Say something NICE about M's AMERICAN PIE.

acko

Guest chatty kathy

I like the song. Not a fave, but not a total stinker either!

And video is just pure fun!

I'm surprised no one mentioned this since some have spoken how it was included on the Music album and the speculations why it wasn't on the GHV2 and that Madonna didn't really like it much.... however, if I recall it was RUPERT EVERETT that convince Madonna to cover that song. Initially, she didn't want to touch it. And I guess when the group in the film... The Next Best Thing sang it, Rupert persuaded Madonna to turn it into the theme song. But it was obvious, Madonna was reluctant in covering it, because she knows some songs shouldn't be touch.

However, I like her version much better than the original. I guess back in the day, the original worked. But to me, it's just too long and boring. Her version was edited down very nicely. I agree with HolidayGuy, it isn't her best song in her catalog, but it is an okay song. And honestly, I don't recall too much criticism, but what the criticism she got was quite ridiculous. I thought she covered it nicely without ruining it. I thought it was interesting that for an "American" song, it went no where on the charts, but went straight to #1 in England. Yet, the original did better in the U.S., back in the day.

I disagree that "The Next Best Thing" was a horrible film. I thought it was a pretty decent film. Madonna needed to relax more, but she's acted far worse. The whole movie reminds me of one of those TV MOVIES on LIFETIME (which the movie has been played on that channel numerous times).

I'm surprised no one mentioned this since some have spoken how it was included on the Music album and the speculations why it wasn't on the GHV2 and that Madonna didn't really like it much.... however, if I recall it was RUPERT EVERETT that convince Madonna to cover that song. Initially, she didn't want to touch it. And I guess when the group in the film... The Next Best Thing sang it, Rupert persuaded Madonna to turn it into the theme song. But it was obvious, Madonna was reluctant in covering it, because she knows some songs shouldn't be touch.

However, I like her version much better than the original. I guess back in the day, the original worked. But to me, it's just too long and boring. Her version was edited down very nicely. I agree with HolidayGuy, it isn't her best song in her catalog, but it is an okay song. And honestly, I don't recall too much criticism, but what the criticism she got was quite ridiculous. I thought she covered it nicely without ruining it. I thought it was interesting that for an "American" song, it went no where on the charts, but went straight to #1 in England. Yet, the original did better in the U.S., back in the day.

I disagree that "The Next Best Thing" was a horrible film. I thought it was a pretty decent film. Madonna needed to relax more, but she's acted far worse. The whole movie reminds me of one of those TV MOVIES on LIFETIME (which the movie has been played on that channel numerous times).

Well, the single went #29 on the Billboard Hot 100, and since the single release was scrapped last minute, I think it did very good based on ariplay only.

Guest Pud Whacker
Well, the single went #29 on the Billboard Hot 100, and since the single release was scrapped last minute, I think it did very good based on ariplay only.

and it would have done much better had MADONNA released the single and not made HER FANS buy the soundtrack to shift more discs from maverick.

Sadly the track itself is atrocious and I think it would be a crime to include it on the upcoming GH.

it needs to be included.

someone twisted her arm previously, now someone needs to pinch her

it needs to be included.

someone twisted her arm previously, now someone needs to pinch her

But think about it. This will be THE DISC(S) all casual fans will buy when they want to listen to Madonna's WARNER YEARS for ALL ETERNITY. Do you really want that song to be included along with Madonnas best FOREVER AND EVER?

I could never stand the original version. As far as I am concerned, she fixed the whole song with her spin on it.

Guest ursaminorjim
it needs to be included.

But it's a crap version of a crap song!

I mean, I know it's too much to expect Madonna to be responsible for a certain taste level for her hits compilation, but come on - really?

But think about it. This will be THE DISC(S) all casual fans will buy when they want to listen to Madonna's WARNER YEARS for ALL ETERNITY. Do you really want that song to be included along with Madonnas best FOREVER AND EVER?

Yes because the song was HUGE, so if this new release is going to be a greatest HITS (and not just a collection) the song must be included.

Guest ursaminorjim

And that's exactly why I'm hoping for a best-of. And not a hits collection.

A man can dream, can't he?

and it would have done much better had MADONNA released the single and not made HER FANS buy the soundtrack to shift more discs from maverick.

It was the same thing with "Beautiful Stranger". That song would've gone top 3, I think, if it had been a single. As for American Pie, it would've gone top 10, easily, as much as it was played.

Guest ursaminorjim
If I'm not mistaken, this song was HUGE in Europe...one of her biggest hits ever there.

Yeah, well...Scooter's big too.

hate the song ; love the video

During promo for GHV2 Matt Lauer asked why was American Pie left off ( being a recent hit ) and she said " I don't know I guess I'm punishing it b/c I was forced to put it on the European version of Music" then she laughed i always found that very funny .. like her songs really are her children

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

She looked cute in the video with the denim and tiara. But the song is boring and rubbish.

Say something nice about it? Well, at least Don McLean was gracious enough about her covering it (even if his fans weren't.)

