Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

In early 1990, it was time to promote Dick Tracy and what better image to do so with than a match of her appearance in the film? Unfortunately, the poor dear initially had trouble achieving platinum. This brassy look was masked by the black and white film used for the "Vogue" video, but was featured in full living color as a Vanity Fair cover shoot.

Wonderful posts, Mattress! Thank you! The bold line above, alone, made my day.

I remember at the time thinking, "why is her hair orange"? LOL

You need to think about writing a book on Madonna. Nothing fancy, just an information resource type of reference book for us fans.

You give so much already!!!

First and foremost, Mattress, thank you. You've outdone yourself, and that's saying a lot, because you consistently bring so much information and insight to the table. Much appreciated as we celebrate the LAP anniversary. You've helped make the celebration worthy of the album, as it deserves.

Then she went dark and slick for a look captured in photo shoots used by Cosmopolitan and Interview magazines, on the "Keep It Together" single sleeve, in the Blond Ambition tour book and, most famously, all up and through The Immaculate Collection...

1989HAIR06.png1989HAIR07.png

there is just something magical and mysterious of those 1989 Herb Ritts photos with her dark hair. so beautiful

So ... I am curious -- does anyone know how long she kept the bob (on the left above) before she cut it even shorter to the pixie-like length (on the right above)? Both are represented in Herb's photos. The bob was for Broadway, I know... I like both. Just wondering -- it seems like it was a relatively short amount of time for both cuts before she went back to blonde. (I remember when you posted this history before, Mattress -- it was really helpful to get all that chronology in the correct order. That was really a complicated time for her hair! Haha!)

Every time I see these Ritts pics (with the dark hair), I always think how easily she could have been Velma Kelly in Chicago. >sigh< I know -- I won't even go on about it in this thread, but ... truly one of the saddest missed opportunities in film. Not that I would have ever wanted less music from her, and perhaps more film success would have decreased her musical output. But I think she is so great for musical films, it's such a shame that one was made without her. (And, essentially, that would have been made instead of TNBT or Swept Away -- so either way, she made a film or two.) Oh well.

Back to LAP -- YAY! So much love!

rexfeatures_157509e.jpg

Beautiful photo Scrapple. Just like she did with Live to tell from True Blue, she completely changed her whole look and image for the first single from Like a Prayer. The dark curly hair and slip dress was a fantastic departure and gorgeous feminine look.

Mattress, Warner should employ you to oversee any future Madonna compilations or remasters! What an amazing collection, and all beautifully scanned and photographed.

I enjoyed the hair history - people forget that Madonna's hair was blonde by the time the album was released, and it's funny to see the brassy mess that it really was for the Vogue video, when the black and white footage looks so perfect and glamorous.

wow this thread has been amazing. i learned so much! damn i wish i was around these times :( what an iconic time for Madonna, all her looks are fantastic. I've enjoyed playing the shit out of Like a Prayer over the last few days. I've listened to Oh Father about 20 times :lol:

she is so beautiful, talented, smart, mysterious etc. no one in the world like her. thank you to everyone for posting all this awesome stuff. <3

I need to join the chorus of praise for Mattress - thank you!! :thumbsup:

I was 16 when LAP was released and it was a truly amazing era to live through. I think it's difficult to fully appreciate just how massive Madonna was at the time unless you were there (I mean no disrespect to the younger fans - I know Carley undestands exactly what I mean, given her post above!). Had it been the era of digital downloads and streaming etc. etc., the single would have been #1 for months and been certified 10xPlatinum in the US (streaming and sales combined), such was its impact. Like everyone else in this thread, I've listened to the album multiple times recently and it still resonates just as strongly with me as a middle-aged man as it did with the young, naive kid I was 25 years ago. Thank God for that!

No other artist comes close to moving me as much as Madonna has since the first day I heard her music when I was 11. Words can't express how grateful I am for her existence.

wow this thread has been amazing. i learned so much! damn i wish i was around these times :( what an iconic time for Madonna, all her looks are fantastic. I've enjoyed playing the shit out of Like a Prayer over the last few days. I've listened to Oh Father about 20 times :lol:

she is so beautiful, talented, smart, mysterious etc. no one in the world like her. thank you to everyone for posting all this awesome stuff. <3

Aww Carly, it is so great to see wonderful young people like you not only loving Madonna but happy to listen and appreciate the iconic albums from her past. It is a testament to Madonna that she can still attract such young and vibrant fans.

I need to join the chorus of praise for Mattress - thank you!! :thumbsup:

I was 16 when LAP was released and it was a truly amazing era to live through. I think it's difficult to fully appreciate just how massive Madonna was at the time unless you were there (I mean no disrespect to the younger fans - I know Carley undestands exactly what I mean, given her post above!). Had it been the era of digital downloads and streaming etc. etc., the single would have been #1 for months and been certified 10xPlatinum in the US (streaming and sales combined), such was its impact. Like everyone else in this thread, I've listened to the album multiple times recently and it still resonates just as strongly with me as a middle-aged man as it did with the young, naive kid I was 25 years ago. Thank God for that!

No other artist comes close to moving me as much as Madonna has since the first day I heard her music when I was 11. Words can't express how grateful I am for her existence.

Carta, it is amazing to think that Like A Prayer is 25 years old. How great it is that so many fans of so many ages are on this forum. I have the same thoughts as you about Madonna - no other music artist has reached me in the same way. Madonna is the ultimate in music superstars and has been for 30 years.