Is Lady Gaga The New Madonna?

TOUR2008

Let's have this discussion when GaGa puts out an album as good as Like A Prayer or Ray of Light.

You do realize that by then... that it took her 3 studio albums, multiple soundtracks, singles that got to those albums... you claim are "good". No doubt, I agree those two are Madonna's best yet, but by saying this, it only means all the years before it, she wasn't that good. Oddly enough, she had already captivated the world and made numerous transformations and huge hits.

I've said this before and I'll say thing again... Lady Ga Ga is one step ahead of Madonna regarding the fact her debut album got buzz long before it was released and her first single became an instant hit, unlike Madonna's first. Sure, we can sit here and mention all the advantages Lady Ga Ga has had compared to Madonna, but the fact remains if Lady Ga Ga wasn't interesting and didn't make music that fits in today's scene, she wouldn't be as popular as she is now. No amount of money, connections and what not will change that.

Again, I really don't see Lady Ga Ga the "new Madonna". She is definitely a unique artist in her own right. And while we can say she's borrowing fashion from the past and her music isn't that much different to what we are hearing today, they really were saying the same of Madonna back in the day. In fact, all the fashion Madonna sported was already on the upswing. Hell, Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper were wearing much of the same. Though Cyndi took it to another level of wildness.

I do see a little of Cyndi and Madonna in Lady Ga Ga when it comes to fashion and standing out. And after watching Lady Ga Ga's new video "Paparazzi", I am more convince this woman is going to be huge for sometime to come.

It's weird how we sit here and have to make these comparisons, where some fans are constantly trying to still prove Madonna is top dog here. Sorry, but if you have to continually try to prove Madonna is better by discrediting other pop stars like Lady Ga Ga then maybe a part of you feels Madonna is no longer as relevant as you wish. I don't agree with that. But the fact is Madonna is an older artist and the entertainment business will continue to shove her to the side for other up and coming artists. The same happened back when Madonna came on the scene. Even Blondie saw that Madonna pretty much picked up where she left off. I also feel Madonna picked up a bit where Pat Benatar left off and was able to prove that she wasn't going to be a flash in the pan as the critics predicted.

If you genuinely don't like Lady Ga Ga... fine. But don't get all threatened and defensive when she makes a big splash and actually may become the most biggest star we've had in a long time.

If you genuinely don't like Lady Ga Ga... fine. But don't get all threatened and defensive when she makes a big splash and actually may become the most biggest star we've had in a long time.

:thumbsup:

I Can see it Happening.

Unlike Most People, I Wish Everyone Sucess SO MORE POWER TO GAGA!

I Hope she Takes over the planet. :dramatic:

Pinks first album was the only manufactured album of her career, after that she's made her own choices musically...dullard. :lmao:

You can't tell that queen anything. He's too thick to understand anything outside of his tiny bubble.

I think the hatred to Gaga is because more Madonna fans appear to enjoy The Fame over Hard Candy. Lets face it more proably enjoy Blackout and Circus over HC even though The Fame, Circus and Blackout are all pretty average albums as a whole.

There are a lot of Madonna loons who put Gaga down because she tries to "act sexy", talks about "art". Madonna is not actually that sexy and not really that arty in a lot of peoples eyes and I tend to agree.

It is a bit unfair of the media to compare Gaga to Madonna - one has just started out whils the other has a fantastic legacy of 25 years on the mainstream charts.

I dont know why the media has to have a "new madonna". Madonna is Madonna, Lady Gaga is Lady Gaga, Britney is Britney.

Just because Madonna came after Debbie Harry, or Kim Wilde etc should we have to consider Madonna the new Debbie Harry?

I sometimes have to laugh at some of the other users comments on this forum - anyone would think that Madonna was the first female singer ever? I think Madonna has ripped off Grace Jones, Debbie Harry, Donna Summer and probably so many more in the 80's alone yet I dont make a big deal of it.

I think a lot of the problem lies in age too. How many people will actually listen to Madonna if she continues releasing commercial poppy albums like COADF/HC? Pop music buyers probably do not want the latest underground influenced track by a 50 something. Gaga might just fit that niche very well.

If her career is twice as successful as Madonna's - it does not offend me. It does not make Madonna's music any less likeable to me.

I am just curious, is the hatred for Gaga here because you truly dislike the music, or because you guys take great offense to the media trying to liken her to Madonna? I seriously don't see how a Madonna fan could *hate* something like Just Dance (which IMO sounds more like "old school Madonna" than the HC material everyone raves about how much it sounds like vintage M). But I do agree it's way too soon for the media to bestow "the new Madonna" on her after one album and maybe three hit singles. You have to earn that type of status, but still... even if you don't like her because she can't compare to Madonna, what about how she compares to other artists of her generation/genre? She isn't Madonna but would you rather see someone like Heidi Montag on the charts?

Pink is a different level to the others. She really does deserve credit for showing that women dont have to play dumb, act sexy, strip naked, court controversey to be noticed.

She lets the music speak for its self more.

We'll see in a couple of years ago if GaGa will be able to re-invent both her persona and music. But Pink i'd say is more like Eminem. The same kind of concept going round in circles, but at enough high level to still keep us interested (which means not at a Mariah recycle kind of level), but still not up there with Madonna who re-invents herself constantly.

Lady GaGa is fine, but she really isn't the second coming of anything or anyone. She doesn't bring anything new to the table, other than a kooky fashion sense, and a contrived sense of her own self importance. She's talented, but so are all of the other women making the same disposable pop she's churning out. There's really not much separating her from Fergie, Gwen, Rihanna, Katy, Britney, Christina, and yes Pink (a truly overrated performer). And she's about as underground as the rest of them. I have to laugh everytime some 15 minute loon claims she's from the streets. :wacko::lol:

Guest Pud Whacker
Make your own Lady Gagag:

Throw one xerox of Dale Bozzio, one Christina Aguilera CD and a 100 (tea) cups delusions of grandeur into a blender.

:demonic:

theres this one "hot" music channel called JIM where they KEEP calling britney the QUEEN OF POP. in their ads to win her tix, news headlines, videoclips.. everyone and their cat call their fav. girl of the month the queen of pop, it has no real meaning, i think it has become a personal thing.

I think the hatred to Gaga is because more Madonna fans appear to enjoy The Fame over Hard Candy. Lets face it more proably enjoy Blackout and Circus over HC even though The Fame, Circus and Blackout are all pretty average albums as a whole.

There are a lot of Madonna loons who put Gaga down because she tries to "act sexy", talks about "art". Madonna is not actually that sexy and not really that arty in a lot of peoples eyes and I tend to agree.

It is a bit unfair of the media to compare Gaga to Madonna - one has just started out whils the other has a fantastic legacy of 25 years on the mainstream charts.

I dont know why the media has to have a "new madonna". Madonna is Madonna, Lady Gaga is Lady Gaga, Britney is Britney.

Just because Madonna came after Debbie Harry, or Kim Wilde etc should we have to consider Madonna the new Debbie Harry?

I sometimes have to laugh at some of the other users comments on this forum - anyone would think that Madonna was the first female singer ever? I think Madonna has ripped off Grace Jones, Debbie Harry, Donna Summer and probably so many more in the 80's alone yet I dont make a big deal of it.

I think a lot of the problem lies in age too. How many people will actually listen to Madonna if she continues releasing commercial poppy albums like COADF/HC? Pop music buyers probably do not want the latest underground influenced track by a 50 something. Gaga might just fit that niche very well.

If her career is twice as successful as Madonna's - it does not offend me. It does not make Madonna's music any less likeable to me.

Couldn't have said it better. Madonna is tired of late. Although she's still very hardworking her creative juices have well and truly dried up which is sad to see.

Gaga is like a breath of fresh air for pop music. Her new Paparazzi video is spectacular.

Guest bluejean

I have to agree Gaga is a breath of fresh air.

I would say the crazy stage personas of Bowie, mixed with the narcissism of early 90's Madonna and outrageous sexuality of early Prince. She's really her own blend. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. She doesn't seem to stand for anything imo. Just fame, money, boys, flashing her vag... doing anything for attention a la Madonna's hey day. At least she's interesting and unique, and by her own free will rather than Britney/Whinehouse type victim.

Does she have a point of view? Is she a worthwhile influence? I really can't tell. I'm not a fan but I'm interested in her. She's getting Madonna type hype.

Couldn't have said it better. Madonna is tired of late. Although she's still very hardworking her creative juices have well and truly dried up which is sad to see.

Gaga is like a breath of fresh air for pop music. Her new Paparazzi video is spectacular.

How is Gaga's MUSIC a breath of fresh air?? Britney Spears' Blackout is more "edgy" than The Fame....hell I'd argue many of the songs on HC are more sonically interesting than The Fame songs. The Fame is generic in sound. I will say that it's cool to see someone with a "quirky", weird image come along and have some popularity. Her STYLE is like a throwback to 80's stars such as Cyndi and Boy George who were OTT and fun. It's a nice breath of fresh air from all the girls who came up within the last decade that were essentially Britney clones. Pop music lost a lot of individuality in the 00's (image wise), everybody started looking and sounding the same. One can definitely not say that about Gaga image wise, no matter how contrived or pretentious one may feel it is.

To me it's sadder to see a bunch of people thinking they are getting some BIG BREATH of fresh air musically with Gaga when MUSICALLY it's the same song and dance....boring...generic. She sounds like she would be a Britney clone (with a better voice mind you). All I mean is it seems like people are letting their opinion of her "innovative" dress style bleed over into her music and they try to call it innovative and fresh and well, which it's far from. If she put as much effort into her music as she does into her quirky dress sense, we'd have a winner here. Until that happens, when it comes to strictly the music....Britney, Christina.....just about any of the princesses do it better, musically.

BUT Gaga has genuine raw musical talent so it will be interesting to see how she follows this up.

Gaga is talented but unfortunately she's an idiot of the higest order. I just saw her new video and some awful interview where she was talking about big dix and then later turning around and responding with "oh, that's a stupid question" as if she's some sort of intellectual tigress with something important to say. Worst. Does she not realize that she had been giving nothing but stupid answers that entire interview? Madonna may be more uptight than she used to be but at least early in her career she made it a point to balance her pretentiousness with a healthy dose of self deprecation. I don't buy this whole thing of Gaga playing a character to entertain the public, I think she's playing it because she actually thinks she looks cool. Does she not realize how fast her whole act is going to grow stale? She's one album into her career and these are the kind of interviews and videos shes giving us? Dumbass. I officially can't stand her.

Guest Pud Whacker
Gaga is talented but unfortunately she's an idiot of the higest order. I just saw her new video and some awful interview where she was talking about big dix and then later turning around and responding with "oh, that's a stupid question" as if she's some sort of intellectual tigress with something important to say. Worst. Does she not realize that she had been giving nothing but stupid answers that entire interview? Madonna may be more uptight than she used to be but at least early in her career she made it a point to balance her pretentiousness with a healthy dose of self deprecation. I don't buy this whole thing of Gaga playing a character to entertain the public, I think she's playing it because she actually thinks she looks cool. Does she not realize how fast her whole act is going to grow stale? She's one album into her career and these are the kind of interviews and videos shes giving us? Dumbass. I officially can't stand her.

:demonic:

they eat it up. trippy.

I just saw her new video and some awful interview where she was talking about big dix and then later turning around and responding with "oh, that's a stupid question" as if she's some sort of intellectual tigress with something important to say. Worst. Does she not realize that she had been giving nothing but stupid answers that entire interview? Madonna may be more uptight than she used to be but at least early in her career she made it a point to balance her pretentiousness with a healthy dose of self deprecation.

I agree, if you watch MADONNA's 83-85 interviews, she like magna cum laude compared to other artists... esp. that interview where she made that hall and oates member look like an idiot... MADONNA is a very entertaining/intellectual subject for interviews... well, she's a straight A student after all

Guest Pud Whacker
I agree, if you watch MADONNA's 83-85 interviews, she like magna cum laude compared to other artists... esp. that interview where she made that hall and oates member look like an idiot... MADONNA is a very entertaining/intellectual subject for interviews... well, she's a straight A student after all

:thumbsup:

best ever.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

Madonna IS MADONNA. DUH. You can't have a new Madonna when she is a legend who is the greatest selling female solo artist tour and album-wise. I mean, what the fuck? People call themselves Madonna fans and thene employ this idiocy.

Guest vermicious knid

I didn't have an opinion of her before I saw that interview. She is gross. Get rid of her.

My opinion of her has nothing to do with a comparison to Madonna

That said she is just so not interesting! Pretty lame really she has one or two cool tracks but that's all, she herself and her personna are dull!

• 2 weeks later...

rap-up.com

Wale Calls Lady GaGa the ‘Next Madonna’

wale-lady-gaga1.jpg

After “Chillin’” with her in his new video, Wale has great expectations for Lady GaGa.

“She’s a very talented musician,” the D.C. rapper tells Rap-Up.com of his collaborator. “She’s kind of underrated from her musicianship standpoint. I think a lot of people think it’s more style over substance, but if you’re in the studio, then you would know she’s very musical and everything is kind of a big idea with her.”

GaGa has drawn comparisons to Madonna for her pop sound, eccentric style, and inventive videos. When asked if she has the potential to be the next Queen of Pop, Wale was unwavering in his response. “Her fan base is there, so ‘potential’ isn’t even a word anymore. She’s incredible and she has a lot of fans.”

The way Wale sees it, the “Poker Face” singer is heir to the Material Girl’s throne. “I think she is the next Madonna. Nobody wants to hear this persons the next that, because everybody’s so nostalgic, but I think she is. It’s the Generation Y version of Madonna,” he says. “She’s 24 years old and she’s very risky and a fashion icon. The songs are good—she’s definitely [the next Madonna].”

Wale is not the first artist to compare GaGa to Madonna. Kanye West echoed similar sentiments in a recent blog entry.

–Reporting by Monique Balcarra

I'm gonna say this again....

There will never be a "new Madonna".Madonna is an original.These other ladies are just playing catch-up...doing things that Madonna has already done years ago.They're just recycling Madonna's old ideas and concepts.I don't think we'll ever have "mega-stars" like we did in the 80s.The music industry has changed alot.Lady Gaga may be "hot" right now,but I seriously doubt that she will achieve even half of what Madonna did.

Guest Drowned Bedtime

The closest to another Madonna there ever was is Britney Spears, and that's only in terms of icon-ness, and how she'll keep making albums for a good few years yet, I expect.

However, the making of those albums involves her being drgaged from whatever asylum she's in to whisper into a mic, and then that's autotuned into singing. And she has virtually no artiswtic talent of her own.

So yeah. No Madonna.

rap-up.com

Wale Calls Lady GaGa the ‘Next Madonna’

wale-lady-gaga1.jpg

After “Chillin’” with her in his new video, Wale has great expectations for Lady GaGa.

“She’s a very talented musician,” the D.C. rapper tells Rap-Up.com of his collaborator. “She’s kind of underrated from her musicianship standpoint. I think a lot of people think it’s more style over substance, but if you’re in the studio, then you would know she’s very musical and everything is kind of a big idea with her.”

GaGa has drawn comparisons to Madonna for her pop sound, eccentric style, and inventive videos. When asked if she has the potential to be the next Queen of Pop, Wale was unwavering in his response. “Her fan base is there, so ‘potential’ isn’t even a word anymore. She’s incredible and she has a lot of fans.”

The way Wale sees it, the “Poker Face” singer is heir to the Material Girl’s throne. “I think she is the next Madonna. Nobody wants to hear this persons the next that, because everybody’s so nostalgic, but I think she is. It’s the Generation Y version of Madonna,” he says. “She’s 24 years old and she’s very risky and a fashion icon. The songs are good—she’s definitely [the next Madonna].”

Wale is not the first artist to compare GaGa to Madonna. Kanye West echoed similar sentiments in a recent blog entry.

–Reporting by Monique Balcarra

:confused: I thought fashion icon meant you inspired fashion trends not you dress differently

there will never be a new madonna (male or female) because no one else could ever have the same upbringing and experiences that make her so unique. the bereavement and depression of her mother dying, the strict catholic childhood, the competetive drive from having so many siblings, growing up watching old hollywood films and musicals, being an authentic part of late 70s early 80s down town new york, being raped, struggling as a young dancer/artist, having an inate sexual and spiritual presence and of most importantly having a good ear for a solid pop song makes her not only talented but a truly fascinating person.

Guest Pud Whacker

im really sorry everyone missed madonnas early years and want them so bad.

when joanne tours australia, its still not madonna.

running around like dale bozzios retarded granddaughter is still not madonna.

joanne will never be madonna. she will always remain joanne.