ROLLING STONE (USA): October 29th Cover

Guest Damaris

Madonna Dishes The Good Stuff!!!

Filed under: Justin Timberlake > Madonna > Eminem > Lady GaGa

With her tour finally complete and her album, Celebration, enjoying a comfortable spot on the charts, Madonna has been doing a lot of press lately. (not that she in anyway needs to promote herself)

In her newest interview for Rolling Stone, Madge opens up about three of our favorite topics: Lady GaGa, Justin Timberlake, and dumb bitches who don't know a great thing when they seem'em! Plus, some other fun little tidbits about her early years. Here's a piece of the interview:

"On Lady GaGa: “I see myself in Lady Gaga. When I saw her, she didnt have a lot of money for her production. she's got holes in her fishnets, and there's mistakes everywhere. It was kind of a mess, but I can see that she has that IT Factor. It's nice to see that at a raw stage"

On her biggest hits: "I've never been a good judge of what things are going to be huge or not. The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I've written, like "Cherish" and "Sorry", a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits. "Into the Groove" is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

On Justin Timberlake : "Justin is a brilliant songwriter. I mean, "What Goes Around…..Comes Around?" Brilliant. I thought it would be a challenge to work with him. He's sort of a Cary Grant. I love him. I love working with him."

On who's TURNED HER DOWN : "I wanted to work with Eminem. I don't think he wanted to work with me. Maybe he's shy."

On her 80's hairstyles & looks: "It's ok. It was the 80's. It was a bad haristyle era. Let's face it. "

On Growing up : "I was a geek in high school. I didn't really have a drink until my first divorce"

The biggest challenge of her career? : "Working on EVITA. It's a whole different singing sensibility. I had to seriously work with a vocal coach"

On the first 3 concerts she saw : "My first show was David Bowie. My second show was Elton John. And my third was Bob Marley! Not bad, right?"

Loves it! And thank God Eminem turned her down!

Not even remotely good enough to share a track with Madge!

Idiot!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/10/14/madonna-looks-back-the-new-issue-of-rolling-stone/

Madonna Looks Back: The New Issue of Rolling Stone

10/14/09, 9:45 am EST

In January 1984 Madonna had just one album under her belt when she told American Bandstand’s Dick Clark she had lofty plans: “To rule the world.” (Watch the rarely seen clip here, in our Iconic Madonna Moments gallery.) Over the past three decades, she has provoked, innovated and inspired; she’s set and broken her own records, most recently wrapping the highest-grossing tour ever by a solo artist with her Sticky & Sweet show. And now that she’s released the two-disc retrospective Celebration, the pop superstar who rarely looks back sat down with Rolling Stone’s Austin Scaggs for a revealing trip through her early days in New York, some of her biggest scandals, and of course, her most massive hits in our new issue, on stands today.

Celebrating Madonna: Look back at her 50 most iconic moments in photos and videos.

Even as a seventh grader in Michigan, Madonna reveals she knew how to push her audience’s buttons. For her first ever performance, “I had my girlfriends paint my body with fluorescent hearts and flowers,” she recalls of a rendition of the Who’s “Baba O’Riley” that left her fellow students speechless. “I wore a pair of shorts and a midriff top, and I just went mad. … I’m sure everyone thought I was insane. That was the beginning of my provocative performances, I guess.”

Get a look at photos from Madonna’s record-shattering Sticky & Sweet tour.

But having innate stage savvy didn’t mean Madonna grew up a wild child. Though she tells Scaggs about her days as a graffiti artist when she was running with Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat in New York City (her tag: Boy Toy), life was tamer before that. “I was a geek in high school. I didn’t really have a drink until I got divorced for the first time [from Sean Penn] when I was 30,” she admits. ” ‘Geek’ is not a word anyone uses to describe me, except perhaps [Confessions on a Dance Floor producer] Stuart Price, who once said, ‘You know, you’re a nerd at heart, nobody knows it.’ I took it as a compliment.”

Check out all of Madonna dozen Rolling Stone covers.

She credits her first major shift in style — from punky brunette club kid to blonde wedding wonder — to getting dressed and styled for more photo shoots and videos as her career progressed. “I think people put a lot of emphasis on the whole reinvention of my image, and it’s always been a lot less calculated than people think,” she says. ” I think it’s boring to stay the same. A girl likes to change her look.” But if she had to pick her worst fashion moment: “It was the purple lipstick, fluorescent-green sweater combo. … It’s OK, it was the Eighties. It was a bad-hairstyle era. Let’s face it.”

But Madonna doesn’t have many musical regrets. She tells Scaggs about writing “Live to Tell” and “Vogue,” returning with a head full of brand-new ideas on Ray of Light and teaming with some of the industry’s biggest hitmakers on Hard Candy. But after all these years, she admits she still can’t sniff out a Number One. “I’ve never been a good judge of what things are going to be huge or not. The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I’ve written, like ‘Cherish’ and ‘Sorry,’ a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits,” she tells RS. ” ‘Into the Groove’ is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it.”