Never really understood the significance of why this was recorded for the soundtrack though. Doesn't match the film. On the radio here, they used to play this really cheesy, hyper tempo'd dance remix of it. I remember being at the gym at the time while the club had the radio on and the song played. One of the guys on the workout floor snidely remarked: 'I can't believe this bitch desecrated a classic like that.'

Guest ursaminorjim

Didn't they all sing it at the funeral or something?

*FLASHBACK*

(GOD, what a lousy movie...)

Guest Bastian
so 8 years later it reminds u of 9/11 cuz it came out 1 year before? :confused:

No...

The lyrics remind me of 9/11 because that's the day the music died.

I loved her cover and still do.

I remember hearing that some radio stations had to stop playing it because they were receiving threats :rolleyes: because it was supposedly such a disgrace to the original

i also ADORE Time Stood Still

and I really love the whole The Next Best Thing soundtrack, really... I listen to it often.

This song sounds like it was spun from cotton candy and Diet Dr. Pepper. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does come across a little too "saccharin sweet" for repeat listens.

I love the video though - it's very playful and it is nice to see Madonna share the spotlight with ordinary folks. Love her jeans too.

I am curious if "Easter" would've been a better track for the movie. Madonna said she originally wanted that Patti Smith song instead of the Don McLean classic but Rupert convinced her to do "American Pie" (yet another reason he deserves his awful face now).

I'm so late to this thread somehow!

Someone (MaddysMuff, I think) said this, too, but "Beautiful Stranger" suffered the same fate. It did very well -- I think it cracked the top 20 -- on airplay alone, with no proper physical CD single release (and there weren't downloads in those days -- well, legal ones, anyway, that were part of a chart formula). So sad.

Ah, so THAT'S why we didn't get the single release like other markets did?! I never understood that, but I guess it makes sense now. (As others said, though, that soundtrack was pretty good, actually. And I still would have bought the soundtrack for "Time Stood Still," which is gorgeous, lush, melancholy Madonna. What's not to love?)

Say something nice about it? Well, at least Don McLean was gracious enough about her covering it (even if his fans weren't.)

Never really understood the significance of why this was recorded for the soundtrack though. Doesn't match the film. On the radio here, they used to play this really cheesy, hyper tempo'd dance remix of it. I remember being at the gym at the time while the club had the radio on and the song played. One of the guys on the workout floor snidely remarked: 'I can't believe this bitch desecrated a classic like that.'

Yeah, why exactly did the Vission remix get serviced to stations. Seriously, I almost believe that was sabotage. That should never have been played on the radio -- clubs, maybe. Or if there are dance remix stations -- which I doubt there were before digital/satellite radio became big. That version is not really for mainstream consumption. The Orbit version is far more palatable -- although the hard-core and anti-Madonna would criticize it no matter what. I just don't think it helped any. One of my friends (who isn't overly fond of Madonna) said it sounded like she was doing aerobics to it. So the version she must have been hearing on the radio (in Boston) was the remix. I don't think Orbit's sounds like that at all, and I think it's lovely. And, as you pointed out, Etips, so did Don McLean. I'll see if I can dig up his quote somewhere.

Didn't they all sing it at the funeral or something?

*FLASHBACK*

(GOD, what a lousy movie...)

Yeah, they sang it at the funeral. Madonna is hugging Neil Patrick Harris with her chin on his shoulder.

My two cents: LOVE her vocals, love Orbit's production, and the video is enjoyable.

(Oh and partially the reason she might not have had so much hate about the 'controversial' elements of the video -- the two kisses -- is that it's so far into the video that very few actually saw it, unless they were watching the premiere. After that, it was on TRL, but TRL didn't usually show the whole video, if I remember correctly. Isn't it funny to think that this was almost ten years ago, and that this video was embraced by the TRL audience?! Hard to believe...)

Found this online... Sounds like the full quote, I think. (I sometimes read a shortened version in articles about it.) I wonder if she asked him to do something like this if/when she sought his approval to cover it? Just so as to soften some of the backlash. (I do recall seeing in an interview -- with Entertainment Tonight and possibly others -- where she said "No, didn't want to do it. Didn't want to cover a classic song." And the interviewer said, "But you did." And she said, "Yeah, well that's how much influence he has over me!" -- referring to Rupert. It was his favorite record as a kid or something, so this must have been his dream to have her record it and to be involved with it, to boot!)

Don McLean was delighted with Madonna’s version. He issued the following statement that became widely quoted in the worldwide media:

“Madonna is a colossus in the music industry and she is going to be considered an important historical figure as well. She is a fine singer, a fine songwriter and record producer, and she has the power to guarantee success with any song she chooses to record. It is a gift for her to have recorded ‘American Pie.’ I have heard her version and I think it is sensual and mystical. I also feel that she’s chosen autobiographical verses that reflect her career and personal history. I hope it will cause people to ask what’s happening to music in America. I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess.”

The only things I can tolerate about it is the Australian promo poster that was up in stores at the time and that cool darker promo mix that leaked a few years ago now. That's all.