R1 has moved on from Madonna now. Meanwhile, people have moved on from R1.

Django

if they keep lowering the audience age target they will end up putting XUXA on the play list for children from 0 to 10 yo

Omg there's this Gaga stan on ontd who always uses Xuxa gifs. I didn't know who she was before

You know what? Fuck them... What makes it even worse is that they use taxpayers' money to operate. These douchebags-DJs are getting paid by the state. Outrageous. It's not like they'll lose any advertising revenue if they play an older artist. They get paid to play good music and all the hits. Not to discriminate. Shame on BBC.

The problem is that even though they are becoming irrelevant they still reach every corner of the country and are quite influential. Unfortunately, their new strategy has made Capital and Kiss100 more ageist too because they have to compete with R1.

Robbie Williams complained last year. They ignored him but still "Candy" hit no1 on airplay I think.

They didn't play Maroon 5's Move Like Jagger until it had been in the top ten for about two months and they had to give in.

As for Madonna, let's face it, they're not the only ones who refused to play GGW and Revolver! Nobody played them! TUTR and GMAYL got a couple of spins on Radio 2 but really one could argue that the last few singles weren't good enough for many playlists.

I understand what Radio 1 is trying to do and I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about it. There are so many outlets for music now, one channel means nothing. As stated above Robbie William's Candy got to No. 1 (in sales chart) with no support from Radio 1.

Omg there's this Gaga stan on ontd who always uses Xuxa gifs. I didn't know who she was before

She's one of the biggest records seller in Brazil :lol: I'm sure she's the richest person in entertainment in Brazil.

It is time we have a Xuxa thread! :wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVwHJBQ5ZY

Me too. M was so beautiful! Anything is better than Gabriela's interview :lol:

That interview is so horrendous and precious at the same time. Lots of lols in there :lol:

Xuxa did good and you could see Madonna was in a good mood and happy to answer her.

Xuxa is the children's Madonna :3

She was my queen when I was 5 yo.

What I don't understand is why some people say they didn't play GGW or TUTR because they were "bad". First, this is subjective, and second, it's just plain stupid to think that radio channels play only good music... :huh: What the hell? If radio channels don't play Madonna is because they are ageist fuckers, not because she's not good anymore. They wouldn't play 90% of the current playlist if it was all about "quality".

Guest Sweet Tooth

Radio 1's 'target audience' is teens and the music reflects that. I think Robbie Williams had a similar problem getting played by Radio 1 too and also Kylie Minogue, so it's not just Madonna that's being discriminated against.

Somebody said earlier that more people listen to Radio 2 now anyway, who play Madonna regularly, so no loss really.

Also, most people stream music now.

Yet their little plan backfired when Robbie Williams "Candy" went #1.

Guest Sweet Tooth

I just googled Nick Grimshaw's age and he is born in 1984? WTF

He looks older tbh

He'll be 30 this year. Soon to be old for Radio 1.

Edited by Sweet Tooth