Predict 1st week U.S. sales for HC!!!!!!

Perhaps the days of Madonna CDs going double or triple platinum in the U.S are over?

I blame U.S radio for that! The only reason they're playing 4 MINUTES is because it's a Timbaland/Timberlake track.

U.S radio programmers aren't interested in Madonna, they closed their minds to her some time ago.

Now it's just generic R&B/Rap crap and Nickleback. :thumbsdown:

Probably you're right, but let's see.

Perhaps the days of Madonna CDs going double or triple platinum in the U.S are over?

I blame U.S radio for that! The only reason they're playing 4 MINUTES is because it's a Timbaland/Timberlake track.

U.S radio programmers aren't interested in Madonna, they closed their minds to her some time ago.

Now it's just generic R&B/Rap crap and Nickleback. :thumbsdown:

I dont buy into that. That the only reason they are playing it is because of Justin and Timbaland. Sure it helps, but if Madonna wasnt someone who rado programers can bank on their audience listening to or caring about they still wouldnt play it. It didnt help Duran Duran at all. Why? Because no one gives a crap about them anymore. Anyway you spin it, Madonna is still a very big name and has the ability to still tap into a younger generation.

Guest socalboy1984
If the album ends up selling as much as Confessions (and i'm sure it will), then it's a success as far as i'm concerned.

The obsession so many here have for her sales is more than a bit scary, and the constant comparisons with Mariah need to cease immediately.

Hate her all you want, but Mariah is a way bigger music star in America than Madonna. Deal with it and move on!

Madonna could perform card tricks on Letterman, sing on Oprah, or lock lips with Ellen, and she still wouldn't touch Mariah's sales.

Madonna will debut next week with her 7th #1 U.S album, and all some of you psychos can do is cry over some fucking numbers. That's not being a fan, it's being fucking crazy. I'm sure Madonna will garner way more positive press next week for her #1, while her "fans" will be throwing themselves under a shortbus in utter dispair.

Ugh

Thank you for this amazing post. Some people on this board need a life.

The way I see this album. It's like image repair. She's connecting with her American audience again (like Mariah did with "Mimi" and Madonna did with "Ray of Light" in 1998). Stellar sales for the "comeback" album and release a followup in 2-3 years and the next album will do bigger numbers. Just chill out and see the big picture. it's all good, Madonna's had amazing success and airplay. Sales are stellar. Enjoy the ride and quit bitchin about her promo. We don't need to see her everywhere, whoring herself. That's gonna look worse for her image, cause then she looks like a desperate grandma.

Guest socalboy1984
I always thought Confessions was the album to repair the AL damage. It was not stellar in US but It sold decently.

sometimes it takes a few albums to repair. (ie. Bedtime Stories, Evita)

Guest jamesshot
If the album ends up selling as much as Confessions (and i'm sure it will), then it's a success as far as i'm concerned.

The obsession so many here have for her sales is more than a bit scary, and the constant comparisons with Mariah need to cease immediately.

Hate her all you want, but Mariah is a way bigger music star in America than Madonna. Deal with it and move on!

Madonna could perform card tricks on Letterman, sing on Oprah, or lock lips with Ellen, and she still wouldn't touch Mariah's sales.

Madonna will debut next week with her 7th #1 U.S album, and all some of you psychos can do is cry over some fucking numbers. That's not being a fan, it's being fucking crazy. I'm sure Madonna will garner way more positive press next week for her #1, while her "fans" will be throwing themselves under a shortbus in utter dispair.

Ugh

Mariah ONLY started selling more than Madonna with her last record. Who sells out stadiums and who can barely give away seats at a drive in?