Madonna’s Rolling Stone interview is on newsstands now. Stay tuned for bonus Q&A from Scaggs’ conversations with Madonna, and don’t miss our look back at the megastar’s

Guest Pud Whacker

*Madonnanation implodes*

she saw herself in the spice girls and marilyn manson. she sees herself in everyone. well because...

----

listen where the fuck is this interview???????????????????????????

Guest ursaminorjim

On her biggest hits: "I've never been a good judge of what things are going to be huge or not. The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I've written, like "Cherish" and "Sorry", a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits. "Into the Groove" is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

Okay, that seals it.

Hate her.

:lol:

Guest Danny86

Yeah, but you know the list for Madonna is very long.

I wonder why she didn't say "True Blue" in this context because that seemed to be the one she disliked the most.

And if I'm not wrong, during a S&ST request section, she said about "Causing A Commotion" that singing it makes her feel retarded. :rotfl:

http://www.popeater.com/2009/10/14/madonna-rolling-stone-interview/

'Work Saved Me,' Madonna Says After Tough Year

Posted Wednesday 14 October 10:30 AM By: PopEater Staff

1 Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRINT | E-MAIL More

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madonna knows a thing or two about gracing the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. After all, she's done it 12 times. In the latest, the pop icon declares her love for "fearless and funny" Lady Gaga, lets slip that she feels "retarded" singing poppy hits like 'Into the Groove' and tries to atone for a decade of fashion, especially that "fluorescent-green sweater combo." On more serious matters, Madonna talks about the "pros and cons" of divorce and that if she hadn't pushed so hard with her work, she "may have thrown myself off a building."

Check out some choice quotes from the RS interview and a few of her best covers over the years, after the jump.

On Divorcing Guy Ritchie Last Year: "What can you say? It was a challenging year. I think work saved me, and I'm very grateful that I had work to do. I may have thrown myself off a building. Life is an adjustment. It's different. My sons aren't with me right now, they're with their father, and I'm not very comfortable with the idea of my children not living together. There are pros and cons, but I feel good now."

On the Cover of the Rolling StoneRolling Stone12 photos 1. November 22, 1984 -- In the wake of her legendary appearance at MTV's inaugural Video Music Awards, Madonna was everywhere.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

http://xml.channel.aol.com/xmlpublisher/fetch.v2.xml?option=expand_relative_urls&dataUrlNodes=uiConfig,feedConfig,entry&id=694771&pid=694770&uts=1255532653

http://www.popeater.com/mm_track/popeater/music/?s_channel=us.musicpop&s_account=aolpopeater,aolsvc&omni=1&ke=1

http://cdn.channel.aol.com/cs_feed_v1_6/csfeedwrapper.swf

On the Cover of the Rolling Stone

1. November 22, 1984 -- In the wake of her legendary appearance at MTV's inaugural Video Music Awards, Madonna was everywhere.

Rolling Stone

Rolling Stone

Madonna on the Cover ...

1. November 22, 1984 -- In the wake of her legendary appearance at MTV's inaugural Video Music Awards, Madonna was everywhere.

Rolling Stone

2. May 9, 1985 -- The singer and Rosanna Arquette vamped it up to promote their film, 'Desperately Seeking Susan.'

NEXT: Madonna shows off her new look in June, 1986.

Rolling Stone

On Who She's Listening To: "I think Lady Gaga is great. When [she and daughter Lourdes] saw her, I actually felt a kind of recognition. I thought, "She's got something." There's something quirky about her. She's fearless and funny, and when she spoke to the audience, she sounded intelligent and clever. She's unique."

Can She Sense an Artist's Ambition? "Yes. There's people like Justin Timberlake, who's really good-looking and laid back. He's sort of a Cary Grant. I love him, I love working with him, but I don't recognize myself in him. But I can see myself in Lady Gaga. In the early part of my career, for sure. When I saw her, she didn't have a lot of money for her production, she's got holes in her fishnets, and there's mistakes everywhere. It was kind of a mess, but I can see that she's got that It factor. It's nice to see that at a raw stage."

How Does She Know a Song Will Be a Hit? "I've never been a good judge of what things are going to be huge or not. The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I've written, like "Cherish" and "Sorry," a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits. "Into the Groove" is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

Has Anyone Turned Down an Offer to Work With Her? "Sure. Or it's, "I don't have time." I wanted to work with Eminem. I don't think he wanted to work with me. [smiles] Maybe he's shy."

Which Madonna fashion era makes you cringe? "I think it was the purple lipstick, fluorescent-green sweater combo. So many of those hairstyles. It's OK, it was the Eighties. It was a bad-hairstyle era, let's face it."

The rumors about her wanting to call her most recent album "Black Madonna" apparently were true (and appearing in blackface)- she's tackled race/ethnicity before in her work (wonderfully), but that would have been a tad much.

