VOGUE/I'M BREATHLESS/BLOND AMBITION TOUR: 20th Anniversary Thread

Mattress

Where is this from? I've never seen that.

It was on-set rehearsal footage provided to news outlets for use in Dick Tracy news stories. Here's one posted a few days ago:

Guest Pud Whacker

Spoiler alert... :D

blankdoll.jpg

i wish i had all the toys and the mask and everything - i was such a snob i thought i was above it all. xo

20 years...I remember it as it was yesterday!!! back in the day I didn´have internet, or Icon, or...i didn´t have a radio to know when a song/album was going out...I lived in the border between france and spain so i couldn´t heard the radio.Well, there was NRJ, but I didn´t understand french, and then the local radio...I still they don´t know madonna has ever existed.

But I remember a newspaper saying that MTV was going to broadcast madonna´s new video for her new song.I was really surprised, because I thought she was going to release more songs from LAP, at least Pray for spanish eyes...and I was surprised because the name of the new song was actually the name of a magazine! I couldn´t understand anything...

And the they I first saw the video, in a spanish music show called Rockopop...wow!I recorded the video and I think still is the video that I have seen more...i even remember the tv journalist, but she said and all...and the song, I really liked since the beguinning, although I was really surprised because my friends didn´t like it! they were more into madonna than me with LAP, and suddenly they didn´t like the song that i really loved! I remember them saying it wasn´t a real song, that it had a lot of sounds but not instruments...but I loved it.And the video, wow! I heard the song for the first time while I saw the video, so it´s impossible for me to separate them...she looked so beautiful! and it was so classy...it´s impossible to do it better!

and that summer it was the first time that madonna was on tour in spain, so she was everywhere, i still have the magazines, the newspapers...everything filed!!!

This is an interesting read if you have the time. First published in 'The Madonna Connection: Representational Politics, Subcultural Identities and Cultural Theory'.

CONNECTION01.png

CONNECTION02.png

CONNECTION03.png

CONNECTION04.png

CONNECTION05.png

CONNECTION06.png

CONNECTION07.png

CONNECTION08.png

CONNECTION09.png

CONNECTION10.png

CONNECTION11.png

CONNECTION12.png

CONNECTION13.png

The CD of Vogue was the first single by Madonna I ever bought and when I first officially become a fan after years of admiring her and being a closet fan of sorts, a few months after the fact in 1990, around the notorious swearfest on Radio 1 of Blonde Ambition which I listened to live (and taped!).

When she did the likes of LAV and LAP/LTT I got chills. Just a godlike catalogue of songs she had built up. Vogue capped it off and 1990 was the year she became a legend and this track and video in particular crystalised her place amongst the greats (if she wasn't already there by around 1987 with the multiple image morphs, but not quite musically substantial YET).

Her sales had slipped a bit in 1989 with the less commercial and artistic LAP remember (the first 3 singles were the obvious hits, with the title track being very brave and the latter 2 classic old school Madonna, "Cherish" especially was an early 80s throwback) and this was originally meant to be a b-side.

And speaking of LAP singles, Vogue was called something of a lesser "Express Yourself" rewrite (there is a slight similarity as with many Madonna uptempos but production wise, and musically, no, completely different, they both have "hey hey" in them :chuckle: ) by AMG in their song reviews and the video is said to recall the EY set but in b&w - then there's the EY hairstyle and single cover, her defining image perhaps.

Spitting Image parodied EY with Madonna at a press conference being asked what her new single EY sounds like and she said "the last one!" :lol: and Pete Waterman said "Vogue" sounded like the last single in his Number One column (with SAW propaganda) which prompted an angry loon to reply "he means Dear Jessie"? :rotfl: But I think he meant EY.

The single cover for the UK was shyt though compared to the US and censored her suspenders, cutting her off above the waist! :lmao: But THAT 12 inch mix. :drama::wow:

Then we got MTV Vogue and JML, even WITH Blonde Ambition. *dies* And I even like "Hanky Panky" now.

This is an interesting read if you have the time. First published in 'The Madonna Connection: Representational Politics, Subcultural Identities and Cultural Theory'.

I've got that book somewhere, I read it at university as research for my final year Sociology & Media dissertation, Madonna Sex And The British Press (I can't recall exactly how I subtitled it but I know I rather pretentiously used the words hegemony and patriarchy somewhere). I included pictures and everything. :fag: Madonna as part of cultural / media studies was very in vogue in the mid 90s, there's a wealth of stuff published.

That's part of the beauty of Madonna, she works on so many levels (well, to me, at least). Her work, of course, stands on its own merits and is itself layered but it (and she) really shines when considered as part of the social and cultural context of the period. She remains the lightning rod for socio sexual politics of our time; other artists and celebrities are certainly more loved but she is arguably the most significant.

1f0d017b42a0aad282dd0210L_SL500_AA3.jpg

They went a little far with the degree in Madonna shyt :rotfl::lmao: she doesn't even have one herself and I don't think she has quite the genius level IQ that is claimed.

But there is no doubt of the layered complexity of the likes of the "Open Your Heart" and "Vogue" videos. Camille Paglia wrote about them :fag: