Ex FGTH frontman: "Madonna saw Relax as a blueprint"

XXL

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread... Holly Johnson is like God to me. His voice is in my top3 along with Neil Tennant and John Legend. He's a great songwriter, so charismatic and his battle against AIDS is so inspiring. And yes, FGTH were the kings of controversy. Who else has the balls to print the instruction on how to fist someone properly on the sleeve of their first single? I mean, really? ICONIC.

It upsets me to see so many people here use the 'Oh I don't know him' card, it's what GaGa fans do. What's so good about being ignorant? They've sold millions of their records in the UK, they're hardly t.A.T.u or whatever.

With that being said, I don't really see his influence on Madonna at all but he's entitled to his opinion.

Well most people here know very well who he is. It's just that more than an opinion it seems another ploy to get some publicity using the same name-dropping technique that most people who had like 2 or 3 real hits in their entire career are inclined to use. I think Suzanne Vega was another example of this in regards to Madonna a few months ago. Not that I'm comparing the impact that Relax had vs Luka's by the way.

I have a feeling Holly doesn't even actually believe what he's saying. It feels like one of those odd, random, non factual remarks on Madonna who have the sole purpose of grabbing some attention, that's all :lol:

XXL, I agree with you that Relax had nothing to do with what M was doing. But I think we shouldn't disregard Holly (or anyone else, really, bar the obvious offenders) just because he believes so. That's what I was saying.

I find Relax still controversial lol, it must have been really shocking at that time

In the beginning it wasn't but then got banned by a radio one dj Mike Reid who refused to play it which sent it straight to no.1 where it stayed for weeks. The video helped fuel the controversy. It is a classic song though. It was the first time a song had been banned which made it such a big deal. However two tribes seemed an even bigger controversy as they had two men pretending to be Reagan and Breshnev fighting and the ear biting scene was a huge scandal. I could never understand why as it's not that outrageous but I think the press were happy to go along with the hype though. But it really was a massive scandal at the time. Even the cover was outrageous then with the leather outfits.

It's hard to say how much influence on M it had but they may have met so who knows.

Chelle,

Have a guess what the line 'hit me with your laser beams' mean :)

It's probably true but it's only one influence. She would have seen the same reactions elsewhere as well including in stars that date well before FGTH (eg Elvis and his hip swivelling was considered overtly sexual and controversial.) This guy is giving himself and his one hit way too much credit.

I think he's just mentioning that cause he's talking about himself. If they mentioned other controversial stars of the time and before him, he would've mentioned those too.

What he's implying is Madonna's way of seeing how something could be a big deal way ahead of the curve. I think its a compliment towards Madonna and in NO WAY is he saying that Madonna thought of his song and then just was sexual cause of Relax. She already knew what she was gonna do AND as someone else stated has done way more than just use her sexuality.

Her sexuality was a way to draw her audience in and she knew it would work...especially if she played a sorta dumb, kinda messy street-chic girl...and if she did it well and measured it with solid pop songs, she'd really have something...but that's just the beginning of Madonna's legacy.

Guest bluejean

Do you really think she was that contrived and calculating? I really don't. In those days I don't think the publics reaction was that predictable. I think she just did what she decided to do with a desire to be sexual and provocative like Prince and others but I don't think she or even Freddy knew it was going to work as well as it did. There was a level of risk and uncertainty.

I don't at all believe she contrived the provocativeness. From all accounts she was a sexual and vivacious person in her personal life pre-fame so why should we not expect that to come out in her music and public image.

Hmmm....I wouldn't be surprised if she noted the impact of Relax but I'd question the extent to which it really influenced her, as their sound and aesthetic were quite different to anything she did during the 80s.

I don't at all believe she contrived the provocativeness. From all accounts she was a sexual and vivacious person in her personal life pre-fame so why should we not expect that to come out in her music and public image.

Yes totally. I have never seen Madonna as contrived at all. I think she has become a bit more guarded now but only because of the constant analysis and judging by certain parts of the media and public.