David LaChapelle Explains Why He Didn't Direct The Video For 'Hung Up'

frzndrwnwrld

You know, I gotta thank her because honestly I’ve never said no to a job before. We were in pre-production for the video ‘Hung Up’ when she was screaming at me. (…) I had just finished the documentary Rise and I had really worked so hard. That film opened theatrically all over the world and I had just come from that junket. I was tired. I wanted all my life to do a Madonna video. When she was screaming at me on the phone, I couldn’t take it. (…)

The song was good and everything was in place. We were doing the job and I remember that being so mean. The shoots were always so stressful with her, when we did photo shoots. I thought God I can’t go through this. I just hung up the phone. I got very quiet because she was yelling at me. I put the phone down. I hung it up. It was a cellphone actually. My agent was sitting beside me and you know, Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone? She’s like ‘You hung up on Madonna?’ and the funny thing was the song was ‘Hung Up’.

I’m not here to judge her. Everything in life is a lesson to me. That’s how I look at it. Honestly, it was the first time I said no. She gave me a gift, in a sense, because from that moment on I realized I didn’t have to do everything. I was working all my life out of fear because I didn’t finish high school. I didn’t have a diploma. My mom said I was going to be homeless when I was a kid and I believed her. I thought so too.

I finally said no and nothing bad happened. So I started saying no more and more which led me to stopping all together working for magazines and celebrities. I still shoot celebrities, but it’s rare. When it happens is for a reason. Right now I’m focusing on the fine art work. In a way, Madonna, that experience with her was kind of a catalyst. So I should be grateful.

http://www.queerty.com/heres-the-real-reason-david-lachapelle-will-never-work-with-madonna-again-20140815

David-LaChapelle.jpg

So basically his entire life and career are now defined by his association with Madonna. He sounds like a typical self-destructive addict. No wonder Madonna was screaming at him down the phone, he was probably being very unprofessional. Ultimately, she made the video that was made to be for "Hung Up" and it was a smash hit. He can scream about the fact that he hung up on her till the cows come home but no one will care about that. The world will remember the iconic "Hung Up" video for what it was; and when the history books are written, if there is a footnote that mentions this nobody, it will be because he was associated at some point with Madonna.

He obviously was or is on drugs, but whatever. it is a kind of a shame because their photo session during the Ray of Light era was brilliant she doesn't really "need" him.

dredging up something from years ago. must be a slow news day!

there's got to be more to it than what he's told us. nobody just "screams" like that. she would just accept that he's tired and find somebody else to work with. there's a big AS IF over this story. as with every news story, a bit of notoriety gets people intrigued. nobody wants to hear that just hung up the phone to work with somebody else. some idiots out there will believe this though. scandal always sells.

Also if I remember correctly, she didn't like his treatment of the video anyway. If I recall he wanted to shoot it documentary style, basically playing the song on the street with people dancing and reacting to it and then Madonna pops up out of nowhere & they film people's reaction to her.

it is mildly interesting but the novelty of it wears off quickly too. the Hung Up video she went with is probably better anyway so no loss.

Oh it was ssssooooo stressful. Whimpering little toad, Fuck him.

If she was screaming at him it's cos he fucked something up obviously.

And the reason he's not working with anyone of note anymore is no doubt BECAUSE he hung up on Madonna, certainly not his "choice".

Not that she needs defending but she also was still injured during this time from her horse riding accident, maybe she was stressed. His video efforts are eh,

I think she didnt like his idea for the video and he is trying to save face, making it seem like he refused her. who cares? she has better things in front of her with a new album coming soon.

Ok David, ok....

Remember, there's always more than one side to a story.

Something tells me he was the one not being very professional, wasn't able to handle Madonna's level of perfectionism/energy/etc., and was expecting an easier ride... we all know Ms. Ciccone does NOT work that way.

Something tells me he's just not strong enough to work for Madonna.

once AGAIN its madonna being the bitch and not the boss

what he left out is WHAT DID HE DO WRONG OR WHAT WAS HIS SHORTCOMING as a director?

do male stars get this many people pissed at them, talking shit, and crying about it after the fact?

I remember this story...

And I coulda sworn LaShitelle said M was too old to wear a leotard, and that's why she screamed....

I'm happy he didn't direct it. I like the foggy dull color scheme of the video. His would have been highly saturated, I can't picture that for such a throwback of a song.

It's a shame because I love he's work, but the video is awsome the way it is. In may I came across a book of his photography, and he really is talented. I regret not buying it (no M pics were included tho)

OH STFU already, David LaChapelle. It says a lot about the brevity of your work when you refer to that experience with Madonna as an awakening in your career. It's not like you were her favored photographer. You only worked on a few sessions, geez. If this were Herb Ritts or Meisel or even Testino, I'd have more empathy. Loser.

I think its funny that he said "all the shoots with her were stressful." when the did a whopping 2 shoots. Rolling Stone and the MTV ad. Thats it.

As I've said before, he was tired in '95 and tired in '05. He should thank madonna for putting him to bed, cuz he tired.

I think its funny that he said "all the shoots with her were stressful." when the did a whopping 2 shoots. Rolling Stone and the MTV ad. Thats it.

As I've said before, he was tired in '95 and tired in '05. He should thank madonna for putting him to bed, cuz he tired.

:laugh:

Yeah, we know she was under a lot of stress at the time, because she was recovering from her injury. But it's remarkable in the behind-the-scenes footage (for the actual 'making of') how relaxed she seemed, and in good humor. I remember a portion where she's in the leotard and saying how she's still on the pain medication and she can't lift one of her arms above her shoulder. But she wasn't angry or b!tching at the crew or other dancers or anything. She seemed like she had a good time making the video. It might not have been that way with another director. The result turned out well.

I am a little tired of hearing the same story retold -- this is the longest form of it I've seen/heard yet. How nice of him to be circumspect and enlightened about it all, but ... yes, Madonna wouldn't have been yelling for no reason. He obviously did or said something to set her off. If he told her she was 'too old' to wear a leotard, she should have hung up ON HIM.