2007 RIAA Certifications

thebigham

Guest boytoyville

Yup, after 29 weeks on the chart.

Record companies are not paying for RIAA certifications anymore.

I don't think thats true. Almost every album on the top 200 list is up to date in it's certs. The fact of the matter is that albums aren't selling enough to warrant new certs.

Guest missy bi_tch

I don't think thats true. Almost every album on the top 200 list is up to date in it's certs. The fact of the matter is that albums aren't selling enough to warrant new certs.

sweet escape has hard sales of 700-800k so far i read somewhere...

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Yes, Gwen's latest has scanned over 1.2 million.

Its been over 1 million for a while now.

Charts/ certifications have never been more weightless than nowadays. Very different time now we're in now more than ever/ b4 the downloading era. Charts will never be the big deal they were before the early '00s

Guest nothingfails0603

only!!!! that´s really sad

well, it's a double edged sword. Sweet Escape's sales are a tad disappointing compared to L.A.M.B., but it's actually performed quite well considering the negative momentum that Wind It Up kicked the album off with. It was comparable to Loverboy, Call On Me and American Life, yet the album has managed to sell over a million and have a huge second single. When The Sweet Escape was about to come out, I think most people figured she'd sell 20 Y.O. numbers after the horrible word of mouth and a leadoff single that ranks "up there" with Loverboy and American Life.

well, it's a double edged sword. Sweet Escape's sales are a tad disappointing compared to L.A.M.B., but it's actually performed quite well considering the negative momentum that Wind It Up kicked the album off with. It was comparable to Loverboy, Call On Me and American Life, yet the album has managed to sell over a million and have a huge second single. When The Sweet Escape was about to come out, I think most people figured she'd sell 20 Y.O. numbers after the horrible word of mouth and a leadoff single that ranks "up there" with Loverboy and American Life.

I consider The sweet escape a successful album in the US, but its sales are really low, that´s why I think it´s sad, not only Gwen´s album situation, but the market´s situation

Guest Eternal Flame

In the end though Wind It Up didn't do that bad. Sure it wasn't a smash hit, but it did reach the top ten.

Also if you remember What Are You Waiting For didn't even make the top 40. Sure the album had a better word of mouth and it was her solo debut but it didn't fair much better at first either. Maybe The Sweet Escape would of done as good as L.A.M.B. if it was still 2004.

There at least 15+ albums on the BB200 that need certifying or need to be updated.

Four weeks went by recently without a new certifcation on the BB200. I follow this issue quite closely each week.

Gwen's first L.A.M.B. single would have peaked higher if digital sales were included in the Hot 100 mix at that time, but that's a side point.

As far as "Wind it Up" goes, it was an airplay disappointment, but it had decent sales (I wqouldn't liken it to "Loverboy," which, in a practically non-existent singles-sales market at the time, was heavily discounted and peaked at No. 2 because of that).

Certifications have really dropped since March:

The RIAA awarded a total of two Multi-Platinum, one Platinum and six Gold albums in May.

The RIAA awarded a total of three Multi-Platinum, one Platinum and three Gold albums in April.

The RIAA awarded a total of four multi-Platinum, nine Platinum and 11 Gold albums in March.

Albums that can be re-certified on the BB200:

PUS.SYCAT DOLLS PCD 2,747,000, yet 1xp

FERGIE DUTCHESS 2,081,470, yet 1xp

FURTADO*NELLY LOOSE 1,847,651, yet 1xp

MCGRAW*TIM VOL. 2-GREATEST HITS 1,815,592, yet 1xp

Uncertified albums on the BB200:

Sales figures from 7/07 chart...

Michael Buble 678,306, 8 weeks on

Ne-Yo 574,930, 8 weeks on

Now 24 906,014, 13 weeks on

Timbaland 396,266, 12 weeks on

Nine Inch Nails 387,378, 10 weeks on

Gym Class Heroes 392,742, 28 weeks on

Martina McBride 416,770, 12 weeks on

Dashboard Confessional 477,890, 22 weeks on

Snow Patrol 1,018,858, 59 weeks on

U2 724,639, 27 weeks on

Albums that can be re-certified on the BB200:

PUS.SYCAT DOLLS PCD 2,747,000, yet 1xp

FERGIE DUTCHESS 2,081,470, yet 1xp

FURTADO*NELLY LOOSE 1,847,651, yet 1xp

MCGRAW*TIM VOL. 2-GREATEST HITS 1,815,592, yet 1xp

Uncertified albums on the BB200:

Sales figures from 7/07 chart...

