Some Words of Wisdom from Lionel Richie

acko

Nobody will stand the test of time, unlike Madonna and Michael Jackson

Lionel Richie is convinced that today’s popstars will not stand the test of time, unlike artists like Madonna and Michael Jackson. So, Lionel Ritchie thinks that nobody will remember songs by Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber in years to come.

Richie tells the London Evening Standard, “The beautiful part of where we were – we had shock value. But what came with shock value was hit after hit after hit. Madonna was outrageous – but she had a catalog of music that was unbelievable. At the end of all the theatrics with Michael (Jackson), he had nothing but the most fabulous catalog.”

“Now, we’ve got a lot of theatrics… but where’s the song that is going to stick around forever?” asks Lionel Richie. “Twenty years from now, let’s take anybody – where’s the body of work? I’m going to judge you not by your popularity but by your longevity, your staying records. I’m thinking about Miley, Justin Bieber. We’ve made amateur music mainstream. There’s a difference between a stylist and a singer. Everybody can sing! Go to karaoke, there are some guys seriously singing their a**es off! But do they have a unique voice, or distinct voice?”

Two years ago, Madonna and Lionel Richie shared the top two spots the Billboard 200 with their albums MDNA and Tuskegee. It was the first time they have been chart mates in 26 years. And so, Madonna tweeted first: “Congrats on a successful record. To the other Richie in my life.”

“What’s going on family?” Lionel Richie replied. “Can you believe we are sitting on the top of the charts together again? There is no one I would rather be on top with. Congratulations!! I am so happy for you.”

“Remember when we were neighbors?” Madonna tweeted at Lionel. And he replied, “Do I remember?!?! … The only problem I had is when I came out of my house the fans would ask me where you live? I was the tour guide for the street. The neighborhood was never the same after you left.”

“You still live in that (dump)?” Madonna asked. “Hell no!!” Richie replied. “I moved out right behind you. The street wasn’t exciting anymore.”

Drownedmadonna.com

Nobody will stand the test of time, unlike Madonna and Michael Jackson

Lionel Richie is convinced that today’s popstars will not stand the test of time, unlike artists like Madonna and Michael Jackson. So, Lionel Ritchie thinks that nobody will remember songs by Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber in years to come.

Richie tells the London Evening Standard, “The beautiful part of where we were – we had shock value. But what came with shock value was hit after hit after hit. Madonna was outrageous – but she had a catalog of music that was unbelievable. At the end of all the theatrics with Michael (Jackson), he had nothing but the most fabulous catalog.”

“Now, we’ve got a lot of theatrics… but where’s the song that is going to stick around forever?” asks Lionel Richie. “Twenty years from now, let’s take anybody – where’s the body of work? I’m going to judge you not by your popularity but by your longevity, your staying records. I’m thinking about Miley, Justin Bieber. We’ve made amateur music mainstream. There’s a difference between a stylist and a singer. Everybody can sing! Go to karaoke, there are some guys seriously singing their a**es off! But do they have a unique voice, or distinct voice?”

Two years ago, Madonna and Lionel Richie shared the top two spots the Billboard 200 with their albums MDNA and Tuskegee. It was the first time they have been chart mates in 26 years. And so, Madonna tweeted first: “Congrats on a successful record. To the other Richie in my life.”

“What’s going on family?” Lionel Richie replied. “Can you believe we are sitting on the top of the charts together again? There is no one I would rather be on top with. Congratulations!! I am so happy for you.”

“Remember when we were neighbors?” Madonna tweeted at Lionel. And he replied, “Do I remember?!?! … The only problem I had is when I came out of my house the fans would ask me where you live? I was the tour guide for the street. The neighborhood was never the same after you left.”

“You still live in that (dump)?” Madonna asked. “Hell no!!” Richie replied. “I moved out right behind you. The street wasn’t exciting anymore.”

Drownedmadonna.com

YES :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I totally forgot about Madonna's and Lionel's exchange... so iconic the Internet nearly exploded!

And I completely agree with him on newer artists... everything happens so much faster these days that an artist can shoot up to the top and seem really, really massive and fall and be done in so much of a faster cycle than ever. And yes, the music is more throw away than ever.

Of course there have always been one hit wonders and stuff, but in say the 80's, if you made it huge, it usually was because of the music first, not necessarily celebrity. The celebrity came second and even if it did, time and patience meant really putting the effort into more great music, then more celebrity.

I am sorry, but writing a song with the word "baby" over and over and then forgettable follow ups means you will most likely be just that in the future, forgettable.

He's right. So many people reduce her to shock antics, but she wouldn't have been here three decades later if that was all she had to offer. And her so called "antics" weren't just "Oh look at ME I'm so shocking!!!", they always served a purpose and she always uses them as an extra spice, never the main act.

He's right. So many people reduce her to shock antics, but she wouldn't have been here three decades later if that was all she had to offer. And her so called "antics" weren't just "Oh look at ME I'm so shocking!!!", they always served a purpose and she always uses them as an extra spice, never the main act.

Exactly :clap: :clap:

You don't last more than 30 years if all you have to offer is shock antics. If you don't have the MUSIC, the general public won't follow, not for decades.

Exactly :clap: :clap:

You don't last more than 30 years if all you have to offer is shock antics. If you don't have the MUSIC, the general public won't follow, not for decades.

Mte, people get sick of you pretty quickly if you don't have anything else.

Guest bluejean

He's right.

They'll never be another Michael Jackson or another Madonna. Just as there's never been another Elvis or The Beatles.

Everything's been done now, all these current stars are just reenacting what's already been done.