Is Madonna more accepting of her past now?

Aime

It's a rather fascinating topic IMO. I guess right until MDNA Madonna was all about what's next, but that album kind of ushered in a whole new era where M wasn't as dismissive of her past as before. Obviously she's always been proud of her work but seeing how she posts outtakes from the Rio session on Instagram and recreates the iconic Coke bottle moment for her new calendar, I can't help feeling that something's changed. I remember one of her friends saying that she cannot look back and enjoy her success sometimes, and I think that's what she's doing now (and I cannot be happier for her). So what happened? Why do you think M is more willing to look back nowadays?

Yeah, I think nostalgia is a by-product of getting older for all of us, and even Madonna isn't immune to that. It's clear in a lot of her posts about her kids growing up so fast etc. I like seeing that from her and I hope it begins to translate into acknowledging her own musical legacy more. It's possible to still be a current artist whilst also celebrating your past achievements imo.

I think she is definitely a lot more accepting of her past and now celebrates it. While she will always live in the present, it is wonderful to finally see her embrace so much from her past. I think she may once have found her early life too painful - mother's death and struggles - so perhaps found it harder to look back and took that attitude to include her past hits. However, she has changed her views a lot. Remember when she said she would never sing Material Girl again and regretted recording it but later admitted she was wrong to have that attitude and instead embraced the song all over again. I love seeing her acknowledge her past hits and moments with pride whilst still living for the present and being creative. Perfect combination and healthy attitude in life.

Yeah, I think nostalgia is a by-product of getting older for all of us, and even Madonna isn't immune to that. It's clear in a lot of her posts about her kids growing up so fast etc. I like seeing that from her and I hope it begins to translate into acknowledging her own musical legacy more. It's possible to still be a current artist whilst also celebrating your past achievements imo.

True :thumbsup:

Yes, this is one of the fascinating things about Madonna. However, I think there are two periods in her life that she has always been nostalgic and willing to reminisce about: her early childhood before and immediately after her mother's death, and her early years in New York. But, yes, she seems to be looking back on even more parts of her life recently.
I think we sometimes get the impression that Madonna has forgotten her past because she so rarely talks about it, but she remembers everything! For example, there was that interview for Attitude Magazine in 2005 when the interviewer asked her all sorts of "geeky fan" questions about obscure recordings such as Queen's English and her old demos, amongst other things, and she could immediately recall all the details.

Remember when she said she would never sing Material Girl again and regretted recording it but later admitted she was wrong to have that attitude and instead embraced the song all over again.

Really? When did she have her change of heart? Even on the RIT she still seemed quite reluctant to sing Material Girl, with comments like "I forget the words to this one" or "And I am a material girl... (not really!)".

I think there are several reasons for M's recent nostalgia for the past. Some of my theories will probably be controversial in these here parts, so I'll refrain from going into detail. But I don't think it started with MDNA. It definitely began around the time of AL, with her willingness to do songs like LAV and MG live again.

I think there are several reasons for M's recent nostalgia for the past. Some of my theories will probably be controversial in these here parts, so I'll refrain from going into detail. But I don't think it started with MDNA. It definitely began around the time of AL, with her willingness to do songs like LAV and MG live again.

Oh c'mon...say it.

Some of her Instagram posts made me think she was feeling sentimental & more accepting of her past.

I do admit that I always very much admired how M jumped to one project to the next & never appeared overly sentimental or allowed her past mistakes to stunt her creativity.

Guest bluejean

Maybe it's partly because Instagram shows a side to her we've never seen before.

In the past it was only really interviews where we'd see her and of course she'd want to talk about the current project she was promoting, not something she did years ago.

She's never stopped performing older songs. There was a time where she seemed to think she would/could stop performing her old songs but it didn't last long.

Guest Rachelle of London

Maybe it's partly because Instagram shows a side to her we've never seen before.

In the past it was only really interviews where we'd see her and of course she'd want to talk about the current project she was promoting, not something she did years ago.

She's never stopped performing older songs. There was a time where she seemed to think she would/could stop performing her old songs but it didn't last long.

:clap:

This.