Maxi-Singles with Only 1 or 2 Remixers

vocalism

Anyone else miss the days when M's maxi-singles only contained remixes from one or two remixers? I realize that variety is nice, but I enjoyed getting several different interpretations by the same person (usually someone you knew Madonna trusted or loved), as opposed to now, when it's just a list of flavor-of-the-month DJs. This seemed to change around the ROL/Music era.

Yes because Human Nature was one of her all time best maxis......

KIDDING!

Nah, I actually welcome it now. I embrace it, I enjoy variety.

No. I love that we have multiple remixers for 1 track. There have been quite a few tracks that I did not care for until I heard a mix by some D.J that had NOTHING to do with the making of the song.

Depends on the remixes! The remixes off COADF and MDNA were virtually all terrible but Music had multiple remixers and many of those were excellent.

Her songs lend themselves to house music much better than the really bad electropop remixes of recently, or maybe that's just the poor crop of remixers out there at the moment. Like Avicii!

My problem with the remixes is that most of them are very, very long. I think that some of the songs with lots of remixes have great versions but I always listen the edits. The problem is that most of the times they are promo only. Anyway, I think that if they make a good remix there's no problem if it has 2 or 20... Just take a look to "The power of good-bye". That song has not lots of remixes but for me, they are all horrible.

Guest Madomination

I think many of Madonna's best remixes are from the 1980s to late 1990s as they actually improved the songs.

Most of the ones that came later are indeed, too long, repetitive, and most sounded like they sped up her vocals to a generic house beat. Occasionally we might get one that's very good like Miles Away's Trendsetter Mix or Rauhofer's mix for Impressive Instant.

Guest Sweet Tooth

Still pissed we got only a 2-track CD single of Give Me All Your Luvin instead of a proper maxi and promo-only remix CD of Turn Up The Radio.

One good thing about Warners was that they were generous with giving fans CD maxi-singles for each single release. I still love collecting those.

I was impressed with the American life single remixes. Since than all remixs have pretty much been one dimensional. No real variety all sound like they come from some Romain nightclub.

Yes because Human Nature was one of her all time best maxis......

KIDDING!

Nah, I actually welcome it now. I embrace it, I enjoy variety.

You inspired me to listen to the "I'm Not Your Bitch" Mix tonight! :laugh:

But that's it ... not the rest of the maxi single. Couldn't do it. I could, however, listen to the entire Rescue Me maxi single, and that's all Shep-only remixes (well, with Goh Hotoda) ... but surely that's an exception. Next up is the JML maxi single, which has an amazing diversity of excellent remixes: original, William Orbit, Andre Betts, Shep Pettibone, and Lenny/Madonna!

[OH and had to dig out the "Demanding Dub" of "Rescue Me" because it's not on the maxi-single... dominate/freak/dominate/freak ... LOVE it.]

^ Yeah, Paul Oakenfold's and Felix's in particular. The Missy remix was kind of a letdown though.

Yeah, agreed. I was hoping for more from the Missy mix. But I love Paul Oakenfold's, and Felix's is pretty good, too. I was gonna say I preferred Felix's DAD to his AL, but I think I have that confused. I think the AL mix is a little more interesting. I should probably re-listen to them -- it's been a while. (Reminds me that the Dirty Vegas mix of DAD was good, too.)

^ I like Felix's DAD remix a lot too. That's the one with the creepy Theremin right? The reason I like his AL remix is because it actually changes the melody and rhythm of the lyrics. And the rap sounds better on all of the remixes.

^ Yeah, the Felix remix of DAD does have a creepy theremin -- it always made me think it would fit in well for a Halloween party playlist or something! :laugh: It also opens with her 'cold reading' of those couplets: "I think I'll find another way / There's so much more to know / I guess I'll die another day / It's not my time to go." I remember being excited to hear new vocals (sort of like how it was fun to hear the grammatically incorrect "I need to lay down" after her laughter in the longer album version -- because that wasn't on the radio version or on the maxi-single, actually). It makes a good ending, too: "It's not my time to go." (Oh, but it is! Ha!)

And yes, I thought the same thing about his AL mix -- funny that you mentioned it -- it is remarkable because the melody is completely changed by his mix. That's what made me think I probably liked the AL one a bit more ... some of the DAD mix he "changes" the melody but he does it by making it completely monotone -- just one note, so there's no more melody at all: "I'm gonna destroy my ego" for example, I think. All one note.

I also really like the Thunderpuss remix of DAD. It just hits so hard and then it's amazing when the strings finally come in after 7.5 minutes. Play it on full blast on a great system:

American Life remixes were great, they were varied amongst themselves, gave new spins to the songs and were listenable. I love the Erotica mixes but at times they can be a bit samey.

For the most part there are always a couple that are great though. HOWEVER

I have just been resorting all my singles out (my itunes deleted everything) and what on earth was going on with the Ray Of Light mixes? Mix after mix by the same people sounding basically the same (NRM)? I just listened to Luke Slater's Filtered Mix of TPOG - it's so fucking aggressive! I have a headache now. Did this stuff really work for M's fanbase? Did it bring her new fans from that fanbase? I wasn't there, but to me this is intense stuff, I can't see much crossover potential.

My problem with the remixes is that most of them are very, very long. I think that some of the songs with lots of remixes have great versions but I always listen the edits. The problem is that most of the times they are promo only. Anyway, I think that if they make a good remix there's no problem if it has 2 or 20... Just take a look to "The power of good-bye". That song has not lots of remixes but for me, they are all horrible.

The remixes for POG are probably the worst in her entire discography. I was really looking forward to those and am really into harder techno but those are just inexcusably lazy and horrible.

^ Yeah, Paul Oakenfold's and Felix's in particular. The Missy remix was kind of a letdown though.

Spoke to soon. The Missy Rx for AL is a tad worse.

You inspired me to listen to the "I'm Not Your Bitch" Mix tonight! :laugh:

But that's it ... not the rest of the maxi single. Couldn't do it. I could, however, listen to the entire Rescue Me maxi single, and that's all Shep-only remixes (well, with Goh Hotoda) ... but surely that's an exception. Next up is the JML maxi single, which has an amazing diversity of excellent remixes: original, William Orbit, Andre Betts, Shep Pettibone, and Lenny/Madonna!

[OH and had to dig out the "Demanding Dub" of "Rescue Me" because it's not on the maxi-single... dominate/freak/dominate/freak ... LOVE it.]

Hell yeah, I was gonna comment on Demanding Dub but you beat me to it. Still listen to that remix. Outstanding double pack but that remix in particular is bliss.

For me it's the Lifeboat Vocal with the Vogue style opening.

The first half of the nineties were the best era for her remixes in general but it was the time of the top house DJs too - Morales, Masters At Work, Mark Pichiotti, Vasquez.

Such a shame she now uses these generic electropop Djs now. Her remixes used to take a song in a new direction and inspire amazing performances - Express Yourself, Deeper and Deeper, Justify My Love. Now most of them are just disposable euro bar fodder.