If you had to choose ten Madonna songs.....

StrawberryBounce12

That you think best define or represent Madonna as an all around artist, what would they be?

This was so hard! I changed my list so many times. There were so many faves I left out but ultimate these are the ones I chose when thinking of songs that I think represent Madonna in terms of who she is as an artist and how well rounded she is. I think these songs give a good idea as well of how diverse of an artist she is. M can sing pretty much any genre of music :dramatic:

1)Holiday

2)Like A Prayer

3)Ray of Light

4)Human Nature

5)Oh Father

6)Like a Virgin

7)Vogue

8)Secret

9)Don't Cry For Me Argentina

10)Paradise (Not For Me)

This isnt my personal top 10 favorite, but I am going with a list of songs that I personally think are her most iconic, even though I don't think this is exactly what you are asking for.

Songs that you had to have lived under a rock to have never heard. Songs that are SIGNATURE Madonna classics. Songs that represent Madonna in her most pure form.

1. Holiday

2. Like a Virgin

3. Material Girl

4.Into the Groove

5. Papa Don't Preach

6. Like a Prayer

7. Express Yourself

8. Vogue

9. Ray of Light

10. Music

If I could put a #11 it would be Hung Up.

Since it's purely hypothetical, I'm gonna choose the 10 songs that I think represent her persona in the media; a summary of 'Madonna' as NON-fans see her (not the most popular songs by any means).

Lucky Star

Material Girl

Open Your Heart

Justify My Love

Human Nature

What It Feels Like for a Girl

Die Another Day

Like it or Not

Hung Up

Give It 2 Me

What?

Bye Bye Baby is a good representation of her stance on relationships: "I keep on waiting. Anticipating... but I can't wait forever!"

And Nobody's Perfect is an equally wonderful & understandable choice. I think everyone's choices say a lot about how they interpret Madonna.

This isn't a favorites list. (edit: or maybe it is.)

Live To Tell

Like A Prayer

Frozen

Secret

Let It Will Be

Burning Up

Music

Deeper And Deeper

Give it 2 Me

Into The Groove

This is an interesting subject. 10 was difficult because I felt I could have added a few more styles. I didn't look at anyone else's post until I posted mine to see how it compares.

Here's my 10

La Isla Bonita

Don't Tell Me

Shanti Ashtangi

X-Static Process

Like A Prayer

Secret

Hanky Panky

You'll See

Skin

American Life

These aren't necessarily my personal favorites. I went with songs that show her diversity as an artist.

Edit: There seems to be a couple of themes going on. If I picked a song I feel defines Madonna, it would be Express Yourself.

Are you asking for our 10 personal faves or 10 that most define her?

Define. It's not really about your personal faves. It's about the songs you think define or best represent Madonna as an artist.

Say you want to introduce someone who has never heard of Madonna (I don't think that exists lol) to her music. Which songs would you choose that would give the best impression of who she is an artist? That's basically the idea.

The songs I chose aren't necessarily my fave Madonna songs ever but they are the songs that I think represent who she is best as an all around artist.

My Definitive Playlist:

1) Holiday (Disco Dolly)

2) Borderline (The Street Urchin)

3) Like a Virgin (Mix of Virgin/Whore)

4) Into the Groove (Dancing Queen)

5) Live to Tell (The Personal Side)

6) Like a Prayer (Challenger of Religious Mores)

7) Vogue (Old Hollywood Glamour)

8) Erotica (Pure Sex)

9) Frozen (Electronic Drama)

10) Music (Ultimate Party Girl)

Madonna as a true music artist showed that pop music doesn't have to be just catchy and shallow, she showed pop music as serious and artistic. Here is the list that represents Madonna as an artist:

1. Bedtime Story

2. Vogue

3. Deeper And Deeper

4. Oh Father

5. Secret Garden

6. Like A Prayer

7. Express Yourself

8. Frozen

9. Justify My Love

10. Papa Don't Preach

Say you want to introduce someone who has never heard of Madonna (I don't think that exists lol) to her music. Which songs would you choose that would give the best impression of who she is an artist? That's basically the idea.

Oh okay now this part is interesting, bc if it was just the "10 Best that define her" my answer would simply be that all 10 come before the year 2000 (keep in mind that many of my personal faves are post-2000). But if it's what you say... 10 songs that would introduce someone to Madonna that give the best impression. ... hmmm lemme think...

Here's my list (random order) and this was kinda tough lol..

Future Lovers

Papa Dont Preach

Vogue

LAP

LAV

Express Yourself

Deeper & Deeper

Into The Groove

Frozen

Candy Perfume Girl (lol now I understand why that other person had Nobody's Perfect on their list)

Damn there's so much more than 10! Can't forget Music and Paradise Not For Me, something from AL and of course GIVE IT 2 ME. This is hard!

I think any list like this needs to have a mix of dance songs and ballads as well as hits and album tracks, so here's my attempt:

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Like a Prayer

Oh Father

Vogue

Secret Garden

Frozen

The Power of Good-bye

Music

Easy Ride