32 years of ciccone!

GroovyGirl

220px-Everybody_Madonna.png

"Everybody" is a song by American singer-songwriter Madonna from her self-titled debut album. It was released on October 6, 1982, by Sire Records as her debut single. Madonna had recorded a demo of the song with Steve Bray. She urged DJ Mark Kamins, who played at her dance club, to play it. He was impressed by the song and took her to Sire Records, who signed her for a two-song deal. However, after the recording of the two singles was over, Sire executive Michael Rosenblatt was not impressed with the production of the other song and decided to release only "Everybody".

By incorporating R&B infused beats in the music and not including her image on the cover artwork, marketing for the song gave the impression of Madonna as a black artist. That impression did not last long as Madonna would later convince Sire executives to shoot a music video for the song. The low-budget video directed by Ed Steinberg showed Madonna and her friends in a club singing and dancing to the song. The video helped to further promote the song and Madonna as an artist.

Critically, "Everybody" did not receive any acclaim and failed to enter the official Billboard Hot 100 chart. It did, however, appear on thedance charts. The song helped Madonna achieve her first appearance in a dance magazine. She has performed "Everybody" live a number of times. It was first performed during The Virgin Tour, then as the final song of The Girlie Show World Tour and most recently on The MDNA Tour. The song was included in a remixed form on Madonna's 1987 remix album, You Can Dance, and on the deluxe edition of her 2009 compilation album, Celebration.

Commercial performance

The 12-inch single of "Everybody" failed to break into the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. It peaked at seven on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart on December 25, 1982. However the song moved quickly up the dance charts, and was Madonna's first single to chart on the Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play Chart, peaking at number three. One of the first radio stations to embrace the song was WKTU, which reported it as a new "Playlist Top Add On" in the December 11, 1982, issue of Billboard, reflecting their station's playlist for the week ending November 30, 1982. Since its release, the single has sold around 250,000 copies. The song helped Madonna achieve a first magazine cover photograph. In the December issue of Dance Music Report magazine, Madonna and another band Jekyll and Hyde were nominated for awards in the sales category of a reader's poll. It was Madonna's picture that appeared on the cover

congratulations, ciccone. 32 years and counting!

Love this song so much. And it's one of the best single covers in music history! I have it framed in my living room.

I still find the song trendy, hahaha.

I was gonna use that word!

oh i was doubting if using it, because i could feel like a oldfashioned person, thinking that a track from 1982 is trendy, but those synths at the beginning are incredible. Tutututu tutuuuuuu. The beat, the way of singing...

Such a milestone. More she be made of it really! At 35 years they should do a anniversary or something. Just think. My mother was about 4 months pregnant with me at this time. I literally grew up with madonna!

And talk about trendy.

This performance, the nerd pants, the glasses of the dancer, her way of moving ...

Fabulous performance for a fabulous song !

To think that she went from that kind of setting to performing in stadiums worldwide

Her magnetism with the crowds earned her that transition and her MTV savvy sealed the deal

The fact that she had and has an ability to craft great pop songs is of no small significance of course

The first star to truly have it all, the first and the last

Great thread GroovyGirl !!! *Riding the Ciccone train for the next 32*

Guest Pud Whacker

And talk about trendy. This performance, the nerd pants, the glasses of the dancer, her way of moving...

just marvelous!

Something that i love about Madonna is that no matter how big the stage is, she's always the same powerful force! She uses backscreens and loads of dancers now, but if something happened and she had to go out to the stage alone, she could do a whole concert and people would be equally mesmerized!

Flop fan question: why haven't those basement tapes ever surfaced? I love those early Madonna concerts, and that tape is wonderful, but i've only seen those clips from that tv program, never the whole tape. Is it because is in hands of greedy collectors, or is it that there are only little clips?

Flop fan question: why haven't those basement tapes ever surfaced? I love those early Madonna concerts, and that tape is wonderful, but i've only seen those clips from that tv program, never the whole tape. Is it because is in hands of greedy collectors, or is it that there are only little clips?