MDNA ALBUM DISCUSSION (CONTINUED)

Ai Papi Si.

Guest groovyguy

And I remember too the big shock of starting a tour so soon after an album release THEN. Hard Candy was even sooner and this time around is even sooner again. Maybe next time she'll release the album as the tour starts :lol:

In Guy O's words, "The focus is getting the show together so [MDNA] the album can come to life.."

And I remember too the big shock of starting a tour so soon after an album release THEN. Hard Candy was even sooner and this time around is even sooner again. Maybe next time she'll release the album as the tour starts :lol:

That's how a lot of entertainers did it back in the day. The difference is that most of those artists didn't spend 6 months preparing for a show. They usually didn't have the big theatrics that Madonna adds to her shows. So it was easier to put together.

A lot of people here forget or misinformed, but a tour is essentially the major promotion of anyone's album. So it really floors me when people say Madonna isn't doing any conventional promotion when a tour is just that. And Just because it doesn't do much for her albums, doesn't mean that a tour doesn't support an album. In many cases, it does for artists, especially more low key artists that don't have access to the media as Madonna does and the ability to shift albums as soon as it's released as Madonna does.. It's possible that there will come an album where she will release it right as when the tour kicks off. She only did that once and that was for the I'M BREATHLESS album. Of course, that all was strategically planned around the film DICK TRACY and to feature the LIKE A PRAYER album. I can see her doing a more intimate tour in the future where it's possible the album is released at the same time.

I am assuming a lot of you complaining about the lack of promotion are quite young and weren't fans during the 80's when she didn't do all the promotion you're wanting her to do now. The way she has approached MDNA reminds me of when she released her albums back in the day. She simply let the music and videos speak for itself. If the music is good, then no amount of interviews or performances on silly talk shows, etc., will make a difference.

And for those who keep saying, "well, she's making time to promote TRUTH OR DARE fragrance".... hmmm, so spending 12-16 hour days in rehearsals for a tour isn't making time to showcase her new album??

Guest Not4Pussies

It's definitely too front loaded with the first 4 dance songs, a good tactic at times but they would stick out more if they were spread through the album as surprises.

Good idea. I put Some Girls before Gang Bang and moved I'm Addicted right after GMAYL.

This is MINE! :wow:

1. Girl Gone Wild

2. Gang Bang

3. I'm Addicted

4. Turn Up the Radio

5. Give Me All Your Luvin'

6. Some Girls

7. Superstar

8. I Don't Give A

9. I'm a Sinner

10. Beautiful Killer

11. Best Friend

12. Love Spent

13. Masterpiece

14. Falling Free

Her BEST album. :thumbsup:

I love B-Day Song but it would ruin the flow. I Fucked Up is the worst song of this era.

:tongue:

Shame on you. Those are the best songs..

Guest gloriesbarcelona

I love the album, best since Confessions without a doubt, still have to listen to it a few times though, and still can't get why Beautiful Killer didn't make it to the proper album and is a bonus track, but I got the deluxe version so still can enjoy there, but it would have fitted perfectly on the second half of the opus...

Loving this era so far, the artwork and vids are great :thumbsup: shame for the lyrics, we don't get them in the leaflet since ROL :(

Guest groovyguy

This should be posted in the MDNA Press Reviews thread but that thread is closed. Don't see the need for a new thread as almost all the reviews were already posted.

http://www.updt.me/go?item=album-review-madonna-mdna-concert-tour&t=fb

Album Review: Madonna ‘MDNA’

Christoph Sushnyk, April 07, 2012

On Hard Candy Madonna catered a bit too much to the dance scene, and as a result it didn’t have the emotional impact many had hoped for and expected. After all, at that point Madonna could seem little more than a brand name for a compilation of music by different producers. While almost every one of MDNA’s 12 tracks is ripe and ready to be played in clubs, they are also very much complete songs this time around. Not only is Madonna present, but out in force.

She makes a valiant attempt to utilize every single entry in our modern musical dictionary, and for the most part the album is surprisingly successful. In recent years Madonna has followed much more than she has lead, and while that’s still partly true, there is not a lot that is musically awkward about MDNA. She doesn’t necessarily have very much to offer in terms of innovation, but she doesn’t bastardize these schools of music, either.

The lead single, ‘Give Me All Your Luvin’, is an exception, and the most guilty of pandering. It’s an egotistical little romp, and while it’s catchy, it sells the album very short. There are much better songs here, and even better singles.

‘I’m a Sinner’ is one of the album’s best tracks, with musical influences from the past five decades brought all together in a seamless and exciting way. Her anti-religious message wears a little thin, but she means it, and a song this good is able to sell it.

Her propensity towards controversial lyrics and imagery comes across as slightly too calculated on some songs, and maybe even forced. When she approaches these things as works of fiction it works very well, and has a big impact, such as on ‘Gang Bang’. However, it doesn’t have the same effect when she is simply talking about how raw and edgy she is, and she spends a good bit of time doing that.

MDNA appears at first to lack any real intimacy, and while ‘Superstar’ tries to fill that void, it’s a little too cute and uninventive to feel authentic. Madonna isn’t speaking from the heart, but instead she provides a collection of cliches that anyone can relate to on the subject of being in love. The very next song, ‘I Don’t Give A’, takes the same approach to the opposite story of a breakup.

It’s not until the album’s final two songs that Madonna truly bares herself, and these two tracks are a return to her early-90s form. ‘Masterpiece’ properly hits that base, and ‘Falling Free’ absolutely nails it. This pairing closes MDNA beautifully and shows that Madonna can still be very artistic and genuine, when she wants to be.

The album strikes a good balance between a dark and alluring sound, and lighter, fun moments. Even without the strength of its ending this would be a better record than any she has put out in the last ten years.

Not too difficult for it to be the best album since COADF- only HC was between that album and the new one. :D

Not that HC is bad- M hasn't really made a BAD album.

" Even without the strength of its ending this would be a better record than any she has put out in the last ten years. "

Guest groovyguy

http://mymdna.com/smirnoff-launches-madonna-mdna-nightlife-uk-campaign/

Smirnoff launches Madonna MDNA Nightlife UK campaign

April 10, 2012

Screen-Shot-2012-04-10-at-11.26.48-AM-600x323.png

To mark the launch of Madonna’s latest album, ‘MDNA’, the Diageo-owned vodka brand is offering a “VIP access card” on limited-edition packs, giving fans access to a free remixed track to download on Facebook, as well as exclusive behind-the-scenes content from Madonna and the opportunity to win tickets to see her in concert.

Smirnoff announced that a remixed Nightlife Edition of ‘MDNA’ album would be available to buy from Facebook for US users for $3.50 (£2.20) in March. UK residents will have the opportunity to download the album from Facebook in the coming weeks.

In May, it will roll out a TV ad by JWT to promote the album, as well as using PR and digital activity.

Smirnoff rolled out its global Nightlife Exchange marketing initiative in September 2010, discovering and celebrating the best nightlife from around the world. It signed up Madonna to front the campaign in August last year.

http://mymdna.com/smirnoff-launches-madonna-mdna-nightlife-uk-campaign/

Smirnoff launches Madonna MDNA Nightlife UK campaign

April 10, 2012

Screen-Shot-2012-04-10-at-11.26.48-AM-600x323.png

To mark the launch of Madonna’s latest album, ‘MDNA’, the Diageo-owned vodka brand is offering a “VIP access card” on limited-edition packs, giving fans access to a free remixed track to download on Facebook, as well as exclusive behind-the-scenes content from Madonna and the opportunity to win tickets to see her in concert.

Smirnoff announced that a remixed Nightlife Edition of ‘MDNA’ album would be available to buy from Facebook for US users for $3.50 (£2.20) in March. UK residents will have the opportunity to download the album from Facebook in the coming weeks.

In May, it will roll out a TV ad by JWT to promote the album, as well as using PR and digital activity.

Smirnoff rolled out its global Nightlife Exchange marketing initiative in September 2010, discovering and celebrating the best nightlife from around the world. It signed up Madonna to front the campaign in August last year.

Too late for damage limitation! They royally screwed that promo up and ended up with a Facebook nightmare. Who's going to bother downloading the crappy remixes now?

And a TV ad? Very non-traditional. So far, the Smirnoff promo hasn't lived up to its expectations. Too little, too late. PR and digital activity? Ugh. Sounds like another one minute youtube clip we're all supposed to get fired up over and forward to our friends to convince them to buy the album. Lame.

Vinyl not out in UK yet. Another couple of weeks supposedly :(

I wonder if they bought the day forward to bolster sales in other countries?

Not too difficult for it to be the best album since COADF- only HC was between that album and the new one. :D

Not that HC is bad- M hasn't really made a BAD album.

I agree.Madonna is one of the few artists that I like something on *every* album she has ever released.Of course,I like some albums more than others,but overall I'm pleased with every album that she has put out.

Guest groovyguy

excuse me while i go by the vinyl even though i don't have a record player - at all.

Turntables are pretty affordable at Amazon.com ranging from $40 over to slightly more than $200. I love listening to my Madonna vinyls especially Erotica. Can't wait to enjoy the MDNA vinyl which is on the way.

Guest groovyguy

https://twitter.com/#!/guyoseary

Islam & Life! ‏ @IslamAndLife

@guyoseary at least release a single at the same time the tour kicks off in the US..

Guy Oseary Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@IslamAndLife we are discussing next single... for now we are "Girl Gone Wild"... the song is #1 on dance charts...

-----------------------------------

Islam & Life! ‏ @IslamAndLife

@guyoseary cool :) Turn up Radio should be third single. jus sayin ;)

Guy Oseary Guy Oseary ‏ @guyoseary

@IslamAndLife a lot of people are talking about "Turn Up the Radio...

Guy has said some stupid things, but "for now we are "Girl Gone Wild"... the song is #1 on dance charts..." has got to be the stupidest. This is the same attitude that put three-four months in between singles from her last three albums. #1 on the dance charts isn't going to stop everyone else from forgetting about the project. I personally think the ship has sailed for U.S. radio, but this just proves that blaming WB for past promotion mistakes was itself a mistake. There's a reason he's called her "manager" and he's been horrible at managing her music career.

Guy has said some stupid things, but "for now we are "Girl Gone Wild"... the song is #1 on dance charts..." has got to be the stupidest. This is the same attitude that put three-four months in between singles from her last three albums. #1 on the dance charts isn't going to stop everyone else from forgetting about the project. I personally think the ship has sailed for U.S. radio, but this just proves that blaming WB for past promotion mistakes was itself a mistake. There's a reason he's called her "manager" and he's been horrible at managing her music career.

We can't blame it all on Guy Oseary. He has a team working on it and i'm sure everyone involved doesn't have a clue, including Madonna herself. This mess just proves that she actually doesn't really have too much input on it as we think she does and Guy Oseary isn't a music expert either. He probably does a better job managing her brand in other ventures like clothing lines, perfumes and everything else.

I'm not saying all of the blame should be on Guy. And I'm not saying I miss WB either. Interscope has already made better decisions than WB ever would have. But I think they're being held back by Guy's decisions. If this were Beyonce, a third single would already be out.