Madonna Instagram thread continued: the queen continues to defy social media rules

Apples388

^^^ quite a fair article with the writer claiming indifference to all the stupid BS about M being a racist and suggesting that social media is completely different to releasing shocking music videos

I agree with you Chelle

The pointless anger directed in this forum of recent is scary.

And I agree with you once more

Guest SUNLIGHT

Madonna: How the control queen lost her touch when media went social

Madonna’s pictures of Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela don’t show she’s racist – just that she really doesn’t have much idea how social media works

Madonna-010.jpg

Madonna: ‘Obviously there is a person, or a group of people, behind this that were essentially terrorising me.’ Photograph: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

Peter Robinson

Monday 5 January 2015 09.44 GMT

Shares

Comments

Madonna is the original queen of pop media. Naturally she reigned at radio, but as she made her name, her print and TV interviews were also incendiary. Then, as the MTV generation’s breakout star, she helped define the concept of modern pop video.

Even when the internet was becoming popular she found a way to own it and have fun with it. Her 2000 webcast from the Brixton Academy in London – during which she namechecked the white hot online forum Popbitch – broke viewing records at a point when most fans were still on dialup. In 2003, when her American Life album was being shared on peer-to-peer networks, she uploaded a fake file asking pirates “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

Media training is a part of any sensible new popstar’s pre-launch fitness regime, but Madonna didn’t need it. She wrote the bloody book on it.

Then about eight years ago, social media came along. For some time Madonna was conspicuous by absence. Her reluctance to get involved was, in its own way, quietly incredible – but one’ still wondered: how amazing would be if Madonna one day simply appeared on Twitter?

One day in 2012 she did just that. By the following year, her Instagram account was also in full flow. At times her updates have been brilliant – one picture from May 2013 came with the caption “Cleaning up before the Met Ball”, and showed a fully glammed-up Madonna wielding a vacuum cleaner in her bathroom.

More recently, though, with a new album on the horizon, Madonna’s social accounts have become a hashtag-strewn, meme-littered jamboree of misfires through which the image Madonna spent three decades refining has begun to unravel.

Advertisement

She called herself “ratchet” (a term for someone who is, as Urban Dictionary puts it, “out of hand, out of control”), but spelt it “ratchit”, just as she misspelled the name of Avicii, the young producer with whom she was working. These attempts to be down with the kids have instead hinted that, actually, at 56, she might be completely out of touch. One spoof account, @madonnafanfic, imagines Madonna’s daughter Lourdes constantly disconnecting the home Internet in the hope of saving her mum’s career. That may not be too far from the truth: Madonna has admitted that her kids are effectively A&Ring the sonic direction of her new album.

All eyes were on Madonna just before Christmas when more than 20 demos for her next album, Rebel Heart, were leaked online. Most were works in progress; the release of Rebel Heart hadn’t even been announced. It was an unprecedented security breach for an artist of Madonna’s stature, but when she used social media to liken it all to rape and terrorism, she began to test even fans’ patience.

Suddenly the pop icon who little over a decade earlier faced leaked music in a way that was funny, smart and aggressive, was uploading a picture of a broken iPod as “a symbol of my broken heart”. Madonna, pop’s most brilliant control freak, was no longer in control. Rather than asking “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” and windmilling her way into a fight, she was assuming the role of victim.

This weekend, things got even worse. After the Rebel Heart leaks, Madonna had begun flooding Instagram (and Twitter) with images of history’s “rebel hearts”. Echoing Madonna’s new album’s artwork, faces were doctored so they were covered in black straps. Marilyn Monroe, Jesus and Salvador Dali mingled with Homer Simpson, Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, each figuratively (and graphically) roped into Madonna’s social media marketing campaign whether they liked it or not. Then on Friday night, in one eight-minute burst, Madonna uploaded defaced images of Nelson Mandela, Bob Marley and Martin Luther King, and social media decided enough was enough.

Many were offended by the most recent trio of images: Madonna was racist, they said, and this was just another example of Madonna hijacking black culture to flog records. Cultural appropriation, a topic Madonna didn’t have to deal with during those heady days when normal people couldn’t make their voices heard, was suddenly an issue.

Meanwhile, Twitter being Twitter, other users opted to tweet their own “rebel hearts”, including Deirdre Barlow and Lisa Scott-Lee from Steps, as well as latticed desserts (#rebeltart) and fish (#rebelcarp). Interestingly, even from many of those making accusations of racism, Madonna’s social media missives hadn’t prompted much anger. Instead, the response was a global, rather weary social media eyeroll.

Some Madonna fans are claiming this is nothing new, because Madonna has always been shocking. But once upon a time it was the people she shocked who looked stupid, and Madonna did what she did on purpose. She knew what she was doing with the lyrics of Papa Don’t Preach, with the video for Like a Prayer, with the Erotica era, with the Sex book. Accidentally blundering into cultural appropriation rows isn’t controlling the media, any more than accidentally shitting yourself in the queue at Tesco is displaying masterful bowel control.

Many of Madonna’s fans, who once had revelled in the star’s ability to make an older generation huff, tut and shake its collective head, have now turned into their own parents: they’re not angry with Madonna, just disappointed. And it is slightly heartbreaking that Madonna, an artist who made her name through an intuitive grasp of almost every major trend and zeitgeist fluctuation, is so crap at social media.

Still, at least the new music’s good.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jan/05/madonna-control-queen-social-media-rebel-heart

Another pointless crap article from the UK media. Next!

There is one angle running through many of these "articles" that they keep repeating, and it is that Madonna is "out of touch" with the current times. She does not understand the new era of technology and social media. They are trying to portray her to the public, specifically the younger audience, as a kind of "Grandma" who's been given a smart phone and doesn't really understand what to do with it. They really have a problem with Madonna on the internet, reaching the people without a filter. That's what this is all about. As far as I'm concerned, I don't know a celebrity who makes better use of social media than Madonna.