Michael Buble 678,306, 8 weeks on

Ne-Yo 574,930, 8 weeks on

Now 24 906,014, 13 weeks on

Timbaland 396,266, 12 weeks on

Nine Inch Nails 387,378, 10 weeks on

Gym Class Heroes 392,742, 28 weeks on

Martina McBride 416,770, 12 weeks on

Dashboard Confessional 477,890, 22 weeks on

Snow Patrol 1,018,858, 59 weeks on

U2 724,639, 27 weeks on

WOW! I didn't realize it had gotten this bad. Timbaland's CD has Give It To Me, which was a huge hit and it still hasn't hit 500k?? It seems to be getting worse quicker too, by the time Madonna releases her CD, even if it is in the peak holiday season, it's not likely it'll even match COADF sales. :dramatic:

• 2 weeks later...

www.riaa.com

July 17, 2007

The Time is Now

Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, and Linkin Park Swiftly Earn Gold & Platinum

WASHINGTON – The heralded spring releases by Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, and Linkin Park wasted no time earning Gold and Platinum certification, according to the June tally of Gold and Platinum certifications by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

After her first foray in film providing the voiceover of a possum in the animated film Over the Hedge, RCA recording artist Avril Lavigne returned to the studio for her third album and 2007 release of The Best Damn Thing. Skyrocketing to the top of the Billboard charts the week of its release, this “damn” good album also surged past a million copies earning Platinum certification. Lavigne also brought home a Gold Mastertone award for the ubiquitous first track on the album entitled “Girlfriend”.

It Won’t Be Soon Before Long is Maroon 5’s aptly–named, recently-released studio album, and the A&M recording artists latest album wasted no time certifying Gold and Platinum. In support of this release, the band just announced their It Won’t Be Soon Before Long world tour dates for this fall.

It’s been seven years since rock artists Linkin Park released their Diamond selling debut album Hybrid Theory. The eagerly anticipated fourth offering on Warner Brothers, Minutes to Midnight, quickly certified Gold and Platinum this month, demonstrating that this band has not lost its touch.

It’s been a typically busy season for Gwen Stefani. Her new album, Sweet Escape, has sold more than a million copies, certifying it Gold and Platinum. All this in addition to selling her own limited edition fashion dolls, giving birth to a baby boy, and touring with Akon to promote the new album. Sweet Escape is her second solo album and features collaborations with The Neptunes as well as her tour opener Akon. Gwen’s solo debut album Love, Angel, Music, Baby is currently certified triple Platinum.

All the Right Reasons by Canadian rockers Nickelback surpassed the six million mark this month matching the success of their 2001 release, Silver Side Up. This Roadrunner release includes their Gold certified single, “Photograph” as well as the chart topping singles, “Savin’ Me’” and “Far Away”. Nickelback is currently on tour with Daughtry whose self-titled debut album was certified triple Platinum.

British rock band Snow Patrol received their first ever Gold record for their A&M release Eyes Open. Opening for U2’s Vertigo tour along with the mass appeal of the Billboard charttopping single “Chasing Cars”, helped propel this band to their first certification.

J Records recording artist Fantasia earned her second RIAA certified album for selling more than 500,000 copies of her R&B sophomore release Fantasia. Fantasia added actress to her resume after starring in the Broadway musical The Color Purple and a Lifetime TV movie based on her life, “Life is Not a Fairy Tale.”

Included in the RIAA tally of June certifications are first time Platinum digital single awards for rapper Jim Jones’ “We Fly High” and country artists Rascal Flatts’ “What Hurts the Most”. In addition, Justin Timberlake received his first triple Platinum Master Ringtone award for the hit single “Sexy Back” alongside Beyonce’s double Platinum Master Ringtone “Irreplaceable” and rapper T-Pain’s Master Ringtone, “Buy U A Drank (Shawty Snappin’)”.

