Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

Recommended Posts

She's making music that we never imagined she'd do. How can anyone not admire that? 

Batuka is so otherworldly. Futuristic but primal at the same time. That brief ending with the ragged viola is haunting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a grower.......... damn it's so good !
I'm deeply in love with the musical arrangement. And the violin, at the end, is to die for...... :drama:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Batuka is kinda underrated. It's not really catchy and doesn't feature a chorus in the traditional sense but it's a MOOD. The tribal beats are giving me life and MIrwais truly showed how versatile he is here. I adore it! (listen to it loud on headphones...at night...after 2 glasses of wine) :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the production is top-notch; however, I do wonder how it would have sounded without M's over processed vocals. Somehow it's something Björk could have done in Volta.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Batuka is one of my favourites. It's a brilliant and unique song. Love the tribal very experimental vibe. M also revealed a bit more info about Batuka from an NPR interview she gave. Really interesting because it gives even more meaning to the song, both musically and thematically.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/13/731760369/madonna-introduces-madame-x-honesty-is-a-commodity-right-now?t=1560466539292

You have obviously been on a musical journey. Tell me about "Batuka" and how it came about.

Living in Lisbon, going to places where people play music — which is everywhere — I befriended a gentleman named Dino de Santiago. One day, he said, "I've got a surprise for you. You've got to come to this place." It was off the beaten path; it was very bizarre. It had, like, deer antlers on the walls, and I don't really know what it was, it was like a club that nobody went to. But suddenly, it was full of people.

There was a DJ playing for a little while, and suddenly the music stopped, and the crowd parted, and then sitting in a semi-circle were these women called Batuqueros. They're from Cape Verde. And they started playing on these drums called djembe. And they were beating out a triplet rhythm, and singing in Creole call-and-response, and taking turns getting up and doing ritualistic dancing and singing. It blew my mind and really inspired me. And I ended up collaborating with them on my record.

There's something really powerful about women singing together in that way.

Yeah. The first title of this song was "Fernalism," because it was meant to be a feminist manifesto, this song. And I didn't want to say "feminism," because that sounds so conventional or predictable, so I just did a play on words. But then I decided, "Oh, no one's gonna get that either. That's just too abstract." So I called it "Batuka" because that's what it is, that's the style of music that it is. That seemed to work. Created by women, played by women.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, medellin said:

She's making music that we never imagined she'd do. How can anyone not admire that? 

Batuka is so otherworldly. Futuristic but primal at the same time. That brief ending with the ragged viola is haunting. 

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF :thumbsup: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, wash said:

Batuka is one of the most intriguing songs, it's everything i expected when she started talking about experimenting with world music and Mirwais

I hope Madonna sticks with him for another album at least, they have powers together

Mirwais forever!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Batuka is genius. Period. These drums got me shaking

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Geiger83 said:

Batuka is genius. Period. These drums got me shaking

Yes it s a masterpiece

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Love Love and can not wait to see the women on tour with M because we know she is bringing these ladies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the song I'm looking forward to cooking dinner to this evening. Those drums just banging around my kitchen (as you kids would say) ITS GIVING ME LIFE!! :headbang:❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites

This song would win her Album of The Year if sung by a man or some hipster artist.  It’s like nothing she has done before.  Paul Simon/Peter Gabriel vibes but with a Madonna spin.

So authentic, so organic, so real.

I love the Batukadeiras and the chanting.  Big fan of Madonna’s voice here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shane said:

This song would win her Album of The Year if sung by a man or some hipster artist.  It’s like nothing she has done before.  Paul Simon/Peter Gabriel vibes but with a Madonna spin.

So authentic, so organic, so real.

I love the Batukadeiras and the chanting.  Big fan of Madonna’s voice here.

Absolutely agree! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this song will get a video. Do you guys remember a snippet where M dances and falls on the floor with the batukadeiras around her? Please Gawd let it be true!!! The first time I listened to this song I couldn't believe my ears

Edited by Geiger83
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Geiger83 said:

I think this song will get a video. Do you guys remember a snippet where M dances and falls on the floor with the batukadeiras around her? Please Gawd let it be true!!! The first time I listened to this song I couldn't believe my ears

And this.. 

IMG_20190614_100816.jpg

IMG_1119-e1554998708285.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marcelox said:

And this.. 

IMG_20190614_100816.jpg

IMG_1119-e1554998708285.jpg

Exactly!

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Geiger83 said:

I think this song will get a video. Do you guys remember a snippet where M dances and falls on the floor with the batukadeiras around her? Please Gawd let it be true!!! The first time I listened to this song I couldn't believe my ears

She confirmed a video has been filmed for this song in one of the interviews that are coming out 🙂 

GET THAT OLD MAN

PUT HIM IN JAIL

is going to be one satisfying lyric to sing along at the tour in the U.S.!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Phineaspoe said:

She confirmed a video has been filmed for this song in one of the interviews that are coming out 🙂 

GET THAT OLD MAN

PUT HIM IN JAIL

is going to be one satisfying lyric to sing along at the tour in the U.S.!! 

OMG!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...