A "Celebration" Of Madonna Music

Guest Borderline

I have to admit I am very very excited about this greatest hits. I love the album cover, I love what I've heard of Celebrate and Revolver, and I'm happy with the supposed tracklisting as well. I'm much more excited about this than I was Hard Candy! :)

I love the cover, I wish they had kept the original hairdo though (slicked back). The original picture is one of my all time favorite images of Madonna. Defiant, intimidating, oddly beautiful.

Yeah I would've preferred the original hair. I've got a massive framed version of that pic.

I really love this cover.. it's 100% perfect and I can't imagine how it could be any better. No new photoshoot could ever compare to this. It stands alone as a brilliant work of art with layers and dimensions

That Modino shoot from 1990 is the most classic and iconic pic of M from her entire career and it always has been ever since it was first a poster on a bedroom wall back in the day, nothing else has ever compared to it.

And to mash it up with her most iconic hairstyle ever is sheer genius.

It pays homage to the Sex Pistols punk, her roots in the 80's New York art scene and her idolization of Marylin Monroe.

I'm sorry did we forget anything?

perfectly put.

Guest dicktracy
I hate the cover..It looks good and everything, but the Madonna-as-Marilyn ship has kind of sailed. Plus this is meant to be the big compilation to end all compilations that showcases how iconic M is, but they have to use an exact replica of Marilyn's image for the cover?

:thumbsup: The MJ painting its iconic because its his look. This is M as Marilyn by Warhol. I would have preferred having her with a more Madonna look such as the Maripol era, or Blonde Ambition, or ROL.

Guest dicktracy

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/madonn...ing-legacy/9396

Madonna’s ‘Celebration’ Art Reflects Dwindling Legacy

By Rohin GuhaJuly 23, 2009

Yes, yes, there’s been much hullabaloo about Madonna maybe-killing two of her dancers, which after figuratively castrating ex-husband Guy Ritchie and kidnapping a Brazilian boy and a little Malawi girl, may not seem like such a stretch. But appropriately enough, she’s also making time to celebrate her legacy, one that bottomed out right before the 21st century. For which reason, it’s no surprise that this collection, her third greatest hits package—second in nine years—banks on the appeal of her earlier work.

Everything about the campaign for this third volume of greatest hits—Celebration—smacks of long-ago nostalgia. Jonas Åkerlund is directing the collection’s first single of the same name. He lent his aesthetic brilliance to many of her past videos. This includes “Ray of Light”, a single spawned from what was arguably the final bit of pop brilliance the singer put out before her attempts at breaking trends started sliding, becoming contrived, though still respectable but then simply tragic.

Even the album art, designed by Mr. Brainwash, hearkens back to East Village street art. Though troublingly enough, it seems like imitation of street art, like the Urban Outfitters-ization of a Warholian prototype. Which may be the most succinct way of summarizing the pop star’s career—from her early Basquiat-dating days to eventual superstardom and megalomania. It also kind of hits that middle ground between when she started becoming more noted for sparking trends than pathetically limping to keep up with them.

It’s fine that the art visually places a notable emphasis on “Express Yourself” and “Vogue” over the travesties that would come much later; her body of work from the first 20 years of her career is nothing short of iconic. It’s just the near-decade since where Madonna has sabotaged the greatness of her own back-catalog with silly media stunts and cynical career choices. Nevertheless, that’s almost 30 years in the business, two thirds spent at the top. This is something no contemporary pop aspirant will achieve. Or at least not anytime soon.

We could hope for this collection to inspire the singer to take a hard look at the direct relation between her creative decline and the increased frequency of creative flops. But that’s foolishness. For Madonna’s uneven legacy, Celebration will probably be a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Yes, yes, there’s been much hullabaloo about Madonna maybe-killing two of her dancers, which after figuratively castrating ex-husband Guy Ritchie and kidnapping a Brazilian boy and a little Malawi girl, may not seem like such a stretch. But appropriately enough, she’s also making time to celebrate her legacy, one that bottomed out right before the 21st century. For which reason, it’s no surprise that this collection, her third greatest hits package—second in nine years—banks on the appeal of her earlier work.

Everything about the campaign for this third volume of greatest hits—Celebration—smacks of long-ago nostalgia. Jonas Åkerlund is directing the collection’s first single of the same name. He lent his aesthetic brilliance to many of her past videos. This includes “Ray of Light”, a single spawned from what was arguably the final bit of pop brilliance the singer put out before her attempts at breaking trends started sliding, becoming contrived, though still respectable but then simply tragic.

Even the album art, designed by Mr. Brainwash, hearkens back to East Village street art. Though troublingly enough, it seems like imitation of street art, like the Urban Outfitters-ization of a Warholian prototype. Which may be the most succinct way of summarizing the pop star’s career—from her early Basquiat-dating days to eventual superstardom and megalomania. It also kind of hits that middle ground between when she started becoming more noted for sparking trends than pathetically limping to keep up with them.

It’s fine that the art visually places a notable emphasis on “Express Yourself” and “Vogue” over the travesties that would come much later; her body of work from the first 20 years of her career is nothing short of iconic. It’s just the near-decade since where Madonna has sabotaged the greatness of her own back-catalog with silly media stunts and cynical career choices. Nevertheless, that’s almost 30 years in the business, two thirds spent at the top. This is something no contemporary pop aspirant will achieve. Or at least not anytime soon.

We could hope for this collection to inspire the singer to take a hard look at the direct relation between her creative decline and the increased frequency of creative flops. But that’s foolishness. For Madonna’s uneven legacy, Celebration will probably be a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Of course they ignore the fact that it's been in the last decade that she over took Elvis with most Top 10 hits on Billborad Hot 100, she earned herself 5 more UK #1's, More of her albums have gone #1 on the top 200 in the US than either the 80's or 90's and finally 2 of her most recognizable songs (whether you like it or not) - Hung Up and 4 Minutes - (which also are her 2 best selling singles) were released this decade. Some people only see what they wanna see especially journalists who probably became so because they failed in the entertainment industry.

Exciting news...

Whoever mentioned that the cover made em think of the Sex Pistols, I'm with you. Love the cover. But I still don't get if it's the actual album cover or the single cover? There are conflicting reports, which is nothing new with Madonna news.

I'm glad the final tracklisting hasn't been finalized yet, at least hopefully the ones floating around online aren't real. Can't wait to see what the final tracklisting is, so so happy that EVERYBODY will be included. I wish Gambler would be included but I don't see that happening.

As I look back it's exciting to see where Madonna's career has gone, and how her music has basically always been the soundtrack in the background of my life. :inlove::vogue:

With all this talk about a career spanning collection I recently pulled out MADONNA the album & remembered how much I love her music.

I was also reminded how much I L O V E L O V E Physical Attraction. I would love to see her sing this song live, hopefully someday. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Can't wait till August 3rd, even more excited for CELEBRATION! :thumbsup:

Guest BytheBay
Everything about the campaign for this third volume of greatest hits—Celebration—smacks of long-ago nostalgia.

imagine that...a greatest hits project reeking of nostalgia :electropop:

Guest dicktracy

Don't hate it but I don't love it either. The concept is cool but the mash up of the two pics didn't work for me. Her forehead... and her face look distorted with the mismatched hairstyle. Her head is tilted and the hair is straight. She looks like an impersonator of herself. Maybe she DID want to look like she was trying to look like herself... :demonic::demonic::demonic::demonic::demonic::demonic::demonic::demonic:

What a stupid article, and it started with the first sentence. :crazy:

Guest dicktracy
supposed official tracklist from drownedmadonna forums:

2 CD EDITION

CD ONE

Vogue

Express Yourself

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach

La Isla Bonita

Everybody

Lucky Star

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Borderline

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Open Your Heart

Cherish

Like A Prayer

Justify My Love

Deeper & Deeper

Erotica

Rain

CD TWO

Celebration

Music

Get Together

Frozen

Hung Up

Ray Of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Don't Tell Me

Hollywood

Human Nature

Secret

Take A Bow

American Life

Die Another Day

Sorry

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Revolver

1 CD EDITION

Vogue

Express Yourself

Into The Groove

Papa Don't Preach

La Isla Bonita

Lucky Star

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Like A Prayer

Erotica

Music

Frozen

Hung Up

Ray Of Light

Don't Tell Me

Take A Bow

Sorry

4 Minutes

Celebration

Disc 1 is pretty good. It flows very nicely. Disc 2 is kind of a mess though. I like the songs that were picked but Frozen seems totally out of place between GT and HU. The 1 CD Edition is great. All tracks are deserving.

Judging by that track listing it should be called greatest hits & missed

It should be called Greatest Hits, Missed and Wish.

Wish, coz of Broken.

OK so anyway, I like the cover but like someone said on here, it would look much better without the font. Just the image alone sums the whole thing up. maybe the title used as a sticker