Guest boytoyville

Confessions did more than "decent" To put in into perspective Justin super SMASH album Future/Sex Love Sounds did 9 million. Confessions was one of 05/06 top sellers worldwide!

considering that COADF sold 1 million more copies than AL, or... more than double, i'd say that it DID repair a lot of the damage.

the reality is, madonna is in her third decade as an artist... and nearing her fifth decade... as a human being. that's several eternities in pop life.

after the Erotica/Sex backlash, madonna's career took a hit. partly because of the backlash, and partly because she was getting older (or people were getting tired or bored with her). and, even though, she eventually recovered with ROL... even ROL's numbers weren't as strong as her 80s numbers (fewer #1's and no more albums selling more than 5M in the US).

as others have pointed out, madonna's next "big comeback" album will probably sell something closer to 2.5 - 3 million... not the 4 or 5 million of ROL.

Ok, but working with the hot R&B producers, this album was supposed to be the big comeback.

Guest bingo818
This thread is about ALBUM SALES, not TOURING where Madonna kicks her and everyone elses ass.

I NEVER compare the two of them. All i'm doing is pointing out the absurdity of this fan created diva battle, that's taken over this forum.

It's like some people are getting off on the drama of comparing their record sales, and then having a fit when Madonna doesn't live up to their unrealistic goals.

Madonna is not stupid or lazy. If she wanted to pimp her album out on every show, or hire homeless men to carry a banner with her pic on it through Times SQ, she could have. Unlike Mariah, she has a husband, and 3 kids that are more important than dragging her ass all over the planet to make "fans" feel better about worshipping her. Until today Mariah had nothing else going for her beyond her obsessive promotion.

I prefer Madonna's approach. Hard Candy is great, and people will come around to it. The panic mode mentality around here is just insane. The record has been out barely 72 hrs, and some of you are already seeing an AL sized flop.

Chill

You can phrase it whatever way makes you feel better, but bigger album sales means bigger musical star imo.

In the U.S of course.

Whoever suggests Madonna is lazy is beyond me. She has different prioirities in her life now. I'm totally fine with that. She seems to care more about charity work than promoting her music, I think that's awesome.

One record worth mentioning is, Hard Candy will be her 4th consecutive #1 studio album. She will have scored 2 hattricks come next week, the first being LAV, TB, LAP. At this age, with this kind of achievement, it's phenomenal. I agree Mariah has been a bigger star than Madonna in the US, in fact the past 15 years, why can't some fans be realistic and deal with it. Calling her cow, fat pussy etc wont change the facts regarding record sales and airplay in the US. Side note, I think the airplay business in the US is preposterous, but I have to deal with that if that's how it works. However, Madonna is the true international superstar, Mariah isn't. Madonna is icon and a legend, Mariah hardly.

Edited by bingo818

How many times do we have to mention that Madge is the real international star and Mariah the local one?

Madonna's international stardom won't make her sell more records in the US and this my deers is a US thread.

Madonna is an icon and Mariah isn't, fact. YET, Mariah sells more records in the US.

considering that COADF sold 1 million more copies than AL, or... more than double, i'd say that it DID repair a lot of the damage.

the reality is, madonna is in her third decade as an artist... and nearing her fifth decade... as a human being. that's several eternities in pop life.

after the Erotica/Sex backlash, madonna's career took a hit. partly because of the backlash, and partly because she was getting older (or people were getting tired or bored with her). and, even though, she eventually recovered with ROL... even ROL's numbers weren't as strong as her 80s numbers (fewer #1's and no more albums selling more than 5M in the US).

as others have pointed out, madonna's next "big comeback" album will probably sell something closer to 2.5 - 3 million... not the 4 or 5 million of ROL.

People also tend to forget that LAP sold considerably less than True Blue. In the US, Madonna has never been a sales behemoth since the eighties. What's really her strength has been her ability to sell steadily and persist even when she may not necessarily be the most popular artist at any given moment. 25 years later, many fads and one-album wonders have come and gone but she's still ticking away.

Guest Danny86
LMFAO at people saying Madonna has "let down so many fans." :lmao:

How exactly has she let US down?? By putting out a wonderful collection of songs and debuting at the top of the album chart?!

I know right.

