Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

johnnox

Guest Rachelle of London

Its so annoying when you see comments like M isnt big in the UK anymore because she divorced Guy. No one gives a fuck about Guy Ritchie here, he was only relevant cos of Madonna. I only hear people laughing at him because he pretends to be some East End cockney when really he is related to the Royal Family!

Well, I much prefer the MDNA version of CS (and the S&S version for that matter) and it has nothing to do with her outfits.

They all sound like Candy Shop to me.

I became a fan of CS after MDNA. I thought it was the worst song on HC when I first heard it . Also her everythhhanaang performance on SS tour was her worst opening number ever imo.

When I first heard HC I was sorely disappointed . I thought it sounded kind of dated and .. old . The didn't like the voice , the production , The lyrics .The Timbaland's tracks sounded like JT's leftovers .

To me it will always be Madonna's menopausal /Mid Life Crisis album .

Sorry. Please don't kill me.

HC is clearly musically underrated

Exactly, but that's also my problem with HC, because who did the music?

The album has great melodies and good beats. Both Pharrell and Timbaland did well. The lyrics, on the other hand, are awful. And so are Madonna'd vocals.

How do you explain the 15 years of chart dominance in the UK before she met Guy?

After a noticeable slump in the mid-90's, I think it's safe to say the love affair between Madonna and the British press and public was at an all time high from '98-'05. It seems like she was embraced in a different way than in her 80's zenith....they were actually NICE...lol. That happened of course AFTER adopting a more Euro sound, totally immersing herself in the culture, marrying Guy. I'm not saying she wouldn't have seen somewhat of a rise in popularity at some point anyways, but I think all of the above factors expedited that process drastically. Then cut to 2008, it was like a different person practically compared to the 2000 version of Madonna. I'm NOT saying the British press and public threw their hands up and said "WELL....she's all American now, I hate her again!" I just think between the more American sounding music, just not showing as much interest in the culture (I mean she wasn't shooting pheasants anymore and posing with chickens in the countryside anymore OK? lol), having an overall more slutty image, screwing 20 somethings at 50 something and spending the majority of her time in NYC vs London, just was naturally not as attractive and many people lost interest or were just turned off.

Sorry, but I HIGHLY doubt had ROL turned out to be another Babyface collab vs. a more Euro sound and if she hadn't started spending the majority of her time there that the love affair the British press/fans had with Madonna during those years would've reached quite the zenith that it did. The higher you rise the harder you fall and that's what happened in this case IMO.

Erotica, AL, and BS -- all superior albums on every level -- have all generated just as many polarizing opinions, if not more. The ones who think HC is one of her best albums are in the clear minority. All you have to do it look at one of the "rank Madonna's albums" threads. It's become one of the most disliked Madonna albums ever and despite attempts like this thread, I just don't see it becoming beloved/respected the way Erotica and even AL have.

I have to add that I don't think it's a bad album by any means, and there are a bunch of great tracks/ideas on it. But overall it's one of her weaker efforts in a career filled with pretty damn great albums.

Where besides the diehard Madonna fan community has Erotica and AL become respected or beloved? Is it because Nelly Furtado Tweeted AL was ahead of it's time?? lol Just because some of her diehard fans have finally come around to those albums doesn't equate some sort of universal appreciation for them as seems to be implied often around here. The general public for the most part could care less and especially in the case of AL still find it as tragic as in 2003. I WILL give you the benefit of the doubt about some of the critics regarding Erotica, yeah....a few snobby music critics have come around to it....big whoop. If you look at her biggest sellers on itunes I don't think tracks from either of those albums rank among her best selling. Overall, I think the general public doesn't even remember AL and they remember SEX but not Erotica.

Left-field Madonna is the best version of herself artistically. Madonna can compete with any group -- the mainstream radio chasing set and the alternative crowd -- although when Madonna goes left she does make it sound mainstream except on AMERICAN LIFE.

Guest SecretGarden

Hard Candy was released when the Timbaland trend was dying, even the throw back to the 80s funk sound was coincidental, a lot of Hard Candy is about the Timbaland/Timberlake sound. Just because disco and funk inspired songs are popular at the moment has nothing to do with Hard Candy.

Madonna to me has never been cutting edge musically, she's always been "on time" with the musical trends (with HC and MDNA falling a bit behind), even something like American Life has the whole French pop sound to it which was already popular thanks to bands like Air, Madonna may seem cutting edge to the general public but those who listen to stuff outside of top 40 can see she really isn't.

What Madonna is best at, in the musical sense, is writing incredible pop songs that are timeless, her best albums are the ones where the songwriting is the main focus and not the genre.

Edited by SecretGarden

Well I think she just did a bunch of songs with both and then picked the best songs for the album. pharrell ended up with more songs. I suspect she clicked with him more than Timbaland. Which isn't surprising.

I love the story she told Cynthia Nixon, how pharell made her cry and he said "madonna has a heart?" Iol

Guest bluejean

Where besides the diehard Madonna fan community has Erotica and AL become respected or beloved?

Well I think that's what he was referring to? Erotica is definitely a fan favorite and I think a lot of the public and media's disinterest in it centres around the Sex book backlash. It's otherwise considered a great album by a majority of her hardcore fans that were loyal or open minded enough to give it a chance. A lot of the love for it is for the era in general too, I think a lot of people consider it a creative highlight for her. That's the impression I get anyway.

American Life to a much lesser degree. A lot of people loathe that album and a lot are indifferent to it. It didn't have any backlash to drag it down, just flop singles and reviews. But some fans love it and declare it her best album. I personally think its a good album but very un-Madonna sound wise.

I wonder what's Glen close's opinion on Hard Candy, she is a well know confessions fan.

I asked Glen, and she is in agreement, Hard Candy was behind the times. She much preferred Loose, and 20 years old.

