Her Best Song, Musically?

IsaacHarris

ISAAC PLEASE CLEAR UP WHAT YOU MEAN EXACTLY SO I MAY MAKE AN ASSERTION.

In terms of lyrics, instrumentation, vocals... Anything excluding her visuals (music vids, live performances). Choose a song you like based off of audio qualities alone.

Like A Prayer. One of the greatest songs ever recorded. And it's not her most popular classic without reason.

Followed by Frozen and Drowned World and basically most of the rest of the LAP and ROL album.

And, while it is far from her best song musically speaking, I do think Miles Away is a very, very strong song and one of the few M songs left that still haven't received enough appreciation by most of her fans.

EROTICA.

The lyrics. The vocals. The moans. And THAT instrumentaion! What else is there to say? There's nothing else quite like it in her discography. It's so exquisite. It fascinates me.

Like A Prayer / Ray of Light for me .

I can't pick one either, but both You'll See & Time Stood Still are personal favorites of mine!

Glad to see i'm not the only one :thumbsup:

Deffinately Drowned World/Substitute For Love. So much passion, drive, hurt, power, empowerment, weakness etc... And the vocal delivery is out of this world.

YES! :wow:

It would be TSS, only I feel that's a tiny bit lyrically undernourished. Perhaps Take a Bow? I'll change my mind tomorrow. The violin bit behind 'make them laugh, it comes so easy' alone is worth the price of admission. It's like one violin says something and the other replies.

Guest Rachelle of London

songs like LAP and PDP I bet theyve heard loads. |Just give them an album, BS,Erotica, ROL come to mind

songs like LAP and PDP I bet theyve heard loads. |Just give them an album, BS,Erotica, ROL come to mind

omfg i forgot about PDP. the instrumental alone (aside from the brilliant lyrics and vocals) is pure art.

Like a Prayer, Secret Garden, Paradise Not For Me are miles above the rest on every level, imho. Structurally, musically, lyrics-wise.. that's solid stuff.

Edited by rudra

Musically, something that incorporates some great instruments (especially strings) and, of course, is a great track, don't hurt.

When I think of "musical" Madonna, I think of something like "Oh Father." Not sure off-hand if I'd say that's her very-best track, musically, but it's a start.

OMG is this a hard task.

Great little idea tho Isaac, however I can't limit it to just one sing. When you consider the music, the message, vocals, emotional delivery, impact on the listener and lyrics you can't go past;

- Live to Tell

- Like a Prayer

- Express Yourself

- Oh Father

- Vogue

- Tie between I'll Remember/Rain/Take a Bow

- You'll See (some of her best EVER vocals)

- Frozen (powerful & mesmerising song)

- Ray of Light (her artistic and musical peak)

- Hung Up (one of her best EVER songs)

- LoveSpent (best thing she has done in years)

Would love to include more but I was very strict on myself in sticking to the protocol with choosing the songs and not getting carried away. Would have loved to have included anthemic gems like I'm Addicted, Bedtime Story, Into The Groove, Holiday and multiple tracks from albums like Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Music.

When considering things like vocal and emotional delivery, music and lyrics, message and impact on the listener, I couldn't narrow it down to just one song. I had to settle for a couple as there are just so many options to choose from when considering the above.

- Live to Tell (there are no words but flawless and perfection come to mind)

- Like a Prayer (her signature song)

- Express Yourself (an iconic anthem)

- Oh Father (a true Madonna masterpiece, so much raw emotion)

- Vogue (a masterpiece, signature track and iconic anthem all rolled into one. One of the best dance songs of all time)

- A three way tie between Rain/I'll Remember & Take a Bow (Rain and IR are perfectly produced pop music and TAB would have to be a perfect example of Madonna doing urban/RnB music and probably her best ever collaboration with a fellow artist)

- You'll See (her best recorded vocals EVER)

- Frozen/Has to Be (powerful and mysterious, some of her best ever work)

- Ray of Light (her absolute critical and artistic peak with her strongest ever vocals)

- Hung Up (one of the best disco songs of all time)

- LoveSpent (her best song in years)

A great little idea there Isaac but an excruciatingly difficult task also when you have such a massive discography to pull from. I was very strict on myself in keeping with the protocol I set and tried so hard not to get carried away. I would have loved to have included songs like Forbidden Love ('94), Music, I'm Addicted and Get Together and probably multiple tracks from classic albums like Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Music and her debut. The list would have been endless, perhaps we can do a thread choosing the best song musically from each album next???

Some other, inferior version of Fever came on at my job today, so my co-workers started talking about their favorite covers. Naturally, when I said "Madonna's version" the room fell silent :rotfl: Haters.

That led to bigger discussion on M's OWN music; they can re-use the same old jokes about her image, but the discography is flawless (one of them asked for a list of songs to check out). Visuals, videos, costumes, & performances aside what is Madonna's best song musically? Do the lyrics relate to you? Why? How? etc...

Post your choice! (Madonna doesn't have to be the sole song-writer either, it aint that serious).

Oh Father, express yourself, don't tell me secret

Papa don't preach, live to tell

Frozen sanctuary, drowned world

Waiting like a prayer

Ray of light,

Lucky star falling free

Guest Wahoo8888

Help increase the YouTube views of a beautiful Madonna video and song: You'll See.

Please access the following link as many times as you can for as long as you can (click the youtube icon in bottom right corner). Let's get this video and song on the radar. Collectively we can do it. Also, if a member, like the video:

Thanks

youtube dot com slash watch?v=zyFzpBAZICc