense. I suggest you drop the innocent act and own up to the fact that you badger and irritate people. And no, I will not discuss anything with you via PM. When there's a problem I'm happy to finish it here. You PM'd me last time when I brought up your name publically because you had a problem with the way it was used. I am not your babysitter. Be an adult and we won't have a problem. Good day.

No, I've done nothing wrong. And you continuing it here after I kindly requested to take this to pm, only concludes what I thought all along regarding you being mod here. You're simply looking for a public stoning/fight! I pm'd you privately about the other issue and you mishandled it and you're doing the same here! I suggest you just pm me from this point on. That's the fair thing to do rather than dragging it out anymore in this thread. All other responses will go ignored! Thank you kindly!! :thumbsup:

Meh, not taking your bait. And I don't really give a damn what you think of me as a mod. I don't deal with straight-forward issues like this via PM. I warn the appropriate person and move along. If keep making trouble I'll suspend them. If they have a question as to why I warned them, then they can ask me privately. You know why I warned you. Otherwise there's no reason for privacy. Just behave and you won't ever have to speak to me again.

I agree with you about making our own compilations, but the only problem is that it is very difficult to obtain most of the single versions of Madonna's hits. For example, how would I get my hands on the single versions of Causing A Commotion or Keep It Together? I know that these songs aren't on the compilation, but I've been dying to get my hands on those...lol.

Aren't the maxi-singles still available for sale? And if I wanted them that bad, there are a fair good of file sharing programs can get you those mixes. I know I downloaded her complete single discography earlier this year which included both single versions you speak of. I have the physical copies of all these singles, but it just seemed easier to download this bunch at once rather going through all my CD's and converting them.

Guest JOE1979

Or we could say, you are "over" estimating how much fans detest it. Either way, it's just subjective in the end. But I do understand your aversion to it being you do not like the mixes. I have no issue with that.

As for being "disappointed", I personally find it silly since nothing has been officially confirmed. And even so, it's clear some fans will never be happy. It's impossible to please all fans. Some songs will be left off while other songs that don't seem like they belong will be among it. And in this age, the GH's is pretty obsolete since we can pretty much assemble our own hits CD. ;)

That is true. Nothing has been confirmed yet, so I can still hold out hope! You are right that it is impossible to please everyone. I guess I should just go with the flow and just enjoy what comes our way regarding this collection. I can always do some tweaking with the tracklisting and I'm definitely going to make a 3rd disc too! Regardless of the outcome of any mixes or versions of songs used, I'm still going to buy a copy for sure!

By the way, I hope you don't mind that I chose to quote your posts! I've been a lurker for a couple of weeks and have seen that you're a diehard fan and very knowledgable and I like your style! :)