I can't even deal with any of this anymore. Everything was so wonderful before this stupid instagram shit. The songs came out and I was so excited and this has just ruined that.

Hurry up and do something Madonna so we can move on from this CRAP. I've given up on people liking Madonna cause half the population are fucking dumb cunts. Ugh!!!!

I just want the era to start so us fans can all enjoy it.

Madonna's Instagram is the only that gets so much attention from Media. The woman provokes!! We have seen long ass articles over 30 years about M either ridiculing her or praising her. It's nothing really new.

Yes Madonna doesn't understand social media like all us savvy web 2.0ers.

103sqo5.jpg

I can point you to the numbers of young people (celebrities or otherwise) and corporations that have fallen afoul of it.

It has nothing to do with the medium - it's the people's reactions and this fad of being offended by anything on behalf of anyone that is the problem.

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna's Instagram is the only that gets so much attention from Media. The woman provokes!! We have seen long ass articles over 30 years about M either ridiculing her or praising her. It's nothing really new.

Bingo. Its actually surprising to see fans get so amped up about negative press. Shes been getting it since day one. I missed all the LAV, LAP, Sex etc stuff but shes fared a lot worse than a few websites most of them no ones even heard of writing dumb stories to get clicks. So much drama over something so small. Imagine if there was a REAL controversy

I personally dont see whats so shocking about her instagram. Must fly above my head.

Exactly.

It's not like she's denying the holocaust or calling the prophet Mohammad a pedophile. :dazed:

I'd like her to do something really shocking to put it all into perspective, like wearing black face while calling a down syndrome kid a retard.

I don't dislike what she posts I just sometimes find it embarrassing what she writes. Like that article said she spelled ratchet wrong (which I remember). I cringed.

Just lately I'm finding her posts rather irritating because I know people take what she posts the wrong way and I wish she would take that into consideration. No not everyone has to love her but. Eh I don't know where I'm going with this 😂

To be fair though I am extremely critical of people on instagram 😂 I hate when people post pictures that are really pixelated. It makes me want to throw my phone

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't dislike what she posts I just sometimes find it embarrassing what she writes. Like that article said she spelled ratchet wrong (which I remember). I cringed.

Just lately I'm finding her posts rather irritating because I know people take what she posts the wrong way and I wish she would take that into consideration. No not everyone has to love her but. Eh I don't know where I'm going with this

See I found it funny when she spelt ratchet wrong and when she uses slang out of context. :lmao: I love how shes added "fleek" into her vocab now :dead:

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly.

It's not like she's denying the holocaust or calling the prophet Mohammad a pedophile. :dazed:

I'd like her to do something really shocking to put it all into perspective, like wearing black face while calling a down syndrome kid a retard.

:dead:

I remember one of her first pics with her hat as a moustache, I thought she was gonna be so funny and witty

Guys you don't see it but it's not for nothing she made the news quite a few times now

Do u remember when she used the n word?

And u still don't see it?

It's too much

See I found it funny when she spelt ratchet wrong and when she uses slang out of context. :lmao: I love how shes added "fleek" into her vocab now :dead:

Hahaha I do laugh because to me it's funny but I also cringe because I know people won't get her and that frustrates me! I know I shouldn't care...

People's attitude need to change, not what Madonna posts. The lady is pushing buttons people! Just over a week ago, she posed topples and IT was all over Media! The woman is fighting ageism.

I seem to recall she was an ASTOUNDING hit on AMA on REDDIT for her wit and dry humor (send photo). So now she's being criticised and misunderstood for said dry humor? How quickly people fall out of favour.

Let's use the AMA REDDIT as a barometer for how 'successful' she is on social media, or really, the fact that people are once again up in arms over her instagram - isn't that what success is on social media , being talked about, the object of discourse. Getting a bit angry here.

It's the we get her and them don't get thing and yes It is frustrating but it's been like this since the beginning. She provokes!

When SEX came out, I remember shows all about her and were rediculing her. She was on the hated list!! The Like a prayer video!! Pepsi pull the plug on her!! Bad press over the Girlie show (piers moron) and yet people still got on to see her in concerts. This is a non "scandal".

I love her Instagram, she's the only celebrity I follow, but I just wish she was a bit more careful with what she posts

How could she post this is beyond me, she looks amazing but the other pic is disturbing!

madonna-martin-luther-kin-jr-controversy

Why is it disturbing?

Martin Luther King would not give in to hate. He put everything on the line and stayed true to what he knew was right, no matter what the criticism, no matter what the ridicule, no matter what the hate. He was definitely a rebel with a heart. He wouldn't give in to his opressors and he wouldn't give in to hate. That is what I see when I see that picture.

I feel like I am explaining the obvious.

Yes indeed she does provoke! I just can't get my head around how one minute she's the toast of the town, celebrated for being tres cool chic - the interview pics, wise, witty, charming, and the next minute being stripped to pieces and proclaimed racist and out of touch. Fickle, fickle media.

I remember one of her first pics with her hat as a moustache, I thought she was gonna be so funny and witty

Guys you don't see it but it's not for nothing she made the news quite a few times now

Do u remember when she used the n word?

And u still don't see it?

It's too much

Why are you always having a go at every thing Madonna does ? You seem to get offended very easily to be honest.

It could be easily perceived as insulting and racist, Mandela's pic was even more disturbing

Anything can be perceived as insulting and racist because people are stupid (or malicious). If Madonna should shut up because people feel offended with nothing, she would never open her mouth again. "Oh no, that's not me" ;)