Well 3 of those pages were Gugu not understanding what avant garde means

Exactly. Splitting hairs about that shit. Hence close the thread.

Debating whether Hard Candy is ahead of time or not is fine. To turn the thread into a debate about the meaning of avant garde is why it should be closed.

Anyway...

No need to cry pussyfuckers, just because I use words in the correct context.

Erotica, AL, and BS -- all superior albums on every level -- have all generated just as many polarizing opinions, if not more. The ones who think HC is one of her best albums are in the clear minority. All you have to do it look at one of the "rank Madonna's albums" threads. It's become one of the most disliked Madonna albums ever and despite attempts like this thread, I just don't see it becoming beloved/respected the way Erotica and even AL have.

I have to add that I don't think it's a bad album by any means, and there are a bunch of great tracks/ideas on it. But overall it's one of her weaker efforts in a career filled with pretty damn great albums.

That's all rather subjective. Especially considering that people here suddenly decide they love a Madonna album ten years after its release. Some people need time to catch up. Some people get lost in the wave of hearsay and publicity (whether good or bad). Some people just like to go against popular opinion. I love many songs on the HC album and I'll listen to it as much as most other Madonna albums. Whether loved or not, it has quality. Why can't people just say 'I don't like that album' instead of trying to manipulate reality in order to reconcile their negative feelings on a Madonna album? So dumb.

Thank you!

Or Celebration becoming a Top 3 hit a year AFTER the divorce?

Its so annoying when you see comments like M isnt big in the UK anymore because she divorced Guy. No one gives a fuck about Guy Ritchie here, he was only relevant cos of Madonna. I only hear people laughing at him because he pretends to be some East End cockney when really he is related to the Royal Family!

So, so dumb. I don't know what is wrong with these people.

580409_322980521168580_1115362598_n.jpg

:dead: where do you find this stuff?! :dead: So wanna read that story.

No, HC wasn't ahead of his time. In fact, he was way behind the curve. Even if the sound of 2006 is partially back on the radio, it would be embarrassing to suggest that's HC who paved the way (it would actually be a ridiculous suggestion, worthy of Lambs and Monsters behavior).

Is this a real person or a model?

photo-747.jpg?_r=1343750068

I believe CANDY SHOP is the best song from the HARD CANDY sessions.

602532-james-hird.jpg

Johnnox, I like that photo of you and in that photo, you somehow remind me of Aussie rules football legend James Hird.

I'm sorry but I think it's ridiculous to suggest there is ZERO correlation between Madonna becoming more "Americanized", turning 50, slutting it up again and her popularity dip in the UK. It was pretty much immediate and blatantly obvious. I'm not saying the British press/public hold Guy Ritchie up on some pedestal and were oh so offended that she divorced him but come on......to completely deny ALL of those events collectively didn't have some sort of effect on her image over there is completely ridiculous to me.

It's just like when she was spending all of her time over there, speaking in what many Americans perceived to be a "British accent", doing Euro music and adopting a more "stuffy" attitude.......many felt it was like she was shunning her culture and where she came from (not saying I agree at all....but that was not an unpopular perception during those years). I don't think anybody would disagree that Madonna going "British" affected her image here in America at the time. It was WIDELY recognized with all the jokes and disses from the American press and public during those years. It was recognized by the diehard fans when comparing how the British press treated her like a Queen and the American press treated her like a traitor.

Some fans will disagree with me,but I think it would be cool if Madonna worked with Pharrell again.He's a great producer and I bet he would come up with even stronger material than what he produced on HC.He seems to be "hot" again,appearing on *two* songs that are in the Top 10 right now.He has regained his creative inspiration.

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm sorry but I think it's ridiculous to suggest there is ZERO correlation between Madonna becoming more "Americanized", turning 50, slutting it up again and her popularity dip in the UK. It was pretty much immediate and blatantly obvious. I'm not saying the British press/public hold Guy Ritchie up on some pedestal and were oh so offended that she divorced him but come on......to completely deny ALL of those events collectively didn't have some sort of effect on her image over there is completely ridiculous to me.

It's just like when she was spending all of her time over there, speaking in what many Americans perceived to be a "British accent", doing Euro music and adopting a more "stuffy" attitude.......many felt it was like she was shunning her culture and where she came from (not saying I agree at all....but that was not an unpopular perception during those years). I don't think anybody would disagree that Madonna going "British" affected her image here in America at the time. It was WIDELY recognized with all the jokes and disses from the American press and public during those years. It was recognized by the diehard fans when comparing how the British press treated her like a Queen and the American press treated her like a traitor.

So how would you explain her securing a hit with Celebration here in 2009, or an MDNA album track being the most requested song in history on the biggest radio station in the UK or havin 3 sold out 2 stadium and one arena performances on MDNA Tour. (lets not even include S&S Part 2) The reason MDNA singles didnt do well here is because the single choices were crap. There was ZERO promo in the UK. Simple! The singles didnt do much better in the USA, Ms sudden boost in America wasn't due to her divorcing an Englishmen it was her Superbowl performance.

COADF was a return to Madonna "slutting it up" a 48 year old woman dancing about in a leotard. Yet that has been one of Madonna's most successful eras here in the UK. To the average Brit Madonna has always been outrageous and pretty scandalous. When she lived here and spoke with that AWFUL faux British accent, she was mocked to death.

an MDNA album track being the most requested song in history on the biggest radio station in the UK

What and when was this?

Guest Rachelle of London

What and when was this?

MAsterpiece- most requested song on Radio 2, it was moved to their first playlist, its the only MDNA song people actually heard on the radio

MAsterpiece- most requested song on Radio 2, it was moved to their first playlist, its the only MDNA song people actually heard on the radio

Blimey

:blink: