Hatred of Madonna ... Or not?

Shane

After the Grammys people were talking about the intensity of public hatred for Madonna, its general tone of hypocrisy, etc. And I agree, but have you ever noticed how easily the tide turns.

Case in point (and I have had many of these experiences over the years), I am invited to dinner at my neighbors' house last night. They are a very liberal hetero couple in their early 50s. Only other guests were myself, and a female cousin of the female hostess who is probably late 40s. The Grammys come up, the male host starts to say something about Madonna as the female cousin makes that low sigh of disapproval. I immediately grab the bull by the horns and exclaim "I thought Madonna was amazing! I love her!" They all give me the look I have seen so many times, where they politely try to comprehend that someone in their life who is sane, smart, professional, is claiming to be a huge fan of ... MADONNA? Then I tell them how she has inspired me since I was 6, pretty much saved my life, etc, and suddenly all three of them are chiming in: "I loves her in Evita!" "I always loved Vogue!" "She really is a legend" Hahahaha. Happens to me often. You know damn well if I had not been there, the talk would have revolved around how awful she is! The funny thing is, in these instances, I always feel like the positive comments reflect what they REALLY think.

I guess I feel like people think they are supposed to hate Madonna, and they just go with the crowd. When a real person in their life bothers to say "no, she's great," it frees them to say what they really feel. Or maybe I am just too positive, and they just don't want to offend me lmao.

Madonna bashing is bizarre, let's face it she's been going through a HUGE backlash since 2012, probably even worse than the SEX book backlash. For one thing this backlash has already lasted longer.

Everyone takes shots at Madonna today just for breathing it seems!

They say she's old, ugly, utalented, irrelevant etc.

Even when Madonna did 2 great performances this week people were still talking smack.

She can never catch a break anymore

Guest Not4Pussies

^true but the year started off with lots of negativity and hatred towards her. those two controversies on IG have not helped either.

The current public perception is most certainly at an all time "low"....the tremendous negative, hateful, ageist feedback after the Grammy's has been appalling and disturbing. Still, if anyone thinks they have something up on Madonna, they are fools, as she's been in the game longer than most of her critics have been wiping their own ass and she knows damn well the reaction she is going to cause. I mean, come on, the woman showed up dressed like a Quaker with a grill in her mouth and then took the stage as Colonel Sanders with a pimp strut and cane...she intends to piss people off and most of the public buys right into it, writing her off as "old, irrelevant, etc etc" yet it's that fury she conjures that keeps her solidified in pop culture.

I see "fans" on social media and in various comment sections stating "she's ruining her legacy, she's become a desperate clown, she's so scared of aging, its sad....too much plastic surgery, dressing too young, dating too young....etc etc"....but these comments are blatantly ignorant to the true Madonna legacy. She has built a career on never playing it safe, pissing people off and causing a stir simply by showing up. When it comes to outrageous appearances shall we cite Cannes 1991 or the 92' Gaultier show? What about the obvious biggies, Like a Prayer video, Justify My Love, Truth or Dare, Sex Book?

Why should she stop simply because she's of a certain age? That's the very reason NOT to stop. Its truly the attitude of a rebel. People just don't get it, they choose to see her as sad and desperate for relevance, yet they are forgetting that this is the same woman who defied allowing a male dominated industry or society to dictate her image, sexuality, and career, so she will be damned if they are going to dictate how she should age. It's not about being "desperate" as it is about saying "fuck you" to everyone who expects for her to strap on a designer gown, croon some ballads and gently fade into legendary obscurity.

She could easily and quietly live out the rest of her days enjoying the mass riches of her tremendous success, traveling the world, adopting more kiddies, building new orphanages, staying out of the limelight, but Madonna still rages and burns with that same rebellious fire that rocket launched her out of Michigan over 30 years ago. Apart of Madonna's mastery is her effortless ability to shit-start, and she is actually more herself these days than she was at the height of Kabbalah obsession and marriage to Ritchie.

In 30 years, they haven't learned, the more they scream and shout, the stronger her relevancy...the harder they try and pull her down, the more solidified she is as the master of public manipulation. She pulls their strings and they dance....every time.

AGE OF THE INTERNET. Every cunt with a keyboard can voice their opinion. It MAY SEEM like the hatred is bigger, but in reality, it's just more accessible. Nothing has changed. LOOK at the gross of MDNA TOUR and ALBUM.

She's a legend. People know it. Is she being fully respected for her contribution to music and pop culture? NO, of course not. But she NEVER has.

It's weird, though. I felt like she was at a high point with the Super Bowl, winning the Golden Globe, pre-orders for MDNA, etc, but then the tide turned after the album dropped. And it was by no means poorly reviewed, but I wonder if it had received ROL-Music-COADF levels of praise, if that would have helped her ride out a good wave for a while longer. Seems you never know how the public will go with her. I mean even when she's hated, she gets like three times the applause and cheers at awards shows as anyone else.

^true but the year started off with lots of negativity and hatred towards her. those two controversies on IG have not helped either.

NOT BUYING IT. SAME OLD SAME OLD.

AGE OF THE INTERNET. Every cunt with a keyboard can voice their opinion. It MAY SEEM like the hatred is bigger, but in reality, it's just more accessible. Nothing has changed. LOOK at the gross of MDNA TOUR and ALBUM.She's a legend. People know it. Is she being fully respected for her contribution to music and pop culture? NO, of course not. But she NEVER has.

