Let me cover you with velvet kisses
I'll create a look that's made for you

[chorus]

Gonna dress you up in my love, in my love
All over your body, all over your body
In my love
All over, all over
From your head down to your toes
The 4th and final single from the Like A Virgin album finds our lady comparing her love to luxurious clothing which was a perfect metaphor for someone who is a fashion icon. This song landed M on the PMRC's (Parent Music Resource Center) "Dirty 15" list in the 80s along with other dirty ditties such as Prince's Darling Nikki and Cyndi Lauper's She Bop (See complete list: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2012/06/pmrc_dirty_15.php )
Actually though the lyrics are suggestive, I don't find it all that explicit even for it's time but I think Madonna was a target mostly because of her live performances and revealing outfits. M actually has no writing credits on this song - it was written by songwriters Andrea LaRusso and Peggy Stanziale-but she really sells it and delivers the innuendo in the song's lyrics perfectly.
Favorite lyric: Let me cover you with velvet kisses
Favorite Musical Part : The 4 drum beats at the beginning
Favorite Vocal Part: "All over your body"
One Word That Sums Up This Song: Sensual
Favorite Live Performance: The Virgin Tour

I'm very proud to say that I was one those 'Wannabes' just like the ones in the beginning of this version of the video...

I may be bold enough to post a pic someday.

dress+you+up+by+gabriele.png

This picture was on the very first Madonna t-shirt I was given. I got it as part of my Christmas presents that year and still have it.

I love Dress you up. One of the gems off the Like a Virgin Album. I also remember copying her dance steps and routines from the concert video. Just love this era so much.

Well timed for this time of the year. The single was released in the UK much later than the US and we got this festive 7"!

Love this song and love the VT version. One of her best live performances ever. I love the way she changes the key of 'let me cover you with velvet kisses'!

Madonna-Dress-You-Up-5819.jpg

I made a mixtape for a friend when I was a kid, my english was nonexistent and I didn't know the name of this song, so I made one up. I'm embarrassed by it now, but the name made sense to me as a 6 or 7 year old who didn't know English lmao.

God I can't even type it out right now lmaoo

I remember when I first saw the video, the Virgin Tour opening, and all the wannabes in the audience, and then, you hear her voice and WOW there she is on stage, so beautiful smile and colorful ensemble.I loved her more and more !!

Guest Pud Whacker

I'm very proud to say that I was one those 'Wannabes' just like the ones in the beginning of this version of the video...

I may be bold enough to post a pic someday.

um, yeah - HELLO?!!! post it now!!!

---

Dress You Up is perfection. From the pounding drums in the beginning to that glorious voice. deep in the versus and high pitched in the chorus!!!

and then, of course, the video.

its all just TOO MUCH fabulousness!!!

xo