Erotica Among NME (Readers') 50 Most Mind-Blowing Albums

jonski43

Yeah, I think "Erotica" is one of her best albums and deserves to be recognized.

I have some friends that are not Madonna fans. They respect her because she's a myth, an icon but, when you talk to them about "Erotica" they only pay attention to the "Sex" book and they think that the álbum is one of her worst.

Some months ago a friend asked me to make him a compilation with songs that were not singles and that I think were her best. I gave him a list and the songs that he liked the most were from "Erotica". When he asked me and I told him that they were included in that álbum he said "Wow, I thought it was a bad álbum. I only remember the commotion with "Sex" and the video of "Erotica". He downloaded the full álbum and he was very impress. Now he can't understand why an álbum like that was so underrated. I think if "Sex" was released at the end of the promotion people would had paid attention to the music. That's why "Erotica" is always forgotten, because people only paid attention to "Sex" and forgot what Madonna does best... Music.

I agree with NME that the album is "mind blowing". M was interesting before Erotica, but she really put herself out there with the album & it felt at the time she was leaving the eighties behind her. The album is definitely one of her most influential for fans even though it might not be reported like that by the critics.

Well, it's a readers list:

We asked NME readers to tell us about the albums that've changed your lives and, judging by the thousands of responses, the power of music is pretty potent. We've collected 50 of your suggestions

I can't believe how overrated this album is. Wow.

um excuse you fuck off and rain on some other parade.

Erotica stands, 22 years later, as a testament to M's power as a pop culture icon, a musician, a lyricist, a visual artist and visionary on multiple levels.

Well obviously.

It is THE PEAK of Madonna's musical creativity. There's is nothing like it; sexy spoken-word vocals over jazzy hip hop beats. The instrumentals, the lyrics, the imagery, THE WHOLE PACKAGE. Dita really was ahead of her time.

As mentioned, this is a readers' list, so not really an ACCLAIMED list. :)

How could LAP and ROL be overrated when they are best albums? Erotica was a brave and brazen album, and I appreciate it and its intent- but it's not a patch on those two recordings (and some other M albums).

Well obviously.

It is THE PEAK of Madonna's musical creativity. There's is nothing like it; sexy spoken-word vocals over jazzy hip hop beats. The instrumentals, the lyrics, the imagery, THE WHOLE PACKAGE. Dita really was ahead of her time.

Thank you.

I am excited that Erotica is being called out as a mind blowing album. LAP and ROL tend to get all the attention and for good reason as they are amazing as well but this album often gets lost in the shuffle and the hysteria surrounding the SEX book which is a shame because it is equally if not more amazing than those albums-ahead of it's time.

LAP & ROL are overrated yes.

cackles.gif

At least she was singing aout stuff that really mattered. *listens to Nothing Really Matters*

As mentioned, this is a readers' list, so not really an ACCLAIMED list. :)

How could LAP and ROL be overrated when they are best albums? Erotica was a brave and brazen album, and I appreciate it and its intent- but it's not a patch on those two recordings (and some other M albums).

Exactly. I feel people are getting so overly defensive when someone criticizes Erotica, because you know...it's Erotica. People hated on it for a long time, called it was her "flop" album and what not. But let's be real...compare every single song off that album to every other song Madonna has done over the past 30 years and you'll realize that it really isn't as good as people say it is.

She literally talks about sex throughout the whole album over some random-ass house or jazz beats and all of that just to be provocative. This was her most attention-seeking album. I mean, I dearly love Madonna and I DO love Erotica and think it has a lot of great great tracks, but it pales when compared to some of Madonna's other stuff in terms of production, lyrical content and so on...I also think it really hasn't aged well at all, most of the songs sound very dated and I mean, that's okay, because it's an album from the early nineties, but if you compare it to Bedtime Stories, for example. You quickly realize that Bedtime Stories is much more of a timeless album with songs that still sound fresh and not dated at all.

Erotica is a great record and so are all most of Madonna's album, well I actually love all of them to an extent. There isn't really an album that I hate. BUT it's definitely not her best album, in my opinion and I'm kind of getting annoyed by people thinking they have to praise it to death just because it didn't get the love it deserved at the time of it's relaese.

I've read before that erotica is snow undiscovered classic in the music press. Sex really did overshadow a great album.

Personally, I prefer it to ROL which just descends into repetitive orbit synths .