Boy George discusses Madonna again

XXL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/25/boy-george-madonna_n_4825475.html

Boy George Discusses New Album, Gender Identity, Madonna And More

n-BOY-GEORGE-large570.jpg

I love it when I get to talk to a pop star who has something to say and isn’t afraid to say it.

Are there many?

A few. There are others that I love but who are just really smart about how they interact with the media. Kylie Minogue is one of my all-time favorites but she’s been in the industry for so long that she’s just so professional and she isn’t going to slip up and tell you anything she doesn’t want you to know. Which part of me respects and the other part of me wants to scream “Give me something juicy!” Do you know her?

Yeah, we know each other. And I think it’s good to know who you are. Listen: it doesn’t look good if you kind of bitch and berate people. There’s a point in your life where it isn’t classy. And one thing you can say about Kylie is that she doesn’t do that and bless her for that.

You have a reputation for doing that.

In the past! I’m very conscious about what I say. Recently I was kind of quoted as saying something about Kylie and Madonna, which I didn’t actually say and I think sometimes the idea of me as a kind of an uber-bitch is more interesting for some people. I mean, I’m critical, but when I say things it’s usually really in jest. I’m not really a mean person. If I saw someone bleeding in the gutter I wouldn’t just step over them, whoever it was. My point of view isn’t mean, but I’ve said stupid things about people.

When I told my deputy editor, who adores Madonna, that I was interviewing you he said, “Don’t ask him about Madonna -- he hates Madonna!”

I don’t hate Madonna! That’s such rubbish. I mean I’ve said awful things about Madonna and I’m not proud of that at all -- I’m really not proud of that because I didn’t know her. And like everyone, I’ve always secretly kind of been into her. I have a lot of her records and I think that really is the measure of what you think of someone. If I have like 5 or 6 singles of Madonna that I love, that makes me a little bit of a fan. I have a massive painting of her in my spare room that I got in the ‘80s from some shop on Broadway.

People do love to pit celebrities against each other.

There was a point where Madonna was just everywhere you looked and you couldn’t not comment! In the same way that it’s the same way not to have a comment about One Direction! They’re everywhere you look. And there was a point where Madonna was just everywhere, running around the park -- she was just everywhere. And you can’t be that famous and not have people make comments, especially other people that are in your business. People are always asking me, “What do you think of this” and “What do you think of that,” but I don’t know her. I can’t see us ever being friends now but she’s going to be at this event that I’m going to tonight. I said to my friend, “If you can get a picture of me and Madonna, you’ll get a medal.” Can you imagine? I’d be really happy! It would be great to just have a photo with her and to fucking put this shit to bed. I don’t hate her at all!

When you mentioned One Direction I was reminded of something you said about one of them being gay or bisexual.

No! I did not say that! No! Of course I saw what it said on the Huffington Post, but I said everyone is bisexual! And suddenly that was translated into “Somebody said you think one of them is gay!” And I said everyone is a bit bisexual which was translated into… I really don’t care.

Are there a lot of pop artists who are in the closet?

I think a lot more people in the world are in the closet. I think sexuality is so much more varied and complicated than we can even possibly imagine. There are people out there who are sniffing shoes! It’s endless what perversions and quirks people have. So, I think the spectrum of sexuality is hugely varied and I do believe, in fact know, that there are people out there who are into things that they never talk about and would be terrified if anyone found out.

Thanks for sharing XXL. That was a nice read! :kiss2: The interview was held in New York "in the middle of February". Wondering what event Madonna went to where Boy George was also present? Would not mind a picture of the two of them.

I like what he said about everyone being secretly into her :chuckle: Truth!

He started following my @MadonnaTV twitter account a few years ago for some reason (I was not already following him).

I was intrigued lol! :-)

He does personally use his own twitter account a lot.

I still don't like him. I wish he would just shut up. I don't think anything he says is genuine. It's just to make himself look good and sell copies of his new album. And I'm glad Madonna didn't give him a picture at the event. Madonna can see through phonies like him in a second so I think she will always avoid him.

