The Erotica Video: Uncensored

Guest Pud Whacker

This original press sheet surfaced a few years ago

image.jpg

I can't find the uncropped sheet, it's out there somewhere

Says there was a physical video release for both Erotica and Bad Girl, both being x-rated.

I don't know how real it is. As according to Shep's Erotica diaries, Goodbye to Innocence was already out of the picture by the time Fever was recorded. So I find the tracklist and the whole thing questionable.....

No - this version was never aired on MTV in the US.

This was slated to be the video-single that was supposed to be released but with all the back-lash of sex etc, it was shelved. I have the promo vhs of this.

Guest Rocco Papa

No - this version was never aired on MTV in the US.

This was slated to be the video-single that was supposed to be released but with all the back-lash of sex etc, it was shelved. I have the promo vhs of this.

Wow! Where did you get it? I remember seeing an Erotica VHS on listed Amazon a while ago, but I never bought it.

This original press sheet surfaced a few years ago

I can't find the uncropped sheet, it's out there somewhere

Says there was a physical video release for both Erotica and Bad Girl, both being x-rated.

I don't know how real it is. As according to Shep's Erotica diaries, Goodbye to Innocence was already out of the picture by the time Fever was recorded. So I find the tracklist and the whole thing questionable.....

Whoop - I thought that GTI was orignally slated for release until Fever came into the picture last minute and they basically took the beat of GTI for it so essentially they swapped GTI with Fever.

Wow! Where did you get it? I remember seeing an Erotica VHS on listed Amazon a while ago, but I never bought it.

My cousin worked for a music video production house. Completely blanking on the name but its the one that represented Mark Romanek and Jonas Aukerland at that time. This was like 2003ish or whenever the Hollywood video had come out.

Anyway, I asked her to get me Madonna videos. Through some bartering with the archives guy, she was able to get me a giant box of madonna promo videos. There was good stuff but nothing as good as that Erotica promo vid. They're all sitting around somewhere still.

A

Edited by pourhomme80

This is from Nightshade's excellent timeline thread:

August 14: Madonna attends a Peggy Lee cabaret show at Club 53 in the NY Hilton tonight (Liz Smith).

August 15: Pettibone says that “Goodbye to Innocence” wasn’t working. He worked overnight on a new bassline that he brought into Soundworks (NYC) today and it seemed to fix the problem. However, when Madonna started putting down the vocal track, she started toying with the lyrics and started singing the words to “Fever.” He says it sounded so good they decided to actually cover the tune. Madonna called Seymour Stein and in less than an hour, they had the lyrics to the Peggy Lee original. This was the last track they did for Erotica. (The Erotica Diaries, Shep Pettibone)

Personal note: I find this particularly interesting...she attends a Peggy Lee show the night before and the next day - bam! - "Fever" is reborn as a Madonna track. Just goes to show you how much can change with her in the drop of a hat. happy.gif

So the press release looks fake as GTI wasn't working was replaced.

I do also remember talk of an Erotica VHS release like JML but it was so much harder to get information, I don't remember seeing anything in print.

Guest Rocco Papa

My cousin worked for a music video production house. Completely blanking on the name but its the one that represented Mark Romanek and Jonas Aukerland at that time. This was like 2003ish or whenever the Hollywood video had come out.

Anyway, I asked her to get me Madonna videos. Through some bartering with the archives guy, she was able to get me a giant box of madonna promo videos. There was good stuff but nothing as good as that Erotica promo vid. They're all sitting around somewhere still.

A

That's so cool! :thumbsup:

Guest Rocco Papa

I was so excited when it came on at midnight erotica is one of my favorite dance songs of madonna I love confessions tour thrill me mix love to see that posted

:thumbsup:

Sadly, MTV US wouldn't show this version. The edit (with black bars over the hitchhiking scene) found on the Celebration DVD is the exact version shown by MTV preceded by a warning from Kurt Loder:

(@ 0:24)

Of course, for all of their sanitization efforts, her nipples sill made it in the video during the post-bridge flashing segment...

evidnipples.png

The above "uncensored" cut was likely what would have been included on the canceled video single.

OMG those teaser clips. I remember like it was yesterday. I played them over and over and over again.

Guest Rocco Papa

Love you RoccoPapa Love her voice and dancing in this performance makes me melt !!!!!!!!!

This is one of her best ever tour performances. The choreography is supreme!

I totally agree. I'll never forget the summer of 2006 when I first heard this version. I was absolutely blown away!

Pre-internet, it was listed in those Muze computerized music, book and video title catalogs at every mall and chain record store in America (and possibly abroad) with an October 27, 1992 release date, one week after the album/book. It was distinctly classified, in addition to the various audio formats, as a VHS tape with an approximate running time of 4 minutes. I tried to order that fucker at least 10 times before giving up. Drove me crazy. It stayed in their database but was finally updated to say "unavailable" around 1999. :D

I feel your pain, Mattress. I didn't see this video for 10 years and the uncensored one only a few years ago on Youtube finally. I can't believe the uncensored version would've ever been played on MTV. Anyway, it's a masterpiece.

This is from Nightshade's excellent timeline thread:

August 14: Madonna attends a Peggy Lee cabaret show at Club 53 in the NY Hilton tonight (Liz Smith).

August 15: Pettibone says that “Goodbye to Innocence” wasn’t working. He worked overnight on a new bassline that he brought into Soundworks (NYC) today and it seemed to fix the problem. However, when Madonna started putting down the vocal track, she started toying with the lyrics and started singing the words to “Fever.” He says it sounded so good they decided to actually cover the tune. Madonna called Seymour Stein and in less than an hour, they had the lyrics to the Peggy Lee original. This was the last track they did for Erotica. (The Erotica Diaries, Shep Pettibone)

Personal note: I find this particularly interesting...she attends a Peggy Lee show the night before and the next day - bam! - "Fever" is reborn as a Madonna track. Just goes to show you how much can change with her in the drop of a hat. happy.gif

So the press release looks fake as GTI wasn't working was replaced.

I do also remember talk of an Erotica VHS release like JML but it was so much harder to get information, I don't remember seeing anything in print.

Interesting!

I have a feeling that press release is real though. Remember "Goodbye To Innocence" was on the album when Vogue USA had a review copy. The song is specifically mentioned in their October 1992 Madonna interview, a few lines of lyrics are even quoted.

Back then I remember getting that magazine (in the UK) after I already had the album - and I couldn't work out what the hell they were talking about with regards that album song! It took another 2 years for me to find out for sure ("Just Say Roe" in 1994).

I have always loved GTI, it's amazing. It fits perfectly amongst the tracks with the more Jazz/House type elements. In context with the rest of the record it probably doesn't stand out as much as some of the other stronger tracks as it's structured very similarly (spoken verses, scratchy, single vocal choruses) so it's easy in that respect to see why it never made the cut. As a stand alone track it's very impressive and a treasure for us fans and I feel very lucky to own it in good quality on CD but I never understood the official reason for canning the track because to me it doesn't sound anything like what we now know as Fever. Would have made an amazing proper B Side instead of that crap Up Down Suit on the Rain maxi. Warners made a dumb move with that one, one of many.