Is Music (the album) underrated?

madonnasuperfan01

Music to me has always been massively OVERATED! I only like 3 or 4 songs, and even then they aren't amazing. Music rode on ROL success. Erotica, Bedtime Stories and ROL are far, far better than Music IMO. Nobody's Perfect has to be one of the most horrendous songs Madonna has ever recorded.

I agree with that whole-heartedly. Unlistenable.

I do think the album is a little underrated in that aside from two tracks ("Nobody's Perfect" and "Runaway Lover"), the rest of the material is pretty strong. "Amazing" is a total rewrite of "Beautiful Stranger" but I'll allow it considering what got some amazing stuff on here like "Paradise", :What It Feels Like For a Girl", Don't Tell Me" and "Music".

Shade, Paula? :horn:

I'm just saying! I adore MDNA more than the average fan here does BUT it does feel very forced! It's just a different style and that's okay. American Life feels very forced as well in some parts. I still love them though!

Although the 'net was huge in 2000, I was not a regular poster on any forums at that time. So I have never been clear on what happened with the second single. If I remember correctly, WIFLFAG was mentioned in a couple of magazine articles around the album's release as the definite second single. At some point, obviously that changed. Was it the Letterman performance that caused DTM to become the second single? Good choice!

I do remember WIFLFAG getting played somewhat regularly on my local pop station, and I was surprised when it stalled at Number 23 on Billboard for like three weeks in a row! The R&R chart was also big back then, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it higher on that. Similar to how "Rain" was a top 5 smash on R&R but a respectable number 14 on Billboard.

I adore Nobody's perfect but i understand it must be hard on the ears of people used to listen to Adele, Coldplay or Phil Collins.

I will never understand why some people react defensively to a different opinion as if it is an attack on their own tastes. Yes, of course, all the people who hate "Nobody's Perfect" only like Adele, Coldplay or Phil Collins. :dazed:

I adore Nobody's perfect but i understand it must be hard on the ears of people used to listen to Adele, Coldplay or Phil Collins.

I pity those easy listener types.

I pity those easy listener types.

:laugh: People have different tastes but it is possible to love all sorts of music. Madonna fans in general have a broad range of music they love - pop, classical, country and western, alternative, rock, rap, heavy metal - the list goes on. I myself love virtually all of Madonna's music and let's face it, she has a diverse range of styles which I applaud her for.

Also, Madonna herself loves Adele and music from old Hollywood musicals. She adored Julie Andrews and has also mentioned her love for Karen Carpenter. ( you can't get more easy listening than that ) Embrace all sorts of music and don't pity or look down on anything for their tastes.

:laugh: People have different tastes but it is possible to love all sorts of music. Madonna fans in general have a broad range of music they love - pop, classical, country and western, alternative, rock, rap, heavy metal - the list goes on. I myself love virtually all of Madonna's music and let's face it, she has a diverse range of styles which I applaud her for.

Also, Madonna herself loves Adele and music from old Hollywood musicals. She adored Julie Andrews and has also mentioned her love for Karen Carpenter. ( you can't get more easy listening than that ) Embrace all sorts of music and don't pity or look down on anything for their tastes.

yeah, true. i LOVE madonna's easy listening stuff. much of i'm breathless, something to remember and bedtime stories, for example.

It's still on my regular rotation, and over time there are songs I love and some that I don't love as much.

Impressive Instant still blows me away, the "singy singy singy, like a bird on a wingy wingy wingy" should've never worked, but it still puts a smile on my face every time.

Paradise (not for me) is haunting and brilliant.

Gone is perfect.

Music is still fresh and funky to me.

I Deserve It is such a great song.

The only 2 songs I don't really care for too much anymore are Amazing and WIFLFAG. It's not that I dislike them, but I just haven't felt the need to hear them for a while.

So, yes I do think it's an underrated album, and I think a lot of fans are turned off by the lack of cohesion from track to track. I prefer the sonic scavenger hunt of Music, it's a fun and thoughtful album. But because ROL ( although a masterpiece) could be a bit too "concept" sonically, I usually skip around more than other albums.

Music is a succinct statement. Short and to the point. I like that.

I LOVE Nobody's Perfect! :thumbsup:

Amazing was a rewrite of BS which was based on the backing track for one of WO's remixes of ROL :)

As for WIFLFAG being the second single, that was the rumour at the time, but it was changed to DTM before the album was even released (so before the Letterman appearance).

I remember very clearly preferring "Music" to ROL, and then I preferred AL to "Music". Same for COADF.

As for WIFLFAG being the second single, that was the rumour at the time, but it was changed to DTM before the album was even released (so before the Letterman appearance).

