Madonna prepares for new album?

Guest dicktracy

still most ballads flop nowadays..the most recent example is Rihanna (and RR is a truly great song)..its common sense that dance music is the most popular genre..see BEP, Guetta and Gaga (she is not pure dance..but she could definitely be considered pop/dance)..and their albums did very well considering the general climate in the music industry..

You guys are toooo focused on the US charts

GaGa is not dance... I don't know what's up with Americans calling her music dance? It's danceable urban-Pop... Rihanna and Britney has been doing that for a long time now... GaGa just got her own sound which is by now already old

Guetta is dance though... but again he is just a singles artist... is that what you want Madonna to be?

If Madonna does a song like "I Gotta Feeling" i'm officially over as a fan...

Why does she has to copy this and cater to teens?

So now we doesn't expect any quality from Madonna what so ever?

I can't believe Madonna fans is asking for this... wanting her to become some Britney or whatever

You guys are toooo focused on the US charts

GaGa is not dance... I don't know what's up with Americans calling her music dance? It's danceable urban-Pop... Rihanna and Britney has been doing that for a long time now... GaGa just got her own sound which is by now already old

Guetta is dance though... but again he is just a singles artist... is that what you want Madonna to be?

If Madonna does a song like "I Gotta Feeling" i'm officially over as a fan...

Why does she has to copy this and cater to teens?

So now we doesn't expect any quality from Madonna what so ever?

I can't believe Madonna fans is asking for this... wanting her to become some Britney or whatever

That attitude to me is why Madonna can't win. GAGA'S SOUND IS OLD?? It's the hottest sound on the radio right now so it's surely current I suppose. People are SOOOO incredibly ADD these days....lol....it's almost hilarious how something is deemed old once more than 5 people know about it. Christ, Madonna better find her a "myspace producer" online today and do the album tomorrow so it won't be "old" by next week....lol. Guetta is NOT a household name amongst your average music listening public like Timbo and Pharrell were when Madonna hooked up with them. Again, I think Madonna can bring enough of herself into the project with Guetta that it won't be IGF part 2. I think in many ways 2009 could be considered Guetta's "breakthrough" year as a producer as it's the first year he has had MASSIVE success with a song. But he's already old and tired and the "breakthrough year" isn't even over yet?? I'm sorry I just can't get down with that mentality. This is the same hyperactive mentality that considers Gaga an icon after an album and 1/2 and Poker Face a "classic" after 6 months, which means she's due for a "comeback" before the end of next year I suppose...lol. You guys make my head spin. :wacko:

And in the US Gaga is most certainly dance. Her sound has a strong urban influence (which is the type of "dance music" you hear in most clubs that aren't gay) PLUS a more conventional "gay" dance sound (for lack of a better phrase) intertwined with it. If that's not "dance" I'm not sure what is??

Bitches I was talking about THE MADONNA BALLAD.

Not Miles Away :manson:

I think we my have gotten the THE MADONNA BALLAD back in 1986 when she unleashed Live To Tell on the world. If she hasn't beat that MADONNA BALLAD yet I doubt she ever will! :(

Guest Borderline

That attitude to me is why Madonna can't win. GAGA'S SOUND IS OLD?? It's the hottest sound on the radio right now so it's surely current I suppose. People are SOOOO incredibly ADD these days....lol....it's almost hilarious how something is deemed old once more than 5 people know about it. Christ, Madonna better find her a "myspace producer" online today and do the album tomorrow so it won't be "old" by next week....lol. Guetta is NOT a household name amongst your average music listening public like Timbo and Pharrell were when Madonna hooked up with them. Again, I think Madonna can bring enough of herself into the project with Guetta that it won't be IGF part 2. I think in many ways 2009 could be considered Guetta's "breakthrough" year as a producer as it's the first year he has had MASSIVE success with a song. But he's already old and tired and the "breakthrough year" isn't even over yet?? I'm sorry I just can't get down with that mentality. This is the same hyperactive mentality that considers Gaga an icon after an album and 1/2 and Poker Face a "classic" after 6 months, which means she's due for a "comeback" before the end of next year I suppose...lol. You guys make my head spin. :wacko:

And in the US Gaga is most certainly dance. Her sound has a strong urban influence (which is the type of "dance music" you hear in most clubs that aren't gay) PLUS a more conventional "gay" dance sound (for lack of a better phrase) intertwined with it. If that's not "dance" I'm not sure what is??

you always hit it right on the head!!! :thumbsup:

In US everything that you can dance to is considered "dance", well not here... but we don't have to dig deeper into these differences...

