MADONNA SoundScan Sales- 2007/2008

HolidayGuy

Guest nothingfails0603

if not for the Xmas rush, Just Whitney would've struggled for gold IMO. The album wasn't even anywhere as talked about as Glitter or American Life, it just kinda came and went

Guest nothingfails0603

The same could have been said for COADF...

COADF hit #1 and spent 37 weeks on Billboard. Hardly the dismal failure that AL, Glitter, Just Whitney and 20 Y.O. were, spent twice as long on the charts as any of those.

I wish people would stop calling COADF a flop. No, she was not Mimi, but who was in 2005? She did as good as a dance/electronic album from a 47 year old coming off the flop of her career with radio biased against her could possibly do.

COADF:

1 349,556 (350,607)

4 210,065 -40% (560,672)

8 105,367 -50% (666,039)

13 96,759 -8% (762,798)

15 123,927 +28% (886,725)

17 158,086 +28% (1,044,881)

Madonna sold over 1 million through the Christmas shopping season.

It is really easy to believe though. Just Whitney was released the second week of December. Perfect timing to squeeze in a platinum album and then drop like a rock. You don't think Just Whitney boased her highest first week sales because of a particularly strong single or something...? :thumbsup:

Oh, I know why it outsold it, and it wasn't really by much - but maybe I am just biased in thinking American Life (although a very unaccessible album) was much better than Whitney's "crack-time extravaganza."

COADF was released right before the holiday season kicked in, which was a great time frame.

JW was Whitney's highest opening in the SS era, but it did benefit from a December release.

Guest nothingfails0603

HG, I know you get Soundscan numbers for all the divas. I noticed how well LAV rebounded due to the Definitive 200 special. How did the special benefit "Control", "Whitney Houston", "Daydream" and "Off The Wall" compared to typical weeks for them since they seem to be more modest catalog sellers like LAV, as opposed to a cd like Thriller that doesn't need a special like this to keep selling? I notice that all of those are currently on sale at Meijer for $9.99 with a big promotion with many of the titles on that list.

Off the Wall and Thriller usually sell pretty decently, but they saw an increase because of that promo. The Mimi, Whitney and Janet albums didn't benefit as much as LAV (then again, their weekly sales ususally aren't as high as those for LAV).

W/E 4/15/07

Notes: The 17 albums/EPs scanned 3,685 units, down 8.27% from the prior week. The Who’s That Girl soundtrack dropped 48% to 14 units.

1. The Immaculate Collection: 1,777 (-12%)

2. Like a Virgin: 529 (-10%)

3. GHV2: 288 (-1%)

4. Something to Remember: 150 (+25%)

5. Ray of Light: 149 (-18%)

6. Madonna: 147 (+8%)

7. The Immaculate Collection (Video): 133 (+1%)

8. True Blue: 105 (+13%)

9. Erotica: 103 (+3%)

10. Ciao Italia: 93 (+1%)

11. American Life: 82 (-6%)

12. Like a Prayer: 71 (47%)

13. Music: 67 (-12%)

14. Drowned World Tour: 57 (-12%)

15. The Video Collection: 93:99: 52 (-9%)

16. Bedtime Stories: 52 (+11%)

17. You Can Dance: 50 (-21%)

18. Girlie Show: 48 (-32%)

19. I'm Breathless: 41 (+46%)

20. Remixed & Revisited: 32 (-24%)

21. Evita: 28 (-43%)

COADF-Era Sales Info

Confessions on a Dance Floor: 1,154 (-17%)- 1,624,511 cume

I’m Going to Tell You a Secret: 153 (-22%)

Jump: 130 (-17%)

Sorry: 71 (-13%)

Hung Up: 58 (-13%)

Get Together: 42 (-26%)

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

Would you be able to get Liz Phair numbers for me? I'm curious to know how whitechocolatespaceegg has sold ...

Guest nothingfails0603

Would you be able to get Liz Phair numbers for me? I'm curious to know how whitechocolatespaceegg has sold ...

if HG doesn't have the numbers for it. I'd recommend signing up on UKMix, there's a guy there named Hanboo who has access to tons of Soundscan numbers, there's a very popular Soundscan numbers thread in there where people ask him two requests a week

Guest boytoyville

COADF is getting into dangerious territory of dropping below 1,000 units. I would hate for that to happen. It would be great if Madge could have a consistent studio album seller.

COADF is getting into dangerious territory of dropping below 1,000 units. I would hate for that to happen. It would be great if Madge could have a consistent studio album seller.

it is really quite amazing it is still selling at 1,000+ per week... is 20YO still selling 1,000+ a week?

maybe COADF can manage that some more time...

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Why would COADF stay above 1,000 per week?

Its sales weren't big to begin with and its not like any of the 4 singles were huge or get good recurrent airplay.

Yes, can't forget about those super-high-sales-chart rankings. ;) At least COADF is still selling somewhat OK, all thoings considering- the Jump single is selling less than 300 units!

Guest northernlad

Poor Like A Prayer album. They should repackage it and get Starbucks to sell it. Or at least slip a few extra copies to Walmarts across the land.

76 weeks - well thats almost 1 1/2 years on? the fact that its still above 1000 - is kindof of consistent.....is there anythign that can spike sales over the next 6 months?

American Idol exposure... Live Earth... Childrens book promo...

Guest nothingfails0603

yea, the fact it's still over 1000 at this point is pretty impressive, especially since Clay Aiken's last album (which almost knocked Justin out of #1 the week it came out) sold 600 last week according to a thread I read about AI sales, and his album is barely 6 mos old and Madonna's been out for a year and a half and stopped promoting it awhile back.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

there should have been another COADF club single in the meantime.

Yes.

All 12 COADF tracks could have hit #1 on the Dance chart.

WB releases *6* (7 if you count DAD) club singles from Flopican Flop but only 4 from COADF. :rolleyes: