Lets talk about.... Like a Flower

Nessie

Why on hell she did not release this beautiful masterpiece of song in any shape or form?????? :cries:

Instead she gave it to Laura fucking Pausini...... :gross:

WHY WHY :megamanson:

I love this song! I love her voice. It's sad but soothing in a way. It's one of those songs that Madonna has not released herself that expresses a straightforward sadness where you can hear it in her voice. In her discography she usually turns straightforward sadness into strength like You'll See or leans the sadness into something more philosophical like Oh Father. Which is fine and they are amazing songs for it but I wish she would embrace expressing sadness more.

When Madonna sings Don't Cry for me Argentina it is heartbreakingly beautiful. As is Lament and the vulnerable You Must Love Me. She had success in that movie because of the way she can express emotion. If Madonna in film could release a little control it's obvious that others know what her strengths are. You Must Love Me is perfect for her voice and ability to express emotion and the public responded to this film.

The song No Substitute For Love imo is the realness of Drowned World (Substitute For Love.) On the album No Substitute for love becomes more philosophical and dramatic.

Till Death Do Us Part "sounds" upbeat.

Take A Bow and Falling Free are the ones I can think of right now that seem straightforward sad and Take A Bow was one of her biggest hits. I also believe many fans love Falling Free.

I Fucked Up sounds like the beginnings of a confessional song about a failed relationship but then she throws the "or not" at the end.

In the MDNA tour the reworking of Like A Virgin went over really well with fans and usually changing a classic hit does not.

I mentioned these songs because I am trying to think of examples to back up my opinion about Madonna's avoidance of expressing real sadness without making it philosophical or dramatic. A lot of people think Madonna is cold in interviews but that's not true. I think she relies more on being philosophical or guarded.

Another unreleased song that I know of where you can really hear the sadness in her voice is I Can't Forget and the bonus track Has To Be. Oh and Time Stood Still is a beautiful example of Madonna being sentimental and expressing real sadness. The whole Ray Of Light era is very special because Madonna was opening up, allowing way more of her natural look and letting her guard down a bit. Of course still what made it on the album Ray Of Light leaned towards happiness which she can express easily and even more so turning sadness into something way more philosophical.

I don't want Madonna to sing an album of sad songs but I just want her to embrace more of what she clearly does well and maybe let her guard down just a little more. I admire Madonna's ability to be philosophical and the ability to turn sadness into strength and a learning experience. I also admire her ability to express happiness so I don't want her to lose that. Madonna is actually an extremely mature person. I think what the public is looking for is for her to open up more and be serious about sad feelings sometimes.

Like A Flower to me is a beautiful example of how beautifully Madonna's voice can express emotion and even though she may not be technically the best singer no one else's voice sounds like hers or is as soothing to me.

Larkspur, I agree with you about the sad songs. Madonna can sing melancholy sad songs with so much feeling. Others that I find sad are Love don't live here anymore ( she puts all of her emotion into that ) This used to be my playground, Promise to try, X-static Process, and Another Suitcase in another hall. I also feel that she puts a lot of longing and sadness into La Isla Bonita and What it feels like for a girl - the orginal album version. Like an angel passing through my room is another and she has said that this Abba song reminded her of her mother visiting her. I agree with Time stood still and the Evita songs you mentioned. Madonna can convey so much emotion - sadness, strength, joy, happiness and romantic longing. This is what makes her a great singer - her voice is lovely but the emotion always comes out.

Nessie, I love Like a flower and wish she had included it on her own album instead of giving it away.

I like the verses. I don't like the chorus. The vocals are a little shrill in places. I can see why she dropped it.

I absolutely adore this song! I really do. I think it's one of her most heartbreaking, yet heart-warming songs. The acoustic guitar during the verses, the synths during the chorus and her soothing and emotional vocals are what make this song on of her best 90's ballads imo.

It's a beautiful song, I really like it, but if she had included it in ROL there have been too many ballads IMO. I do like Laura Pausini's version, I ilked her since she began back in 1994 when I was 5 yo.