Guest bluejean

Didn't Madonna make some comment about him more recently? (As in the last 10 years.) She referred to him as being an 80's icon or something. I'm pretty sure she likes him and probably never heard the awful things he said about her. Like most people she'd probably be surprised to know he's still around.

Guest Not4Pussies

I still don't like him. I wish he would just shut up. I don't think anything he says is genuine. It's just to make himself look good and sell copies of his new album. And I'm glad Madonna didn't give him a picture at the event. Madonna can see through phonies like him in a second so I think she will always avoid him.

She did give Gaga and Kim K the time of day so.

She did give Gaga and Kim K the time of day so.

Yes, but Gaga and Kim K. have never said the horrific mean things about her that George has. I get that everyone hates Gaga here but she's never said anything on the same level of rudeness about her that George has. Kim K. never said anything bad about Madonna at all, just the opposite she's said how much she admired her.

Didn't Madonna make some comment about him more recently? (As in the last 10 years.) She referred to him as being an 80's icon or something. I'm pretty sure she likes him and probably never heard the awful things he said about her. Like most people she'd probably be surprised to know he's still around.

I don't know about recently, but she mentioned him in an interview in 1998: http://www.ultramadonna.com/en/articles/1008/confessions_of_the_worlds_most_famous_woman/view/2

You're probably right. The weird thing about him is everyone he says horrible things about usually likes him and is willing to be friends with him. It's usually him that holds grudges not the people he bitches out. She did mention him in that Vogue issue where she was on the cover with the chickens. She said something like how she first met him when she was just starting out in London and he was on the top of the world and he was quite rude and condescending to her and full of himself. She said she could tell he was a "force to be reckoned with".

You're probably right. The weird thing about him is everyone he says horrible things about usually likes him and is willing to be friends with him. It's usually him that holds grudges not the people he bitches out. She did mention him in that Vogue issue where she was on the cover with the chickens. She said something like how she first met him when she was just starting out in London and he was on the top of the world and he was quite rude and condescending to her and full of himself. She said she could tell he was a "force to be reckoned with".

Yes, it was this:

'Madonna’s first trip to London in 1982, with her friend, dancer Martin Burgoyne, was financed by their bartending jobs at New York’s East Village bar Lucky Strike. “We used to rob the cash register blind!” she says matter-of-factly. When they had saved enough to hit London, “we went out to some nightclubs, and I met Boy George in the [Vivienne Westwood] World’s End stuff. He was just this force to be reckoned with, and I was very intimidated,” Madonna remembers. “He was really mean to me… he’s still mean to me!'

http://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-interviews-articles/vogue-august-2005

Yes, but Gaga and Kim K. have never said the horrific mean things about her that George has. I get that everyone hates Gaga here but she's never said anything on the same level of rudeness about her that George has. Kim K. never said anything bad about Madonna at all, just the opposite she's said how much she admired her.

Yeah okay.

Yes, it was this:

'Madonna’s first trip to London in 1982, with her friend, dancer Martin Burgoyne, was financed by their bartending jobs at New York’s East Village bar Lucky Strike. “We used to rob the cash register blind!” she says matter-of-factly. When they had saved enough to hit London, “we went out to some nightclubs, and I met Boy George in the [Vivienne Westwood] World’s End stuff. He was just this force to be reckoned with, and I was very intimidated,” Madonna remembers. “He was really mean to me… he’s still mean to me!'

http://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-interviews-articles/vogue-august-2005

Thanks for finding that! I love how Madonna expresses herself. She's straight up honest and sincere. That's one of the reasons I don't like Boy George because he's kind of evasive and dishonest. I don't know what's real.I find him intimidating as well. He's too aggressive and confrontational for my taste whereas Madonna if she's criticized is more witty and sort of disarms her critics with charm.

Y'know, I think, in some ways there are similarities between Madonna and Boy George, and that's probably a large reason why he's been a obsessed with attacking her over the years. They're a similar age, and both came from large Catholic families and were both desperate to escape their humdrum existence and be universally acknowledged. Between '82 and '84 Boy George was the most famous pop star in the world and then, of course, Madonna's star rose and she took that title.

