Guest groovyguy

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/04/madonna-mdna/

Madonna: MDNA

By Eric Allen April 9th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Madonna

MDNA

(Live Nation/Interscope)

Rating: ★★★½☆

A lot comes to mind when hearing the name Madonna, but the most important things should be her songwriting and musical legacy rather than her celebrity status and scandalous sexcapades. After all, she has managed to sell over 300 million records, amassed a number one album in four different decades, and her Sticky & Sweet Tour was the highest-grossing concert tour by a solo artist of all time. With her 12th studio album, MDNA, Madonna begins a new phase of her multi-generational career, while reminding us of all the reasons why she initially made us pause and take notice her 30 years ago. The Material Girl’s eagerly awaited new album (her first since parting ways with Warner Brothers Records) features something for everyone: radio pop, pulsating club bangers, and even a smidgeon of balladry (something we haven’t heard from Ms. Ciccone in quite some time), all performed with ample musical panache.

Although it may not be guilty of being this year’s most cutting edge record, Madonna and her co-producers (William Orbit, Martin Solveig, Demolition Crew, and Benny Benassi), make MDNA sound both unique and contemporary. This 60-minute musical time capsule gives glimpses of Lady M’s musical past, present, and future. Yet, despite its profuse variety, MDNA is surprisingly unified and finds her at her most vocally impressive in many years. While no two albums have ever been alike, all of Madonna’s records have her unique musical stamp, which is a testament to her oft overlooked songwriting and production style. It’s also clearly evident learning to play guitar has greatly influenced her songwriting, most notably on “I Fucked Up,” “Masterpiece” and “Falling Free.”

MDNA is loaded with a rousing array of musical gems, including a fruitful revisit to the Ray of Light playbook (“I’m A Sinner”), the rapid-fire rapper “I Don’t Give A” (featuring a fierce diatribe courtesy of Nicki Minaj), and “Love Spent,” most certainly dance music’s first inclusion of banjo sampling. Also here is the darkly violent “Gang Bang,” which finds Madonna blowing off steam about her much publicized divorce from film director Guy Ritchie (“Bang bang shot you dead/Shot my lover in the head/Now drive bitch/And while you’re at it die bitch”).

Unfortunately, the album also includes a couple of tedious throwaways: the laughable “B-Day Song” and the monotonous “Best Friend,” but overall MDNA more than lives up to its title’s triple entendre (an abbreviation of her name, a reference to ecstasy, and a nod to her own musical DNA) and serves up an ample amount of everything that is Madonna. Don’t waste time looking for a meaningful concept or theme because there isn’t one.

No, MDNA can’t be hailed as Madge’s best ever album, and it may not contain the most thought- provoking lyrics of her career (perhaps an intentional tongue-in-cheek poke at the current state of pop music?), but it is the reigning Queen of Pop’s most inspired work since Music, as well as the highly addictive record Madonna celebrants have been craving. Sometimes you just need to dance.

Good idea. I put Some Girls before Gang Bang and moved I'm Addicted right after GMAYL.

Mine.

01. Gang Bang

02. Girl Gone Wild

03. Some Girls

04. I'm A Sinner

05. Turn Up The Radio

06. Beautiful Killer

07. I'm Addicted

08. Love Spent

09. Superstar

10. B-Day Song

11. Give Me All Your Luvin'

12. I Don't Give A

13. I Fucked Up

14. Falling Free

15. Masterpiece

This review is froma free newspaper from Spain, called 20 minutes:

"Empecé a escuchar con reticencias el nuevo trabajo de madonna, pero cambié de idea tras dedicarle un buen rato.No es que sea un granproducto, pero puede que sea mejor que el anterior y peor que el que va a venir después.Y eso, trataándose de una mujer que lleva unas cuantas décadas en esto, es esperanzador. se ha rodeado de muchos productores y autores añadidos para sacar lo mejor de sí misma y de su talento, en el que flotan bastante bien temas como Turn up the radio, I´m asinner e incluso el repetitivo I´m Addicted. Superstar o GMAYL, por el contrario, no sugieren grandes cosas.Y que alguien me explique gang bang, si es que puede hacerlo.Coloquilamente se lellama el disco del divorcio: no hay que leer entre lineas, sólo hay que escuchar."

So, basically, she´s saying that she wasn´t expecying a ,lot because of HC, but, after listening to the album, she feels that it´s not a great one, but certainly a goood one, better than HC, and probably worse than her next one, and, after all the time she´s been in the business, that´s really positive.She says that she has used some producers and righters to make her talent look better, and songs like I´m addicetd, TUTR or I´m asinner are really good, while superstar and GMAYL don´t add anything.She also mentiones Gang bang, and mentions that you don´t have to read betwween the lines to know why this album is called her divorce album buy a lot of people

I've contacted Metacritic about adding the Billboard review for MDNA, giving a link where they could see the review that appeared in Billboard. This was it:

Madonna, MDNA

Madonna is still very much the queen of pop. Her 12th studio album, MDNA, is a collection of thoroughly pumping pop tunes, some of which are slices of sheer brilliance. Not only does Madonna take us to the club with the new album, she exhausts us, drains us and confides in us. Five minutes after an aerobic workout on the dancefloor, listeners are in her private booth, where she's spilling her guts about relationships and how things just didn't work out the way she'd planned. Then, five minutes later, we're back to dancing up a storm to a song like "Gang Bang." The track is one of the album's many standouts, a dark, throbbing tune that's twisted, surprising and altogether pop-tastic. Also notable is the summery pop nugget "Turn Up the Radio," the full-throttle digital rave-up of "I'm Addicted" and the driving clever wordplay of "Love Spent." Curiously, the set's first single- the rah-rah "Give Me All Your Luvin' "- doesn't properly prepare listeners for what they're going to get on the album. Basically, set that introduction aside and approach MDNA with an open mind.- KC

Guest groovyguy

http://thirtymale.com/2012/04/12/haters-gun-for-madonna-but-she-soars-anyway/

Haters gun for Madonna, but she soars anyway

by Isaiah Webster III on Apr 12, 2012 • 12:13 PM

As expected, Madonna’s “MDNA” fell significantly in its second week on the Billboard albums chart, and as expected, the vultures were all over the Internet dancing atop Madge’s supposed “failure.” Seriously, I could have predicted how this week would go even before the Superbowl performance!

Throughout Madonna’s entire career there has always been a faction of people rooting for her to fail. It’s been this way for the last 25 years. Part of it is the media’s desire to build up and tear down celebrities, and part of it is a resentment of strong women actually being successful. In any case, Madonna (and her fans) have become quite use to being rooted against.

Last week, Madonna’s 12th studio album “MDNA” debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling more than 360,000 copies. That amount was inflated because Madge’s team was able to include albums sold with a concert promotion. People who bought upcoming concert tickets were able to get the album as part of their concert ticket purchase. So, given that the first-week sales were inflated to begin with, and given that Madonna hasn’t done any major promotion of the album since the Superbowl — it would have been reasonable to expect a steep decline in charting this week. (Read a balanced take on the charting of the album here.)

Despite that expectation, the Internet was ablaze the last two days, trumpeting the decline of Madonna, and calling her album a flop. Common sense would tell you that 14 days is insufficient time to label an album a flop!

As you might expect, such knee-jerk declarations of failure are not entirely accurate. While it’s true that Madonna does not sell as many albums as she once did, she does sell-out concert venues around the world. So, while some people may not spend $15 on a Madonna album, they do spend on average $115 on a concert ticket. And many fans spend much more than that to see Madge live.

When you consider the number of shows Madonna will sell out, and when you look at how much people are spending to see her, you get a fuller view of her popularity and relevance. It’s hard to sell CDs when radio stations refuse to play your music! But given that her stage shows are second to none, Madge has made a strategic decision to focus on perfecting them. And that’s a smart business move …just like every business move Madonna makes.

At 53, I doubt Madonna cares much about her press clippings. She is now a living legend, and has nothing else to prove to anybody. But as a devoted fan, it does bother me that hateful people look for any opportunity to bring this woman down. Every thing that Madonna has now she has earned. Her success is a true testament to resilience and hard work. I think it should be celebrated.

The critics actually believe that their hatefulness will hurt Madge. But the truth is, after all these years — people are still talking about, thinking out and musing about, Madonna. And she’s laughing all the way to the bank.

Guest groovyguy

Win MDNA at Ici Paris XL

To celebrate the release of Madonna's Truth or Dare, Ici Paris XL is giving away 50x Madonna's new album MDNA.

Enter HERE

As expected, Madonna’s “MDNA” fell significantly in its second week on the Billboard albums chart, and as expected, the vultures were all over the Internet dancing atop Madge’s supposed “failure.” Seriously, I could have predicted how this week would go even before the Superbowl performance!

Throughout Madonna’s entire career there has always been a faction of people rooting for her to fail. It’s been this way for the last 25 years. Part of it is the media’s desire to build up and tear down celebrities, and part of it is a resentment of strong women actually being successful. In any case, Madonna (and her fans) have become quite use to being rooted against.

Last week, Madonna’s 12th studio album “MDNA” debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling more than 360,000 copies. That amount was inflated because Madge’s team was able to include albums sold with a concert promotion. People who bought upcoming concert tickets were able to get the album as part of their concert ticket purchase. So, given that the first-week sales were inflated to begin with, and given that Madonna hasn’t done any major promotion of the album since the Superbowl — it would have been reasonable to expect a steep decline in charting this week. (Read a balanced take on the charting of the album here.)

Despite that expectation, the Internet was ablaze the last two days, trumpeting the decline of Madonna, and calling her album a flop. Common sense would tell you that 14 days is insufficient time to label an album a flop!

As you might expect, such knee-jerk declarations of failure are not entirely accurate. While it’s true that Madonna does not sell as many albums as she once did, she does sell-out concert venues around the world. So, while some people may not spend $15 on a Madonna album, they do spend on average $115 on a concert ticket. And many fans spend much more than that to see Madge live.

When you consider the number of shows Madonna will sell out, and when you look at how much people are spending to see her, you get a fuller view of her popularity and relevance. It’s hard to sell CDs when radio stations refuse to play your music! But given that her stage shows are second to none, Madge has made a strategic decision to focus on perfecting them. And that’s a smart business move …just like every business move Madonna makes.

At 53, I doubt Madonna cares much about her press clippings. She is now a living legend, and has nothing else to prove to anybody. But as a devoted fan, it does bother me that hateful people look for any opportunity to bring this woman down. Every thing that Madonna has now she has earned. Her success is a true testament to resilience and hard work. I think it should be celebrated.

The critics actually believe that their hatefulness will hurt Madge. But the truth is, after all these years — people are still talking about, thinking out and musing about, Madonna. And she’s laughing all the way to the bank.

so fucking true.

ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK! That's right bitches! Hate! Keep hating! :clap:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6958

Madonna is HMV's ''My Inspiration'' 300th featured artist

UK music retailer HMV revealed the design of their landmark 300th "My Inspiration" poster - graced by the original Queen of pop herself, Madonna!

The "My Inspiration" campaign began in 2006 when David Bowie selected a line from Syd Barrett's 'Gigolo Aunt' as his inspiration, and since then many of our greatest artists ranging from Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan to Beyonce and Lady Gaga have taken part.

Madonna - who recently secured her 12th UK no.1 album with 'MDNA' - is the 300th artist to participate, and was especially invited by way of celebrating this special landmark. For her poster, she revealed Patti Smith's acclaimed recording of "Gloria" - featured on her 1975 debut album 'Horses' - as one of her key musical inspirations and influences. Along with the Patti Smith lyric choice, Madonna's 'my inspiration' artwork features the celebrated photography of Mert Alas and Marcus Piggot.

Madonna particularly cites the song's memorable opening lyric "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine", which Patti Smith added as part of a radical punk reworking of the original version written by Van Morrison in 1964 when he was with the band Them.

Madonna selected the lyric/song when recently invited to take part in HMV's my inspiration campaign - where iconic artists and cutting-edge new talent are asked to share with fans the music or text that has most inspired them in their lives and in their recording careers.

my-inspiration.jpg

Guest groovyguy

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnalicious/2012/04/mdna-and-2012-tour-lithographposter.html

'MDNA' and '2012 Tour' lithograph/poster

Here is a closer look at the MDNA limited-edition lithograph and 2012 tour poster that are available online at the Madonna Official Merchandise store.

merchandise_lithograph_poster_news.jpg

Fans who have received the large lithograph and posters are very pleased with what they received! The limited edition 'MDNA' lithograph retails at $75 and the tour poster at $14.95. For more information click HERE.

MDN53876.jpg

Buy HERE

MDN53906.jpg

Buy HERE

I rather have the poster. It's far more unique and cooler looking. Also, much cheaper. I find it a bit ridiculous that the Lithograph is so expensive when in reality, it's just a poster as well. So big deal if a number of authenticity comes with it... it's still a $75 poster. That's outrageous.

I bought the TRUE BLUE one when it was reduced to $25 last summer. Unfortunately, they didn't start shipping them until this last Christmas. :thumbsdown: I love it, but it's just a poster. I've always wanted a wall poster of the True Blue album, so when it was marked down, I jumped for it.

the same asshole posted something again: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerfriedman/2012/04/17/madonna-mdna-steep-chart-drop-continues/

Madonna "MDNA" Steep Chart Drop Continues

Madonna vs. Lionel Richie: it’s the tale of two major stars from the 1980s. Later today, when all the numbers are in, Madonna’s “MDNA” album will likely have fallen out of the top 15. Sources predict “MDNA” sold around 20,000 copies last week, more than 50% lower than its second week and miles away from its debut three weeks ago with a controversial 359,000 copies. Of course, that first week is colored by Madonna selling 185,000 copies of the CD that were “bundled” with concert tickets. The numbes were inflated. In the second week, the reality set in.

The sales drop is all the more profound considering that amazon.com was selling two versions jof “MDNA” — one digital, one physical– for just 5 dollars. Even that move didn’t boost sales.

Richie, on the other hand, debued with 200,000 in sales but lost his chance at number 1 with the Madonna sales promotion. Last week, Nicki Minaj grabbed number 1 from Lionel with a quick hit. But now this week, Lionel’s “Tuskegee” will finally get the top spot, with 125,000 copies. No one deserves it more. And a good thing, too, since news reports suggest that Lionel owes the IRIS some back tax money.

But Lionel’s number 1 is hard earned. He’s done a ton publicity, culminating in a TV special last week on CBS. With his countrymusic co-stars, Richie hit the CBS sweet spot of older viewers, He clearly knows who his audience is, and is happy to play to them. Madonna, however, is lot in the woods–selling a perfume named for a 20 year old documentary, and trying to act the age of her teen daughter’s pals. But who is Madonna at age 54? The audience doesn’t know and she doesn’t seem to either.

-------------

He sounds like a broken record. He sure has personal issues with M!

the same asshole posted something again: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerfriedman/2012/04/17/madonna-mdna-steep-chart-drop-continues/

Madonna "MDNA" Steep Chart Drop Continues

Madonna vs. Lionel Richie: it’s the tale of two major stars from the 1980s. Later today, when all the numbers are in, Madonna’s “MDNA” album will likely have fallen out of the top 15. Sources predict “MDNA” sold around 20,000 copies last week, more than 50% lower than its second week and miles away from its debut three weeks ago with a controversial 359,000 copies. Of course, that first week is colored by Madonna selling 185,000 copies of the CD that were “bundled” with concert tickets. The numbes were inflated. In the second week, the reality set in.

The sales drop is all the more profound considering that amazon.com was selling two versions jof “MDNA” — one digital, one physical– for just 5 dollars. Even that move didn’t boost sales.

Richie, on the other hand, debued with 200,000 in sales but lost his chance at number 1 with the Madonna sales promotion. Last week, Nicki Minaj grabbed number 1 from Lionel with a quick hit. But now this week, Lionel’s “Tuskegee” will finally get the top spot, with 125,000 copies. No one deserves it more. And a good thing, too, since news reports suggest that Lionel owes the IRIS some back tax money.

But Lionel’s number 1 is hard earned. He’s done a ton publicity, culminating in a TV special last week on CBS. With his countrymusic co-stars, Richie hit the CBS sweet spot of older viewers, He clearly knows who his audience is, and is happy to play to them. Madonna, however, is lot in the woods–selling a perfume named for a 20 year old documentary, and trying to act the age of her teen daughter’s pals. But who is Madonna at age 54? The audience doesn’t know and she doesn’t seem to either.

-------------

He sounds like a broken record. He sure has personal issues with M!

Somebody please shoot him dead (in the head). Thanks.

But who is Madonna at age 54? The audience doesn’t know and she doesn’t seem to either.

All I know is she is way more famous, richer,smarter and has more of a fulfilling life than the person who wrote this piece of crap !