How Madonna has changed our lives

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

When I was growing up through school, I had no friends, or anyone I could talk to about my problems (and especially about my sexuality), I felt terribly alone and suicidal due to the fact I hated myself for being gay.

I had always liked Madonna's music here and there but all I had heard were the hits at that point. However this all changed in 2003 when I heard the song Love Profusion, I heard it on the radio on my way from school where I just had one of the worst experiences I ever had (someone had spray painted the words "cock sucker" on my locker). The song changed my life, I had fallen in love with it, I was surprised when I googled it to find out it was Madonna.

From then I became obsessed, I got a hold of all of Madonna's albums and concerts, I would listen and watch over and over. She taught me how to be proud of myself, how to be strong and how to not take shit from anyone. It's because of her that I had the courage to come out to my parents, and to everyone in school and not care what anyone else said or thought about me. She saved my life.

I'm 22 now, and could not picture my life without Madonna and her music, I still remember the first time I heard Love Profusion and will always remember it. I wanted to share this experience with all the other Madonna fans here and to read about your first experience listening or hearing a Madonna song or watched a Madonna video, and how she has affected your life.

Thanks for reading.

When I was growing up through school, I had no friends, or anyone I could talk to about my problems (and especially about my sexuality), I felt terribly alone and suicidal due to the fact I hated myself for being gay.

I had always liked Madonna's music here and there but all I had heard were the hits at that point. However this all changed in 2003 when I heard the song Love Profusion, I heard it on the radio on my way from school where I just had one of the worst experiences I ever had (someone had spray painted the words "cock sucker" on my locker). The song changed my life, I had fallen in love with it, I was surprised when I googled it to find out it was Madonna.

From then I became obsessed, I got a hold of all of Madonna's albums and concerts, I would listen and watch over and over. She taught me how to be proud of myself, how to be strong and how to not take shit from anyone. It's because of her that I had the courage to come out to my parents, and to everyone in school and not care what anyone else said or thought about me. She saved my life.

I'm 22 now, and could not picture my life without Madonna and her music, I still remember the first time I heard Love Profusion and will always remember it. I wanted to share this experience with all the other Madonna fans here and to read about your first experience listening or hearing a Madonna song or watched a Madonna video, and how she has affected your life.

Thanks for reading.

:inlove: Aww, what an amazing story. I'm very glad you heard Love Profusion. :)

I'll be back with my story in a bit, I have an essay to write.

In school I had friends and I wasn't picked on much more than the norm but I did feel like an outsider anyway- my ideas and way of thinking didn't seem to match anything I was hearing from any friend or relative or much in the outside world. Everyone seemed to be on the opposite page and even surrounded by people that can be a lonely feeling. When I listened to or read Madonna speak in interviews I would feel like finally there was somebody that was thinking the same way. That was a big deal for me. And it was strange because I had initially been attracted to her singing voice, no indication of how she felt about anything. But I do remember when I first made the effort to turn on the radio and get familiar with pop music, she just stood out. Anyway, having issues with shyness and figuring out my sexuality would both benifit from being a fan of hers too.

I never had an issue with my sexuality. When I returned to listen to Erotica as a young adult it certainly fit in with my feelings at the time. :lol: Madonna was omnipresent in my world. She didn't change my life. She enhanced it. If anything Madonna made me think more about gender. I often felt like my gender wasn't right but at the same time I was happy being a man. From things that she has said and written etc I guess she has a lot of feelings about the same thing. I don't feel like I am a woman with a dick. I'm a man who is very much a man but in so many ways I feel like I want to be a woman. I liked that she looked insanely femminine and sexy while being powerful, passionate and in control. So what I'm trying to say is that she straddled the line between man and woman quite successfully and was also accepted for it. Maybe not so well in America for a time, but I definitely think she changed peoples perceptions of Gender.

I know many fans say this, but if Madonna and I met I think our connection would be insane. The Evita diaries kind of made it a definite. haha. Most importantly I love her work. Her dancing was always more important than her singing for me. Singers can be proficient without having such an all encompassing style. Madonnas dancing gave me inspiration, energy, love, positivity in a way that singing alone can't. I'm sure we have a fairly similar background although so do many people. I think we are just both obsessive, neurotic, driven, creative, egotistical firesigns. It's a good thing of course. Friends always make jokes about my crying if Madonna ever died. They know I would. It's not out of empty adoration. She really makes this world a more dynamic and interesting place to live in. That's what I mean about her enhancing my life. Too many people are willing to spend their livs doing NOTHING nowadays. It disgusts me and I just want her ambition and excitement to continue on forever.

Thanks for reading.

:inlove:

Guest groovyguy

For me, MadonnaÂ’s music is like the soundtrack of my life. I can vividly remember my life at its various stages with each Madonna single, album, tour and movie. I feel like as I grow up, sheÂ’s growing up too and her music and creativity reflects that. Strangely, as my life changes, her music also changes, and yet it still seems to fit in perfectly with my life. Perhaps it's not the same for everyone, especially the younger fans - and I am not necessarily referring to a person's age but rather the years of being a fan - who missed out on witnessing Madonna going through the various stages of her life and sharing it through her music, and at the same time, changing music, culture, fashion and feminism. IÂ’m happy and grateful that her music has always been there for me. Through her music, I feel understood, inspired and empowered. And I feel truly blessed to be living in the same time as Madonna and have grown up with her as role model.

Guest OpenYourheart
For me, Madonna’s music is like the soundtrack of my life. I can vividly remember my life at its various stages with each Madonna single, album, tour and movie. I feel like as I grow up, she’s growing up too and her music and creativity reflects that. Strangely, as my life changes, her music also changes, and yet it still seems to fit in perfectly with my life.

I’m happy and grateful that her music has always been there for me. Through her music, I feel understood, inspired and empowered. And I feel truly blessed to be living in the same time as Madonna and have grown up with her as role model.

This applies to me also, Madonna and her music have been there throughout my teenage years and ever since. I have a Madonna song for every mood.

Edited by OpenYourheart

madonna, more than any other artist taught me that being different (for real, not in an "i dress like a freak and i got teased for loving freddy mercury" kind of bull) plus going through a very shitty childhood basically makes you a stronger person in the end. it makes you a fighter.

The most shocking part of your post, MBP, is that you heard "Love Profusion" on the radio- where do you live? :D

I liked songs from the first album and such, and then fell out of following music for a few years. In 1989, she reeled me in with "Like a Prayer," and the video that was causing such a ruckus. My Madge interest escalated in 1990, with "Vogue," Dick Tracy, Blond Ambition Tour, all of that. Aside form loving the music, I was fascinated by this woman who commanded such attention and discussion in the culture, and who used music as a platform for larger ambitions.

I would say, though, that it's the Ray of Light album that changed my life. I was in a dark place around 1997/early 1998 (with personal issues), and after just one listen of the album, the healing process began. Even with some of the songs that I could not directly relate to (i.e. "Drowned World"), there was just something about the album theme as a whole that made me want to heal and improve what was going on in my life at the time. Of course, in retrospect, after experiencing personal loss and such years later, the stuff I was going through at the time does not compare. But for that place and time, that album was a life-changer.

Of course, M's don't-give-a-fuck attitude always has been an inspiration and been impactful.

The most shocking part of your post, MBP, is that you heard "Love Profusion" on the radio- where do you live? :D

I liked songs from the first album and such, and then fell out of following music for a few years. In 1989, she reeled me in with "Like a Prayer," and the video that was causing such a ruckus. My Madge interest escalated in 1990, with "Vogue," Dick Tracy, Blond Ambition Tour, all of that. Aside form loving the music, I was fascinated by this woman who commanded such attention and discussion in the culture, and who used music as a platform for larger ambitions.

I would say, though, that it's the Ray of Light album that changed my life. I was in a dark place around 1997/early 1998 (with personal issues), and after just one listen of the album, the healing process began. Even with some of the songs that I could not directly relate to (i.e. "Drowned World"), there was just something about the album theme as a whole that made me want to heal and improve what was going on in my life at the time. Of course, in retrospect, after experiencing personal loss and such years later, the stuff I was going through at the time does not compare. But for that place and time, that album was a life-changer.

Of course, M's don't-give-a-fuck attitude always has been an inspiration and been impactful.

Sydney, Australia =p. The song was a semi-hit here, peaking at #25 on the charts, the song and video got good airplay (I'd say as much as Hollywood did), the song was getting radioplay months before the single was actually released if I remember correctly.

And that's awesome that Ray Of Light changed your life, it really is such an amazing album.

Guest Pud Whacker

Thanks for reading.

i love that story MBP. huge fan of love profusion, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTUD7Nqgcls

I haven't seen the video in a while, it brings back so much memories, the song is such an underrated gem. IMO it has some of her best lyrics.

I hate to do a 'whats the point' post but there are no words. I was but wasnt the loneliest child in the wooorld - but because of that woman I had a reason. Everything I could type would make it look cheap. No point. I have a diary from when I was 10 saying 'im so sad, i dont want to be sad.' then says 'watched virgin tour 5 times' happy face??. I was only a kid! The words speak for themselves. Jesus the amount of times i turned up the sound on that vhs tape to drown out the shouting and learn the dress u up dance routine. I think it turned us all gay! It did me...and saved me.

Guest vivelareine

I first heard about Madonna through my love for Britney. I hail from that generation of baby pop music and pink tails. And I remember seeing her for (what I recall) the first time in my life in the Me Against the Music video and I imagine that I thought something like, "Who is that woman?" because for as far back as I've known of her, I've always had a fondness for her face, even though I didn't really know who she was... I'm not sure when or how I marked my place in her Queendom, but the first time I connected with her and felt that she was important in my life was when I heard her sing Mother and Father live. We both have lost mothers and have suffered and have been judged on our strong, external, and occasionally defensive personalities. I think she taught me how to be responsible for my life in a way that I hadn't been since my mother's passing. She taught me that there is more than just me who suffers and that ultimately you don't have to be ravaged by your sufferings. And she also taught me to really be fond of something without fear, which for me has been her music and her spirit and her unyielding courage. :inlove:

Like many people here, Madonna came into my life at a crucial time, when I was 12. I saw the Music video on MTV and wasn't too impressed with the song. But the woman fascinated me. Of course I knew who she was, she was a legend, but this was the first time I made the effort to get to know her life and her discography. I was instantly hooked.

I was a really insecure teenager. Struggling with my sexuality, dealing with bad grades at school, feeling like no one in the world understood me. But Madonna gave me strength. It's such an awful cliche, but it's the truth.

And above all, she taught me that with ambition and hard work, you can be who you want to be. Okay, so it wasn't my ambition to go to New York and become the world's biggest pop star. But I wanted to be a journalist and so after high school I went to journalism school and graduated with excellent grades. It had also always been my dream to go to Los Angeles. And so I did my internship in LA during my senior year in college, I spent 3 amazing months there.

I love my parents to death, but they are way too realistic in their thinking. They think dreams are just dreams and nothing more. They always told me to put my feet on the ground. But I wouldn't listen.

And now I'm a journalist for a magazine and I feel like I've already reached a lot of goals I set for myself. And without Madonna, I don't think I would have had the balls to do it.

The night Madonna changed my life was the live airing of The Blond Ambition Tour on HBO. I sat on my ugly green living room carpet completely mesmerized by this force of nature. I had never seen such a strong, powerful woman take such command over a massive live audience. The very moment of that telecast that changed my life was the Where's the Party performance. She showed me through that performance that I am in command of my own life and my voice should be heard. I was in 8th grade at the time, I was shy, confused, felt so awkward and isolated, but Madonna opened my eyes and for the first time I knew who I was. Going back to school I felt liberated, I no longer felt different and from that day on I started to pave my true path. Madonna has been a constant in my life, she has seen me through some very dark times. For example, one day after my uncle died, I had tickets to the Confessions Tour but I wasn't sure if I should go. My aunt said my uncle wouldn't want me to stop my life so I went to the concert. I cried and danced through out the whole show as I mourned and celebrated the life of my uncle in the presence of Madonna. I will never forget that night, it was a very profound experience. :bow:

Madonna is like a mother to me. She completely changed my life. See her in person was like have a vision of GOD! Madonna surely has something very special that nobody can explain...

Madonna is like a mother to me. She completely changed my life. See her in person was like have a vision of GOD! Madonna surely has something very special that nobody can explain...

this. my real mother is dead to me. Madonna is the only constant in my life

would be nice if someone compiled everyone's message in this thread and sent it over to Guy Oseary as a gift to Madonna on her b-day next month. I don't know if she would read them, but at least it would be a nice gesture.

would be nice if someone compiled everyone's message in this thread and sent it over to Guy Oseary as a gift to Madonna on her b-day next month. I don't know if she would read them, but at least it would be a nice gesture.

That would be awesome, I don't know if she'll read them either but it's the gesture that counts.

I wouldn't have a clue on how to get started though =(.

Guest Pud Whacker

i had just turned 13 - i fell in love with her voice first because there were no videos yet. it was like porno. ooooooh yeahhhhhhh, oooh yeahhhhhhhhhh cmon, cmon - i know youve been waiting, yeaaaaaaah, ive been watching you, yeahhhhhhhhh, cmon, cmon,. of course that album cover mesmerized me. still does. i made it into a fucking wall. her strangling herself with a dog chain. that high pitched sex cunt voice has NEVER been duplicated - she has the sexiest singing voice of ALL TIME. burning up, physical attraction, lucky star - i was a kid - my god, it was like she came from the heavens above. and her name was MADONNA.

then i saw borderline. madonna was italian, sexy, street and fabulous. she was a sexy dancer with her own style and a face that rivaled the old movie stars that i was already obsessed with. the deal was sealed with an italian whore kiss.

CHEERS!!! CHEERS!!!

oh wait, ive got preacher in my blood and bones. :rotfl:

how she changed my life? it felt right. i wasnt interested in anybody or anything but myself - so she made me look. it was sex, it was music, it was cinema, it was italian, it was catholic, it was art, it was THAT FACE, it was perfect. just perfect.

l_0a22e946b36b4598baf9d06ac614a834.gif

the first time i heard of her was when i was 12, in 2005. confessions on a dance floor ad was airing furiously for 4 months and i would see a young lady kicking her legs high and singing to a very catchy song. at that time i wasnt interested in music at all, never heard of her, didnt know she's a megastar, didnt know she was 47 and i was laughing at her kicking it high when she sang 'every little thing that you say or do'. after the 4 months indoctrination, i sort of got hooked on that song, so i decided to search for her on the net. to my horror or not, i realised she wasnt 30 years old and was and is such a successful artist. being so intrigued i decided to learn more about her. to my surprise, i really like her entire catalogue of songs, and she was the one who made me interested in music, and maybe even the world. i felt like i found color to my dull school life. it wasnt only her music, but also her performances that made her my idol, it was full or energy, life, and would make anyone feel empowered. till now i can safely say that she's the only artist i will ever love this much, no one else comes close to her.

Guest madgepower

what i learn from her :

If you have anything to say ..say it.

express yourself- be quicker than a ray of light and dance into the groove and of course love makes the world go round.

So everybody got a live to tell....

love, expression and emotion

and don´t forget :

She teach us how to FUCK... :clap:

Guest groovyguy

i had just turned 13 - i fell in love with her voice first because there were no videos yet. it was like porno. ooooooh yeahhhhhhh, oooh yeahhhhhhhhhh cmon, cmon - i know youve been waiting, yeaaaaaaah, ive been watching you, yeahhhhhhhhh, cmon, cmon,. of course that album cover mesmerized me. still does. i made it into a fucking wall. her strangling herself with a dog chain. that high pitched sex cunt voice has NEVER been duplicated - she has the sexiest singing voice of ALL TIME. burning up, physical attraction, lucky star - i was a kid - my god, it was like she came from the heavens above. and her name was MADONNA.

then i saw borderline. madonna was italian, sexy, street and fabulous. she was a sexy dancer with her own style and a face that rivaled the old movie stars that i was already obsessed with. the deal was sealed with an italian whore kiss.

Yes, that voice. To think I thought she was a black singer like Shannon (Let the Music Play) and Deniece Williams (Let's Hear It for the Boys). And then Borderline was aired on MTV. It was love at first sight.