I'm not excusing the things he's said about her because they've really been extremely mean, but I can see why - as someone as insecure as he is - has felt so envious of her. Rosie O'Donnell told him when she was producing Taboo in New York, that if they were to ever sit down and have a chat they'd probably really get on.

Thanks for finding that! I love how Madonna expresses herself. She's straight up honest and sincere. That's one of the reasons I don't like Boy George because he's kind of evasive and dishonest. I don't know what's real.I find him intimidating as well. He's too aggressive and confrontational for my taste whereas Madonna if she's criticized is more witty and sort of disarms her critics with charm.

Yes, when I read that I remember thinking that it was great that Madonna could still describe him as being a 'force to be reckoned with' even though she's aware of the nasty things he's said about her. It's like with Elton John, she's always said how much she admires him in spite of his venomous attacks.

Y'know, I think, in some ways there are similarities between Madonna and Boy George, and that's probably a large reason why he's been a obsessed with attacking her over the years. They're a similar age, and both came from large Catholic families and were both desperate to escape their humdrum existence and be universally acknowledged. Between '82 and '84 Boy George was the most famous pop star in the world and then, of course, Madonna's star rose and she took that title.

I'm not excusing the things he's said about her because they've really been extremely mean, but I can see why - as someone as insecure as he is - has felt so envious of her. Rosie O'Donnell told him when she was producing Taboo in New York, that if they were to ever sit down and have a chat they'd probably really get on.

Well, there are some similiarites as far as their life experiences, but as people and personalities they are so different. Boy George is hard to have a chat with because he never lets anyone else talk.

I actually met him back in the early 90s and he wasn't really as intimidating as you might imagine. I guess his reputation precedes him...

I think it depends on the person he's meeting and his mood at the time and whether he's on drugs at the time. The early 1990's were one of the times he was clean. He gets his reputation for a reason. It's not based on nothing, but his own behavior.

Sorry Slam3000 but between 1982-1984 Michael Jackson was the BIGGEST POPSTAR IN THE WORLD and then Madonna took that title, and I'm not even that big of an MJ fan and he is overrated but that's the truth.

About Boy George he was famous in America for a few years but he wasn't that big, I would even say that Cyndi Lauper's peak in the US was bigger than his.

Sorry Slam3000 but between 1982-1984 Michael Jackson was the BIGGEST POPSTAR IN THE WORLD and then Madonna took that title, and I'm not even that big of an MJ fan and he is overrated but that's the truth.

About Boy George he was famous in America for a few years but he wasn't that big, I would even say that Cyndi Lauper's peak in the US was bigger than his.

George wasn't a solo artist like the others. He was part of a band. He was very famous but it wasn't so much based on his actual commercial success which only lasted a short period of time. His fame and people interest in him was more based around his personality and image, which is the same as his fame today. He became overexposed in the media which made the rest of the band irrelevant and his actual music also. He just doesn't know when to shut up and focus on the actual music.

George wasn't a solo artist like the others. He was part of a band. He was very famous but it wasn't so much based on his actual commercial success which only lasted a short period of time. His fame and people interest in him was more based around his personality and image, which is the same as his fame today. He became overexposed in the media which made the rest of the band irrelevant and his actual music also. He just doesn't know when to shut up and focus on the actual music.

Yes, I agree with this.

Guest Madomination

I read Boy George's auto bio Take It Like A Man. He and Madonna did have a couple of "run ins". He visited her backstage during one of her Virgin Tour concerts. He was too busy taking a pic of her AND this other cute boy who happened to be there (don't know who he was).

And much later, he "crashed" into her birthday party (in Paris I think....) and the two got together talking for a whole good hour.

Boy George was on Fashion Police a few weeks ago and he was charming. Also kind of defended Madonna when the usual suspects were putting her down. What he said made sense and I think he probably does regret saying the things he did.

Boy George was on Fashion Police a few weeks ago and he was charming. Also kind of defended Madonna when the usual suspects were putting her down. What he said made sense and I think he probably does regret saying the things he did.

Yeah I saw that. Seems like got his sh*t together. :lol:

He can be charming when he wants to. Sorry, but I still don't believe it's for real.