The worst is when they say "oh Mariah worked so much harder!!!" - like, recording an album that has songs sounding like from her 1995 album and then going on tv shows is a harder work than Madonna creating 12 cool songs and giving mini gigs for her fans? :thumbsdown:

You guys are all overreacting. We have only the first day selling feedback.

Let's look at the facts of sales from same calendar weeks:

Fact: 4 Minutes sold 217.000 copies on first week of release and Touch My Body sold 286.000

Another Fact: 4 Minutes sold 1,041 million after 5 weeks and Touch My Body sold 0,796 million

So for the single sales fact we saw Mariah selling A LOT more on the week of release of her single but Madonna having more steady sales and having sold a lot more after 5 weeks...

Fact: First day of sales for E=MC2 was 156k and HARD CANDY was 100k

The same proporcional sales difference on first day singles sales.

Fact: E=MC2 sold 454k on week of release. Hard Candy is projected to sell around 300k

Another Fact: E=MC2 sold 182k on second week.... (40% from Week of release numbers / a 60% drop on sales)

If sales predition get it right we will have it selling the same proportional difference that the singles had.

Let's see how fair Hard Candy will do on sales doing after 5 weeks... and let's see if it will have a 60% drop on 2nd week also.

If the trends continues the same we look at Mariah selling very well on first week and dropping fast on following weeks while people wanting to buy Madonnas' Album are not rushing to buy it on first week... like it also happened with the single.

Again... learn to wait and don't be so Hysterical about it ;)

I know right.

The worst is when they say "oh Mariah worked so much harder!!!" - like, recording an album that has songs sounding like from her 1995 album and then going on tv shows is a harder work than Madonna creating 12 cool songs and giving mini gigs for her fans? :thumbsdown:

Preparing those 38 minute shows it takes up a lot more work for sure than all the promo that Mariah did. Besides... it's worldwide promo as it makes news everywhere and it is broadcasted on Internet (Vodafone in Europe - At least here in Portugal too) on the news (both internet and TV News) all over the world. Here in Portugal they played a clip on prime-time news too. Vodafone was even doing TV Commercials about the Internet and mobil phone exclusive Broadcast!!!

This show also prooved to anyone doubting that she will always be the Queen of Pop no matter what... and in what better shape than Justin she is... no matter she is so much older... a shame for new pop stars to whom is a lot easier to be in shape because of age.

it still could be. we just don't know yet. we won't know until we see how the 2nd, 3d and 4th singles perform. if she has one or two or THREE more hits, this album could easily sell 2.5 - 3 million copies.

:lmao:

Guest beachboi-69
You guys are all overreacting. We have only the first day selling feedback.

Let's look at the facts of sales from same calendar weeks:

Fact: 4 Minutes sold 217.000 copies on first week of release and Touch My Body sold 286.000

Another Fact: 4 Minutes sold 1,041 million after 5 weeks and Touch My Body sold 0,796 million

So for the single sales fact we saw Mariah selling A LOT more on the week of release of her single but Madonna having more steady sales and having sold a lot more after 5 weeks...

Fact: First day of sales for E=MC2 was 156k and HARD CANDY was 100k

The same proporcional sales difference on first day singles sales.

Fact: E=MC2 sold 454k on week of release. Hard Candy is projected to sell around 300k

Another Fact: E=MC2 sold 182k on second week.... (40% from Week of release numbers / a 60% drop on sales)

If sales predition get it right we will have it selling the same proportional difference that the singles had.

Let's see how fair Hard Candy will do on sales doing after 5 weeks... and let's see if it will have a 60% drop on 2nd week also.

If the trends continues the same we look at Mariah selling very well on first week and dropping fast on following weeks while people wanting to buy Madonnas' Album are not rushing to buy it on first week... like it also happened with the single.

Again... learn to wait and don't be so Hysterical about it ;)

Very well Put.............

What was everyone expecting????????? Perhaps the numbers presently sounds a bit lack luster to you people....... BUT

Unless I have completely lost my mind... Everyone wanted a hit single in the USA and Madonna back on the Radio!

