Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

I agree: as much as I love GITM, I can´t see it being a modest radio hit. TBGO is a good song, I like it too, and it´s more US friendly (just becuase the rapper is there, yes)

I think it would be a good idea to release different singles in different regions, i.e TBGO in the US/Canada and GITM in Europe. It worked very well with Nelly Furtado. Although I am not particularly found of GITM.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

You know it's really interesting the backslash that is seemingly happening. I think I've already dissed the album plenty, but I think the current events say it all.

You know it's really interesting the backslash that is seemingly happening. I think I've already dissed the album plenty, but I think the current events say it all.

Yeah. Remaining in the top 10 for a month and having one of the biggest hits of the year, and in 3 weeks time having the 3rd biggest album of the year. What a backlash. I dont know how Madonna is going to dig herself back up. :dramatic:

Guest Synth
Yeah. Remaining in the top 10 for a month and having one of the biggest hits of the year, and in 3 weeks time having the 3rd biggest album of the year. What a backlash. I dont know how Madonna is going to dig herself back up. :dramatic:

:dramatic:

Oh my I know!

It's like her whole career is over!

With having a world breaking record and all :lmao:

It's like Erotica Part 2! :doh:

:dramatic:

Oh my I know!

It's like her whole career is over!

With having a world breaking record and all :lmao:

It's like Erotica Part 2! :doh:

And did you hear! I think there is going to be a few empty seats at one of her shows!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared: Madonna is going to have to sign up for Foodstamps and WIC! :dramatic:

Guest Synth
Aww, let the poor kid go. He's a good soul.

Aw okay.

But I just don't see how people can say this is a backlash.

Hard Candy SoundScan

SDV: 741

5/17: 1 MADONNA HARD CANDY 279,522 741 999 280,273

5/24: 3 MADONNA HARD CANDY 94,177 279,522 -66.3% 374,450

5/31: 8 MADONNA HARD CANDY 53,302 94,177 -43% 427,752

6/07: 9 MADONNA HARD CANDY 39,000 53,302 -28% ~466k

well then i guess Usher is having an even bigger backlash since his new album is predicted to sell between 425K-450K in it's first week and his last album sold 1,096,000 in its first week!

Already Gold!! :clap:

I sounded like a Janet loon :gross:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

and Usher is doing what I thought he was going to do, 400.000 copies or more on its first week...yes, it´s a big drop for him...maybe madonna is not doing that bad after all

well then i guess Usher is having an even bigger backlash since his new album is predicted to sell between 425K-450K in it's first week and his last album sold 1,096,000 in its first week!

Backlash...What the fuck are you people talking about?

There's a backlash against every recording artist in America... or the world... or just the ones whos album you didn't like... or whatever.

Hope that helps!

There's a backlash against every recording artist in America... or the world... or just the ones whos album you didn't like... or whatever.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Yes, the backlash has started.

He is referencing a post by Joeys Hung Up On Madonna, where he said Madonna is suffering a backlash right now.

Scanned 38,632 last week, a drop of roughly 28%- total stands at 466,384. AL scanned 33,509 in its 4th week, which was a decline of roughly 42% from its 3rd week.

HC extends its 4-week lead over American Life- it's now running 42,774 ahead of where AL was after 4 weeks.

In its 5th week, AL dropped roughly 27.5%. We'll see how HC holds up in week 5.

Hard Candy SoundScan

SDV: 741

5/17: 1 MADONNA HARD CANDY 279,522 741 999 280,273

5/24: 3 MADONNA HARD CANDY 94,177 279,522 -66.3% 374,450

5/31: 8 MADONNA HARD CANDY 53,302 94,177 -43% 427,752

6/07: 9 MADONNA HARD CANDY 38,632 53,302 -28% 466,384

I think Madonna will release a pop/ballad album next and it will do much better. Her image this time was too gimicky for people to latch onto. Nobody thinks Madonna is a hardcore hip-hop slut. Nobody wants her to be that, either.

Guest missy bi_tch

she should appear on some good tv shows

even george michael's 25 took a return to 200 at #98 following his one-song AI appearance. not even to plug new album but tour.

comparing all albums which chart with madonna in their first week, some have fallen way down to the bottom of the top 100...

so hard candy is not too bad really... clay aiken which someone mentions madonna being just a tad bit higher in week 2 than him...well he has fallen way down

There's nothing hardcore hiphop slut about HC or Madonna in this era. The album is doing fine in this era of diminished sales, so these numbers are not so surprising.

Madonna is constantly blamed on this board for not doing enough promotion, when in fact she's done more than enough imo. WB has done ZILCH in the area of promoting THEIR PRODUCT. I have'nt seen one poster,flyer,billboard, or commercial here in New York, advertising the release of this record. They did way more promo for Confessions, even though it was pretty lame. It's so obvious that M and WB are completely done with each other, over this project.

Live Nation will promote the fuck out of her next project, and I would not be surprised if's a completely DIGITAL release. The physical album is DEAD.

^The physical album is not dead.

From this week's Billboard:

Albums sold this week: 7.433 million

Digital albums sold this week: 1.184 million

YTD:

CD: 132.717 million

Digital: 23.987 million

^ I wouldnt say it is dead yet. We all know sales are much lower than, say 5 yrs ago, but some albums still manage to sell over 8 million copies worldwide....

HC is doing ok, but just ok. I would call it a flop, but not a success either...

True- it's not dead- but it keeps on declining, and if it continues to do so, it eventually will be (sadly). The CD format needs to find some stabilization, otherwise it's going to end up the way of cassette albums. Or, digital albums really need to take off bigtime to counter the CD's decline.

Remember the days when albums and singles co-existed nicely and both prospered? Sigh...