Help! People Calling Madonna Old

Shane

Hello! So today I posted a fun little thing on my Facebook listing what I think of as the three most ridiculous statements of the year. I put something about minimum wage, something about the nurse who was quarantined for Ebola, and at number three I listed ignorant people who say that Madonna is old, then I added in parentheses "At 56? Really?"

So my boss, who has quite a temper, starts bellowing at me that I am being disingenuous and that "no one has said that Madonna is old." I was telling him that people say it all the time, that she prompts healthy discussions about ageism, etc. but he just kept hollering "no one has said she is old; show me where they have!" like a damn lunatic. He said that the millions of comments people leave in internet threads don't count. I brought up the blog that was written on Forbes after the Super Bowl, responding to the ageism Madonna faced, and he just bellowed: "That's a response! Show me where someone SAID IT!"

Can anyone please help me with some sources of ignorant people blogging or writing about or saying on TV that the queen is old, so I can shut him down.

Thanks and much love!

I love that article, Gus! I was showing him that one, and he was like "that is someone defending her," not seeming to understand that they are defending her from ageism. Kept saying over and over that no one has ever called her old. My own brother has, so I think I would know.

It's ok they too will get old and wrinkles but without Madonna's money :rotfl: karma is a bitch and these haters will face the "old", but on the other hand when Madonna acts age appropriate she's been called fake and Lady of the Manor, she can't win either way so fuck 'em!

They were calling her old even before she turned 40 . I remember the Johnathan Ross interview where he asked her about it and she replied " What are you supposed to do ? Just DIE after 40 ? " .

Yeah who cares, but she is old in the grand scheme of pop music. It's extremely rare for a 56 year old to be relevant and still making original music, especially pop music, let alone a woman, and ESPECIALLY on the scale of Madonna. I say embrace her being "old", it's a badge of honour for her, still going as strong as she is.

I find people in their 40s, 50s and 60s to look more beautiful than youthful 20 and 30 somethings. I think it's the life experience and how they take care of themselves. I don't get the demonizing of Madonna's age or calling her a grandma. She certainly takes better care of herself than other certain pop stars I won't mention here.

People have been calling Madonna old since 1992. Who cares? Just say "yes, yes" and move on.

Am

en

That is like the only thing people ever point out about Madonna. It's kind of rude to call someone old, especially a woman. Some kids need maners!

I find both men and women point out her age. Have seen a lot of shows where middle aged male presenters/personalities have harped on about her age in a negative judging way and female co-hosts have pulled them into line. These same males have then raved about the likes of Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger etc and their young model girlfriends with pride. I don't think it is really exclusive to either gender, but rather just judgemental people.

The ONLY thing anyone has against Madonna is that she's old. They're simple minded folk. Who cares what they say? They've always been around and will always be around.

Madonna is out there, making billions by doing what SHE loves, and NOT by being a manufactured pop-star who was created to please the masses. She's out there opening schools and hospitals in some seriously fucked up countries doing things that I can't even being to imagine to positively impact people who really need it. And people choose to talk about her veins and wrinkles...

100 years from now people will remember Madonna for the huge ass balls that she had, not her veins. They will say "I can't believe people tried to bring her down by talking about her wrinkles, what the fuck was wrong with society back then."

I think the way people respond to someone or their own selves being called old dignifies the thoughtless attempt at ridicule. They are just using"old." If the group setting or the culture didn't view old negatively they would simply use something else. If we get upset at someone simply being called old are we agreeing with critics that "old" is an insult?

Our culture has become increasingly throwaway since the mid fifties concerning objects and anything deemed "old." I wonder as time went on whether people (especially women) haven't been objectified regarding their age? The way people talk about the "new Madonna" all the time and constantly trying to convince people that we need a new one is perfect example of how older women and men have now been reduced to objects instead of people and also an example of how nasty Madonna's critics are. They are using "old" now to not only get to the general public but also to the weakness of her fans. Many whether they admit it or not or whether it's unconscious or not have a problem with Madonna getting older.

They never admit to it or even entertain the idea but think of how they can relieve their own issue and put it all on Madonna in a lot of their recent criticism.

And mostly older women.

UGLY older women who look like trolls!

Funny these women have the audacity to make fun of Madonna's age and appearance when they could easily pass off like something that lives under a bridge. What's even funnier is that these women are like 10 years younger than M herself.

Edited by CallMeRV