Madonna Songs on "American Idol"

ROCKERITO_MX

Boy, please. You are so full of it. I never BELITTLE Madonna, and it is unfair to compare her to anyone on this forum. She is a PUBLIC figure who lives a very high profile life. I will poke fun at her plastic surgery or give her shit for starting her concerts close to midnight, but I have the utmost respect, love and admiration for her as both artist and person. Learn the definition of belittlement.

PS: We obviously do not see eye to eye, so I am suggesting that we call a truce. I will not respond to your posts, you do not respond to mine.

I have the utmost respect, love and admiration for you as both an artist and a person. Can I take the piss out of you now? Yeah I suppose we could call 'a truce' but basically we're both entitled to our own opinion and that's the way it is...

I am not sure about what happened a few years ago...but I have a feeling after the Super Bowl n lady gaga comparison, a lot of teenagers now know her songs better. In fact, America was one the most forgetful country in the world. I remember I was listening to the radio the day Whitney Houston died, one guy called the station to talk about his encounter with mike from jersey shore n how much of a scene he caused...and when the topic turned back to wh, he had no idea who she was, and referred her as the African American female singer just died.... I guess the lesson is this: throughout m's 30 year career, there were times when she was relevant in the us, and times when she was not, ESP during the period she lay low.. But in order to be remembered here, a singer has to make the news constantly n make a scene from every few years..

I have the utmost respect, love and admiration for you as both an artist and a person. Can I take the piss out of you now? Yeah I suppose we could call 'a truce' but basically we're both entitled to our own opinion and that's the way it is...

See, and then you come across so sweet and nice and then I feel silly for getting all riled up at you. This tension, let's take it out....in person...naked ;) I love to wrestle.....naked....lol.

Anyway, different points of views and opinions are fine and what make forums (and the world) go-round..... and so is taking the piss outta one another, I am the first to make fun of both myself and other.... but you often seem as though you are berating and dismissing.....perhaps it is just the nature of communication on the interwebs. In person, I am sure it would all be very different.

Promise to call me if you venture your sexy self into the ol' US and I promise to do the same whenever I come Union Jack-side. :smooch:

Guest Not4Pussies

She was referring to Niki's solo, who originally sang in the song (obviously). What I mean is that I don't think she was trying to be a bitch for once.

Nicki Minaj looks so pretty though and I love all the praise for the song. The performance was pretty boring, but it just goes to show that not everyone can do what Madonna does. In fact, no one can. :cool:

i sensed a lot of bitchiness and shade. why give props to the background singer and not Madonna. makes no sense.

i sensed a lot of bitchiness and shade. why give props to the background singer and not Madonna. makes no sense.

Mariah has always thrown shade at Madonna.....seems some things never change.

No. She was talking about the vocal riffing done by Nikki. I thought that was quite clear. I really don't like Mariah or her career but she was speaking the truth. The song isn't written with a big voice in mind.

Yeah the song was written with actually understanding the words in mind.

I understand what she was saying but who refers to the backup as the original singer of the song?

Edited by Larkspur

@CMoody I agree with you that times have changed. When I was a teen I wanted to know everything and I listened to everything and read about everything. American Idol contestants didn't know big Beatles songs not little known ones and what I read above about not really knowing who Whitney was and you say a lot don't know Madonna's music. Well that is not an insult to these stars. That shows how unbelievable clueless people are today.

Yeah the song was written with actually understanding the words in mind.

I understand what she was saying but who refers to the backup as the original singer of the song?

SHE DIDN'T SAY THE ORIGINAL SINGER OF THE SONG! Go back and list again. She says the singer of that part on the original song. She is talking about the gospel riffing at the climax of the song. For Gods sake.

@CMoody I agree with you that times have changed. When I was a teen I wanted to know everything and I listened to everything and read about everything. American Idol contestants didn't know big Beatles songs not little known ones and what I read above about not really knowing who Whitney was and you say a lot don't know Madonna's music. Well that is not an insult to these stars. That shows how unbelievable clueless people are today.

That's what surprised me, I would have thought that with more technology at the hands of a new generation, radio and television would no longer dictate what was popular and relevant as it used to, and artists left of the mainstream or "past their prime" would have a better chance being seen/heard, but it seems that the opposite is true. I was really disappointed when my ex would tell me these stories of how he mentioned or played Madonna to his classes (he was a dance teacher and these were DANCE students no less) and they were generally clueless. He said that some of the older teens were into Madonna as sorta an 80's throwback kinda way.....

In my world, Madonna is and always will be the biggest megastar to ever exist.....but to the kids of today, it's whoever dominates the blogs and entertainment headlines, however briefly. I do agree that major events such as the Super Bowl helped to expose her to a newer generation (as long as they didn't view her as an artist from their parent's day)...and as much as some people hate to hear it, the Gaga comparisons certainly gained her popularity amongst the younger fans, be it out of curiosity, a dislike for Gaga or simply be hearing her name mentioned all the time. The positive side of all the technology is that it allows new fans to instantly seek out and find Madonna's vast treasure of material. Check out YouTube comments and you will often see young fans commenting.

To be fair, how many of Jimi Hendrix's songs do people from our generation know? It takes time for people to educate themselves and not everybody is a music lover. I have to agree with Chelle though, every young person in England will recognise M's music.

To be fair, how many of Jimi Hendrix's songs do people from our generation know? It takes time for people to educate themselves and not everybody is a music lover. I have to agree with Chelle though, every young person in England will recognise M's music.

I think it's no secret that England is home to a far more cultured and educated brood of youngins than what we boast of here in the US. And you are right about people educating themselves, that is how M (and most artists over 30) will be discovered by the younger generation, where in our day, we still had radio and television exposing us to legends and artists that we would otherwise had most likely not sought out ourselves.

In today's world, EVERYONE is a celebrity for nothing. Look at the Kardashians, Jersey Shore peeps, etc. The celebrity culture is no longer dominated by artists who define a craft, but exhibitionists who crave the spotlight, however brief and at whatever cost.

Who cares what this old lush thinks?

Shes on auto pilot now due to the show dropping faster than Kim Kardashians knickers

I agree, I grew up with Let's dance era David Bowie (when I was like age 3-5 :lol: )...During my teens I started examining

his back catalog cuz people kept referring 2 him in interviews & reviews.

Not only couldn't teens name one of Mariah's songs, they probaly couldn't name her most current.

You know I could be wrong but I think Mariah only has one UK number 1 in her career even after the many songs with gifted male singers.

You know the original singers of those songs.

Yes you're wrong.

She has 2 UK #1.

1. Without You - Cover version

2. Against All Odd (With WasteLife) - ANOTHER cover version.

In other words, NONE of her own song made it to #1.

In addition, if it's w/o WasteLife, Mimi's solo cover version of AAO might not even make it to Top30 'cos it's SO fucking awful.

I cringe EVERY SINGLE TIME I heard it.

I remember there was an article about Mariah, right before Confessions, and it had a quote from JD, basically saying that she doesn't have to worry about Madonna 'cause she makes that horrid 'boom boom' music that no one in the US likes. Too bad it's the same kind of music that killed both their careers for good.

SHE DIDN'T SAY THE ORIGINAL SINGER OF THE SONG! Go back and list again. She says the singer of that part on the original song. She is talking about the gospel riffing at the climax of the song. For Gods sake.

Well I can't go back because the video has been removed. What's the point anyway.

Yes you're wrong.

She has 2 UK #1.

1. Without You - Cover version

2. Against All Odd (With WasteLife) - ANOTHER cover version.

In other words, NONE of her own song made it to #1.

In addition, if it's w/o WasteLife, Mimi's solo cover version of AAO might not even make it to Top30 'cos it's SO fucking awful.

I cringe EVERY SINGLE TIME I heard it.

I was like who's Wastelife? LOL

I agree, I grew up with Let's dance era David Bowie (when I was like age 3-5 :lol: )...During my teens I started examining

his back catalog cuz people kept referring 2 him in interviews & reviews.

How old are you? I loved that song as a child. I have older siblings which in some ways broadened my horizons but the other thing is that music channels used to PLAY MUSIC VIDEOS and they just played great music regardless of genre and era. I really miss those days. I understand business and money but why does nobody make music for pure creative expression any more? I mean, you had ugly pigs with boring videos getting rich because their songs were great. It always makes me laugh when I see teens with Nirvana tees etc because I lived through that and it seems strange that somebody ten years younger than me follows it as a past generation kind f thing. Let's face it, when we're young we're invincible and unstoppable which is a great thing to hold on to but still...an open mind is essential.

Until you're old enough to care to investigate music that was popular before you were alive, the only way you encounter it is through mom and dad - I doubt too many dad's are digging out their Madonna CDs so it's left to the moms - whom, I might add, we encountered in costume at the MDNA tour this fall - some of the kids know - and when I was a high school teacher, all the kids who really knew Madonna knew her because of their moms (they would bring me in their moms' old tapes - as if I didn't have them already) - and because they knew I loved Madonna, they were very curious and constantly talked about her - same is true now for my students at the community college -

It's funny... everyone goes on about Madonna not having a big voice, not being a "true singer", "she can't sing", her songs are not hard to sing and anyone can do it, etc... And yet, 99% of the time, covers of Madonna songs (the few that there are) are HORRIBLE.

Whether it's how the song is being sung, the useless and unnecessary vocal acrobatics (as if that's what makes a good singer nowadays...), arrangement, etc... and as proven by Mariah's useless commentary... they all just do not "get it".

Madonna's songs were never meant for vocal showmanship. They are about storytelling...performance...attitude...confessions...songs to be sung from the heart, not from the head.

But so much of the industry, and the public... and certainly with the ridiculous abundance of tv talent shows with everyone vying for their 15 minutes, to show off, to win... seem consumed with vocal acrobatics, and showing off, belting and high notes...as if that is what makes a great singer.

But sadly it seems forgotten that music, and singing, is so much more than that. It's one thing to be an entertainer...it's another to be an artist.

Just goes to show how this person that everyone says "can't sing", can't even have her songs properly sung by "real" singers...

It's funny... everyone goes on about Madonna not having a big voice, not being a "true singer", "she can't sing", her songs are not hard to sing and anyone can do it, etc... And yet, 99% of the time, covers of Madonna songs (the few that there are) are HORRIBLE.

Whether it's how the song is being sung, the useless and unnecessary vocal acrobatics (as if that's what makes a good singer nowadays...), arrangement, etc... and as proven by Mariah's useless commentary... they all just do not "get it".

Madonna's songs were never meant for vocal showmanship. They are about storytelling...performance...attitude...confessions...songs to be sung from the heart, not from the head.

But so much of the industry, and the public... and certainly with the ridiculous abundance of tv talent shows with everyone vying for their 15 minutes, to show off, to win... seem consumed with vocal acrobatics, and showing off, belting and high notes...as if that is what makes a great singer.

But sadly it seems forgotten that music, and singing, is so much more than that. It's one thing to be an entertainer...it's another to be an artist.

Just goes to show how this person that everyone says "can't sing", can't even have her songs properly sung by "real" singers...

VogueMusic, agree with your every word. Bravo :clap:

I know it's not American Idol, but a few weeks ago, "The Power of Good-Bye" was sung in the 6th Danish season of the X Factor by Stephanie Ravn Carlsen, who was mentored by Ida Corr and eventually finished 5th. I actually think her performance was better than any of Madonna's live performances of the song.

I know it's not American Idol, but a few weeks ago, "The Power of Good-Bye" was sung in the 6th Danish season of the X Factor by Stephanie Ravn Carlsen, who was mentored by Ida Corr and eventually finished 5th. I actually think her performance was better than any of Madonna's live performances of the song.

[media=]

[/media]

:lmao:

This is why I cannot watch anyone perform Madonna's songs. No one ever get's it right.

Aside from this girl screaming her way through, her interpretation didn't sound convincing for such a powerful song. They should have made the cunt perform a Kelly Clarkson song instead.

THIS.

I couldn't agree more.

The first time Madonna songs were performed on the show (aside from "You Must Love Me")- guess the Powers That Be finally gave clearance.

Kelly Clarkson auditioned with Express Yourself when the show first started!

That was awful. :lmao: It's like, very cruise ship/wedding singer.