US Chart Talk: 10/25/08

thebigham

Guest hotstickyandsweet
Does this mean Britney now holds the record for biggest jump to No.1 and biggest jump on the Hot 100?

She sure do!! It's Britney BITCH

HITS for next week:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Three of next week’s four bestsellers could be debuts, led by near-certain chart-topper Kenny Chesney (BNA/SBMG Nashville), who’s trotting toward 170-180k, enough to topple T.I. (Grand Hustle/Atlantic) 120-125k from #1 after two weeks. Critics’ darling Ray LaMontagne (RCA/RMG) finds himself in new territory with a likely #3 debut at 50-55k, followed by Keane (Interscope), trending toward 45-50k—but so are incumbents Jennifer Hudson (Arista/RMG), Metallica (Warner Bros.), Kid Rock (Atlantic) and Ne-Yo (Def Jam/IDJ), so we’ve got a horse race for #4. Two more bows should round out the Top 10: Lucinda Williams (Lost Highway) and Billy Currington (Mercury Nashville), both projecting 30-35k. (10/17a)

1) Kenny Chesney 170-180K

2)T.I 120-125K

3)Ray LaMontagne 50-55K

4 - 8) Keane, J-Hud, Metallica, Kid Rock, Ne-Yo 45-50K

9-10) Lucinda Williams, Billy Currington 30-35K

nfails, what the public buys doesn't always jive with what the general radio audience wants to hear. So, an act can sell millions and not be a radio darling. Plus, Spears' music just doesn't appeal to much outside the pop format- hence the low recurrent play and all.

nfails, what the public buys doesn't always jive with what the general radio audience wants to hear. So, an act can sell millions and not be a radio darling. Plus, Spears' music just doesn't appeal to much outside the pop format- hence the low recurrent play and all.

But that simply doesn't make sense. The public that purchase records are generally the public that listen to the radio (due to a like of music). No, Britney shouldn't be played to death on Urban or whatever, but there is simply no need for her CHR Pop peaks to be so low. I understand with the last era due to the negative publicity and people not wanting to support her until she is "well", but given that pretty much every other country worldwide is more than happy to have her do decently in their airplay charts (Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, NZ...) then it really is stupid that the US don't.

It seems to mirror Madge a bit nowadays. Obviously she's fighting the age barrier bias, but the performance of "Hung Up" etc mirrors the same situation Britney is in.

then this should apply to all acts and not just Britney. i dont for one second accept that the general radio audience wants to ignore britney and have xtina played. britney is one ofthe most talked about and most followed people in this world. she may not be liked by all, but like madonna i think a lot of people will give her music a listen once to see what she has come out with.

Eww... so Britney has 2 #1's now.... :thumbsdown:

I seriously have no idea why there is so much anti-xtina on these boards... yet people tolerate Britney fucking Spears. It's beyond me..

Eww... so Britney has 2 #1's now.... :thumbsdown:

I seriously have no idea why there is so much anti-xtina on these boards... yet people tolerate Britney fucking Spears. It's beyond me..

:thumbsup::thumbsup: youre not alone, trust me.

Guest nothingfails0603

well, I can understand why someone like Norah Jones or Josh Groban almosy never scores at radio, but Britney's music is audio fast food. Her music is all about maxing the mainstream appeal and is the type of music that is geared to be played out on radio. For radio to snub her is a totally different than than Norah Jones being snubbed. Britney is way too mainstream and pop to get the snubs she gets. Now, the Blackout era makes sense since she was going through a major media backlash, but right now she's probably the biggest thing in pop music with the Womanizer video and everything. Much like when radio wasn't playing her in 2001-2002 even tho the "Britney" album sold 5 million. Britney is way too mainstream to have radio snubbing her like that.

Not everything that sells well has a high across the board request rate. Kenny G., Josh Groban and Norah Jones albums have massively sold too, but that doesn’t mean that there’s a great enough listener demand for the individual songs to be broadcast. I’m not a fan of either Britney or Christina, but (in general) the latter makes more radio-accessible music than the former.

Guest nothingfails0603
Not everything that sells well has a high across the board request rate. Kenny G., Josh Groban and Norah Jones albums have massively sold too, but that doesn’t mean that there’s a great enough listener demand for the individual songs to be broadcast. I’m not a fan of either Britney or Christina, but (in general) the latter makes more radio-accessible music than the former.

exactly, Britney's NOT Tori Amos/Bjork, she's all about having hit singles

But why are you angry Britney has 2 No. 1 hits now? I don't get it. She's not threatening anybody.

But why are you angry Britney has 2 No. 1 hits now? I don't get it. She's not threatening anybody.

I know. I'm irritated all the time because of the charts.... I really shouldn't care, but I like data/info. :zombie:

Guest nothingfails0603

well, I'm no Britney fan either... but wouldn't you rather see her at the top of the charts than the average disposable rapper like we get all the time now? I mean, people at least are talking about Womanizer, I know not one soul that T.I. is even on the radar of.

well, I'm no Britney fan either... but wouldn't you rather see her at the top of the charts than the average disposable rapper like we get all the time now? I mean, people at least are talking about Womanizer, I know not one soul that T.I. is even on the radar of.

Yes, ur right... I'd much rather see Britney on top than some random rapper. However, T.I.'s "Whatever You'd Like" is SEXY. I love that song. I'd take it over Womanizer any day.

I wish artists like Annie Lennox could manage a #1 hit. It'll never happen.. so, as I said be4, I really shouldn't pay any attention to the charts.

Guest nothingfails0603
Yes, ur right... I'd much rather see Britney on top than some random rapper. However, T.I.'s "Whatever You'd Like" is SEXY. I love that song. I'd take it over Womanizer any day.

I wish artists like Annie Lennox could manage a #1 hit. It'll never happen.. so, as I said be4, I really shouldn't pay any attention to the charts.

yea, I still like to read charts, but it became easier to take it with a grain of salt realizing that radio is all about catering to the lowest common demoninator. It's all musical fast food, stuff that's hot right now and won't sit well in six months. It says a lot when 4 Minutes is the biggest hit M's had since Don't Tell Me here, and I don't think she's had a single divide her fanbase more than that besides American Life. I like Rihanna for instance but I think it's safe to say she's gonna go the way of Miss Lopez and the others and the songs become stale once the 15 minutes run out. Umbrella may be an exception to the rule, but for every Umbrella, there's a Take A Bow and a Shut Up And Drive that I haven't wanted to hear in months

Just ask Ashanti. They promoted her as the next Aretha Franklin. HA!

WOW... they seriously did that? Why Aretha? Aretha's never been a rapper's hoe nor anybody's, right?

and she doesn't belt out songs like the Queen of Soul... so what made them say that?

nf, there is a difference between a Norah Jones and a Britney Spears. But, again, the general radio audience apparently doesn't like Spears too much. We see young acts (i.e. Disney-related) selling a lot of downloads at iTunes and not getting great radio play

Christina Aguilera's music is appealing to AC, Hot AC, etc.- that's why she gets good recurrent airplay. Spears' music isn't. There's no debate that Spears is very mainstream, but the radio audience just ain't crazy for her.

Guest nothingfails0603
nf, there is a difference between a Norah Jones and a Britney Spears. But, again, the general radio audience apparently doesn't like Spears too much. We see young acts (i.e. Disney-related) selling a lot of downloads at iTunes and not getting great radio play

Christina Aguilera's music is appealing to AC, Hot AC, etc.- that's why she gets good recurrent airplay. Spears' music isn't. There's no debate that Spears is very mainstream, but the radio audience just ain't crazy for her.

how do we know the radio audience isn't crazy for her? You have to remember how different the late 90's teen idols reached a wider audience than todays audience. Todays Disney stars are seen as people only 9-12 listen to, Britney/BSB/N'Sync/Christina had 20-something fans even back in 1999, you can't compare the popularity Miley has today (and even she had a big radio hit with "See You Again") to those artists a decade ago.

There is absolutely no reason Britney doesn't receive the same numbers Rihanna gets... it's hardly like Rihanna's really an "urban" artist anyways, she might have a few Take A Bow/Hate That I Love You type of singles, but for the most part, she's as pop as Britney... yet her album sales have been shit from the beginning and it's taken seven singles and a reissue to get Good Girl Gone Bad close to two million... before the reissue, the album was barely outselling Blackout.

(I really can't believe I'm defending Britney... but to be honest, she is probably the biggest female pop star we've gotten in the past decade, but radio wants her to go away)

Guest blueferris

i can believe that britney isnt that requested.

the bitch SUCKS!

her music is always uber CORNY & her singing is ATROCIOUS!!! yuck!!!

strike 1 & 2.

if there really IS a "blackout" or BIAS against her (which i doubt! i really think that listeners

just dont give a fuck about her enough to bother requesting her crap! ) then whatever.

hope it continues. i know when i'm driving to & from work everyday, i have

no desire to hear any of her "music" on the radio!!!