Predict 1st week U.S. sales for HC!!!!!!

If it ends up with similar sales to COADF, I think it's all good.

That would actually mean she has done better this time around. 1.7 million in 2008 is like 2.5 million in 2005.

You all disappoint me...

no wonder why Madonna will never make it big in the US again with such lame fans...

that's all I have to say more about this subject... and I leave it like that...

sorry I can't join your party over this estimated sales numbers...

Guest Bad Robot
You all disappoint me...

no wonder why Madonna will never make it big in the US again with such lame fans...

that's all I have to say more about this subject... and I leave it like that...

sorry I can't join your party over this estimated sales numbers...

Jesus Christ. Shut up, please. You know how many times you've said "I'll leave it at that" and then you keep on posting your bitchy, negative drivel?

Who is celebrating? You are the most negative person I have ever encountered on this board. All you do is post misinformed opinions on how awful things are doing.

No one is claiming this is great. People are not coming up with "excuses" they are trying to come up with reasons and explanations.

For the record, I posted this way back earlier in this thread a fairly low opening estimate and was criticized soundly by people on here for being way low, and it turns out I was actually overly optimistic. But the clearest reason for these lowish figures is the current music market. Sales have dropped about 30% since COADF came out. Selling 300k today is the equivalent of selling about 430k in 2005.

Guest socalboy1984
Jesus Christ. Shut up, please. You know how many times you've said "I'll leave it at that" and then you keep on posting your bitchy, negative drivel?

Who is celebrating? You are the most negative person I have ever encountered on this board. All you do is post misinformed opinions on how awful things are doing.

No one is claiming this is great. People are not coming up with "excuses" they are trying to come up with reasons and explanations.

For the record, I posted this way back earlier in this thread a fairly low opening estimate and was criticized soundly by people on here for being way low, and it turns out I was actually overly optimistic. But the clearest reason for these lowish figures is the current music market. Sales have dropped about 30% since COADF came out. Selling 300k today is the equivalent of selling about 430k in 2005.

Thank you, BadRobot. It's hard to reason with people like that. They need some sort of sedative to keep emotions in check, especially over such trivial matters. We all love Madonna and like to see her succeed but no need to throw a bitch-fest over sales numbers.

Anyhow, point of this post is digital sales are not accounted for in the HITS estimate. Case in point. HITS has Flight of Concords at #4 but in Billboard's final album tally, it's #3 (ABOVE Ashlee Simpson). Madonna is doing very well in digital sales front. I think she'll actually exceed 300k on the final album chart.

:thumbsup:

You know how many times you've said "I'll leave it at that" and then you keep on posting your bitchy, negative drivel?

LOL! This is the funniest thing I have read all day! So true. :lmao:

Guest Bad Robot

HDD counts digital as well.

They just have a different list of stores that report than Soundscan. There are often discrepancies by as much as 10% or so.

Guest fighting_spirit

So it's selling EXACTLY as I expected.

I don't feel disappointed so far but sometimes estimated sales are off (Mariah was estimated to sell 600k and it sold over 100k less) and I hope that won't be the case this time. If HC sells 180-200K that would be quite a disappointment.

If HC sells 180-200K that would be quite a disappointment.

I think we'll need to start bringing in the paramedics! The floor of this forum will be absolutely slippery with blood of slashed wrists. :drama:

Guest fighting_spirit
I think we'll need to start bringing in the paramedics! The floor of this forum will be absolutely slippery with blood of slashed wrists. :drama:

:lol:

HDD projecting 275-300 based on one days

Yikes, I was right! I predicted 280k!

well, look on the bright side...

it will top AMERICAN LIFE's opening sales, and that was released in a better sales climate and around the same time of the year... :chuckle:

anyways, #1 is good enough and 300k is a respectable debut (i was rooting for 375k)

and if comparing this to MooMoo's album in inevitable, please bear in mind the TONS of promo she did before the album release... she actually promoted it like hell an entire month before the release... so again, the 463k debut was well-deserved... so for M, the 275k-300k debut is well-deserved also (all the pun definitely intended)

i'll still wait until the final numbers are out next week, the concert mileage may still do wonders and add some more sales...