I think WIFLFAG was confirmed as the 2nd single around the time the single debuted, but then madonnamusic.com or whatever her url was back in the day said that she "wanted something more upbeat", so Don't Tell Me became the 2nd single.

I've been listening to this album a lot lately and I just love it. None of the songs have lost their luster. The album to me is Madonna at her most irreverent and her most human.

Although the 'net was huge in 2000, I was not a regular poster on any forums at that time. So I have never been clear on what happened with the second single. If I remember correctly, WIFLFAG was mentioned in a couple of magazine articles around the album's release as the definite second single. At some point, obviously that changed. Was it the Letterman performance that caused DTM to become the second single? Good choice!

I do remember WIFLFAG getting played somewhat regularly on my local pop station, and I was surprised when it stalled at Number 23 on Billboard for like three weeks in a row! The R&R chart was also big back then, and I wouldn't be surprised if it made it higher on that. Similar to how "Rain" was a top 5 smash on R&R but a respectable number 14 on Billboard.

Thanks, i didn't knew about that! It would have been a mistake, DTM was the perfect second single for this album.

I REALLY don't get all the dislike Amazing is getting, it's one of my favourites from Music. So damn catchy and her voice at the very beginning is really beautiful.

shade........

i don't understand people saying, like a dismiss, amazing is a rewrite of bs or i'm a sinner is a copy of bs...they come from the same writing couple....the style is the same.....duh...

and nip is a great track...in the vein of secret garden, mer girl and others....

the dislike of amazing by most people is because it is just a copy of BS. nothing new, fresh etc.....just a copy....lazy william.

I fail to see how it's a copy. It never crossed my mind and i love both songs.

i don't understand people saying, like a dismiss, amazing is a rewrite of bs or i'm a sinner is a copy of bs...they come from the same writing couple....the style is the same.....duh...

and nip is a great track...in the vein of secret garden, mer girl and others....

Well said! BS and Amazing have a similar style but they're not copies, the melodies are clearly different.

I love Music album. I think is her best record ever.

:thumbsup:

I listened to it yesterday, and then went on to have a bit of a fieldday and listened to AL, COADF, HC and MDNA.

I've never been a huge fan of Music... the production is quirky and solid, her vocals are beautiful, the mixing is good, the songwriting is lovely... but it doesn't work for me I can never get behind it. Though that said, I couldn't tell you why for the life of me.

American Life on the other hand :dramatic:

That album has aged magnificently. The flow is wonderful, the tracks beautiful at best, and jarring at worst: but I think the key difference is AL seeks to be jarring in every way, therefore even when the tracks jarring is unpleasant it's hardly unsuccessful. When Music is soppy and clichéd I think it's a failure because while she may have been trying for simple/classic she probably wasn't going for wet fish.

*apologises for derailing thread*

I think Music is rare in M's canon in that it is neither under nor overrated and is actually recognised solidly as what it is. The only other one of her works I can think that is viewed quite as fairly is Like a Virgin.

I agree.

I think WIFLFAG was confirmed as the 2nd single around the time the single debuted, but then madonnamusic.com or whatever her url was back in the day said that she "wanted something more upbeat", so Don't Tell Me became the 2nd single.

I've been listening to this album a lot lately and I just love it. None of the songs have lost their luster. The album to me is Madonna at her most irreverent and her most human.

I've always had the impression that Warner was behind the releases of Sorry and WIFLFAG. I know M really liked Girl, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had other songs in mind for the 3rd single. WB must of picked it as a "safe" choice, then she retaliated by going all out for the video with Guy by making it "controversial."

Then there was the fiasco where WB wanted Amazing with a live music video from the tour, so M replaced the song with Beautiful Stranger.

As for Sorry, well we knew it was going to be second single even before HU released. I bet M really wanted Get Together, she never even bothered to perform Sorry on the promo tour.

I've never been too sure about that rumour of WIFLFAG being the 2nd single. Don't Tell Me always seemed like the most obvious single. I have a feeling that the rumour started because in the UK the CD came with an extra Madonna Catalog booklet, and by the side of Music it stated "featuring the hit singles American Pie, Music and What It Feels Like For A Girl".

Listened to this today, and it's absolutely my second favorite Madonna cd after LAP. It's possible it will take over the top spot one day. Not a single wasted second or boring moment for me. So many highlights: the second time she sings the killer vocal bridge in Runaway Lover; the "and I thank you" at the end of I Deserve It; the moment when all the instruments fade away and it's just her singing in "Amazing"; the final, mournful "what it feels like in this world" in WIFLFAG; the epic scope of Paradise; the beauty that is Gone. Oh, and the "uh, uh, uh" hotness in the title track.