So your suggestion is that Madonna should turn into some GaGa/Britney type?

Well that's your opinion. Personally I just find it tragic that Madonna needs to do this. It's the same lady that gave us ROL for instance... and now people want her to work with the hottest fluff producers at the moment... so sad

Guetta will be just like Timbo in a year or something... and by the time Madonna will release her album it'll be all old.

This type of music is so short-lived, that's why GaGa together with RedOne is already starting copying their previous work.

I can't believe Madonna fans are asking for an album full of fluff of the yesterday's hottest producer... it's almost disturbing...

I think we my have gotten the THE MADONNA BALLAD back in 1986 when she unleashed Live To Tell on the world. If she hasn't beat that MADONNA BALLAD yet I doubt she ever will! :(

Madonna had plenty of great ballads throughout the years...

Miles Away is just trash though...

I think Madonna needs a new direction too. Revolver has left a bad taste in my mouth :( I know it's a just a GH but who cares? Even if it was for a f*cking Christmas song i want more effort...it all sounds so B Madonna. I want her A game on her next studio album with a fresh sound and some great lyrics.

Just cause all the money is in touring now a days doesn't mean your art should suffer sorry.

In US everything that you can dance to is considered "dance", well not here... but we don't have to dig deeper into these differences...

So your suggestion is that Madonna should turn into some GaGa/Britney type?

Well that's your opinion. Personally I just find it tragic that Madonna needs to do this. It's the same lady that gave us ROL for instance... and now people want her to work with the hottest fluff producers at the moment... so sad

Guetta will be just like Timbo in a year or something... and by the time Madonna will release her album it'll be all old.

This type of music is so short-lived, that's why GaGa together with RedOne is already starting copying their previous work.

I can't believe Madonna fans are asking for an album full of fluff of the yesterday's hottest producer... it's almost disturbing...

Why does working with a "hot" or well known producer automatically = fluff?? Seems we are placing the cart before the horse a bit here. Madonna's past history of working with "hot producers" in no way reflects a decrease in quality of the music. My suggestion is defnintely NOT for Madonna to turn into a Gaga/Britney and the closest she's come to that IMO is Revolver (and I don't hate that...uninspired certainly...but catchy as hell) and I wouldn't want a whole album of Revolver's, nor do I think Madonna would make a full album like that. HC wasn't like that, sorry that's my opinion. Madonna's handprint was all over that album just like all her others. The popular opinion (here anyways)....which to me isn't an opinion but a misconception....is that HC is a duplication of Gwen Stefani and Nelly Furtado etc. I've asked SOOOO many times for people to match a HC song to the Gwen, Nelly etc song that it's copying but nobody ever can because it's impossible for them to do so. DWRY is pretty obviously heavily influenced by Cry Me A River and the songs DO have the Timbo Pharrell "flava" (why else would she work with them if she didn't want that sound?) but there was enough of her to give it the feeling of a Madonna album....at least for me.

IMO the newer generation of M fans just haven't seen Madonna work with hot producers much. This is nothing new though and we've discussed this to death in the forum in recent months. The thing is most of the people who have this issue were either not alive or not old enough to remember while it was actually happening that:

Madonna-- featured Reggie Lucas who had produced hits for some of the biggest R&B artists of the day like Roberta Flack, Stephanie Mills, Jennifer Holliday and Phyllis Hyman before ever hooking up with Madonna.

Like A Virgin-- featured Nile Rodgers (not to mention ALL of Chic minus the girls) who had JUST produced David Bowie's biggest hit ever and was hot on the heels of producing perhaps the hottest (certainly one of) bands of the day, Duran Duran.

True Blue/LAP-- All I can really say here is that Pat became a well known producer because of his work with Madonna. However, let's not forget the whole reason she wanted to hook up with him to begin with on the Virgin Tour is because of his work with the Jacksons on their previous tour. Now do any of us REALLY think that she would've given a fuck about Pat Leonard if he had just wrapped up a tour with the Osmonds?? :zombie:

Erotica-- No doubt Madonna raised his profile more than anyone else but by the time they hooked up for this album he had mixed for everybody under the sun from Janet, Whitney, Cyndi....even Phil Collins. Not to mention producing the instant "Madonna classic" Vogue. Yet to many fans he topped himself with his work on Erotica.

Bedtime Stories-- OMG...Austin, FACE, Nellee. They had worked with everyone from Soul II Soul, Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton, TLC....anybody who was hot in the early 90's basically. Yet they still managed to create gems with Madonna that many today consider "classic Madonna" songs.

COADF-- Like with Shep, she had a big hand in putting his name out there but by the time she worked with him as the main producer on an album he had already mixed highly acclaimed (even won a Grammy I thik) mixes for Gwen, Killers etc.

HC-- see Bedtime Stories

Many discovered many of these songs LONG after they were popular and LONG after the "hot producers" of these tracks had left the tips of everybody's tongue and the radio airwaves. I'm sure many could care less if they first heard LAV 10 years after it's release that Nile Rodgers' sound was HOT when it came out or that the musical track on Take A Bow could've just as well been placed on a Boyz II Men song. They didn't have an opportunity to judge it and analyze it from it's earliest inception to it's release and all the "bells and whistles" that come with a Madonna album release. Once all that "extra" dies down all you are left with is the finished product to judge instead of all the pre-judging, speculating and downright nitpicking that goes on during the creation of her albums these days. I truly think if HC were just thrown out there and nobody knew ANYTHING about it that the diehard fan reception would've been completely different. For that particular release the names involved put a sour taste in mouths from day one. It was never going to be a "rosy reception" for the diehard fans when the negative feelings started with the first news of the album....much like what is happening now.

Guest Danny86
and those "people" you refer to are teens who just download songs but never buys a full album...

And those are who matter now, not the ones who buy albums, when the best selling albums are doing the same business as AL did in 2003. Madonna herself realized this long ago, she knows albums are not selling, so she will always have to release an attention-seeking hot uptempo dance hit with a hot beat as first single now, because that's the only way to get a hit. Like it was said already, Rihanna is the perfect example, nobody cared for a slow ballad with Ne-Yo beats from her, they wanted another Umbrella or Don't Stop The Music. From Madonna they expect a song with a bang, like Music/Hung Up/4 Minutes and her label/management/whatever knows that and it's not gonna change because you and a few other fans online are frustrated by that.

Gaga's songs are considered "dance" because they are mostly "uptempo" so yeah, that kinda music gets the attention these days. When I refer to "dance" I don't strictly mean Oakenfold you know.

And those are who matter now, not the ones who buy albums, when the best selling albums are doing the same business as AL did in 2003. Madonna herself realized this long ago, she knows albums are not selling, so she will always have to release an attention-seeking hot uptempo dance hit with a hot beat as first single now, because that's the only way to get a hit. Like it was said already, Rihanna is the perfect example, nobody cared for a slow ballad with Ne-Yo beats from her, they wanted another Umbrella or Don't Stop The Music. From Madonna they expect a song with a bang, like Music/Hung Up/4 Minutes and her label/management/whatever knows that and it's not gonna change because you and a few other fans online are frustrated by that.

Gaga's songs are considered "dance" because they are mostly "uptempo" so yeah, that kinda music gets the attention these days. When I refer to "dance" I don't strictly mean Oakenfold you know.

Oh good... just the suggestion that Madonna should turn into some singles artist and become a new GaGa/Britney/Rihanna of some sort is sickening to say the least.

Obviously the days are gone when people expected quality from Madonna.

And you are wrong, even though album sales are low, in the long-run, there's more sales in albums than have the "most downloaded single in the US at the moment".

Madonna is actually one of the few that still sells healthy enough albums in these times... but she won't do it anymore if people don't see her deliver any worthy material anymore.