The RIAA awarded a total of three Multi-Platinum, eight Platinum and 11 Gold albums in June. All certifications are calculated by Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman. Complete lists of all album, single, and video awards can also be accessed at www.riaa.com.

Laura Doud

Jenny Alves

Jonathan Lamy

(202) 775-0101

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 4 weeks since we had new certifications on the Billboard 200.

New RIAA certifications:

Fergie 2xp

Amy Winehouse 1xp

White Stripes Gold

Plain White T's Gold

Michael Buble 1xp

R Kelly 1xp

Fabolous Gold

Hilary Duff Gold

WOW! I didn't realize it had gotten this bad. Timbaland's CD has Give It To Me, which was a huge hit and it still hasn't hit 500k?? It seems to be getting worse quicker too, by the time Madonna releases her CD, even if it is in the peak holiday season, it's not likely it'll even match COADF sales. :dramatic:

I don't think you can really say that. Most know Timberland as a producer not a singer, he doesn't have a following like that. Look at that umbrella girl, hit single...album doing okay. A hit song does not always mean huge record sales. Elliott Y from AI is another example. Madonna has a HUGE following and I do believe the album will be more successful on radio this time around which will likely sell as good, if not better than COADF. Two moderate hits at radio and spins on VH1 will do just fine.

Guest nothingfails0603

why have the record labels changed so much? Several years ago, the industry couldn't wait to recertify an album above what it's really sold, and now you can sell 3.3 million and still be certified double platinum or even just platinum. Why have the labels changed so much from the days when 5 million sales would give you an 8x platinum album?

Guest Eternal Flame

why have the record labels changed so much? Several years ago, the industry couldn't wait to recertify an album above what it's really sold, and now you can sell 3.3 million and still be certified double platinum or even just platinum. Why have the labels changed so much from the days when 5 million sales would give you an 8x platinum album?

Well music club sales were huge in the 90s and would sometimes sell millions of copies through music clubs. They don't count for soundscan, but they do for the RIAA. So that's why you see an album that sold like 7.5 million through soundscan but is 10x platinum through the RIAA. But I don't know why labels don't certify like they used to.

The labels aren't making big profits now that album sales are down. They are being cheap with new certifications.

Gwen Stefani's LAMB album should have been certified 4xp when her latest album was certified 1xp. It has sold 3.9 million yet it is still 3xp.

Guest Qbanito21

The labels aren't making big profits now that album sales are down. They are being cheap with new certifications.

Gwen Stefani's LAMB album should have been certified 4xp when her latest album was certified 1xp. It has sold 3.9 million yet it is still 3xp.

yes it should have, it doesnt make any sense. it's sold more than what was shipped? i don't think so...

• 1 month later...

The following albums are waiting for RIAA certifications:

9/08 chart:

Sales figures from the 9/01 chart...

Hannah Montana 1,086k

Now 25 647k

Hairspray Sdtk 423k

T.I. 940k

Rihanna 569k

T-Pain 576k

Brad Paisley 514k

Timbaland 556k

Kelly Clarkson 603k

Toby Keith 477k

Ne-Yo 749k

Paul McCartney 511k

The Police 262k (2 cd album)

Now 24 1,003k

Martina McBride 467k

U2 759k

Albums only on the BB200 for 5+ weeks are listed.

• 1 month later...

New RIAA certifications:

Hannah Montana 2 2xp

High School Musical 2 2xp

Nickelback 7xp

Colbie Calliat Gold

Not that any of the albums listed deserved to sell what they have, but this is just disgusting. Nickelback better thank their lucky stars for Wal-Mart, Nascar lovin rednecks!! :)

Guest Eternal Flame

Not that any of the albums listed deserved to sell what they have, but this is just disgusting. Nickelback better thank their lucky stars for Wal-Mart, Nascar lovin rednecks!! :)

Hasn't Nickelback been releasing singles/promoting this one album since 2005?