Well we have the hit single.. we have people warming up to Madonna on Radio!... The Best Selling Singles of the Divas..IS 4 MINUTES!.. Which is also about to beat Mariah's peak on Top 40 format .. that same format that brought her to where she is right now in the USA... This is Gold!!!!!

This single and Album has alot more chance of erasing any "American Life" drama... and that has already been proven.

IMO if "4 Minutes" had been released the following week after Mariah.. it very well may have hit #1. However it was not really that important.

Madonna blasted up to the top three and broke an ALLTIME record that stole some of Mariah's shine away from her own somewhat questionable accomplishment.

Everyone is so quick to dissmiss success.

Why Do American fans get a little over bored and obsessed with things?

Sometimes it scares me.

This is a great success... The 2nd single that has not even been promoted...... yet... is about to bow on the HOT 100. Would this been happening in the past 7 years.. NO.

Regardless.. I think it will open near 350,000 like "Confession's" ..... Or Perhaps it's a sign of the times............ People are just gonna buy singles they like.. and mix there own cd's... hmmmmmmmm... I am kinda wondering why Madonna joined Live Nation........ NOT

This is a new age and time ... and yes eventually the Hot 100.. will become more sales mark my words. Timing is no-longer in anyones favor for releasing singles.

Fans will buy albums... People will buy singles and Ipod what the F*Ck they want.

Edited by beachboi-69

I dont understand either the continuous comparisons between Madonna and M Carey. This comparison looks bad on Madonna fans...we need to look ahead, at worthwhile artists and performers, not behind....

I WILL SAY THIS ONCE: HOW THE F*CK IS 300K A FLOP WHEN WITH HER MONSTER HIT MUSIC SHE SOLD 400K+ IN ***MUCH*** BETTER TIMES FOR ALBUM SALES AND THE QUEEN OF AMERICAN MUSIC LOL MARIAH CAREY WITH HUGE a HUGE HIT AND MASSIVE AIRPLAY + YOUTH SELL 464K???????

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Guest beachboi-69
I WILL SAY THIS ONCE: HOW THE F*CK IS 300K A FLOP WHEN WITH HER MONSTER HIT MUSIC SHE SOLD 400K+ IN ***MUCH*** BETTER TIMES FOR ALBUM SALES AND THE QUEEN OF AMERICAN MUSIC LOL MARIAH CAREY WITH HUGE a HUGE HIT AND MASSIVE AIRPLAY + YOUTH SELL 464K???????

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Well said ....

Nice Boxster.. Mine is red!

:p

Edited by beachboi-69

Guest missy bi_tch

WAKE UP PEOPLE.

music sold 423k to be exact...

obviously different people have different expectations...

i think 300k is not a bad figure given that april is not a hot month...even confessions was released in 05 in apr, it might do less too

ummmmmmmmmmmm

does anyone know for sure it's selling 300k yet?

is that the official #???

last time i heard they hadn't taken into account the digital sales???

i'm confused.

ummmmmmmmmmmm

i'm confused.

Guest beachboi-69
ummmmmmmmmmmm

i'm confused.

Nothing is certain.. everyone jumps the gun here.

Everyone should just go buy a few more copies or gift it.. and shut up LOL

:p

with a 100k sales on the first day, Hard Candy's already a smash!!!! :)

I actually wonder why BDS estimated it to be just 225k-250k... it sold much of the 100k from pre-orders they say, and they expect only 125k-150k additional physical sales and digital ones?

I actually wonder why BDS estimated it to be just 225k-250k... it sold much of the 100k from pre-orders they say, and they expect only 125k-150k additional physical sales and digital ones?

100K sales for the 1st day? is that whats been stated?

is that from preorders MTZ?

Im lost....

So what is happening is that they believe most fans already bought the CD and now its basically the new ones?

I thought there were long lines for HC on the 1st day?

whatever...someone clarify :scared: