HITS: Madonna will sell 65-70k in her debut week

thebigham

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07775

PARAMORE GOES FOR TOP SPOT, MARIAH IN HOT PURSUIT

Fueled by Ramen Punk-Rockers Hold the Edge Over Diva in One-Day Returns

September 30, 2009

Paramore, the Fueled by Ramen punk-rock group whose 360-deal with WMG through Atlantic Records has proven a successful new model, look headed for a #1 debut on next week's HITS Album sales chart, based on one-day sales reports from those retailers who still take our calls.

Brand New Eyes, the third studio album from the band, fronted by lead vocalist Hayley Williams, takes an early lead in the race with a one-day sales total that projects to 180-190k for the week. That gives them the edge over Island/IDJ diva Mariah Carey's Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, which is now on target for 160-170k. With a question as to how front-loaded those sales for Paramore are, Carey could close the edge if she has a brisk weekend.

Those two are among the five top debuts next week, all registering in six-figures, including Columbia legend Barbra Streisand's Love is the Answer (150-160k), Hollywood rockers Breaking Benjamin (140-150k) and Virgin/EMI's retooled grunge gods Alice in Chains (130-140k).

Columbia Nashville country darling Miranda Lambert's Revolution heads the other newcomers, with a total approaching 65-75k.

WB Material Gal Madonna's Celebration greatest hits album is in the 60-70k range, as is Interscope goth-punks AFI’s Crash Love.

Disney's latest Hollywood Records crossover cable TV teen star Selena Gomez & The Scene is looking at first-week sales of 50-60k.

Rock on Roll Hall of Famers Lynyrd Skynyrd's latest, God and Guns, on Roadrunner’s Loud and Proud label, looks for an opening week total of 30-40k, same as Williams Street virtual death metal group Dethklok, from Adult Swim's animated Metalocalypse series.

American/Columbia Rick Rubin-produced roots rockers Avett Brothers round out the debuts with 25-30k for their major label bow, I and Love and You.

The market was down 4% vs. last week, down 7% vs. same week last year and still down 14% year to date.

If Mariah opens with the numbers predicted, she will sell less than Janet's Discipline. Of course, Mariah has the holiday season to give her flop a bit of boost - so maybe she will cross 500,000 copies.

I am not as concerned about Madonna. I hoped for more but it could've been worse. I really hope "Revolver" is a single at some point though.

Definite disappointment, but not surprising, I suppose.

There's the top 5 releases with 100K+; and then figure Pearl Jam and Jay-Z will have higher sales. So that laves positions 8-10 open. She will "battle" Miranda Lambert for that #8 slot.

Which leavs one more spot in the top 10- Selena Gomez? (who, incidentally, was horrible on Dancing With Stars- think she lipped). She may battle Whitney and Miley, who each should fall below 60K.

There shouldn't be any acts from this week's chart that sell more than 60K- Three Days Grace debuted wth 79K, but will see the inevitable second-week drop. Harry Connick performs on Letterman tonight, but it's his second week and unlikely to see a boost to 60K+.

If Mariah stays at No 2 Madonna will maintain her lead in No 1 albums. Also with those numbers MOAIA is on track to sell less than Hard Candy.

um.yeah lol! WOW I dont think anyone was expecting this kind of potential disaster for Mimi. Just her fanbase alone shoulda gauranteed well over 250k! again...wow!

GOOD for Barbra lol!! Id even luv to see her kick Mimi into the dust - which is possible. Looks like shes gonna put a decent fight for higher sales.

oh, and the only minor disappointment in all this is M may sell less in the US than UK, YET at least theres little surprise there. Her #s are around what i was expecting so...Again Mimis #s maybe the biggest shocker of the YEAR lol.

Mariah will pull out a #1 by the end of the weekend. Brace yourselves.

I am also feeling that very well may happen (which most were expecting any way), but dont most hardcore fans tend to go out on the first day to buy an album. Even if it gets #1, the 1st week #s are looking horrendous. She may seell less than Glitter once all is said and done. lol.

Guest dicktracy

These are the comparables for the last year or so...

4 SIMPSON*JESSICA DO YOU KNOW 65,154 999 49 65,203

8 ENYA WINTER CAME 92,411 999 36 92,447

9 AGUILERA*CHRISTINA KEEPS GETTIN' BETTER 72,869 - 72,869

15 BRANDY HUMAN 72,772 999 113 72,885

I'll insist on my claims that she should have done some promotion.

Even if a greatest hits is not comparable to a studio album, she still should have done a few performances for the US market.

Barbra is much older and even less radio friendly and she's promoting her album and is going to secure healthy sales and a good chart position.

I am also feeling that very well may happen (which most were expecting any way), but dont most hardcore fans tend to go out on the first day to buy an album. Even if it gets #1, the 1st week #s are looking horrendous. She may seell less than Glitter once all is said and done. lol.

Her team is probably already launching a campaign urging the lambs to buy 2 copies and give Mariah another #1. :wacko:

I haven't bought the celebration album or dvd, and I consider myself pretty hardcore. I'll probably get them tomorrow though. All the Mariah obsession on this board is getting ridiculous. If Madonna was projected to sell 160k, everyone would be rejoicing, so I'm not buying into the Mariah bashing. It's sooo transparent.

Record sales are down for everyone, and if Mariah makes it to #1, I'm sure she won't be crying because she didn't do 3 or 400k. A #1 is a #1 regardless of the numbers. Mariah will be toasting champagne to herself for racking up another #1......and besting Madonna. Childish but true.

Ugh those are stinky numbers, but I am hoping this greatest hits will have legs at least through the holiday. If anything though I am THRILLED that Mariah's new album looks to be headed to flopsville though. :lmao:

Guest SuperBriGuy

Ugh those are stinky numbers, but I am hoping this greatest hits will have legs at least through the holiday. If anything though I am THRILLED that Mariah's new album looks to be headed to flopsville though. :lmao:

:lol: True that. Anyways, Celebration will probably sell well as a catalogue title...that's what I'm banking on, anyways. Kind of like The Immaculate Collection.

But if Moomoo's album flops I will laugh so hard...I can already hear her squealing in whistle register while she smashes some fine freakin' china. Go on, gurl!

Never count Mimi out of the race- but even if she ends up on top, the numbers still will look disappointing. We have five albums projected to sell between 130K-190K- no real stand-out winner among the lot.

And, Oprah was right about one thing- hearing Barbra sing DOES make the hairs on your arm stand up- or at least give you chills. :) Her numbers are looking pretty strong.

Guest nothingfails0603

Did anyone expect a mammoth opening? Greatest Hits albums don't sell like they used to, unless the artist just died (see Number Ones and The Essential Michael Jackson, both albums have sold more since his passing than they sold in the several years before). In the Itunes age, people can mix and make their own Greatest Hits for artists, and the hardcore fans will only download the new songs.

It is Madonna's fault she is only going to sell 60-70k. Not much promo equals not much sales.

I think Mariah's numbers shows how pointless promoting albums has become. She sells 100k more and so what? They had to book her for Oprah and other live performances and she still gets one of her lowest first week sales, and at the very least, more than 50% drop from her previous album 17 months ago. Not to mention that radio kept alive "Obsessed" for 3 and a half months, gave it 80 million audience impression (I believe Madonna reached that level only once in this decade) but it failed to become a sales hit and will not pass 1.5 million. Obviously Mariah is not going to bankrupt, but I do believe the actual profit made on this whole album and its singles will be minimal and shows this kinda promo is not worth it anymore. Yes, for Barbra the Oprah performance worked, but she's in a different league and it's not like her grand total will be passing 500k.

And this was still calculated well for Mariah, because I believe US radio will finally take note of the discrepancy between her airplay and sales so her next lead-off single would not get great airplay. But the thing is, there won't be a new Mariah album in 2010 and judging by these numbers, I'd think in 2011 it will be an achievement for any act to sell 100k for one week, so by that time, we won't be able to tell the difference between flop or not.

All this should put a lot of things in perspective, not only the useless drama about HC "flopping" (the lambs would kill for HC's opening sales now, any maybe even the total!), but if Madonna does not take a break and indeed releases a new album next fall, chances are, it will struggle to reach 500k in total (and that might be a bit generous), even if she has decent airplay, teaming up with another young act, unless she goes to Oprah and releases a Something To Remember part 2.

I admit I expected more for Celebration, but there are so much circumstances against this project anyway and not just the lack of airplay for the single. If everyone except Madonna was selling around 300k, I'd say it would be worrying, but to me these numbers are more about the CD format being near-dead than Madonna being disliked in the US.