Well, to be fair, I think she's talking about her CAREER reinventions. From professional cheerleader to choreographer to pop singer to talent judge.

And she was instrumental in Janet Jackson's success...and we all know that some of these silly wannabe queens like Britney, Rihanna, etc. are more like Janet than Madonna. That's a compliment to Madonna, but Paula really helped create that whole uber-choroegraphed dance-troupe video thing.

Madonna did it first.

I didn't know who Paula Abdul was until I joined Madonna nation.

I just remembered her dancing with that Cat. I loved pop up video on vh1.

She is obviously mentally ill.

Anyone who has to make such remarks must have a real inferiority complex. I am sure there are many other people she can try to get one over on, but Madonna is not one of them. Her even daring to try and outdo the queen confirmsshe is psychiatrically unbalanced.

Well, to be fair, I think she's talking about her CAREER reinventions. From professional cheerleader to choreographer to pop singer to talent judge.

And she was instrumental in Janet Jackson's success...and we all know that some of these silly wannabe queens like Britney, Rihanna, etc. are more like Janet than Madonna. That's a compliment to Madonna, but Paula really helped create that whole uber-choroegraphed dance-troupe video thing.

There is truth to this.

Paula may be a bit loopy these days... but I do give it up to her that - as a dancer/choreographer - she was a skilled professional.

Using that horrible (yet ridiculously funny) Vibeology performance isn't really fair...as there are plenty of pro dance performances that came before that. (I said "dance performances"...).

And while she clearly has issues with prescription pain killers and alcohol...I believe they partly stem from serious spinal issues that she had to have addressed (mult. operations, I think). As someone who has basically had their spine reconstructed, I can't help but feel sympathetic...though she clearly has abused meds (and alcohol, which goes way back I believe).

I've always liked Paula. I think if she had released an album in 1993 rather than 1995, she could have at least had another successful era/album. Spellbound is underrated, and she waited way too long between albums (for personal/health reasons, supposedly). And when she came back, the pop landscape had totally changed. Dance-pop was out of vogue, and R&B was in. She tried to adapt, but she just didn't have the talent/voice to compete. And people had forgotten about her and moved on.

"My videos stand the test of time. They are like the almanac for every performer. Even Rhianna has come up to me and said ‘I hope you don’t mind.’ And Beyonce. You can see the influence of what I’ve done. It’s really fun to see that I’ve left a skid mark. It was my idea to create an animated character. It takes a lot of focus, a lot time, and a lot of money." -Paula Abdul

Here's another gem. Delusion at its finest.

So tacky. In England there is no love or legacy where she is concerned. She's a nobody.

Haha! So true.

And I always thought her dancing was better suited to musical theatre than pop videos.

I'm a big fan of dance and I am NOT into her instantly dated, meaningless and tacky choreography or her style as a dancer. Everybody dancing appears to be counting to 8 or trying too hard to be cool. It just doesn't connect with me at all.

England? Who is she?

It's the country that sent all of the criminals (the ancestors of people like you and Ivy) and the polite gentry folk that were supposed to keep the criminals in check (the ancestors of every other Australian on this forum) to Austrahliya.

It's the country that sent all of the criminals (the ancestors of people like you and Ivy) and the polite gentry folk that were supposed to keep the criminals in check (the ancestors of every other Australian on this forum) to Austrahliya.

Don't forget the poisonous possums, you cold hearted snake.

"Vibeology" is legendary for killing her career. Of course as we all know it is quite possibly the worst performance of all time but fabulous with it all the same.

I did like the recent RuPaul Drag Race re-interpretation as well - with Miss Paula in the audience.

Love her, such a train wreck. :rotfl:

I agree..

and Britney should really thank Paula who taught Janice to dance.

She is a huge influence not to mention at her peak she was the top female artist of USA beating Janice and Madonna in sales and awards.

Is this drug induced?

Edited by mlcr

Can someone tell me a bit about the background to Vibeology and her career in generally?

Like, year, album, what happened to her career, what awards show is it from???

How many copies did Spellbound and that 95 album sell???

What happened to her spine???

I actually purchased Promise of A New Day on cassette as a 7 year old and I recall that they stretched her in the video to make her look slim or something. I don't recall her pioneering the dance troupe thing, I feel strongly that Madonna did it first.

She is a complete dickhead in that Vibeology performance.

"My videos stand the test of time. They are like the almanac for every performer. Even Rhianna has come up to me and said ‘I hope you don’t mind.’ And Beyonce. You can see the influence of what I’ve done. It’s really fun to see that I’ve left a mark. It was my idea to create an animated character. It takes a lot of focus, a lot time, and a lot of money." -Paula Abdul

Here's another gem. Delusion at its finest.

:lmao:

I do love the handful of hits Paula had though.

She's known in the UK really just for Straight Up which is a great song. Opposites Attract also gets some airplay but all her other songs pretty much flopped. I do like Knocked Out, Cold Hearted and The Way That You Loved Me but they didn't chart well here if at all. She was pretty much dead after the first album. '89 was it? Rush Rush was dire. I remember Vibeology and liked the song but few others in the UK would.

A one hit wonder here.

Sorry Poo!

As for dance troupes, it's hard to say. People have had multiple dancers in videos for years such as MJ with Beat It and JJ with Nasty. Madonna's WTG tour in 87 could claim to be the first live show that really used multiple choreographed dancers and backing singers. I can't remember other live performances before that.

I actually had a friend in 1989 (fourth grade) who like Paula Abdul. I liked her too, but we used to fight over who was better, and whose album (FYG or LAP) was better. Can you imagine my 10-year-old head exploding? Needless to say, I was right.