RE "Into the Groove"- it's one of her most ACCLAIMED recordings, but remember she said it was "dorky" back in 1994 or so, and that she probably could singit again if someone gave her a lot of drugs.

I didn't renew my RS subscription, but this is a must-have.

Guest SuperBriGuy

The rumors about her wanting to call her most recent album "Black Madonna" apparently were true (and appearing in blackface)- she's tackled race/ethnicity before in her work (wonderfully), but that would have been a tad much.

RE "Into the Groove"- it's one of her most ACCLAIMED recordings, but remember she said it was "dorky" back in 1994 or so, and that she probably could singit again if someone gave her a lot of drugs.

I didn't renew my RS subscription, but this is a must-have.

I remembered reading that a possible title for the album was "Black Star" but this is the first time I ever heard of "Black Madonna" or the blackface idea...interesting. :fag:

Anyways, love the cover and can't wait to read the full article!

On Divorcing Guy Ritchie Last Year: "What can you say? It was a challenging year. I think work saved me, and I'm very grateful that I had work to do. I may have thrown myself off a building.

This made me a little sad! For some reason I always assumed she was happy she finally got rid of her ex, a moment to breath at last, but damn it seems like this was one of the hardest moments of her life. not that divorce shouldnt be. but the "throwing off a building" part doesnt sound like Madonna at all.

This made me a little sad! For some reason I always assumed she was happy she finally got rid of her ex, a moment to breath at last, but damn it seems like this was one of the hardest moments of her life. not that divorce shouldnt be. but the "throwing off a building" part doesnt sound like Madonna at all.

Yes, that made me sad. too. But it also makes her human and normal. I'm sure she's happy now in retrospect. but when you're going through something like that how can you be happy you are breaking up with someone who you promised to be with forever, was with for 7 years and had two children with? I would find it strange if she was totally happy to just get rid of him and not be sad about the breakup of her marriage and her family.

On Divorcing Guy Ritchie Last Year: "What can you say? It was a challenging year. I think work saved me, and I'm very grateful that I had work to do. I may have thrown myself off a building. Life is an adjustment. It's different. My sons aren't with me right now, they're with their father, and I'm not very comfortable with the idea of my children not living together. There are pros and cons, but I feel good now."

Really? I thought she had custody of all four kids, where I assume Guy got as much visitation as needed. If that is the case then it's a bit sad for everyone involved. :(

http://www.rollingst...-rolling-stone/

But having innate stage savvy didn't mean Madonna grew up a wild child. Though she tells Scaggs about her days as a graffiti artist when she was running with Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat in New York City (her tag: Boy Toy), life was tamer before that. "I was a geek in high school. I didn't really have a drink until I got divorced for the first time [from Sean Penn] when I was 30," she admits. " 'Geek' is not a word anyone uses to describe me, except perhaps [Confessions on a Dance Floor producer] Stuart Price, who once said, 'You know, you're a nerd at heart, nobody knows it.' I took it as a compliment."

:inlove: How sweet. I miss Stuart.

Really? I thought she had custody of all four kids, where I assume Guy got as much visitation as needed. If that is the case then it's a bit sad for everyone involved. :(

She does have custody. Guy has visitation rights, which means they're visiting with him at the moment. Duh.

She has custody of her 4 children. When she's in London the boys spend some of the time at Guy's (mostly at Ashcombe, I assume), but they live with Madonna through out the year; they go to school in NY.

WOW! Where did this come from lol. I had NO idea she was even gonna be on the US Rolling Stone anytime soon! Lookin like her iconic, gorgeous self there. flawless!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

fantastic...but i woudl love a new pic .

NO.

understand me when i speak. the woman never has to be photographed again - shes been photographed to death already. the woman never has to do another song either. her enormous monstrous catalog puts everyone to shame. theyre all eating her dust.

so, if and when something new does come out. love it or leave it because shes ALREADY DONE IT.

:rotfl:

Thanks for the clarification, Bitch. I never paid attention to the details of her divorce.

:thumbsup:

It's a very good interview. Unlike the The Times piece, this is a REAL interview; not an incoherent article with barely few quotes from her.

Both interview were made around the same time; a few days after her birthday when she was in London, during the tour.

09-10-14-madonna-rolling-stone-02.jpg

09-10-14-madonna-rolling-stone-03.jpg09-10-14-madonna-rolling-stone-05.jpg09-10-14-madonna-rolling-stone-04.jpg

Guest Danny86

I loved this part:

I was at the show last night in Budapest. I was struck by how none of the songs you performed were in their original arrangements.

Even my new songs, I have to reinvent them, or after a couple of months, I'll just get sick of them. When you reinvent them, you have to sit for days with the musical director and your band. Inevitably, you end up sampling someone, and you have to get permission and pay more money. People have told me, "You could just go out there and play guitar and sing your songs like Paul McCartney," but I'd be too bored. Most of the joy of the shows is the magic of creating them - the theater. I'm a perfectionist. I like hard work. I like to sweat.

So no, she won't be cutting down the mash-ups or the theatrics anytime soon.