THIS!!!!

Madonna could EASILY change the public tide to her favor with this next album. She has the money and the resources to get the best PR people in the biz and she can appear on ANY TV show that she wishes, she always brings in huge ratings.

But it's up to Madonna to "play the game". Sometimes I really do think that she doesn't care and that she likes fucking with people

I think it's becoming more frustrating for people to accept that she's growing old and refusing to adjust herself into this mould of what a mature woman should act. Ageism and sexism is becoming more and more apparent and it could only get worse.

What pisses me off the most is not what the media says or what the public thinks of her or the insults thrown at her by little monsters, in the end I couldn't care less about them... What drives me crazy is the fact that her own fans do that as well :(

I think it's becoming more frustrating for people to accept that she's growing old and refusing to adjust herself into this mould of what a mature woman should act. Ageism and sexism is becoming more and more apparent and it could only get worse.

What pisses me off the most is not what the media says or what the public thinks of her or the insults thrown at her by little monsters, in the end I couldn't care less about them... What drives me crazy is the fact that her own fans do that as well :(

:clap:

Huffington Post has been putting up some REALLY nice and complimentary stories on Madonna lately.

They just put up a story on "lost" M photos from when she was a teen and they call her a "natural beauty".

I thought they hated her? Which is kinda my point how a lot of media outlets will bash her and then 2 seconds later praise her

Even that vile TMZ guy said a few months ago that "all joking aside, Madonna is one of the biggest stars that ever lived."

After the Grammys people were talking about the intensity of public hatred for Madonna, its general tone of hypocrisy, etc. And I agree, but have you ever noticed how easily the tide turns.

Case in point (and I have had many of these experiences over the years), I am invited to dinner at my neighbors' house last night. They are a very liberal hetero couple in their early 50s. Only other guests were myself, and a female cousin of the female hostess who is probably late 40s. The Grammys come up, the male host starts to say something about Madonna as the female cousin makes that low sigh of disapproval. I immediately grab the bull by the horns and exclaim "I thought Madonna was amazing! I love her!" They all give me the look I have seen so many times, where they politely try to comprehend that someone in their life who is sane, smart, professional, is claiming to be a huge fan of ... MADONNA? Then I tell them how she has inspired me since I was 6, pretty much saved my life, etc, and suddenly all three of them are chiming in: "I loves her in Evita!" "I always loved Vogue!" "She really is a legend" Hahahaha. Happens to me often. You know damn well if I had not been there, the talk would have revolved around how awful she is! The funny thing is, in these instances, I always feel like the positive comments reflect what they REALLY think.

I guess I feel like people think they are supposed to hate Madonna, and they just go with the crowd. When a real person in their life bothers to say "no, she's great," it frees them to say what they really feel. Or maybe I am just too positive, and they just don't want to offend me lmao.

To me this sounds like people who probably like (or have liked) Madonna's work, but aren't necessarily fond of her as a personality, which I honestly can't blame them for in light of her public persona in the last... 15 years. My God has it been that long? Sorry I digress... Not to mention the media's portrayal of her. So, to be fair, I can understand their POV. I was disappointed with her appearance at the Grammys too. So I can only imagine what people who aren't true-blue lifelong fans think.

she's NEVER been hated like that before, that's a fact

Really? Or is this just the perception because of how accessible people are now to rant about their own biased shit. And we read it. (blogs, non-credential critics). Remember, this isnt the MASS opinion. It may feel like it is...but its just one person here and there typing away... that now has billions of people to read it thanks to the internet

I see that most negativity towards M comes from females not males (Monsters aside).

jealousy.jpg

I know there are a lot of nasty women out there who are horrible about Madonna, but I see just as many men. Piers Morgan, Elton John for example. I have noticed on some of the shows here, it is the females defending her from the views of some very sexist men who claim that she is too old to be performing. Either way, male or female, they all come across as ageist and petty.

To me this sounds like people who probably like (or have liked) Madonna's work, but aren't necessarily fond of her as a personality, which I honestly can't blame them for in light of her public persona in the last... 15 years. My God has it been that long? Sorry I digress... Not to mention the media's portrayal of her. So, to be fair, I can understand their POV. I was disappointed with her appearance at the Grammys too. So I can only imagine what people who aren't true-blue lifelong fans think.

15 years?

Yeah. I think it's the last time you said something positive about her.

I know there are a lot of nasty women out there who are horrible about Madonna, but I see just as many men. Piers Morgan, Elton John for example. I have noticed on some of the shows here, it is the females defending her from the views of some very sexist men who claim that she is too old to be performing. Either way, male or female, they all come across as ageist and petty.

Yeh, true.

I also think M's 'hard', non-conformist persona has always put people on edge who don't have the intelligence to process it.

It intimidates them and they react with hatred.

Fuck 'em all!

There have always been haters, even when Madonna was most popular, but I think the real backlash began after the Confessions Tour with all the Malawi adoption drama, and things haven't got much better since then.

^^ But yet she had the most successful tours! One being very recent, MDNA. People still go see her. It's the predictable haters that spew shit. GP still go and see her.