UK Charts - Nov 18 - Midweeks

markm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071112...-5a7c575_1.html

Press Assoc. - Monday, November 12 05:11 pmLeona Lewis is outselling the Spice Girls by four to one on the first day of their album chart battle - and challenging for the fastest-selling UK debut of all time.

(Advertisement)

Copies of her album, Spirit, are flying off the shelves across the UK. The X Factor winner is on course to sell around 100,000 copies by Monday's end, according to industry estimates.

The Spice Girls are managing just a quarter of that figure with their Greatest Hits.

At HMV stores, Lewis is outselling the rest of the top 10 combined. If sales continue at this rate, she is on target to shift around 350,000 copies by the end of the week. That will put her within touching distance of the record for a UK debut.

Arctic Monkeys currently hold that record with Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, which sold 363,735 copies in its first week of release in January 2006.

The other big release of the week, Led Zeppelin's Mothership, is at number four, behind Celine Dion's Taking Chances.

Lewis, 22, winner of last year's X Factor, is already celebrating after her single, Bleeding Love, became the biggest selling song of the year on Sunday. It has sold 111,978 copies over the last seven days.

HMV's Gennaro Castaldo said: "Leona's success is all the more remarkable as this is a huge week for Christmas releases, with heavyweight albums from the likes of the Spice Girls, Led Zeppelin and Celine Dion.

"There has been a growing feeling over the past few weeks that this album would be huge, particularly following the success of Bleeding Love and the impact of Leona's appearance on X Factor. But, if anything, Spirit may even go on to exceed these high expectations.

"Who could have predicted Leona would have come back from her year away in such dramatic style - that's' some superstar makeover she's been through!"

Why the nastiness? Surely everyone deserves to be successful in their chosen field? For everyone who hates the Spice Girls, there's someone who loves them (sounds like another artist we all know...!), so why try to deliberately insult and upset people?

Why the nastiness? Surely everyone deserves to be successful in their chosen field? For everyone who hates the Spice Girls, there's someone who loves them (sounds like another artist we all know...!), so why try to deliberately insult and upset people?

Because they're shit? :demonic:

Leona's album is one of the worst I've heard this year. It sounds like a typical Simon Cowell album.

Chuck in Westlife and you have possibly the worst top 3 in the album chart in memory.

From http://www.heatworld.com:

Leona is outselling Kylie AND the Spice Girls!

Leona Lewis must be feeling pretty frickin’ good about her career right now. heatworld's been looking at the midweek charts, and The X Factor winner is currently riding high at the top of both the single and album charts, ahead of pop legends such as Kylie and the Spice Girls. Leona’s single Bleeding Love has been at Number One for three weeks already, but she’s still sold nearly 14,000 more copies than Kylie’s new track 2 Hearts, which was released yesterday. Leona’s also making easy work of the Spice Girls. Both acts released albums yesterday, but so far Leona has sold nearly 100,000 more copies of her album than the Spices’ Greatest Hits collection. In fact, by last night the album had sold well over 130,000 copies – as much as the rest of the top ten albums combined. In light of this, it's now on course to smash the UK record for the fastest-ever selling debut album – currently held by the Arctic Monkeys, who sold 363,735 copies of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not in January 2006. She might not be the most interesting pop star ever invented, but at least it proves you don’t need a cheesy TV special or a Tesco advert if you’ve got real talent. You go, Leona! :chuckle:

Guest Glamorama

She might not be the most interesting pop star ever invented, but at least it proves you don’t need a cheesy TV special or a Tesco advert if you’ve got real talent.

But this is her 1st album after winning X Factor which is released in the middle of the X Factor 2007 buzz.

She's got a good voice for certain but it's not just talent that's got her those sales.

Guest SuperPop

Leona's album set for sales record

(Tuesday November 13, 2007 12:40 AM)

Leona Lewis's debut album is on course to smash the record for the fastest-selling UK debut of all time.

Spirit exceeded all expectations by shifting a massive 130,000 copies on its first day of release on Monday, according to midweek chart figures.

Industry experts believe sales may top 400,000 by the end of the week - comfortably beating Arctic Monkeys, who hold the record for fastest UK debut with sales of 363,735.

X Factor winner Leona is trouncing nearest rivals the Spice Girls, who brought out their Greatest Hits album on the same day.

The 22-year-old is already celebrating after her single, Bleeding Love, became the biggest selling song of the year.

The other big album release of the week, Led Zeppelin's Mothership, is currently at number six, behind The Killers, Celine Dion and Westlife.

HMV's Gennaro Castaldo said: "This is proving to be a brilliant week for the UK music industry, with the top 10 albums between them looking likely to sell the best part of a million copies.

"Leona's success in leading this surge is absolutely remarkable. Many of us expected the album to do really well, particularly following the number one success of Bleeding Love and the impact of Leona's appearance on the X Factor a few weeks ago, but very few people would have expected such phenomenal first day sales.

"It's difficult to know quite what's behind this amazing return by Leona, but it's clear that a lot of her loyal X Factor fans have now been joined by a new fan base. It's hard luck on the Spice Girls, who any other week would have had a number one album to cap their own return."

He added: "Aside from breaking the Arctics' record for the fastest-selling debut album, Leona is already looking a safe bet for the Christmas number one, and is very likely to bank more than a million sales before the end of the year. A superstar is born."

www.launch.co.uk

I am really puzzled with the huge success of Leona's album..Bleeding Love is great, but then again there are much better songs that have been released this year (and none of their albums were such a huge success)...even previous reality winner Will Young with his second album 'Friday's Child' which had the mega hit 'Leave Right Now', sold on its first week (201.000) half of Leona's projected sales..and back then in 2004 sales were much higher...

There hasn't been a British singer with a voice like Leona in recent times. It's as simple as that. People are captivated by her voice. It's not for nothing that the commercial for the album beings with 'One Voice' (or whatever it is) written on the screen.

Just FOR THE RECORD :doofus:

Singles

1 24146 -31.7 BLEEDING LOVE LEONA LEWIS

2 10917 440 2 HEARTS KYLIE MINOGUE

3 9852 -21.6 RULE THE WORLD TAKE THAT

4 8769 -4.2 APOLOGIZE TIMBALAND PTS ONE REPUBLIC

5 8042 -20.9 VALERIE MARK RONSON FT AMY WINEHOUSE

Albums

1 Leona the Lewis 122k

2 Spice Girls 22.5k

3 Westlife 19.4k

4 Celine 17.3k

5 Killers 16.5k

Top 10

Led Zeppelin

Andrea Boccelli

Cliff Richard

Top 20

David Gray

Craig David

Leona Lewis looks set to break chart records this Sunday, with early sales reports suggesting that her debut album Spirit (Syco) will record the highest first-week sales of a debut album by a solo artist in the UK.

The album sold more than 100,000 copies on its first day of release, making it a near certainty to top the charts this Sunday.

However, if the title keeps its sales momentum, it looks likely to break the 225,000 first-week sales of Craig David’s Born To Do It, which currently holds the record for first-week sales of a debut album by a solo artist.

Spirit also stands a good chance of passing the 228,000 first-week sales of Arctic Monkeys’ Favourite Worst Nightmare (Domino), currently the highest weekly sales of any album in the UK this year.

The success of Spirit comes in a week where the albums chart is dominated by new releases: the Spice Girls’ Greatest Hits (Virgin), Celine Dion’s Taking Chances (Columbia), The Killers’ Sawdust (Vertigo), Led Zeppelin’s Mothership (Rhino), Andrea Bocelli’s Vivere (UCJ) and Cliff Richard’s Love – The Album (EMI) all look set for Top 10 chart entries, in what may prove to be the biggest week for albums sales so far this year.

David Gray’s Greatest Hits (Atlantic) and Craig David’s Trust Me (Warner Bros) look likely to net Top 20 entries.

Underlining Lewis’s chart dominance, the singer’s Bleeding Love looks set to mark another week at the summit of the singles chart, with several tracks from Spirit also set to creep into the lower reaches of the singles chart as individual downloads.

Why can't it make it? Leona is only 4 thousand ahead. I'm not asking this as a Kylie loon, but as a normal person who doesn't understand it.

EDIT. Ooops, i read 20.000 instead of 10.000 hahaha. Now its pretty clear why is it impossible.

Sadly, this song is being a flop!

Take That will pick up sales towards the weekend after people have heard it at the cinema.

Apparently they've been advertising 2 Farts on TV. :lmao:

Oh they haven't resorted to advertsting her SINGLE on TV have they??? :lmao:

Oh dear, oh DEAR!

copies, what as in plural? why?

Oh that reminds me of this loon on saygay who used to go out and buy 100 copies of a Kylie single in week one in a bid to get it to number 1. When Madonna had a single out he'd go out and buy up loads of copies of her closest competition in the hope that it would stop her from getting to number 1. I'm almost tempted to reregister to witness him going BERSERK :lmao:

How strange.

I'd never give more of my money to my favourite singer than I have to. But I guess Kylie needs to make as much as possible from bulk buying fans like this, seems that she doesn't write, produce or even sing on her songs.

As if Kylie loons were the only ones to buy multiple copies...

I bought the cd 1, cd 2 and vinyl from Hollywood in London. And of course i went to different shops, so they were counted as one sell each. And surely mr. Johnnoxx and sir Queenbitch do the same.