New album thread: "official" information. UPDATE: Diplo tweets about "hot" songs

Guest Rachelle of London

I wish she would send it to MIRWAIS instead and ask for his opinion. He's a perfectionist and brilliant and talented and simply GOT her.

Mirwais yes please

I reckon she wanted Pharrells opinions too.

Yes. Actually a source told me it went like this:

*ring ring*

Pharrell: Yo

M: Hi Baby, what’s up? I heard you’re in town, can we meet in the studio?

Pharrell: Ohh..umm yeah but I don’t have any current demos flying aro-

M: No I just want your opinion on my new music. Don’t wanna record with you, been there done that *laughs*

Pharrell: Alright then.

*ring ring*

Orbit: Hello?

M: Hey William, this is M. Listen, I’m kinda busy but can I send you a few of my new demos?

Orbit: Ohhh that would be delightful. I have sooo many ideas I’d like to share with you. As you know, you are my favorite person I have ever worked with.

M: Umm sorry it’s almost done. I have a clear vision and just need your opinion this time. Just a ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

Orbit: Oh. Okay.

*ring ring*

Mirwais: Bonjour

M: Bonjour mon ami, comment vas-tu?

Mirwais: Ahhh alo Madona, so great to hear you.

M: I know, it’s been forever since we talked the last time. Sorry.

Mirwais: No problem. What can I do for you?

M: As you’ve probably heard I’m working on my new album….aaaaand

Mirwais: You want me to help you?

M: YES! The theme is “Unapologeticbitch goes on a revolution – a journey from dark to light”.

Mirwais: -silence-

M: Nevermind, I’ll send you an email.

*ring ring*

Solveig: Martin here.

M: Sorry, wrong number *hangs up*

*ring ring*

Timbaland: Yo man

M: *hangs up*

What I find strange is, if she REALLY wanted Candy Shop as the first single, why didn't she fight for it to become the second or third single then? It makes no sense to love it so much and then just give up and not release it all. I mean I'm not sad that it never got a single release (I don't hate it though, it's a nice little track with a good beat).

She wanted Give It 2 Me to be the first single. She also wanted the album to be called that. She didn't because of Timbaland's Give It To Me with JT and NF.

Guest Rachelle of London

*ring ring*

M: Hi Baby, whats up? I heard youre in town, can we meet in the studio?

Pharrell: Ohh..umm yeah but I dont have any current demos flying aro-

M: No I just want your opinion on my new music. Dont wanna record with you, been there done that *laughs*

*ring ring*

M: Hey William, this is M. Listen, Im kinda busy but can I send you a few of my new demos?

Orbit: Ohhh that would be delightful. I have sooo many ideas Id like to share with you. As you know, you are my favorite person I have ever worked with.

M: Umm sorry its almost done. I have a clear vision and just need your opinion this time. Just a good or bad.

*ring ring*

M: I know, its been forever since we talked the last time. Sorry.

M: As youve probably heard Im working on my new album.aaaaand

M: YES! The theme is Unapologeticbitch goes on a revolution a journey from dark to light.

M: Nevermind, Ill send you an email.

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

:dead:

Guest Rachelle of London

She wanted Give It 2 Me to be the first single. She also wanted the album to be called that. She didn't because of Timbaland's Give It To Me with JT and NF.

She also wanted to call it candy Shop but couldn't cos of the 50 cent song

I know that she wanted to call the album Give It 2 Me but it's been widely speculated that she wanted Candy Shop as the first single. Never heard that she actually wanted GI2M as the first single.

July 18: According to insiders, radio programmers want Madonna to release “Don’t Stop” as a single, however, Madonna has refused and is insisting they play the album’s official new release “Human Nature.” However, the people at Maverick have instructed programming directors to go ahead and play “Don’t Stop” instead of “Human Nature” if it fits their demographic better. Sources at Maverick also say that the “Human Nature” remixes were late for release because the original remixer had phoned Madonna and asked her to re-record her vocals on the track for a more dance-able version and she hung up on him. The record company then scrambled to find new DJs to remix the track.

It’s clear that Madonna and Warner Bros. (under new management since Mo Ostin left last year) have been clearly at odds over the marketing of the album since its release. Madonna had originally wanted “Bedtime Story” to be the lead single and video (hence the early production of the clip which began in August 1994), however WB flat-out refused and demanded that she release “Secret.” Radio has also been mixed in its support of the album. Many have complained that “Bedtime Story” and “Human Nature” are not good songs for radio and scored poorly in audience response call-out.

tumblr_lzexa6vxdV1qj7k58o1_400.gif

Edited by mnino

If it is from the Genesis thread then it is likely the source was the old MLVC mailing list which had a lot of good insider stuff. I realize that isn't exactly solid, but I do believe that ICON interview with the storyboard artist from the "Rain" and "Bedtime Story" videos (Grant Shaffer) indicated that they started production of the "Bedtime Story" video in early August 1994 - before the "Secret" video was even shot yet.

That does at least corroborate the idea that Madonna wanted to have a different lead single. Why else would she start video production for a single before "Secret" or "Take A Bow"?

Also, Madonna may have chosen to lead with a weird, electronic track because she obviously loved the stuff Nellee did at the end of the album and was most excited about him - and she worked with even more after that on "I Want You" and had intended to bring him in for Ray of Light before their professional split. It may not jibe with the rest of the R&B setlist, but Madonna is often known for going after the stuff that makes her blood boil with excitement.

I agree her single choices may be a democratic process, but at the end of the day if she was able to just do what she wants we'd have "Candy Shop" opening the HC era and "Impressive Instant" would've been a single. Right? Someone must have some kind of power to stop her.

Hmmm. I remember those storyboard pieces in ICON and I don't remember picking up on that. Does anyone have the issues to verify? What I do remember is that M said that Mark Romanek heard the album before it was released and told her that he wanted to direct the video "when it's released as a single." I remember thinking that if that was an exact quote from Mark, it was pretty presumptuous (to assume it would be a single), so I do think M had revealed intentions to release it, but I also think that interview (from spring of '95) indicates that the video was most definitely NOT in production before the album dropped.

It's not like "Don't Stop" got notable airplay, though, as it never appeared on any airplay chart). I did hear it on a local station back in the day, though). BS and HN were not the best radio singles, but I don't think anyone's upset that they were released, as we would not have gotten those great videos. I recall BS was slated as the second single (per ICON), but it was a good choice to go with TAB.

What's Orbit supposed to be, over the moon on a project he's not working on? His comment is fine.

Yeah, I remember hearing BS exactly once on the radio and it was Z100, who were sponsoring her pajama party in NY. After the party, they never touched it again. But then I heard "Don't Stop" on a smaller NJ station pretty much every day. I think if it had been serviced to radio officially, it would have done quite well. Maybe not Top 10 or Top 5, but definitely better than the other two. And I agree about the videos, though I've never been as huge a fan of the HN video as many fans. I've always viewed the release of HN as a "fuck it" move by Madonna after BS flopped. The safe move would have been to release another ballad (it's SHOCKING that the label didn't make her do that after the success of TAB - that's like record business 101).

Oh won't you shut up just for once? You're so fucking annoying.

Okay, sure, I'll do that for you, random person who I don't know and can't even remember ever interacting with on here.

I know that she wanted to call the album Give It 2 Me but it's been widely speculated that she wanted Candy Shop as the first single. Never heard that she actually wanted GI2M as the first single.

Well, it ended up being the second single while CS was never released, so there must be some truth to it. I just don't think she had any idea what she wanted or what to do for that album.

Yes she really really wanted Candy Shop as the first single. I do like CS, but thank God Warners didn't let that happen!

She seems to always want to have the title track as the first single. For example: LAV, WTG, LAP, Erotica, BS, ROL, Music, AL and GI2M. Glad that HU does not make a good album title, otherwise... It makes sense because it sets the tone for the album (except for BS in my opinion).

I hope jlo's booty isn't his idea of pushing the envelope, cause that is pure and utter shit. I got very frightened when I found out he produced it.

But when has Jello ever pushed the envelope? Everyone knows this. Diplo knew this. He probably just gave her some random beat he made that was collecting dust on his hard drive.

Madonna expects the best from everyone she collaborates with. Diplo is no exception. She probably laid down the law their first session :bow:

*ring ring*

M: No I just want your opinion on my new music. Don’t wanna record with you, been there done that *laughs*

*ring ring*

M: Hey William, this is M. Listen, I’m kinda busy but can I send you a few of my new demos?

Orbit: Ohhh that would be delightful. I have sooo many ideas I’d like to share with you. As you know, you are my favorite person I have ever worked with.

M: Umm sorry it’s almost done. I have a clear vision and just need your opinion this time. Just a ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

*ring ring*

M: YES! The theme is “Unapologeticbitch goes on a revolution – a journey from dark to light”.

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

Hahaha this is funny.

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

OMG, hahahahaha

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

lolllllllll excellent !!!! :rotfl:

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

looooooooooooooooooool

didn't know that the german sense of humour was so good!!

Madonna really does value Orbit, to send him material to listen to from the new album is a big deal!

I also value his opinion, and the fact he says it's good makes me think nothing big positive vibes for it!

It's coming folks!!!

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

:rotfl:

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

Best post ever :lmao:

He also said that Chris Brown's crappy song was amazing and that he wished it would have been on MDNA or something along those lines. It's probably for the better that he only said 'good' instead of 'brilliant, fantastic, amazing'.

He also saw W.E, before it's premier and said it was " oscar worthy"

it may not have been oscar worthy but he clearly saw the greatness in W.E. ...

saying it's "good" ...is a little dismaying. either way, i don't care...

only thing i'm thinking is what that could potentially mean?

people are getting first listens of some songs? all the songs? is it finished?

still being finished?

thoughts?!!

*ring ring*

M: Hi Baby, whats up? I heard youre in town, can we meet in the studio?

Pharrell: Ohh..umm yeah but I dont have any current demos flying aro-

M: No I just want your opinion on my new music. Dont wanna record with you, been there done that *laughs*

*ring ring*

M: Hey William, this is M. Listen, Im kinda busy but can I send you a few of my new demos?

Orbit: Ohhh that would be delightful. I have sooo many ideas Id like to share with you. As you know, you are my favorite person I have ever worked with.

M: Umm sorry its almost done. I have a clear vision and just need your opinion this time. Just a good or bad.

*ring ring*

M: I know, its been forever since we talked the last time. Sorry.

M: As youve probably heard Im working on my new album.aaaaand

M: YES! The theme is Unapologeticbitch goes on a revolution a journey from dark to light.

M: Nevermind, Ill send you an email.

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

:rotfl:

This was well written

Fabulous

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

:lmao::lmao::lmao: