Do you LOVE the song "Material Girl"?

Crystal Coffin

I always enjoy listening to "Material Girl" and think how different she sounded back then, especially on this track. There is no way she could pull off a track like this these days. It was perfect timing that she got this song handed to her. I think Madonna has a love/hate relationship with it since people tend to twist the meaning of the song around on her. This songs definitely shows the growth in Madonna music and vocals as her career went on.

Well, the song was written with her in mind, not just handed to her like some other pop tarts.

Will she perform it again, or was RIT its last hurrah? :)

she performed parts of this during mdna tour, during girl gone wild.

HOW DID THIS THREAD SINK TO PAGE 2?

Some consider Material Girl her signature song, understandably so! It's a jam in every sense of the word. The beat is funky as hell, her vocals are smooOOOooth, the lyrics are cute, the video is flawless... its really the perfect pop tune! "You knowwwww that we are liiiiiiiiiVING INNA MUH-TERIAL WHIRL..." -She sounds particularly fabulous as fuck in this live performance:

:rotfl: @ 2:26 onward. "ISN'T THAT RITE LADIESSSSSS!? AH! AH!"

"Take it! It's been nothing but trouble!"

is this how the concert always ended, with a "dad" wisking her off stage. or was that just done for Michigan?

It was like a two second sample...????

it was short but still performed. i loved it in the mashup. not sure how i feel about it being sung in full by madonna again though.

I absolutely love this song. It is different, insanely catchy and I love the message of it. It always amazes me that people do not get the irony of both the song and the video. Talking about the video - pure magic. Madonna is the only star I know that could take on Marilyn Monroe's look from Gentlemen prefer blondes and be just as beautiful and sexy. Having a different hair-style helped give her a different look too. Easily one of the best songs of the 80's.

madonna-material-girl.jpg

She kinda made it her own..pretty impressive since Marilyn was so huge.

Material Girl was the Madonna song that made me a superfan as a kid. I remember buying the 45 single with my mother at the store. I would make a dance routine to it in our basement.

I was about 5 years old.