Well yes... I don't know :confused: Do some promo Madge....! msn.com promotes the concert now

brilliant... they promote it 8 hrs before it happens, a lot of good that'll do... UGH!!!

and they can't even put it on a BANNER HEADLINE...

the LIVE EARTH show featuring MADONNA was promoted like weeks in the MSN frontpage before it actually happened...

HDD counts digital as well.

They just have a different list of stores that report than Soundscan. There are often discrepancies by as much as 10% or so.

wow, so iTunes also give out their 1st day sales huh... we'll see next week when the final numbers are out...

i am crossing my fingers for a 300k+ debut

How much did Disciplined debut with?

Her final studio album for the Bunny, Hard Candy, is on track to sell between 275-300k, which will handily end Mariah Carey’s two-week reign with E=MC2, according to one-day sale reports from those retailers still standing around this great country of ours.

Welp, it's not gonna outsell COADF in the U.S. :(

Disappointing but I imagine that is to be expected. Tame promotional campaign.

I hope it crosses 1 million copies in the U.S.

Let's face it, the music business has changed. Album sales are down and the price per CD is down while production, promotion & distribution costs are up. How much can an artist really make when a CD sells for $10 . Album sales may not be that important anymore to concert giants like Madonna. Even if she appeared on Oprah and American Idol, that would have added maybe another 100,000 to her sales. In terms of dollar amounts, that's probably just another $200,000 to Madonna's pocket. She probably earns that for singing two songs in every show. You can't compare her to Mariah cuz Mariah's whole career (hell, her whole life) depends on album sales and the charts. She really has nothing else going for her. Madonna has so much more going for her, in her career and private life. That said, 300,000 is pretty good in today's market. Plus she is stronger than anyone else in worldwide sales. I don't think Madonna will be disappointed with this.

240,000 - 275,00

I wasn't that far off :vogue:

I don't see anything wrong with her opening numbers. So she will sell 50000 less in her first week then with Confessions, big deal.

I don't think people realize how HUGE Hung Up was all over the world including US. I'd be impressed if her sales are 700000 in the first week worldwide.

I don't think people realize how HUGE Hung Up was all over the world including US.

it wasn't... 700k would be a very modest estimate...

275k-300k - US

150-200k - UK

70k-80k - JAPAN

that's already 500k-580k alone from those 3 countries... big markets like GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY, SPAIN still not included... and we know the situation is there... two HCs mostly in TOP 5 albums... she'll easily do 850k the least...

Let's face it, the music business has changed. Album sales are down and the price per CD is down while production, promotion & distribution costs are up. How much can an artist really make when a CD sells for $10 . Album sales may not be that important anymore to concert giants like Madonna. Even if she appeared on Oprah and American Idol, that would have added maybe another 100,000 to her sales. In terms of dollar amounts, that's probably just another $200,000 to Madonna's pocket. She probably earns that for singing two songs in every show. You can't compare her to Mariah cuz Mariah's whole career (hell, her whole life) depends on album sales and the charts. She really has nothing else going for her. Madonna has so much more going for her, in her career and private life. That said, 300,000 is pretty good in today's market. Plus she is stronger than anyone else in worldwide sales. I don't think Madonna will be disappointed with this.

Good post!

Guest Bad Robot

Nobody makes money from selling albums/singles.

Just in my own brief, tiny music career, I've made more money from a handful of shows than I've made from all my CD sales. I think it's even more extreme for bigger artists. Record sales probably count for less than 10% of their income.

I wasn't that far off :vogue:

I don't see anything wrong with her opening numbers. So she will sell 50000 less in her first week then with Confessions, big deal.

I don't think people realize how HUGE Hung Up was all over the world including US. I'd be impressed if her sales are 700000 in the first week worldwide.

Yeah, I think some people here didn't really appreciate how big COADF was for Madonna, even in the US. It was a big comercial and critical success even without a big radio hit. There is no way on earth Hard Candy will match COADF's opening numbers and it doesn't have to in order to be considered successful.

HC is a great follow up to COADF. The first single is a big top-3 hit so far and first week sales of almost 300K are very-very respectable and within the expected range. Some TV appearances would have added about 50K more in my opinion which would be nice but not a big deal. Madonna is a veteran act. She is not above Oprah and AI but at the same time she doesn't need them to continue her legacy.

Worldwide first week sales of about 700K would be great too.