So cater to downloading teens or doing a great album? I think I know what I would have chosen...

^

@ Kurt420

I think you misunderstood my point. I never said that Madonna didn't work with "hot producers" in the past. Actually, I don't have a problem with Madonna doing so, if they can deliver the goods.

But lately it seems she's just jumping on trends, looking at what singles are hot with the teens, and try to go for something similar. Those type of producers doesn't have the lengths, probably cause the teen-public nowadays are getting bored quickly and jump to the next "hot sound" next year.

This is why Madonna should stop her obsession with trying to cater exclusivity to this market.

She could do such a great quality album and we know she can.

Guest Danny86

Oh good... just the suggestion that Madonna should turn into some singles artist and become a new GaGa/Britney/Rihanna of some sort is sickening to say the least.

Obviously the days are gone when people expected quality from Madonna.

And you are wrong, even though album sales are low, in the long-run, there's more sales in albums than have the "most downloaded single in the US at the moment".

Madonna is actually one of the few that still sells healthy enough albums in these times... but she won't do it anymore if people don't see her deliver any worthy material anymore.

So cater to downloading teens or doing a great album? I think I know what I would have chosen...

I don't see what quality has to do with being a singles artist.

And most people have absolutely no clue about how an album sounds because they don't bother to check it out! Most of Madonna's albums were sold because of 2-3 big singles in the past, people didn't buy them because they were "quality" and they didn't stop buying them because they suck now. Madonna could make another Like A Prayer, it won't make millions buy it, and if her first single gathers no attention, then the whole album will go under the radar. She still sold healthy last year because 4M was a huge hit and GI2M was a hit in several countries, but still less than half of what COADF did and NOT because "people think it's a worse album".

I believe the best selling album of 2009 in the US is not reaching 3 million yet I think there are several singles that sold in the 4 million range. I know the actual profit is a lot smaller and Madonna is one of the very few artists who get big money from worldwide album sales, but they are getting less and less every year. HC was the #10-11 album of 2008, with the same sales it would be around #3 of 2009, nobody can hold onto this forever.

Madonna can still make a quality album (even though it's all based on opinion anyway) if she wants to, but if labels decide it's not worth to produce 10-12 songs when only 1 get attention (no matter how "good" they are), maybe she will start doing less. Fortunately she always bases her shows on new music so it's not like she will only release 2-3 songs from now on, but I can see her topping out with 8-9 songs for the next album like Shakira did.

I don't see what quality has to do with being a singles artist.

And most people have absolutely no clue about how an album sounds because they don't bother to check it out! Most of Madonna's albums were sold because of 2-3 big singles in the past, people didn't buy them because they were "quality" and they didn't stop buying them because they suck now. Madonna could make another Like A Prayer, it won't make millions buy it, and if her first single gathers no attention, then the whole album will go under the radar. She still sold healthy last year because 4M was a huge hit and GI2M was a hit in several countries, but still less than half of what COADF did and NOT because "people think it's a worse album".

I believe the best selling album of 2009 in the US is not reaching 3 million yet I think there are several singles that sold in the 4 million range. I know the actual profit is a lot smaller and Madonna is one of the very few artists who get big money from worldwide album sales, but they are getting less and less every year. HC was the #10-11 album of 2008, with the same sales it would be around #3 of 2009, nobody can hold onto this forever.

Madonna can still make a quality album (even though it's all based on opinion anyway) if she wants to, but if labels decide it's not worth to produce 10-12 songs when only 1 get attention (no matter how "good" they are), maybe she will start doing less. Fortunately she always bases her shows on new music so it's not like she will only release 2-3 songs from now on, but I can see her topping out with 8-9 songs for the next album like Shakira did.

Again you seem to think that the US is the only country in the world or whatever.

People also buys albums that has good word-of-mouth and not just hit singles. Anyway... Madonna has a 10 year contract and she doesn't need to spit out useless singles to cater to the youth... it's not like she's gonna lose her record deal for not doing so.

Obviously i'm not stupid, I know the impact singles does. Obviously without a single on the airwaves pushing, it will be harder to sell. But it's not as Madonna is popular on the US radio anyways and a hit with 4M didn't help HC in the US so it doesn't matter.

If you want Madonna to be a singles artists that's up to you, I think it's a sad day when her fans asks her to throw out worthless peace of crap that is SO underneath her artistically, when facts is it DOESN'T HELP HER ALBUM SALES...

so what if she gets one of the most downloaded singles in a year in the US? Who the fuck cares? Is the Mariah Carey or what? What are we? Lambs who just want her to be #1 on the US download charts but doesn't give a fuck if she releases a good album or what...?

If she'll turn into that kind of tragic artist i'm officially over as a fan and you can be happy with your singles artist Madonna...

You will see that more people will turn their backs on her... and rightly so if she's choosing this route... people expect quality from Madonna... not some throwaway singles and an album full of fillers...

Zezwer....

I don't think you are getting my point. Basically, what I'm saying is that if you were as invested in Madonna's album creation process with albums like LAV, BS etc (at the time it was happening of course) as you are with this one, then you may have said the same things....she's latching to hot producers etc. You didn't have that opportunity though, all you heard was the finished product outside of it's element (meaning not being played with songs it was "competing" with at the time on the charts) Like I said above Nile Rodgers worked with Duran Duran just before working with Madonna on LAV. Their main audience at that time of course was teens. The most obvious of course is Dallas Austin/Babyface/Dave Hall. Mariah, Whitney, Toni, TLC all of them were hot with teens and scoring massive hits thanks to those producers at the time Madonna wanted to utilize them. Had you known every little detail about the creation process before, during and after the release of those albums I think the same conclusions you are jumping to now would've happened then too.

We tend to look at the past with "rose tinted" glasses because you seem to think Madonna working with "hot" producers in the hopes of scoring a hit is a new thing for her. It's not though, in fact most producers she's worked with at the time she worked with them, were fresh off of producing hits for "hot" artists of the time. Two examples of that are above. Why is it any different because it's 2009 and it's Guetta? Is it because she is older and no matter who she works with now is probably going to be younger than her? Not to mention all the artists these producers produce are younger than her. I'm not understanding why we must automatically assume she intends on producing garbage when in the past she has produced very distinctive "Madonna classics" with these "hot producers" of the time.

Wow, I can't believe the people here who are saying they won't be a fan to Madonna anymore if she doesn't produce the exact music they want this time. How shallow is that, it's immature, and it's being spoiled!!! How would you feel if people said that of your work for whatever it is?

I'm proud to say whether she produces something I like or not, I'm in it for the long haul. It would be a great loss if I wasn't.

Wow, I can't believe the people here who are saying they won't be a fan to Madonna anymore if she doesn't produce the exact music they want this time. How shallow is that, it's immature, and it's being spoiled!!! How would you feel if people said that of your work for whatever it is?

I'm proud to say whether she produces something I like or not, I'm in it for the long haul. It would be a great loss if I wasn't.

I'm with you on that! I like waaaaaay too much of her work to give up on her at this point. I'm ALWAYS going to be open to hearing what she releases regardless of whether she works with someone I'm not too fond of or if I didn't care for the previous album (or 2 or even 3).

I guess that's loyalty?? A certain forum member seems to find it odd that fans are loyal to pop artists. I find it odd that one day an artist is the end all be all and the next week they are "old news" and "tired". Just as an example, at the beginning of this year Britney was being shown all kinds of love by her fans. They seemed so happy and proud of her. She's wrapping up a great year and recently I read that SHE needs to "step it up" etc. Of course this is after Gaga has become uber-hot. Who it will be at this time next year??

It will be Madonna for me! :)

Again you seem to think that the US is the only country in the world or whatever.

People also buys albums that has good word-of-mouth and not just hit singles. Anyway... Madonna has a 10 year contract and she doesn't need to spit out useless singles to cater to the youth... it's not like she's gonna lose her record deal for not doing so.

Obviously i'm not stupid, I know the impact singles does. Obviously without a single on the airwaves pushing, it will be harder to sell. But it's not as Madonna is popular on the US radio anyways and a hit with 4M didn't help HC in the US so it doesn't matter.

If you want Madonna to be a singles artists that's up to you, I think it's a sad day when her fans asks her to throw out worthless peace of crap that is SO underneath her artistically, when facts is it DOESN'T HELP HER ALBUM SALES...

so what if she gets one of the most downloaded singles in a year in the US? Who the fuck cares? Is the Mariah Carey or what? What are we? Lambs who just want her to be #1 on the US download charts but doesn't give a fuck if she releases a good album or what...?

If she'll turn into that kind of tragic artist i'm officially over as a fan and you can be happy with your singles artist Madonna...

You will see that more people will turn their backs on her... and rightly so if she's choosing this route... people expect quality from Madonna... not some throwaway singles and an album full of fillers...

Fuck off! you speak about "quality", who the fuck are u to say this is crap or not? just to use her recent work 3.6 million people didn't agree with you and bought the damn HC album, and if it didn't sell more was not because it was full of crap...you think Susan Boyle's album is a "quality" album? with songs she's re-recorded from others?...there's more to it than just what u call "quality" in this fucking music industry for an album to have an egg of sales!, for instance: DAMN PROMOTION!... The woman didn't put much effort in promoting the damn thing just like now she's not promoting Celebration ...you seem to wanna be an authority in this shit more than a woman who's survived the 80's, the 90's the 2000's and still be relevant through it all? after nearly 30 years u want "quality" from her that fits your parameters? and u cockily threaten to be over with her? do us all a favor and put her into your "non grateful" list just now and fuck off! :p

Surely Lady GaGa is an example of someone who has released many singles from one album? And now she's gone back and added more for a deluxe version?

With iTunes, artists are releasing more singles from albums as album sales overall are plummeting as people pick and choose. So releasing more singles will drive up sales rather than just expecting two or three singles to carry the rest. However, they need to get played to get the exposure and that means doing a lot more promotional work. It's much more of a give and take attitude in the media now. If the artist is prepared to come over and appear, they will get the airplay.

Unfortunately, as Madonna has not adjusted to the surge of media channels, other artists are getting the airplay. No videos, no PAs, no airplay. No sales :(

I'm with you on that! I like waaaaaay too much of her work to give up on her at this point. I'm ALWAYS going to be open to hearing what she releases regardless of whether she works with someone I'm not too fond of or if I didn't care for the previous album (or 2 or even 3).

I guess that's loyalty?? A certain forum member seems to find it odd that fans are loyal to pop artists. I find it odd that one day an artist is the end all be all and the next week they are "old news" and "tired". Just as an example, at the beginning of this year Britney was being shown all kinds of love by her fans. They seemed so happy and proud of her. She's wrapping up a great year and recently I read that SHE needs to "step it up" etc. Of course this is after Gaga has become uber-hot. Who it will be at this time next year??

It will be Madonna for me! :)

Me too Kurt! Well said in every post you've made. :thumbsup:

Fuck off! you speak about "quality", who the fuck are u to say this is crap or not? just to use her recent work 3.6 million people didn't agree with you and bought the damn HC album, and if it didn't sell more was not because it was full of crap...you think Susan Boyle's album is a "quality" album? with songs she's re-recorded from others?...there's more to it than just what u call "quality" in this fucking music industry for an album to have an egg of sales!, for instance: DAMN PROMOTION!... The woman didn't put much effort in promoting the damn thing just like now she's not promoting Celebration ...you seem to wanna be an authority in this shit more than a woman who's survived the 80's, the 90's the 2000's and still be relevant through it all? after nearly 30 years u want "quality" from her that fits your parameters? and u cockily threaten to be over with her? do us all a favor and put her into your "non grateful" list just now and fuck off! :p

WHO THE FUCK ARE U FUCKING NOBODY NEWBIE

Susan Boyle quality!?!? Read my posts before commenting on them

Is their only Susan Boyle and GaGas and Britney's in your music world??... then i'm sorry for u

So if she would do an album with sounds of her shitting you would be there supporting it?

PLZZ

The only immature thing is for Madonna to turn into some lame GaGa/Britney/Rihanna kind of artist

I can't believe we are speaking about the same woman... this is the woman that gave us ROL/Music/LAP and other quality albums throughout her career