MDNA Promo Discussion - "non-traditional campaign"?

Apples388

I'm wondering if Madonna is aware of the poor performance. She says she doesn't watch TV or read magazines. She will be getting her updates from Guy and there are enough positives for her to keep thinking the album is performing well - number one worldwide, highest debut sales of 2012 in US etc.

How much does she know?

I doubt she knows much. She didn't even care to follow the sales on opening week and it came as a surprise that it was #1. I'm not saying it as a negative, just slightly surprised at it because in past records she was all like I OPENED CHAMPAGNES AND WAS CRYING etc

I just can't with some of these comments....all I can say is get a clue people. Since GIRLIE SHOW fans have bitched about the new material vs the amount of old material and it REALLY reached a fevered pitch with DWT....the tour that was promoting the UNTOUCHABLE ROL (and Music)....which were peaks in her career.....yet people STILL wanted the 80's stuff. Yet the next tour, on the heels of a "flop" album she managed to have one of the highest grossing tours of the year...and again after that....and AGAIN after that, beating her own records every time.

Yeah, it sucks that this album will most likely be the lowest selling of her career but I can remember predicting that in 2008 when everybody was bitching about the quality of HC. I distinctly remember saying no matter the quality, or critical reception of her next album it will most likely sell less than HC..... well here we are 4 years later and it looks like that prediction is right on track. Just call me Nostradamus. :sassy:

Step into reality folks....this is 2012 album sales are shit, Madonna is 53 and mostly seen as a legacy artist. She may have a fluke hit here and there and she'll probably continue to have very nice first weeks like she did last week. This is the second era in a row where people are losing their shit and this time it's not even really about the music itself as it was last era. STRANGELY enough the loudest voices this time were the loudest last time....lol.....WHAT. A. SHOCKER. :shock:

This is a discussion forum. People have a right to say how they feel. A lot of us are pissed off that they have messed this

era up. If you don't like it you can always stay out of the thread or use the ignore button. We know she is going to have a

successful tour we get it. It doesn't make up for the fact that this era has been badly managed. The fact the her team are panicking

and trying to throw together some lame tv interviews at this stage in the game says it all.

All the focus is the tour and no promo but how about "us" fans here in far away, always ignored South East Asia who has never seen Madonna live in concert... besides a great album, few magazine covers in major publications and tv appearances will make me somehow happy.

Get her on the VMA's, EMA's or some stupid show like that for gods sake and make her perform the next single, which I hope is GANG BANG.

This should have been one of her biggest come backs ever, especially after a pause of 4 years. MDNA is a great fucking album. Its still beyond me how they managed to COMPLETELY screw it over.

http://madonnascrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/04/roger-friedmans-hate-toward-madonna.html

Roger Friedman's Hate Toward #Madonna Continues and is Funded by @Forbes Magazine.

Roger Friedman, formerly of and fired by Fox News, has publicly had it out for Madonna for as long as I can remember. Everything from her involvement with the Kabbalah, the adoption of her son, pitting her against Mariah Carey and every other female singer. Appalling that Forbes Magazine has hired him and allows his Madonna public smear campaign to continue via their magazine.

Just read the screen cap below.

tumblr_m2cghoYH5J1qlycwjo2_500.png

This says it all: She does whatever she wants, to whomever she wants, whenever she wants. No one stops her.

Remove Roger Friedman from Forbes.

Write Roger's editor at Forbes: Coats Bateman

Cbateman@forbes.com

It's time for Roger Friedman to go! His hateful,anti-Madonna talk has gone too far.

Guest dcfma

Why does it seem like it was more important for Madonna/management to properly promote W.E.

than her first album in 4 years. I think most musicians in the world would die to have the

marketing power/brand Madonna has and she wastes it.

I know she will make tons of money from the tour. . . But is that all that matters to her now?

I know she will make tons of money from the tour. . . But is that all that matters to her now?

And more importantly, how much longer does she think the touring thing is going to last for? if her tour is going to flop too then what?

On another forum,I predicted the same thing a year ago ;) I had a feeling that Madonna's album would sell less than Hard Candy,regardless of how it sounds.Record sales are rapidly declining and each year,it gets worse and worse.Even the young,"hot" artists don't sell alot of records these days (Adele being one of the few exceptions).Pretty soon,reaching 100k will be seen as a major accomplishment,lol.

Lets be real though, if she actually released a good damn lead single (god knows this album has plenty of potential hits) and cared to promote her music instead of her fucking movie, this would've never happened. OH WELL WHAT CAN U DO.

Lets be real though, if she actually released a good damn lead single (god knows this album has plenty of potential hits) and cared to promote her music instead of her fucking movie, this would've never happened. OH WELL WHAT CAN U DO.

+ 1 :thumbsup:

that's true ;)

I'm wondering if Madonna is aware of the poor performance. She says she doesn't watch TV or read magazines. She will be getting her updates from Guy and there are enough positives for her to keep thinking the album is performing well - number one worldwide, highest debut sales of 2012 in US etc.

How much does she know?

:clap:

+ 1

Exactly what I've been thinking.

How much does she know?

IMO she will be made aware by LN or Interscope, if they feel there is a problem with sales that needs to be addressed. Who knows if either really care if it does much more business than it already has? Reports in the media- if she reads them or not- must be shrugged off as business as usual at this point?

Liz Rosenberg on MDNA Sales Drop: “The Game Ain’t Over!”

When asked about reports saying that MDNA has already crashed and burned, Madonna’s longtime publicist, Liz Rosenberg, had something to say to the Huffington Post…

“Can’t deny that there [was] a drop on the second week of sales, and a significant one, but I would not say the CD tanked.

It still has had the highest debut of 2012 and was number one in many countries.

And the game ain’t over.”

Madonna’s MDNA sales may have plummeted in the new record’s second week of release, but her entourage say it would be foolish to count the Queen of Pop out just yet.

An unnamed friend of Madonna told the Huffington Post…

“This is Madonna’s 12th album in a 30-year career.

She just beat Elvis’ record for number ones in the UK.

That’s a career that anyone in the music business would kill to have.

Plus, she did no traditional TV appearances to promote it.

Just wait until her sold-out tour starts and more singles are released.

That’s when Madonna will start pushing the CD hard.”

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/04/12/liz-rosenberg-on-mdna-sales-drop-the-game-aint-over/

Roger updated his article :lmao:Madonna also dropped from number 1 to number 8 on Billboard. Her Deluxe Edition is at around number 45 on BarnesandNoble.com.

do ppl really buy music from B&N these day? like who gives...

looks like he's turning into a loon.

Is this the end of Madonna?

You’d think that having your latest album debut at the top of the Billboard chart would be sufficient to be considered a roaring success. Not this time. The halftime performance at the Super Bowl couldn’t save her. The coy references to Ecstasy and the whipped up feud with Deadmau5 and the being deemed too racy for network television again couldn’t save her. Even that lofty perch on the charts couldn’t save her. This week, Madonna will have the distinction of setting the record for the biggest sales drop in chart history, as numbers of her album “MDNA” plummeted a staggering 88 percent. Oh, how the Madgesty has fallen.

What happened? How did one of the most durable brands in pop music tumble so spectacularly? Well, part of the explanation can be found in the way the early numbers for “MDNA” were so cleverly goosed. As the Hollywood Reporter explained Tuesday,  the album has been offered as part of a concert ticket package, which “skewed the initial numbers reported by Nielsen SoundScan.” Clearly, Madonna is now taking her “We’ll throw in the tickets WINK WINK” salesmanship cues from Craigslist. The other thing that happened is that the album, to many ears, sounded like a tepid, mechanical rehash of her previous hits. She’s weathered mediocre sales and scathing reviews in the past, but there is something about this particularly epic tumble from chart domination that suggests a powerful shift in the sway Madonna holds over popular culture.

Madonna was, a generation ago, ideally suited to the new era of music television — simultaneously pleasing and provocative, with an innate knack for novelty. That mutability has sustained her throughout her nearly 30-year career. But reinvention can get exhausting — if not for the seemingly tireless performer, for audiences. She’s still regularly referred to as a “material girl” who’s “like a virgin,” despite the fact the chirpy vixen of yesteryear is now a 53-year-old mother of four. She’s the cross-burning, saint-kissing heroine of “Like a Prayer,” the temptress of “Erotica,” the Kabbalah queen of “Ray of Light,” the gold tooth thing and the Che thing and the cowboy hat thing and the Jazzercize thing.

Along the way, Madonna has influenced legions of the stars who’ve shimmied in her wake. But now, all those decades worth of little Madonnas have splintered off and become their own entities. To compare a younger star to icons as diverse as Whitney Houston or Reba McEntire is to evoke a woman with a lengthy career but a relatively consistent sound and image. To say someone is like Madonna poses the question: Which Madonna? These day’s we’ve got Gaga for flamboyant, “Express Yourself”-era Madonna. Katy Perry for both Kewpie Doll “Lucky Star” Madonna and confessional, “Truth or Dare” Madonna. Where once went Madonna’s “Erotica,” now goes Rihanna, circa “S&M” and beyond. For flirty, dancey Madonna, there’s Beyonce. For relentless, magpie-like appropriation of whatever she can get her hands on, have you met M.I.A.? Or is can’t-really-sing, self-invented, inescapable Madonna more your thing? Hello, Ke$ha. Hello, Lana Del Rey.

But Madonna’s precipitous sales drop isn’t some sob story of the perils of growing older in the entertainment industry and being supplanted by newer models. Both Bruce Springsteen and Lionel Richie, after all, have albums currently resting comfortably in the Billboard top 10. Nor is this some sad, mature chick-specific disaster. If it were, Nicki Minaj and Adele would not currently be eating Bonnie Raitt’s dust on the iTunes album chart. Nor would Susan Boyle, who only started her career as a talent show dark horse in her late 40s, have racked up three successful albums and a hit musical in the past three years.

Poor album sales be damned, don’t cry for Madonna yet. This year alone, she’s managed to win a Golden Globe and launch a fragrance, and she’s set to embark on a six-month-long world tour. Her influence may now be diluted and her album sales in steep decline, but she’ll always find a way to insinuate herself in the pop culture landscape. Her image may be legendarily fluid, but the one thing she’s always been consistent about is her steely skill at survival.

But the thing about Madonna is that she has never been entirely Madonna. She’s forever just the newest iteration of Madonna. It’s easy to imagine the Adele of 30 years hence, deeply matured like the Boss or Elvis Costello, but still delivering husky heartache. Over time, what matters less as an artist isn’t so much adaptability but authenticity. And authenticity has never been Ms. Ciccone’s strong suit.

BY MARY ELIZABETH WILLIAMS of salon.com

i thought it is absurd write up..evryone is so busy writing madonna is over..WTF..

well, second day in barcelona (arena) is not sold out, Paris and Nice, her only shows in france,stadiums, aren´t sold out. same with Milan...

this is the beggining of the end!!!! scary!!!

well, second day in barcelona (arena) is not sold out, Paris and Nice, her only shows in france,stadiums, aren´t sold out. same with Milan...

Apparently Dublin and Belguim sales are not great either. Hyde Park has been on sale for a

couple months and still has not sold out.

Apparently Dublin and Belguim sales are not great either. Hyde Park has been on sale for a

couple months and still has not sold out.

all of this while according to reports Gaga is expected to sell out tomorrow in UK and other cities in Europe.

Get her on the VMA's, EMA's or some stupid show like that for gods sake and make her perform the next single, which I hope is GANG BANG.

This should have been one of her biggest come backs ever, especially after a pause of 4 years. MDNA is a great fucking album. Its still beyond me how they managed to COMPLETELY screw it over.

AMEN

It should be a medley of sorts like "Shanti" and "Ray of Light" at the VMAs, so a snippet of one song going into another one...

Perhaps a theatrical trailer (video) for "Gang Bang" followed by a full on performance of "Girl Gone Wild" THE CURRENT SINGLE WHICH NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT.

Oh but at least it's Number 1 in the dance chart - thanks Guy O. Does he know that even Male C has had a Number 1 in that chart?

Sorry but if they want the album to sell in the USA she needs to do The Voice, American Idol and VMAs.

If they want the album to sell in the UK she needs to do The Voice UK, X Factor and Graham Norton (and I don't mean sit down and talk about Wallace Simpson but actually talk about your music and perform!).

More singles from the album is a good idea but MDNA is an album's album.

"Turn up the Radio" is the most commercial thing on it. I can't think of any other potential singles! "Girl Gone Wild" is already DOA.

this is the beggining of the end!!!! scary!!!

Bullshit. Never count Madonna out. As I said elsewhere, she just needs to stop resting on her laurels and do some fucking promotion. No artist can rely on their name alone these days. Whether we like to admit or not, no artist is so big that they don't need to promote their product. She went to town for W.E, so why not for this? And don't give me this shite about the tour is so soon, they choose that timescale and maybe just maybe in the future they need to re-think it. As for her not being in the know, thats no excuse. She should not remove herself so much that she cannot see the wood for the trees.

I am annoyed about the album not being given proper exposure either, but as long as we get one more GOOD video (Gang Bang or Turn Up The Radio) it will be a good era for me. If she doesn't wanna promote like Lady Gaga then I don't care.

I don´t want her to promote the album like gaga: I want her to promote the album like madonna!interviews in different magazines, photoshoots,a few TV interviews, a few performances...nothing more!

I don´t want her to promote the album like gaga: I want her to promote the album like madonna!interviews in different magazines, photoshoots,a few TV interviews, a few performances...nothing more!

Agree completely, but just bloody promote it!

all of this while according to reports Gaga is expected to sell out tomorrow in UK and other cities in Europe.

lady gags is playing in a small arena in places like the netherlands& belgium. even springsteen and bon jovi couldn't sell out a stadium here. only U2 could.